As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Foundation WANTS YOU (to register for D-Class duty)

• JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok can we get back to the secret organization that is barely managing to contain weird things now

Jintor on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    how common is being able to force yourself out of sleep, anyways

nine of ten times I had a nightmare, I recognized it was a nightmare, and was able to wake up by opening my real-life eyes from within the dream
    it felt like opening a really heavy set of eyelids that lay just inside my normal eyelids and it is the weirdest feeling ever.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • AtlasShruggedILaughedAtlasShruggedILaughed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ok this thread has me seriously considering going out to my covered car and listening to an audiobook for a while instead of staying in an empty house with a fuckton of dark corners

damn you people.

don't forget that something could be under your car when you go out to it. waiting to slice your acheles tendon

AtlasShruggedILaughed on
    So this baby seal walks into a club...
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    when I was like ten I had a chase dream
    I was being chased by some kind of freakish lizard-cat-thing

after running for a while I thought "Wait! This is ridiculous, this can't be happening for real! This is a dream! I can control this!"
    so I spin around, ready to confront this thing

and it pounces on me, pins me down, and is about to start dissecting me when I force myself awake
    moral: dichotomy is not in control of his own dreams, even when he knows they are dreams.

Yeah, i get this a lot too. But then at one point i was convinced my subconscious was trying to kill me. I was having a normal dream when suddenly had a hard time breathing, woke up to me strangling myself!

Still don't know what is up with that!

Melding on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    you know, i have never had a dream where i wasn't in complete control of my actions. Nor have i ever been able to feel things in them. and normally i can't run. I dream weird.

Some of these things i can explain, like the no running, my legs get tangled in the blankets and so since i can't move my legs, i can't run, but i can hop pretty great.

I had the same nightmare every night for 2 years when I was a kid, if I was a crazy person I'd believe I had been getting abducted by aliens.

Instead I just lucid dream all the time.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    how common is being able to force yourself out of sleep, anyways

nine of ten times I had a nightmare, I recognized it was a nightmare, and was able to wake up by opening my real-life eyes from within the dream
    it felt like opening a really heavy set of eyelids that lay just inside my normal eyelids and it is the weirdest feeling ever.

I've done it more than a few times and I know exactly the feeling you're talking about

Grey Ghost on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ok this thread has me seriously considering going out to my covered car and listening to an audiobook for a while instead of staying in an empty house with a fuckton of dark corners

damn you people.

don't forget that something could be under your car when you go out to it. waiting to slice your acheles tendon
    Nah not scary.

Never been very afraid of stuff under stuff. Too easy to kick in the face.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2010
    best way to take control of your dream is try to think of how you got to where you are. if you can't place it you are either drunk or dreaming. if you can speak without slurring, you are dreaming.

Melding on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Think to date my worst nightmare has to be when I dreamed of an off-white, manequin like creature stalking me in a city. Its movements were like bad stop-motion animation and I could only catch glimpses of it around corners and behind walls. It also had these big unblinking, black eyes and a comedy mask style smile that was way too big for its face.

Then I remember at the very end it finally cornered me, leaned in close and whispered

"This if fear."

Yeah that wasn't too fun.
    AHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

e: Never had a lucid dream.

SirToasty on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah mannequins are scary

I had to take breaks every 30 seconds or so during that one part in Bioshock.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, i've had dreams like that. I once played cards with something kinda like that, only it was tragedy and a few other details where different, bladed fingers and such.

Guy cheats like nothing else. Don't play poker with him.

Melding on
    edited June 2010
    Also those cardboard cutouts with the eyes that never stop following you

(clearly the inspiration for the Mona Lisa SCP)

Cilla Black on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My best friend begged me to draw that thing for him, and after much persuasion and the promise of a free lunch I did so, gave it to him and he promptly left the thing in his cupboard which he hasn't opened since then.

Gatsby on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    you know, i have never had a dream where i wasn't in complete control of my actions. Nor have i ever been able to feel things in them. and normally i can't run. I dream weird.

Some of these things i can explain, like the no running, my legs get tangled in the blankets and so since i can't move my legs, i can't run, but i can hop pretty great.

I had the same nightmare every night for 2 years when I was a kid, if I was a crazy person I'd believe I had been getting abducted by aliens.

I had the exact same incredibly realistic nightmare every night for about four or five months back in my early twenties.

That was not fun times.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to have a reoccurring dream that a hag lived in this hill nearby, and the entrance to her place was under this paving stone that had always been on the side of the hill.
    The dreams were always very vivid. I could see the herbs hanging and drying. I could hear the pot that was cooking and bubbling away. I could smell the combined odors from the dirt and all the other items.
    She was always trying to teach me things (I don’t remember what) and each dream would pick up where the last one left off. I never had the guts to lift the stone when I was awake.
    After a while I noticed that I haven’t had this dream in a while, so I got to the hill and the stone is gone. Only a black patch of bare earth is left where the stone used to be.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I don't really have nightmares anymore. the new that would be described as such, just don't make me scared of them. I'm sure Tragedy was meant to scare me, but instead i played texas hold'em with him.

Had another where everyone i knew died terrible deaths, and i just stole their stuff.

I think i may be dead inside.

Melding on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the worst dreams used to happen to me in the winter
    because I'd be all wrapped up in my blankets
    and this would translate in the dream to me laying on the ground, unable to move

this happened once in a dream where I was hanging around the city with some friends (they were carrying me) when a tie-dyed Godzilla attacked

dropped me in the middle of the street, I yelled after them, FUCK WE FORGOT DICHOTOMY, they threw me in the back of a pickup truck and off we fled, etc.

it's just plain boring

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We should try and make these nightmares into SCPs

Gatsby on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DrBright wrote: »
    We are mostly friendly people Cilla

Dammit doctor, you made poor SCP-506 triple retarded you motherfucker!

That was your god damn brother ahhh I hate you fuckk

(I really like your website and the tales from the bright side are pretty good)

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited June 2010
    BYToady wrote: »

I had the exact same incredibly realistic nightmare every night for about four or five months back in my early twenties.

That was not fun times.

It's so fun dreading going to sleep after a few days of waking up in terror from the same dream over and over. Lying in bed, terrified over nothing, exhausted, starting to drift back to sleep but afraid of slipping right back into the same dream again.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited June 2010
    hahaha, tie dyed godzilla. that would be awesome.

I would try to launch over it.

Melding on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best part about that whole episode is that before that and ever since I have never once remembered so much as a split second of a dream. As far as my brain is concerned, I don't dream. Needless to say, I do, because otherwise I'd be dead or some such.

However looking at in the light of somewhere around twenty one or twenty two years of not knowingly dreaming and then suddenly the exact same down to every tiny detail dream for five months? Hurgh

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used to have a reoccurring dream that a hag lived in this hill nearby, and the entrance to her place was under this paving stone that had always been on the side of the hill.
    The dreams were always very vivid. I could see the herbs hanging and drying. I could hear the pot that was cooking and bubbling away. I could smell the combined odors from the dirt and all the other items.
    She was always trying to teach me things (I don’t remember what) and each dream would pick up where the last one left off. I never had the guts to lift the stone when I was awake.
    After a while I noticed that I haven’t had this dream in a while, so I got to the hill and the stone is gone. Only a black patch of bare earth is left where the stone used to be.

A++, would read again

Jintor on
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »
    We should try and make these nightmares into SCPs

I'm walking up the stairs of the apartment I'm living in towards the bathroom and bedrooms. The downstairs is pitch black, and I know there is something evil there, something that wants to hurt me. At the top of the stairs is the full bathroom, and as I step in I see my cousin, dead eyes staring up. Here tongue starts to wriggle and work it's way out of her mouth. A foot and a half long, it pulls completely out of her body and wriggles its way down the bathtub drain.

Terrified now, I rush to my parent's room, only to find an alien landscape, covered in sand and pulsating crystals. I see a figure, and run up to it, thinking it might be my mom.

It isn't. I wake up, heart pounding, covered in sweat, clutching my blanket.

And thats how I spent my nights ages 6 and 7. Feel free to use whatever you like of that.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited June 2010
    Mine was walking up to a house and finding people had been killed. I walk around looking at bodies (and calling the cops) before entering said house and find the (faceless) murderer finishing off the last few and then he turns to me and I run outside and as soon as I hit the door bam I wake up. Bunch of people I've never met in real life but could give you the entire life story of each and every one of them.

Seemed like it took goddamned hours.

/Edited for greater clarity as I remember more of this thanks a fucking load thread. Really happy to be thinking about this again/

Agh, fuck. I can still remember everything about these people.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I had a dream that I was the human torch.

