As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Pereza0Pereza0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was just overwhelmed by Zbrush's interface

"So many button to click and so little idea of what they could possibly do"

Pereza0 on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pereza0 wrote: »
    I was just overwhelmed by Zbrush's interface

"So many button to click and so little idea of what they could possibly do"

it's a very daunting program to get into because it isn't similar to anything else at all, but it's learnable. Think of it like the first time you opened photoshop or Maya/Max. You were probably lost as hell. It's the same thing, just a bit of a new learning curve. You just got to play around with it, read some docs and watch some vids. You'll make some shitty stuff before you make something good that's for sure.

"the only way to get it right, is to get it wrong!" - Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You'll make some shitty stuff before you make something good that's for sure.

"the only way to get it right, is to get it wrong!" - Ed, Edd, and Eddy
    As general advice, this gets a score of:

08dlj0394cl.jpg

Paradise on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Professional tools tend to be very complex, but that's only because they have to expose their tools to you. I had the same problem getting started with Blender, but now that interface so many people complain about is a dream to use.

MKR on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Since everyone else is talking about programs and not the art-

Kewop, that head is fucking awesome.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man Sword Dog is just too charming.

Also Iruka I really like that last piece, but that thing that looks like it's blowing out of the dogs mouth over the bird is kinda distracting.

earthwormadam on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Agreed.

The way the light reflects off the skin makes me think of a chocolate easter bunny but as a black chocolate man face I could eat. You know. All hollowed out inside. Kinda makes me feel gay wanting to take a bite out of a man but it looks like itd be really good.

3D stuff amazes me. Great job KD.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010

Also Iruka I really like that last piece, but that thing that looks like it's blowing out of the dogs mouth over the bird is kinda distracting.

I suppose there's no harm in taking it out and seeing how it looks, I'll try it. maybe it just needs to be muted?

Iruka on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Getting used to my tablet

coolio1.jpg

brokecracker on
    edited June 2010
    Not too shabby. Mighta been better with just the first 3 panels though leaving the flashback more to the readers imagination IMO.

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2010
    Fair enough. I have a problem with that, I am trying I swear.

Getting down the feel of not looking where you are drawing is hard, but I am trying to draw with it exculsively for a few weeks. My wife got it for me for my birthday, it's a Wacom pen and touch.

I really dig the pressure sensitivity, and hopefully in time it will help with line weight. The touch functions are handy when using it as a track pad for web browsing but I wouldn't dream of using that to draw with. I would highly recommend it for someone who has never used a tablet before, like myself.

brokecracker on
  • EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cornrows.

Edman on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    garrusfinalsmallweb.png

hoorah i can finally post this

was a birthday present from one forumer to another forumer
    when i had it printed, they messed up 3 times so i got 3 free prints
    and when i went upstairs, i had one large envelope more than i had ordered
    so i also sent one to bioware

i am hoping for a "thanks" scrawled onto a used napkin from them

mully on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been drawing nothing but nonsense lately.....I suppose it's better than nothing at all.

singingdude.png

Mustang on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    alchemy64copy.jpg

Some more late night concepts painting over alchemy images.

GurtPerk on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Iruka wrote: »

I suppose there's no harm in taking it out and seeing how it looks, I'll try it. maybe it just needs to be muted?

I actually really like it. I feel it leads the eye from the tip of the wolfs tail to the swooshy thing down into the wolfs face into the woman back up, keeping the eyes in the image almost like a figure 8 if that makes any sense.

EDIT like this
    iruka.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    HEY GUYS!

Didn't know exactly where to post this, and yeah it's shamless, BUT I'm headed out right now to have my first ever gallery show! YAYYY!!!!!!

http://rhodesgalleryandstudio.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/jay-ogden-is-moving-on-up/

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2010

Ha, thanks
    Agreed.

The way the light reflects off the skin makes me think of a chocolate easter bunny but as a black chocolate man face I could eat. You know. All hollowed out inside. Kinda makes me feel gay wanting to take a bite out of a man but it looks like itd be really good.

I think I may have taught you something about yourself :P

Worked on this and... meh, not really feeling it but here it is.

womanwhitehead1sml.jpg
    womanwhitehead12sml.jpg

Hires - http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/707/womanwhitehead1.jpg
    Hires - http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5027/womanwhitehead12.jpg

Well, tomorrow is another day. Another day, another go at it.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited June 2010

Ha, thanks
    Agreed.

