As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New COMIC Thread 06-04-10

• HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Love the comic if only fr the last panel's dialog

And that tetris video.. wow that was just insanely talented

HeavyVillain on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, there seems to be a good number of people who are surprised that this is still happening and don't realize that they had absolutely no contingency for a disaster at this depth.

On a side note, this twitter account gives a pretty fantastic up to date accounting of everything going on with BP:

http://twitter.com/BPGlobalPR

NotASenator on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Problem is, once the gap's filled, everything disappears and they have to start again.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • EfesellEfesell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man this might be my new favorite comic.

Efesell on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    Where's a line piece when you need one?

I think that piece would just slide into the tube and not do much. The T is a cap.

Anyway, I suppose the only answer is to flood the ocean floor with more pieces until you can even it out and clear most of it out with a long piece.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The CNN user comments about the leak are gold. Every article about it has several people who failed physics proposing solutions.

jackal on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    buoyancy and how the pressure of oil works is pretty confusing, but I'm still not willing to venture there and see exactly how retarded they are

L|ama on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    The CNN user comments about the leak are gold. Every article about it has several people who failed physics proposing solutions.

"Why not just turn the earth upside-down so the oil gushes back down into the pipe?"
    [tiny]Not an actual comment[/tiny]

SabreMau on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is an excellent comic

Usagi on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This was pretty funny and also a birthday comic

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    damn, this whole week has been goodness in comic form.

Fuck yeah!

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel like the comic should have had the tetris reveal in the last panel, but the way it is is just so hilarious that who cares about conventions.

BigKev on
    Steam ID : BigKev87
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jackal wrote: »

WHY DON'T THEY JUST SEND DIVERS OR A SUB DOWN

uh it's a mile down

SO

it's like 200 atmospheres of pressure down there

AND?

fuck

PiptheFair on
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really like the palette in this one.

Pixel Blue on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    man those fatcats in washington and bp just don't have common sense

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This comic and slice of news is a bit eerie for me. I spoke on the phone with my mother two days ago only to find out my eldest cousin had moved to Houston to take a job with BP. His current job? To co-ordinate ship logistics is the gulf. Needless to say he's working 15+ hour days right now.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    from the newspost:

0603-guatemala-sinhole-fill_full_600.jpg

wow

Brolo on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddamn Silver Surfer...

KalTorak on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I fully except Mole Man and a legion of Moloids to come out of that hole and strike back at the above-ground world that shuns them.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rolo wrote: »
    from the newspost:

0603-guatemala-sinhole-fill_full_600.jpg

wow

So that is what happens when you pee out the back of a c130 at 20000 feet. Call me thunderpiss.

RoyceSraphim on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd really rather not

Javen on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    there's a better picture looking straight down the hole because at some point it becomes pure nothingness

edit-
    sinkhole1024x682.jpg

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I also have to agree with Tycho to some point. About this whole oil thing I keep expecting them to suddenly be all 'okay we fixed it and we cleaned up the oil and nothing substantial has changed from a month ago.' It's sincerely difficult to comprehend that this is a legitimately a desperate situation that will have ramifications past how this might effect the mid term elections.

Javen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    there's a better picture looking straight down the hole because at some point it becomes pure nothingness

edit-
    sinkhole1024x682.jpg

"Acting swiftly, the Guademalan leaders immediately rechristened their country "Sparta"."

KalTorak on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    I also have to agree with Tycho to some point. About this whole oil thing I keep expecting them to suddenly be all 'okay we fixed it and we cleaned up the oil and nothing substantial has changed from a month ago.' It's sincerely difficult to comprehend that this is a legitimately a desperate situation that will have ramifications past how this might effect the mid term elections.

the great thing about fucking with the ocean is that screwing up spawning cycles now could cause massive shortages and die outs years from now

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Talking about this at work and on the web, I always think of that great prophet George Carlin and his piece about saving the planet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw

Everyone is so worried about how this oil leak will kill the planet and the planet is doomed. No. The planet will survive. It will self heal like its done for millions of years, slowly filtering the oil and organic poisons away and spawning new life where old life has died.

On the other hand, people are fucked. Pack your shit folks, the planet is bleeding and I think it's pissed. I'm waiting for a tornado, volcanic eruption, or earthquake to hit, just to remind us who's fucking with who.

Hunter on
    edited June 2010
    Javen wrote: »

the great thing about fucking with the ocean is that screwing up spawning cycles now could cause massive shortages and die outs years from now

NOT IF WE FISH OUT THE SEAS FIRST

BEAT MOTHER NATURE AT ITS OWN GAME

Brolo on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can't trust any body of water for a food source these days. The Pacific is poisoned with all the plastic floating out in it. The Gulf, duh, the oil thing. The Red Sea had a bunch of Jews crossing it. And the Atlantic has Titanic victims long since a part of that food chain or just all decomposing and making it icky. What's our world coming to?

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    You can't trust any body of water for a food source these days. The Pacific is poisoned with all the plastic floating out in it. The Gulf, duh, the oil thing. The Red Sea had a bunch of Jews crossing it. And the Atlantic has Titanic victims long since a part of that food chain or just all decomposing and making it icky. What's our world coming to?

That's why I only drink bottled water.

It comes from plastic bottles, so I know it's clean.

Brolo on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

But, the pacific comes with plastic in it! I think that's even better.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    End wrote: »

oh no my brain D:

Henroid on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BigKev wrote: »
    I feel like the comic should have had the tetris reveal in the last panel, but the way it is is just so hilarious that who cares about conventions.

I agree. It's pretty damn great the way it is, but would have been even better hiding the punchline til the end.

TheCanMan on
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    this comic is awesome.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
    edited June 2010
    End wrote: »

oh no my brain D:

Personally, I only drink water that's been hacked out of Mars' ice caps and shipped down here to be melted in the warm country sun.

KalTorak on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

okay to be fair

the lack of any sort of viable contingency plan really is some gross incompetence on BP's part

TheySlashThem on
    edited June 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

okay to be fair

the lack of any sort of viable contingency plan really is some gross incompetence on BP's part

Hey, they had a contingency plan! A completely rational and feasible one!

"Jenkins, what are we going to do if this oil pump on the ocean floor breaks open?"

"How about....ahhhh.... golf balls?"

"Good work, sport!"

KalTorak on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This comic brings to light a disturbing phenomenon:

this generation's tetris players are weak

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Talking about this at work and on the web, I always think of that great prophet George Carlin and his piece about saving the planet.

Everyone is so worried about how this oil leak will kill the planet and the planet is doomed. No. The planet will survive. It will self heal like its done for millions of years, slowly filtering the oil and organic poisons away and spawning new life where old life has died.

On the other hand, people are fucked. Pack your shit folks, the planet is bleeding and I think it's pissed. I'm waiting for a tornado, volcanic eruption, or earthquake to hit, just to remind us who's fucking with who.

Those... those things happen all the time. Are you waiting for one to hit you?

Delzhand on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »

Those... those things happen all the time. Are you waiting for one to hit you?

Come to Texas, we have plenty of tornadoes.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The level of preparedness for an event like this was on par with their plans to defend against a unicorn attack.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
This discussion has been closed.