As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

• Options
    Darkarm87Darkarm87 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am incapable of understanding why someone would have a problem with earning an extra-hard challenge by beating the game and therefore have to assume that you are a crazy person.
    Yes. I'm crazy about games ending when you beat the final stages. It makes a game feel bloated. I'm crazy about not doing extra hard challenges for the sake of doing extra hard challenges.

Darkarm87 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darkarm87 wrote: »
    I am incapable of understanding why someone would have a problem with earning an extra-hard challenge by beating the game and therefore have to assume that you are a crazy person.
    Yes. I'm crazy about games ending when you beat the final stages. It makes a game feel bloated. I'm crazy about not doing extra hard challenges for the sake of doing extra hard challenges.

Then don't do them? Seriously, there's a reason Nintendo puts the official ending before all the crazy hard stages. Bask in Bowser's defeat and be satisfied.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Like as far as I understand you are literally arguing that the Grandmaster Galaxy is stupid as-is but wouldn't be if it were unlocked at a different arbitrary point in time?

That is incoherent.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is the ice flower still around?

i really liked that power up, i guess levers that freeze all the water in a level are cool too but...

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah, they cut the ice flower. Which sucks.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah, they cut the ice flower. Which sucks.

Probably didn't want to confuse NSMBWii players since the flower is drastically different in both games

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    thats dumb

waterfall walljumping (waterwalljumping?) was the coolest thing ever

and despite it still being in here, it isn't as cool when the waterfall doesn't freeze as your feet touch it

and i had so much fun in SMG1 with that level with the lava tiles that you ice-flower-skate across to the star

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I just beat the second fire box challenge.

On the first try. I love the fire flower.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    120, done and done. I look forward to 120 more.

Graviija on
  • Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Up to world 3. Loving this game.

Sangheili91 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm also up to world 3. I got NMH2 at the same time as this but I just cant put it down. As of right now I'm basically doing one world/galaxy/whatever a day.

I'm loving the random characters here and there. That monkey with shades and those wood block dudes. They need there own game dammit!

It's so much fun.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    That reminds me of something I think is awesome in this game. It feels more alive than its predecessor. General spoilers? Specifically, tiny stuff from the second castle.
    The way the guy from the toad brigade was waiting at the castle with a coin or a starbit was awesome. I like running into Luigi or lumas or mushroom guys randomly. It feels like there are actually other entities exploring. I don't know why it feels like that specifically, since SMG 1 did that too, but I feel like the universe doesn't revolve around Mario so much. I mean, he's the one getting all the stars (except for Luigi, who's going off and finding them too!) but there are tons of other people who are aiding him. He's not the only person in the universe.

There should be more Mario games where the other denizens of his world are important. I'd play through a game as a citizen of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    That reminds me of something I think is awesome in this game. It feels more alive than its predecessor. General spoilers? Specifically, tiny stuff from the second castle.
    The way the guy from the toad brigade was waiting at the castle with a coin or a starbit was awesome. I like running into Luigi or lumas or mushroom guys randomly. It feels like there are actually other entities exploring. I don't know why it feels like that specifically, since SMG 1 did that too, but I feel like the universe doesn't revolve around Mario so much. I mean, he's the one getting all the stars (except for Luigi, who's going off and finding them too!) but there are tons of other people who are aiding him. He's not the only person in the universe.

There should be more Mario games where the other denizens of his world are important. I'd play through a game as a citizen of the Mushroom Kingdom.

The Toads:
    They do find stars, they just get trapped or whatever. The best is when they are camped out in the Bowser Jr. level in the wreckage of the last Jr. boss. And freaking out.

You mean Mushroom Kingdom mixed with Cloverfield? Avoiding Giant Bowser and various minions while you try to get to Mario to give him powerups? And then they fight and you have to avoid not dying from their battle.

I'd buy many copies of that game, but it would be too dark for Nintendo.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No ice flower in this game eh? I was kindof hoping it would return with ice-ball tossing power from NSMBWii added in. Could have made for some neat challenges. Oh well.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I love these green stars. Just good old exploration with a dash of "how the fuck am I supposed to get up there?"

Graviija on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shortpacked! makes a rather interesting and disturbing observation:

2010-06-04-hungryluma.png

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel like everyone would've gotten the joke without literally having semen dripping off of the star.

Also, I've reached the part of the game where having your lives reset each session is pissing me off. Having to reload the first level of the game to farm lives before/during attempting hard shit is an unfun waste of time. I really don't see why the game can't just save your lives but cap them out at like 30 if they're concerned about people having hundreds saved up from the easy part.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You could just

you know

not grind for lives

the game over screen takes all of 10 seconds to get through.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just noticed the ring is dripping with semen D: Aaaaaaaaaaaah

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I love the backgrounds in this game so hard.

World five thoughts:
    First of all, the second fluzzard level was actually really fucking awesome and I loved it. Weird.

Also, I just got to the part with the toad brigade cowering near the robot's remains. That is super awesome.

Really, though, this background is amazing. I might be the only person who notices stuff like this, but you're fighting right next to a star. Like, so the star fills up half the sky. It's beautiful.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I love the backgrounds in this game so hard.

World five thoughts:
    First of all, the second fluzzard level was actually really fucking awesome and I loved it. Weird.

Also, I just got to the part with the toad brigade cowering near the robot's remains. That is super awesome.

Really, though, this background is amazing. I might be the only person who notices stuff like this, but you're fighting right next to a star. Like, so the star fills up half the sky. It's beautiful.

I noticed that during the prankster comet run, looked and really noticed it for the first time. Really cool.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been doing some backtracking to pick up comet medals and prankster stars as they appear. Some of the latter have been annoying in having some trick or required time pickup I couldn't see without an FAQ that made the last bit of difference but dangled success just closely enough to entice me.

Downside is that having wrapped all those available to me up (aside from the ball rolling one which I'm not so eager to touch) makes returning to normal levels seem like drawn out affairs.

I haven't touched most of the galaxies you need star bits to access though. I've been hoarding bits in the bank til I find a good place to gather bits.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may be in the minority for this, but I think Luigi makes the game a lot easier. Superior jumping in distance and height, and ridiculous air control (especially on backflip). Also, the increased running speed I think helps you more often then it hinders. He is a little weird to control at first, but once you get over that, hard to go back to Mario.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've done everything with Luigi that I can.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    where does the comet coin show up on the first fluzzard? i thought it showed up on stage right at teh end but then when i went that way to get it, it showed up stage left. that was annoying. the level is easy enough but it gets annoying

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I haven't touched most of the galaxies you need star bits to access though. I've been hoarding bits in the bank til I find a good place to gather bits.

One of the purple coin challenges is really good for this. I forget where it is, but its the room with a bunch of crate-like elevation changes that constantly spawns shadow marios to chase you. It's very easy and once you win they all burst into starbits.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mts wrote: »
    where does the comet coin show up on the first fluzzard? i thought it showed up on stage right at teh end but then when i went that way to get it, it showed up stage left. that was annoying. the level is easy enough but it gets annoying

In the first level it's:
    You go through all 5 gates and the case protecting it opens up. The coin is just before the finish line and slightly down a little.

shadowane on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My god, the purple coin mission in the Clockworks (or whatever) Galaxy was brutal. D:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    My god, the purple coin mission in the Clockworks (or whatever) Galaxy was brutal. D:

My sister got like half the coins for me as P2. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, Melty Monster Galaxy is just fantastic. The music, the visuals, the secret star... everything.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I may be in the minority for this, but I think Luigi makes the game a lot easier. Superior jumping in distance and height, and ridiculous air control (especially on backflip). Also, the increased running speed I think helps you more often then it hinders. He is a little weird to control at first, but once you get over that, hard to go back to Mario.

Hah, at least he doesn't break the game as much as he does in 64 DS.

jothki on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel like everyone would've gotten the joke without literally having semen dripping off of the star.

Yeah, but it adds just that extra bit of creepy that it seems he was going for to freak people out.
    Also, I've reached the part of the game where having your lives reset each session is pissing me off. Having to reload the first level of the game to farm lives before/during attempting hard shit is an unfun waste of time. I really don't see why the game can't just save your lives but cap them out at like 30 if they're concerned about people having hundreds saved up from the easy part.

That reminds me: is anyone sharing the game with anyone? I don't just mean costar mode, I mean a second file. My wife and I have noticed ever-increasing *UPs from the mail Toad as we begin our games after one-another. I think she got like a 20UP or something the last time she started, which was after I'd acquired a stockpile of around that much over the course of my journey.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    recently got to world 3
    fuck yeah slide levels! the music is back too... god i love nostalgia.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just finished reading the Morgan Webb thread that was sort of an offshoot of this one. Someone there questioned where Mario could go after this?

I'd love to see it if they really well and truly nail getting all the nuances of a 2D Mario game to work in 3D.

...a good place to start would be power-ups. Is there really any good reason for the Fire Flower to be on a time-limit? Just seems annoying to me.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That reminds me: is anyone sharing the game with anyone? I don't just mean costar mode, I mean a second file. My wife and I have noticed ever-increasing *UPs from the mail Toad as we begin our games after one-another. I think she got like a 20UP or something the last time she started, which was after I'd acquired a stockpile of around that much over the course of my journey.

Yeah, I figured out that it's the number of lives the most recent player had when they quit. It only works if you alternate saves when you quit. Like if you play save 1 and have 20 lives when you quit, then play save 2 they will have 20 1 ups waiting in the mail, but i you play save 1, then quit, then play save 1 again, you will only have the 5 1 ups from princess peach and however much you have the next time you quit will go to the next save file that is used.

You can use this as a really easy farming technique, and just switch back and forth from each save which will increase your lives by 4 every time. Not like it's really necessary since they dole out 1 ups in the game like candy.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I always thought a Mario that really played around with scale would be cool. I mean, one of the core mechanics of the 2D games is a power-up that doubles your size.

Go from flinging yourself around atoms to a level where you pick up size-up shrooms until what originally looked like a large flat stage takes on the appearance of a galaxy-like planetoid.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I always thought a Mario that really played around with scale would be cool. I mean, one of the core mechanics of the 2D games is a power-up that doubles your size.

Go from flinging yourself around atoms to a level where you pick up size-up shrooms until what originally looked like a large flat stage takes on the appearance of a galaxy-like planetoid.

they came close with Supermassive Galaxy. Yet I still think it was done the best in Super Mario 3 because in some stages you could switch back and forth between huge and normal. They could have done that you switched it to where everything was small and you were huge. Actually, I believe Mario64 did this.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »

they came close with Supermassive Galaxy. Yet I still think it was done the best in Super Mario 3 because in some stages you could switch back and forth between huge and normal. They could have done that you switched it to where everything was small and you were huge. Actually, I believe Mario64 did this.

Yeah it had a level where you could flip between being tiny or giant.

It is also one of my favorite levels.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I might turn on the Wii and play some 64 tonight.. that or more Galaxy2.

Cause Galaxy is awesome.

Damnit TOTP

Umm.. so favorite level?

Mine has to be the second or final bowser levels.

Just awesome.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love that the Boomerang Bros are back and in full 3-D....but I still tend to forget their weapons return once I kill them.

I almost always get a boomerang in the back of the head. :lol:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
This discussion has been closed.