As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack 'Batman' Thompson at it again: VS. Kotaku

1235»

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I love that he started the letter "Dear FBI."

Sounds like a letter written by that second grader who wants to be in the secret service when he grows up. You'd never know the man was a lawyer to read his writing.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    Is anyone else tempted to send an email that just reads "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH BWAHAHAHA" to him?
    I'm fairly sure Scott from VGCats has done this.

OmegaVelocity on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Metalfoot wrote: »
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    TheFonz wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    In sending documents to opponents, Thompson would frequently attach a photocopy of his driver's license, with a photo of Batman pasted over his own, just to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. Thompson said, "I have sent my opponents pictures of Batman to remind them I'm playing the role of Batman. Just like Bruce Wayne helped the police in the movie, I have had to assist the sheriff of Broward County." He also wore a Batman wristwatch.
    O_o

And all that was fine, until they found the thirteen year old locked up in his basement, wearing tights and a mask.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think he is?

We're not dealing with a regular lawyer here.

He's the goddamn Batman.

Fixed, but beaten to it. Ah, well.

SithDrummer on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It should also be noted that the case the judge recused himself from was partially due to the fact that Jack announced publicly that he would be running for that Judge's office.

Kinda like how the Florida Bar Association was going to disbar him, but then he sued them, so they had to put it off because if they disbarred him during the suit it would look like retaliation.

Jack Thompson isn't dumb, but he certainly abuses other people's integrity within the legal system.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want to ignore Jack, but it seems like every time something about him comes up, there's a new twist.

"NOT!" for example.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I want to ignore Jack, but it seems like every time something about him comes up, there's a new twist.

"NOT!" for example.

I think... the man is getting older on the outside, but in his mind he keeps going backward. He must be around age 14 in his brain now. Though.... attempting to fool people into thinking that I am Batman in order to intimidate them sounds like something I'd do when I was like, 6.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArugulaZ wrote: »
    TheFonz wrote: »

Wikipedia wrote:
    In sending documents to opponents, Thompson would frequently attach a photocopy of his driver's license, with a photo of Batman pasted over his own, just to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. Thompson said, "I have sent my opponents pictures of Batman to remind them I'm playing the role of Batman. Just like Bruce Wayne helped the police in the movie, I have had to assist the sheriff of Broward County." He also wore a Batman wristwatch.
    O_o

And all that was fine, until they found the thirteen year old locked up in his basement, wearing tights and a mask.

What, are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think he is?

We're not dealing with a regular lawyer here.

He's the goddamn Batman.

Fixed, but beaten to it. Ah, well.

Yours was better then mine.

Metalfoot on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    wallhitter wrote: »
    Is anyone else tempted to send an email that just reads "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH BWAHAHAHA" to him?
    I'm fairly sure Scott from VGCats has done this.
    No, he made the mistake of trying to speak to Jack as if Jack was an intelligent person, and ended up with (meaningless) legal threats.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have a new avatar thanks to this thread.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    Lawsuit's on hold, for the time being:
    So, how’s that Law 101 class going?

Federal District Court Judge Paul Huck has dismissed a complaint filed yesterday against Gawker Media, parent company of the popular Kotaku game blog. In his ruling, Judge Huck wrote that controversial attorney Jack Thompson had failed to follow the proper federal court procedure for amending a complaint.

For his part, Thompson admits his mistake and pleads ignorance (we’ll buy that), citing distractions he says were caused today by the Florida Bar and an unnamed game website which published his home address and phone number.

Thompson vowed to the Court that he will re-file the Kotaku complaint, this time in accordance with the rules.

I wonder if the 12-year-old writing style of his had anything to do with it?

No, did you read what he said? It was because he was all distracted by people harassing him and such. If those terrorists had just left him alone, he'd have been able to write it properly!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What's jacks e-mail. I'll send him the batman cell and HAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH BWAHAHAHA

Gorilla Salad on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heh, it's official... I will now refer to him as Jack 'The Batman' Thompson in any and all contexts.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, "Jackman," "Battorney," "BatThompson," "The Jack Knight"...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    chasm953 wrote: »
    Except for the ones where he brings placards and pisses off the judge by holding them up at random times and gets scolded like a kindergartner. Those are awesome.

Ooh, I forgot about that. What did he do again?

He brought a bunch of "visual aids" that basically amounted to BS "stats" about video games and violence when the judge was making his ruling on the injunction that Thompson requested re: selling Bully in Florida. Basically the judge was saying that after seeing the multiple hours long video demonstrating gameplay from Bully that he finds the suit completely without merit and then goes on to say that he's going to have to hand the case off to another judge because Thompson's irrational and childish behavior has made him hate the guy so much that he no longer feels that he can be impartial in deciding the case.

So basically, the judge was starting to hate Thompson for his behavior and was unable to separate that from the actual arguments of the case, so he felt it wise to recuse himself. But while he was making this statement about how Thompson was being immature and conducting himself like an ass and making a mockery of the legal system, Thompson kept interrupting him and holding up these signs, causing the judge to pause while talking about how much he hates Thompson to tell Thompson to, in essence, shut the fuck up because it's not his turn to talk.

EDIT: I couldn't remember before, but found it now. Destructiod caught it all on tape although it's super-hard to hear what the judge is saying. Direct link to the YouTube version if your company blocks Destructoid.

Actually, the reason the Judge removed himself is because when Take Two tried to bring him under contempt charges, he was going to be the judge presiding over it. Out of the blue, Jack suddenly announced he'd be running for judge in that district, making the presiding judge his opponent and therefore unable to rule on Thompson's contempt charges.

However, the judge did threaten to have Thompson removed if he touched those signs once more as shown by the video.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It should also be noted that the case the judge recused himself from was partially due to the fact that Jack announced publicly that he would be running for that Judge's office.

Kinda like how the Florida Bar Association was going to disbar him, but then he sued them, so they had to put it off because if they disbarred him during the suit it would look like retaliation.

Jack Thompson isn't dumb, but he certainly abuses other people's integrity within the legal system.

When he dies, he's going to sue God so he gets to reside in Heaven till the case is over.

The Muffin Man on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

When he dies, he's going to sue God so he gets to reside in Heaven till the case is over.

He's pretty much got the case won.

I mean, where the hell is God gonna find a lawyer?

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited April 2007

Phoenix Wright? I'm sure that there is one decent lawyer.

Gorilla Salad on
  • MetalfootMetalfoot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »

You saying we should kill Phoenix Wright?

Metalfoot on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

What about Mia?

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
    edited April 2007
    tarnok wrote: »

What about Mia?
    That's good. We'll leave Phoenix. Mia, though...well, I'm sure someone will do that for us.

Gorilla Salad on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

But at least he'll be dead. And we will rejoice.

Now someone serve me some damn papers already.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる