As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comics: 4-25-07

2»

• Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    LOL @ BP putting SS in a headlock.

Power cosmic? Fuck that, I was a JV high school wrestler.

My initial reaction to that scene was "wtf T'challa? A fucking headlock on the Silver Surfer?" I'm sure the Surfer was more shocked at the relative stupidity of that move than anything else.

No-Prize worthy analysis.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Amazons Attack didn't make any sense and they seemed to be bragging about it. "Next month things get even crazier!"

Circe convinces Hippolyta to attack the States because Wonder Woman is being held prisoner but then suddenly she's talking about how Wonder Woman has been freed (even though we don't see it) and then Wonder Woman shows up at the end.

Huh?

DMAC on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I believe it and Wonder Woman 8 happen at the same time.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, I don't know a lot about Amazon history, but
    a known villain shows one image of WW being imprisoned, says it's the fault of the U.S. Government, and instantly the entire Amazon army is getting all hot and bothered at the thought of being able to kill kids.

What the fuck.

Seriously, they can't even blame this on Circe's manipulation, they wanted to kill those civilians.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I don't really get how Government imprisons WW = "Let's kill civilians! Especially the Men!" either.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    If they want to make the Amazons seem sympathetic at all, they are doing a really bad job of it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    If they want to make the Amazons seem sympathetic at all, they are doing a really bad job of it.

Maybe a couple of them will be taken as POWs and get raped.

Supposedly a good number of Wonder Woman pitches involve her getting raped, and I'm sure that at least one came from someone with a current ongoing.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Justice Society was awesome. It makes me a bit sad that this is a crossover with Justice League since JSA is a much better book, but watching the team go into Arkham was really awesome.

Also, I liked Fallen Son: Avengers.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why? It contained little pathos, the Mighty Avengers portion was nearly disconnected from the intended theme, and the dialogue was trope.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Nartwak wrote: »
    Why? It contained little pathos, the Mighty Avengers portion was nearly disconnected from the intended theme, and the dialogue was trope.

Did you miss the part about Ms. Marvel flipping the shit out?

Maybe it lacked emotion (it did feel a bit forced), but I thought it was a fun read and was better than Wolverine's chapter, in any case.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    I did not, I'm just dissatisfied that Loeb relied on having Namor show up and deliver expository text explaining how the scene is associated with the title.
    Maybe it lacked emotion (it did feel a bit forced), but I thought it was a fun read and was better than Wolverine's chapter, in any case.

Heh, perhaps so; though I can't say I consider that much of a compliment.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    The theme of the issue was Anger. I'm pretty sure that both parts stayed on-topic.

EDIT: Ms. Marvel flipped out and nearly killed a guy. That's pretty damn angry.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I did not, I'm just dissatisfied that Loeb relied on having Namor show up and deliver expository text explaining how the scene is associated with the title.

I had gathered that, you know, Ms. Marvel going crazy and smashing things like a mad woman was somehow tied to the "intended theme" of anger before Namor showed up.

But, uh, sorry you didn't dig the issue, I guess?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I considered the theme as anger stemming from Captain America's death, not merely anger. Maybe I'm reading too much into the five stages of grief motif?

Both sides were clearly on edge because of the precedent set by Cap's assassination.

I mean, it really wasn't that subtle.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fallen Son is just an excuse for the MU to go emo.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Maybe.

You should totally try not buying them if you don't like them, though. I hear that works really well.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Maybe.

You should totally try not buying them if you don't like them, though. I hear that works really well.

Maybe.

You should try shutting the fuck up.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe.

Maybe.

Why? He makes a good point.

And Marvel doesn't need to go "emo" Marvel fucking invented emo...

Spider-Man, Penance, trust me, they have their emo cred, there's no need to expand it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe.

Maybe.

I must admit this is a compelling argument

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    :cry:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Don't go all Marvel on us, now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I just don't know why his comments need to be so hurtful.

Fallen Son: Zeromus

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus, part of that was in jest. You're right, I should avoid stuff like Fallen Son completely. It's just way too sentimental and mawkish, and really just doesn't ring true to me at all. Then again, I don't want to sacrifice my enjoyment/knowledge/experience of post-CW Marvel (which I do like quite a bit) with these smatterings of whining and pissing and moaning.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Zeromus, part of that was in jest. You're right, I should avoid stuff like Fallen Son completely. It's just way too sentimental and mawkish, and really just doesn't ring true to me at all. Then again, I don't want to sacrifice my enjoyment/knowledge/experience of post-CW Marvel (which I do like quite a bit) with these smatterings of whining and pissing and moaning.

Honestly, the Fallen Son stories, while enjoyable, seem so superfluous that I don't think skipping them would really be sacrificing much enjoyment, knowledge, and/or experience of post-CW Marvel.

Sorry it doesn't work for you, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I believe Storm is actually supposed to be that powerful. But she keeps her abilities carefully under control, or else they get out of hand. I know there was a whole episode of the cartoon series about this, involving the Savage Land.

In the actual comic, I think Dr. Doom once turned off her restraint, and she was about to destroy Dr. Doom, the X-men, and most of the area with none of them even having a chance of fighting her off. I know they made a big deal in one X-Men annual about her letting loose a good chunk of her power when she thought X-Cutioner might have killed Colossus.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I think trying to assess comic book hero "power levels" is a pretty futile, and ultimately, fruitless effort.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think trying to assess comic book hero "power levels" is a pretty futile, and ultimately, fruitless effort.

No, they have them right on the back of their trading cards and everything.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe.

Maybe.

you try first

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg