As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Goron Mario bricks Wii, Puff Mario gets high

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I might turn on the Wii and play some 64 tonight.. that or more Galaxy2.

Cause Galaxy is awesome.

Damnit TOTP

Umm.. so favorite level?

Mine has to be the second or final bowser levels.

Just awesome.

I can't answer that because there's so many. Boss Blitz, Rainbow Coaster, Puzzle Plank, & Yoshi Star are all great though.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think my favorite is the purple coin challenge for Flip-Swap. Such a neat gimmick for a level to have, and the purple coins and time limit mean you can't just sit there and flip (or I couldn't anyhow) - have to pull out some long jumps if you want to make it in time.

I also really like the first galaxy in S-World. The one that is like Luigi's Purple Coins from SMG1 but with switch plates instead of coins.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jclast wrote: »
    I think my favorite is the purple coin challenge for Flip-Swap. Such a neat gimmick for a level to have, and the purple coins and time limit mean you can't just sit there and flip (or I couldn't anyhow) - have to pull out some long jumps if you want to make it in time.

I also really like the first galaxy in S-World. The one that is like Luigi's Purple Coins from SMG1 but with switch plates instead of coins.

The thing that bugged me about that first S-World was that the purple coin comet challenge was absurdly easier than the purple coin version of it in SMG.

And I don't know why. It should be harder. Between only have 100 coins exactly and having the shadows follow you it should be way harder.

But I got it second try. And I still can't get the fucking thing with Luigi in SMG. :x

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The layout's different and it's easier because of that.

Speed Racer on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jclast wrote: »

The thing that bugged me about that first S-World was that the purple coin comet challenge was absurdly easier than the purple coin version of it in SMG.

And I don't know why. It should be harder. Between only have 100 coins exactly and having the shadows follow you it should be way harder.

But I got it second try. And I still can't get the fucking thing with Luigi in SMG. :x

There are more stable platforms, I think fewer jumps (no jumping off an edge and spinning back), the platforms shrink instead of rotating, and you can't return to most platforms anyway so the shadows don't matter as much.

jothki on
    edited June 2010
    Oh yeah the rotating platforms.

That's probably it. The jumping/spinning thing was never a big deal. By the point you get to that challenge you should have mastered that to a T anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The whole thing was way bigger too from what I could tell. So you had a lot more room to manuver - particularly since there were not purple coins on every single square as well (i.e. if you can no longer reach a certain square on the new one, it's not usually a big deal). Also, I believe you can long jump between many of the non-disappearing sections, which also helped.

But yeah, the lack of "tricky jump coins" as mentioned also made a difference - no jumping off and doing a spin to grab some, and a lot fewer of the long jump across the acid (or whatever) coins (I think there were like 3, and they were right next to each other?), which, if you mis-angled your jump and missed some, could have been tricky to get (if it was even possible) in the old version.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nobody's noticed the last thing that makes it incredibly easy: the camera always locks perfectly along the main 8 directions, and it doesn't maneuver around you automatically. :) I think this is the single biggest change that trivializes it!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I've been doing some backtracking to pick up comet medals and prankster stars as they appear. Some of the latter have been annoying in having some trick or required time pickup I couldn't see without an FAQ that made the last bit of difference but dangled success just closely enough to entice me.

Downside is that having wrapped all those available to me up (aside from the ball rolling one which I'm not so eager to touch) makes returning to normal levels seem like drawn out affairs.

I haven't touched most of the galaxies you need star bits to access though. I've been hoarding bits in the bank til I find a good place to gather bits.

Go to world 6.
    The second Melty Monster or whatever star is farmsville for star bits. I had the cosmic guide show up, for the first time there, because I wasn't trying too hard. Since each life was like a hundred star bits. You'll know what I'm talking about when you get to it, it's like bowling, but you get rich. Each death brought me closer to riches.
    I always thought a Mario that really played around with scale would be cool. I mean, one of the core mechanics of the 2D games is a power-up that doubles your size.

Go from flinging yourself around atoms to a level where you pick up size-up shrooms until what originally looked like a large flat stage takes on the appearance of a galaxy-like planetoid.

That would be super awesome. I've been thinking a lot about "Where do they go from here?" since it's hard to get better than this. They could certainly regress and do a more 64 ish one. But one where you're jumping from molecule to molecule or something and then growing to normal size, or getting so big that the planet is as a planetoid in Galaxy would be pretty cool.

Shivahn on
    edited June 2010
    It's funny, when Galaxy came out we thought the same things. Where can they possibly go with this? They went from World to Galaxy, what's grander than that? What further gameplay is there?

And they showed us!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    like that Calvin & Hobbes strip where Calvin grows and grows until he's balancing on his tippy-toe on the tiny little ball of Earth until he can't balance anymore and falls off, only to keep growing, eventually dwarfing our entire galaxy?

that would be ridiculous

hatedinamerica on
    edited June 2010
    It's funny, when Galaxy came out we thought the same things. Where can they possibly go with this? They went from World to Galaxy, what's grander than that? What further gameplay is there?

And they showed us!

Well I'm going to tempt fate by saying they can't do it again.

Not that they can't make another amazing game again; but they can't make a SMG3 and have it still seem as fresh and innovative.

I too, though, question where they can go next. I mean, SMG was glorious and I would readily agree with folks who count it among the finest games ever made (even though I might actually like SMG2 better), but honestly it wasn't a massive jump in innovation from Mario64; at least compared to Mario64 from SMW.

It's a good question, where can they go next. What kind of gameplay innovations can they expand the mario formula past what they have already without it stopping to actually be mario?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

And they showed us!

Not really, they just kind of further refined the idea behind Galaxy.

Though honestly, the whole "space" theme really gets thrown to the wayside in this. There's a few levels that look like they're out in space, but a lot of the backdrops are blue sky, or waterfalls, or all sorts of weird things. Which really just highlights the fact that outer space was never the point of SMG, it was just a good context for explaining the planetoid mechanic.

Speed Racer on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't get the damn Double Kick move to work. Is it context sensitive or something? The creative play video says it only works on certain enemies.... so far for me it doesn't work period.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've never posted in this thread, but I just want to say that after watching numerous reviews and gameplay videos, I really want to buy a Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

I always thought Super Mario 64 was a pain in the ass to play, so I always skipped over the 3D Mario games, but after I heard this was getting a bunch of 10s, I looked at it, and it definitely looks awesome. I don't even care about the lack of a proper story.

Nintendo, you have won.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I can't get the damn Double Kick move to work. Is it context sensitive or something? The creative play video says it only works on certain enemies.... so far for me it doesn't work period.

Wait what?

Speed Racer on
    edited June 2010

Wait what?

I think one of the signposts in the game shows how to do it. They demonstrate on hammer bros., you get them spinning on the ground and then jump at them and Mario does a double kick and finishes them off.

UncleSporky on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All you have to do is run into them.

Zxerol on
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I didn't know you could do the crouch-spin-kick move in this game till I tried half way through. Did Galaxy 1 have this too?

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone else get a Star Fox vibe from the final Bowser stage music?

Edit: For reference

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited June 2010
    Okie doke, I've got all the green stars in World 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and S.

Now to just finish off World 5.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • abbottalwinabbottalwin Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is Funny Game. I still need to beat the first game. That's one task I'll try to accomplish this week. While the player retains the ability to collect Star Bits with the blue Star Pointer from the first game, the Star Pointer is replaced by a red dot when riding Yoshi, which allows the player to aim and control his tongue.

abbottalwin on
    Mistakes are the portals of discovery.
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »
    I've never posted in this thread, but I just want to say that after watching numerous reviews and gameplay videos, I really want to buy a Wii and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Fuckin' do it! The Mario Galaxy games in and of themselves (along with pack-ins Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort now of course) are entirely worth the purchase of a Wii in my own humble opinion. These are now the quintessential 3D platformers to play, without question. Soooo good.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    666 starbits. Satan's power fuels my starship through the fiery depths of space!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited June 2010
    Zython wrote: »

I definitely got a lot of Zelda/Mario 64 vibes from some songs. Wish I could remember which ones exactly.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
    edited June 2010
    Boo Moon Green Star 1 is easily one of the most frustrating Green Stars.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Restart wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »

I definitely got a lot of Zelda/Mario 64 vibes from some songs. Wish I could remember which ones exactly.