Except the flames were really weak and I couldn't really set many things on fire.

Everyone just ignored me.

I tried to be all impressive and desperately tried to set a man's shoe on fire.

The soles melted a little and he got all pissy.

SirToasty on
    edited June 2010
    Seriously you people have some intense dreams

I literally cannot remember a single nightmare. None. Ever. Not even from childhood (though I'm sure I had them)

And you guys are coming out with terrifying shit

Cilla Black on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only dreams that I do remember these days are nightmares about one thing or another

Grey Ghost on
    edited June 2010
    At least now when I have dreams with zombies or aliens or other horrific shit I just start punching shit right in the face.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • DrBrightDrBright Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tommy, I believe you mean 590. And, once his story is told, you'll realise that what was done to him was Jack being NICE.

DrBright on
    edited June 2010
    it's a bit over rated honestly.

Sure it is abstract torror, but it is still primal fear.

However, i suggest a cursed deck of cards, when shuffled summon a humanoid, roughly six feet tall, featureless except his face is frozen in an expression of terror.

He challenges to a game of skill, but lets you pick the game. No matter what you pick, he already knows the rules, and is an expert cheater. if you loose he kills you, if you win you get an unnamed boon.

positive effect is different on a per person basis, and most are honestly not that helpful. But being able to keep tigers away is a useful boon.

Not sure what happens if you refuse, probably murder.

Melding on
    edited June 2010
    Oh and there was this one that involved this stranger appearing at some people's house and staying with them for awhile. Eventually he told them that something horrible was going to happen and he had to take their youngest girl (she was 7 or 8) to safety but no one else could come. After some time they accepted and the two left. Later the family was gathered in their living room with a blue light emanating from the center of the room. Everyone was crying except for the mother. Then the blue light enveloped and incinerated them all.

Then the man and little girl had traveled awhile by foot and sirens are heard. The girl asks the man what is going on. He looks at her and says, "You see," at which point his skin turned green and began to rapidly rot away. "They are coming for me."

He was a zombie and was going to eat the girl.

SirToasty on
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's a lot of trouble to go through just to eat a little girl.

Hobos are a lot easier to come by.

Edited to make this post less awful

Silven on
    edited June 2010
    Is he a smart zombie to trick them like that or a dumb one to go through all that shit just to eat a kid that probably wouldn't be able to defend herself had he just attacked?

SirToasty on
  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe the fear that builds up over time makes the flesh taste better.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He is a smart zombie.

But a very bad predator.

Silven on
    edited June 2010
    The zombie is a metaphor for the loss of your innocence.

(you're the little girl)

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I had a dream that I was the human torch.

Except the flames were really weak and I couldn't really set many things on fire.

Everyone just ignored me.

I tried to be all impressive and desperately tried to set a man's shoe on fire.

The soles melted a little and he got all pissy.

hahahahahahaha

I used to have this nightmare when I was like nine? every time it would start out with me and a couple of my friends going down a water street thing(think venice) in a gondola. We would get up to my house (the door of said house being twenty feet up) and I would climb this rickety ladder and go inside and I see my little brother and my cousin (they are both four years younger than me) but they're like these goblin monster things and they're limping towards me. I try to run away from them but I fall over. I can see my mom and aunt sitting in the living room talking about something. I try to yell but nothing comes out and my cousin pounces on me and thats when I wake up!

I hated that fucking dream

but I also had a nice dream that was like Zelda where I was link but it took place in a waterpark and there were these asshole monkeys and whenever it would start I was like "aww jea its the good dream"

VALVEjunkie on
    edited June 2010
    Pretty smart to set up that explosion, dumb to not just go for it.

Melding on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Oh and there was this one that involved this stranger appearing at some people's house and staying with them for awhile. Eventually he told them that something horrible was going to happen and he had to take their youngest girl (she was 7 or 8) to safety but no one else could come. After some time they accepted and the two left. Later the family was gathered in their living room with a blue light emanating from the center of the room. Everyone was crying except for the mother. Then the blue light enveloped and incinerated them all.

Then the man and little girl had traveled awhile by foot and sirens are heard. The girl asks the man what is going on. He looks at her and says, "You see," at which point his skin turned green and began to rapidly rot away. "They are coming for me."

He was a zombie and was going to eat the girl.

this is freaky because that blue light doesn't even give a fuck!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog