As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Foundation WANTS YOU (to register for D-Class duty)

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    However, i suggest a cursed deck of cards, when shuffled summon a humanoid, roughly six feet tall, featureless except his face is frozen in an expression of terror.

He challenges to a game of skill, but lets you pick the game. No matter what you pick, he already knows the rules, and is an expert cheater. if you loose he kills you, if you win you get an unnamed boon.

positive effect is different on a per person basis, and most are honestly not that helpful. But being able to keep tigers away is a useful boon.

Not sure what happens if you refuse, probably murder.

I like that. You might want to check if there are any other 'deal with the devil' type objects in existance though, its' fairly common

Jintor on
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most of the dreams I remember are either kind of boring or hilarious

For instance, one that I believe I've shared at some point in the past here:

I am a councilor at some sort of summer camp, and we are being assigned 'buddies' for the day to play with, teach, and just generally have a good time with. The person assigning the buddies comes up to me holding a severed foot.

I look at her as though she is insane, while she continues to hold the foot out for me to take. After a bit I say to her "... but it's just a foot."

The lady starts yelling at me for that, saying "Just because she's handicapped doesn't make her any less of a person!!"

I apologize and take "Sheila (or something similar)," as I'm told her name is. The rest of the dream consists of me running on the beach with the foot, 'eating' ice cream with it, and various other activities, all the while wearing an expression like this: :?

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That is pretty funny, I have to admit. I can see a marketing campaign being built around it. I don't know what they're selling, though. Shoes?

Jintor on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Had this one when I was in kindergarten or so.

Me and my brothers are running through my elementary school from this huge guy with a white face dressed in a black trenchcoat and hat. It starts off with us running into a room where my mother is and catching a glimpse of the guy coming around the corner at the end of the hallway about 50 feet away. He's just calmly walking after us. We get in and my brother slams the door shut and instantly the man somehow covers that huge distance in a second and pushes the door open forcing my brother into the wall which for some reason has spikes on it. I run to my mom and she takes me in her arms like nothing is wrong. I feel safe and then the dude pops up with his face right in mine and I wake up.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I swear I've seen something like that, but with a fake leg instead of a foot.

Silven on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DrBright wrote: »
    Tommy, I believe you mean 590. And, once his story is told, you'll realise that what was done to him was Jack being NICE.

man, I need to know what happened now

you just don't go around makin people retarded like that for funnsies

(you don't actually have to tell me I am kidding we cool)

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Only nightmare I vividly remember:

I'm exploring what seems to be a farmstead that's been abandoned for years, probably at least 20. Everything is rusted, decayed, and overgrown. I walk into the barn for some reason and there's a video camera laying on the ground in the middle. I pick it up, put it in playback mode, and put my eye to the eyepiece. The video is being taken from someone standing exactly where I am, holding the camera straight forward (so its video was the same as my field of view before I looked into the camera), and all the debris (papers, loose hay, etc.) in the barn is blowing around as if there's a strong wind blowing through the door behind me. This creeps me out, so I lower the camera from my eye, and all of the debris in the barn is blowing around exactly as it was on the video.

Then I woke up.

Edit: God, that gave me shivers just typing it out. I don't know exactly what it is that creeps me out so much about this, just the whole atmosphere of the thing and the fact that I remember every single detail.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DrBrightDrBright Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have no problem telling you the basics.

Basically, when an O5's daughter was working at the site, she met 590, and they fell in love. 590 knocked her up. The retardation was to keep 590 from facing harsher punishment at the hands of the O5...and making sure he wouldn't remember any punishment that was inflicted.

DrBright on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    D: maaaaaaaaaaaan

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Nightmares are the only dreams I ever remember. My first taking place when I was six years old (I remember because I had a calendar in my room).

I'm in a train with my family. I don't know where we're going, but outside it's just an endless landscape of rolling green hills and farms and such. A waiter comes up and serves us our meal, which is a human heart. My family isn't bothered by this at all, but I am, so I follow the waiter guy into the next train car. The next car is filled with people who are dead, but otherwise look perfectly normal, as if someone hit pause. The creepy waiter is moving into the next car already.

I follow him through each car, and as we progress the scenes get more disgusting until people are maimed and hanging from the ceiling. At this point I'm running through each car because whenever I stop looking at the corpses, they move closer to me without making noise.

At the final car the waiter is just standing at the end, waiting for me. No corpses. Perfectly clean. And then he warns me about something that I've long since forgotten. I only know it was a warning because I can clearly remember expecting something to come for me all of the week after that.

Silven on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    What he said.

Man, I gotta get around to actually reading some of yo' stories, Bright.

Jintor on
  • Options
    DrBrightDrBright Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am not the best writer on the site. I am not really that great of a horror writer. I do quirky, weird and 'wait...eww.'

DrBright on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We have a security breach!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just from this page, Raiden and Silven, that's some nice imagery from you guys.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    DrBright wrote: »
    I am not the best writer on the site. I am not really that great of a horror writer. I do quirky, weird and 'wait...eww.'

You're actually one of my favorites, personally. Both as an author and a character.

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Where do they post the stories that aren't directly connected to specific items?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh noooo

can't wait to read the story to accompany it though

also, you may want to put that in spoiler tags, just as a precaution

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Melding wrote: »
    Where do they post the stories that aren't directly connected to specific items?

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/foundation-tales

and some here too:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/incident-reports-eye-witness-interviews-and-personal-logs

Raiden333 on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh hey, we're talking about nightmares here?