Like the Bowser stage battle remix from SM64? :P I love this version though so I'm not complaining or anything!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited June 2010
    I hate having to sit here and fucking farm starbits just to get the last damn star.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited June 2010
    I hate having to sit here and fucking farm starbits just to get the last damn star.

I like that you can give starbits to other players on the saves. More games need simple features like this where potentially boring/grind parts can be completed if a friend/sibling plays a bit on another file. Of course, then I guess you're just making THEM slave, lol.

Also, I think this is what made me think of Zelda:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSBEBBsmxE4
    At 0:43, that part of the song sounds so...er, Zelda.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
    edited June 2010

There's a map, I think in world 6, that you're stone mario and you have to bounce around platforms all rolling towards the end.

You can farm em really quickly on that.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited June 2010
    Got 'er up to 8000 starbits. I'm done for the night. I think I'm too tired to even attempt the daredevil run of grandmaster anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Restart wrote: »

I like that you can give starbits to other players on the saves. More games need simple features like this where potentially boring/grind parts can be completed if a friend/sibling plays a bit on another file. Of course, then I guess you're just making THEM slave, lol.

Also, I think this is what made me think of Zelda:
    At 0:43, that part of the song sounds so...er, Zelda.

If anything, that parts sounds more like something from Starfox to me.

And of course, there's Dragon Quest Galaxy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKoGyh3fBM

jothki on
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really liked this one myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vka-N_jWNEY
    It fit with the level quite well too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Wait what?

I think one of the signposts in the game shows how to do it. They demonstrate on hammer bros., you get them spinning on the ground and then jump at them and Mario does a double kick and finishes them off.

Behold the mighty Double Kick maneuver.

Skip to 1:10 to see it demonstrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgo0J1aPlAc

I can never, ever get it to work. Not even on Hammer Bros. Arg!

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know what really made me appreciate the SMG games even more (as if it was possible)?

Playing Banko-Kazooie. For some reason or another, I was downloaded the XBLA demo and was hit, full force, by an incredible wave of nostalgia. I hadn't played the game since I 100%'d it way back when it first came out. When I was 11. Fucking 11. Well, it took me back, and I downloaded the full game.

Within a few minutes, I came to remember just how much shit there is to collect in this game. Jiggys. Jingos. Notes. Mumbo tokens. Eggs. Feathers. Different moves. Spread all over these huge (...relatively) levels. And within 20 minutes, I realized this was a stupid purchase. Who has time for all this crap? I just want to have some fun for a half hour a day. Regardless of the veracity of this thought process, this collectathon type game makes me feel like I have to completely huge chucks at a time, or I'm not actually getting anything done.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 so perfectly filter out all the fluff, and all that's left are these fun levels that are able to motivate me by themselves. Whether or not you think this is what "Mario" is all about, you have to appreciate the game's focus. It is utterly refreshing.

Graviija on
    edited June 2010
    UGH.

I don't think I'm ever going to get that 242nd star.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    man chompworks clone star is a fucking pain in the ass

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    At 116 stars. Currently stumped by two: Clockwork Ruins' secret star, and how to get Flip-Out Galaxy's Comet Medal. That is not an invitation to help, mind you; I'm determined to figure them out for myself, but this is pretty much the first point where I've seriously drawn a blank.

Game is so awesome.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Last Bowser level spoilers:
    At the part where you have to get on the moving platforms, I ended up getting hit and losing Yoshi before the platforms ascended the lavafall. I felt so hardcore beating that without him.

Man, I feel so bad for Yoshi. Post endgame spoilers:
    I was doing that whirly level, with the things that are constantly spinning, in double time. I realized that Yoshi is totally a tool. So many times I'd just abandon him. Oh what's that? I'm falling off a cliff? Not if I can just condemn my dinosaur friend to a horrific falling death, thereby saving myself!

Shivahn on
    edited June 2010
    There go another 50+ lives trying to finish The Perfect Run...still working on it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
This discussion has been closed.