I think I may have taught you something about yourself :P

Worked on this and... meh, not really feeling it but here it is.

womanwhitehead1sml.jpg
    womanwhitehead12sml.jpg

Hires - http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/707/womanwhitehead1.jpg
    Hires - http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/5027/womanwhitehead12.jpg

Well, tomorrow is another day. Another day, another go at it.

What kind of base mesh head do you use? I also really enjoy your sculpts. I still remember the woman soldier holding a rifle still from a while ago.

How long have you used Zbrush? I also use it myself (mainly for retopologizing exisiting models) but I was thinking of starting up a thread based on my progress.

AoB, do you think we'll be able to make a general 3D sculpt subtopic on the forums sometime?

Also: I think the structure of the face you have there is good, but to appear more feminine, I would round off the forehead a bit more and smooth out the nasal labial folds.

GurtPerk on
  • FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dear patriots of the AC, what can I do to this to make it look better?

riddleruddle.png

besides painting it all stupid like this

riddleraddle.png

any advice is welcome, even if it's about how to make a better pastry.

Fedora on
    edited June 2010
    The left hand is looking all kindsa screwy. Look at your own hand and try to figure it out.

Also the image has a cool perspective drifting back into space, and then the cane looks like it was flatly pasted on there. Try making the cane also take up 3d space.

earthwormadam on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    agreeing with the criticism

I like the pose and gesture though

in8x2s.jpg

Tam on
    edited June 2010
    fletcher and chico and fletchers friend fanart

piecedelaresistance.png

mully on
  • IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    :^: Mully.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is that his tie or is Fletchers penis radioactive?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited June 2010
    whatever you want it to be ;) is it a part of the brown guys knee? is it not? WHO CAN TELL THROUGH THE MYSTERY OF SPECKLE BRUSH

mully on
    edited June 2010
    in addition: 2 drawings for a certain persons thing

anyone from se will recognize this

zon2.png

oh my god that needs to be cleaned up

oh well

mully on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    mully you're amazing,

and man this page got creepy

heres a game I havent played in 4 years:
    trollquick.jpg

Iruka on
    edited June 2010
    GurtPerk wrote: »

1. What kind of base mesh head do you use? I also really enjoy your sculpts. I still remember the woman soldier holding a rifle still from a while ago.

2. How long have you used Zbrush? I also use it myself (mainly for retopologizing exisiting models) but I was thinking of starting up a thread based on my progress.

3. AoB, do you think we'll be able to make a general 3D sculpt subtopic on the forums sometime?

4. Also: I think the structure of the face you have there is good, but to appear more feminine, I would round off the forehead a bit more and smooth out the nasal labial folds.

1. I'm using a base mesh created by the CGSculpt guys. I uploaded it here for anyone who wants it

https://sites.google.com/site/chronic2oo3/basemesh_cgsculpt.obj?attredirects=0&d=1

That basemesh honestly isn't all that hot because it doesn't have proper edge loops from the nose to the mouth/chin area. I typically like to use a base mesh that's actually higher poly like in the 2-4K tri count that has perfect edge flow that doesn't need to be retopped, just reshaped on subdiv 1. Though, sometimes depending on object/character, it has to be retopped regardless and I'll start off with something more simple.

2. Speaking of retop, I don't like Zbrush for retopping because like most things Zbrush has no business having, it kind of sucks at times and is extremely limited. The best retop tool right now might be Topogun http://www.topogun.com/media/videos.htm

Another great retop/modeling tool is Max's WrapIt plugin, but it's still in beta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-5XvqX8TQs&feature=related The awesome thing about WrapIt is it's just a Max plugin, so pretty much every hotkey and Max mod/tool can be used in junction with it. Very powerful tool that extends past just retopping meshes. I'm in the beta and it's awesome, but I can't use some of the functions properly because of another plug-in I have installed in Max that gives me Maya's viewport controls called Switcher made by dRaster. Max has a lot of like locked in code with the controls so the Switcher program just makes a few things not work. Switcher breaks some of the Pentools added in Max 2010 also, but I don't mind because I don't need either and rather it be easier for me to jump back and forth from Max and Maya because different studios and clients use either or.

I started messing with Zbrush back in 2007 but didn't really get into it until like late 2008.

3. A 3d thread would be cool if we have enough people here doing it.

4. Thanks for the tips. I'll keep those noted on my next sculpt. I'd go back and work on her, but these are just practice exercises I'm doing prepping for two bigger project ideas I have in mind. I might use some of these heads I sculpted in another idea I have though and if so then I'll go back and touch them up.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh my GOD mully

hahaha thank you so much for doing that!

desktop++

Fletcher on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Needs more larlar.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited June 2010
    Drawing over photos with the tablet:

tiff3.jpg

brokecracker on
    edited June 2010
    GurtPerk wrote: »

1. What kind of base mesh head do you use? I also really enjoy your sculpts. I still remember the woman soldier holding a rifle still from a while ago.

2. How long have you used Zbrush? I also use it myself (mainly for retopologizing exisiting models) but I was thinking of starting up a thread based on my progress.

3. AoB, do you think we'll be able to make a general 3D sculpt subtopic on the forums sometime?

4. Also: I think the structure of the face you have there is good, but to appear more feminine, I would round off the forehead a bit more and smooth out the nasal labial folds.

1. I'm using a base mesh created by the CGSculpt guys. I uploaded it here for anyone who wants it

https://sites.google.com/site/chronic2oo3/basemesh_cgsculpt.obj?attredirects=0&d=1

That basemesh honestly isn't all that hot because it doesn't have proper edge loops from the nose to the mouth/chin area. I typically like to use a base mesh that's actually higher poly like in the 2-4K tri count that has perfect edge flow that doesn't need to be retopped, just reshaped on subdiv 1. Though, sometimes depending on object/character, it has to be retopped regardless and I'll start off with something more simple.

2. Speaking of retop, I don't like Zbrush for retopping because like most things Zbrush has no business having, it kind of sucks at times and is extremely limited. The best retop tool right now might be Topogun http://www.topogun.com/media/videos.htm

Another great retop/modeling tool is Max's WrapIt plugin, but it's still in beta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-5XvqX8TQs&feature=related The awesome thing about WrapIt is it's just a Max plugin, so pretty much every hotkey and Max mod/tool can be used in junction with it. Very powerful tool that extends past just retopping meshes. I'm in the beta and it's awesome, but I can't use some of the functions properly because of another plug-in I have installed in Max that gives me Maya's viewport controls called Switcher made by dRaster. Max has a lot of like locked in code with the controls so the Switcher program just makes a few things not work. Switcher breaks some of the Pentools added in Max 2010 also, but I don't mind because I don't need either and rather it be easier for me to jump back and forth from Max and Maya because different studios and clients use either or.

I started messing with Zbrush back in 2007 but didn't really get into it until like late 2008.

3. A 3d thread would be cool if we have enough people here doing it.

4. Thanks for the tips. I'll keep those noted on my next sculpt. I'd go back and work on her, but these are just practice exercises I'm doing prepping for two bigger project ideas I have in mind. I might use some of these heads I sculpted in another idea I have though and if so then I'll go back and touch them up.

Y'know I tried using TopoGun a few times. I guess I need to read up on some tutorials, but I couldn't really sink my teeth in long enough to use it. I still find I can retopologize just fine in Zbrush, but it does seem like a useful tool.

Also, that WrapIt video is damn sexy. I've been using Max for two years so that'd be incredibly useful.

GurtPerk on
  • Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    not really a traditional doodle, just bored while working on a research paper

tumblr_l3k1n5O5xA1qa0r63o1_400.jpg

Grim Outlook on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's so cute, Grim.

dododod.jpg

Colour study portrait thingy.

ChicoBlue on
    edited June 2010
    Wow if it wasn't for the background I woulda mistook that for a photo.

The highlights on the face and the reflection in the glasses are crazy!!!

earthwormadam on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wow that's phenomenal chico
    perfect subtle color choices on the face

XAL on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chico you got any demo videos up?

Fugitive on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's a lovely little study chico. Nice balance of loose versus tight detail.

Only gripe is the cloth shape in the background being a little too "heavy" and distracting, I would mellow out darks in it a bit to make it recede in the space more.

Scosglen on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't have any video demos up, but I did put together this little gif.
    paiint.gif

Did a little more tinkering with it. Mostly just adjusting some features and making the background a little less prominent by softening it.

I might tinker with it a bit more later and dull down the blacks in the background a bit more like you suggest, Scosglen.
    dubbadub2.jpg

ChicoBlue on
This discussion has been closed.