Okay.

As most nights, last night I had a nightmare. It began as I found myself walking to what I identified as the base of my 'faction'. Apparently I belonged to some military organization sent to a strange land recently discovered to research odd ruins in the hopes something useful could be found to aid us in some vague war effort.

Our base, was situated in a box canyon of grey, parched stone. Composed of a silvery metal and etched with long dark lines of another alloy, it stood as an imposing tower with an oblong disc providing both a tactical vantage point and cover for the entrance at its base.

Looking down at myself, I found that same amalgam of metal encased me in armor. At my side I found a short sword hanging upon a leather belt.

I wandered around a bit, confused, until what was apparently a squad member came over asking whether or not I was ready for the expedition into the ruins. He appeared human, wearing the same armor as I, but his mannerisms struck me as odd. I owe this to my disorientation.

Before I knew it we were flying in low upon some sort of craft towards what I can only assume were the much talked about ruins. It was a strange site. A large pyramid entirely composed of solid, smoky black quartz. Not a single seam in its surface could be seen as the midday sun gleamed upon its surface. Spread about the pyramid in seemingly random locations were the decayed remains of what had once been a city, composed of bricks harvested locally from the grey canyons. Circumscribing it all was a perfectly circular river. I say river, though it had no obvious source or mouth, because it flowed in its circle unceasingly as one might expect a river to flow.

We landed within the circle, and immediately set out to investigate the area. We split up in groups of two, making from (what is a cursory guess) 10 or so groups. Not much of interest was found. I came upon an altar of some kind still plated in brass with worn inscriptions, standing behind it a statue of brass ruined by some long past disaster.

I heard a call from one of our squad that they had found something. He came running over holding a faintly glowing purple crystal aloft. As he jogged close to the pyramid near us, there was, an unexpected reaction.

The crystal in his hand blazed a strident and sudden light, I could see he only suffered for a moment as he only had dawning realization on his face that something was very wrong.

One moment, he had been running towards us, the next his corpse was 4 ft embedded into a ragged hole in the side of the pyramid. We stood in shock for a moment before I began screaming to the rest of the squad to form on the site, calling out the danger.

We had only just reached the smoking hole, peering into its light-less maw curiously, when a form sprang screaming from the abyss.

He must have been at least 9ft tall, a humanoid with bestial features. His knees knocked back like a cat's, and ending in the hands of a primate resplendent in claws. Coarse grey fur covered all but his ape-like face, hands, and feet. He wore what I can only describe as a black silken quilt in the Egyptian style, with a black cap of braided leather strings which hung down his back. Holding in one hand a spear of metal exhibiting organic structure in its knots and twists, while in the other hand he held a disc a little larger than a dinner plate whose surface was similarly rippled organically, the plates ripples however seemed to catch a red light that wasn't there.

We all drew our swords, but it was of little use. The thing began its vicious attack, sending its spear cleanly through the head of one of our own. At times he would hold the disc aloft and a strange light would collect in it from the pyramid behind him, rising in intensity before releasing a shuddering blast of lightning that chilled us to our bones.

The fight was a massacre, and the last moments of my time there were spent running panicked across the river and into surrounding woodlands haunted by its strange ululating howl.

And then I woke up!

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddamnit Krosius

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    good god kro that is some damn fine imagery you got goin there

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's a neat story, but can he play poker?

Melding on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    last night I had a dream that was basically a bad indiana jones fanfiction

I was evadin' traps in this sandy-yet-Mayan type structure and also there were cultists and and innocent folk captured by the cultists and also awesome robot statue things with glowing eyes that I shot with my revolver and beat up with my fists

I snapped the neck of one with my bare hands, wrenching its head from its body- it was a single piece of stone, carved in the shape of a canine's skull
    as the glow faded from its empty sockets, I tossed it to some boy that was part of a group I'd just freed from the cultists, saying "Here kid, might as well get outta this with a souvenir"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Krosius

I don't even

Silven on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit, I just read the chronicles of agent aa/SCP-784

holy shit

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mine is a charmed life of frequent terrifying sojourns into bizarre dream realms in which I often find new and exciting ways to be on the precipice (or beyond) death and madness.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-451

451 is awesome. I really love the concept. Writing needs a little work.

Jintor on
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I never thought I'd be jealous of anyone for actually being able to have nightmares.

I just don't have them anymore.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You should not be envious.

Oh, sure, they make for good stories, but these things are that special kind of terrifying that never ever goes away ever.

Even when they're ridiculous, you still remember how damned scared you were.

Silven on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »

I wouldn't mind seeing someone actually make those videos.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh my god I just realised what that story did (unintentionally or not)
    The most dangerous animal
    is man

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Are you sure?

Are you sure it isn't
    the gigantic mutant five-jointed jellyfish lakemonster?

Because that's what it seems like.

Silven on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And yet that isn't what doomed the group at the very end.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay but I'm pretty sure the
    lake monster could have killed all of those people. It still gets my vote for deadliest.

Also, who sticks around when things like that go down?

Silven on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    What's the deal with that video oddity entry? It's very strange, and the only impression I get from it is that the subjects might be aliens of some kind.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think it's just a video record of some random hikers discovering this Land of the Lost-esque place

Then again there's a chance it's a hoax the Foundation uncovered as mentioned in the notes at the beginning.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gatsby wrote: »

Dear Diary,
    Because of Daddy, Mommy and I are going to be used to lure "the Old Man" back to his room. I'm scared.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454