As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoX] Anyone for Dr. Q?

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's just about the best MM set out there. The demons are versatile and useful and really interesting to slot up depending on your secondary, and the attacks are actually really worth taking. It's very nice. They really should redo the other MM sets to bring them up to par with demons.

Narbus on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I avoided the whips like the plague at first, but goddamn I really like them. Probably the only set that has good attacks..

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    On the other hand, you're a mastermind, which means everyone else on your team hates you

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But with GR you can team with Defenders and everyone on your team hates them instead!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2010
    Ringo wrote: »
    But with GR you can team with Defenders and everyone on your team hates them instead!

:^:

A duck! on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't understand the animus for defenders. I mean I wouldn't want to play one but if someone else enjoys being an FF defender I am happy to have them buff me.

I did chuckle pretty hard at that, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "should've played a Corr" is basically what every Defender is going to hear post-GR

Pony on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In my defense (har har), when I rolled my Dark/Dark Defender CoV wasn't even a blip on the horizon yet, plus Dark Miasma was far more powerful than it is now. It's still fun to play, and it has its moments to shine at times, but it's a far cry from what it was back in I3-I5. Granted, the same could probably be said for most ATs.

I'm personally just bitter that Defenders haven't gotten the kind of love they need, due in no small part to the masochistic Defender community on the official forums. I'd like to see Defender blast sets brought up to the level of, say, Dominator secondaries as far as numbers go; that'd do wonders by itself.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited June 2010
    Honestly they should just port over dominator secondaries entirely to defenders. Drop the blast sets entirely. Go with the Assault sets.

Narbus on
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Narbus wrote: »
    It's just about the best MM set out there. The demons are versatile and useful and really interesting to slot up depending on your secondary, and the attacks are actually really worth taking. It's very nice. They really should redo the other MM sets to bring them up to par with demons.

Eh, I've played both, my Bots are still by far better then the demons. I was kinda hoping that demons might bump bots out of its crowning spot as the best pet set, but no such luck. The demons AI is still wonky because its a combo range/melee set. It does have the benefit that Bots had over most other pet sets in that its more varied damage types. Thugs gets some with the Pyro, but nothing like bots gets and now demons.

I actually had a build on my bots/dark for a long time that included the pulse rifle attacks, they're actually fairly useful. Actually thinking about it now maybe I'll do that up for her secondary build. Pulse Rifle burst and photon grenade.

But yeah sorry Bots > All :)

ransim on
    edited June 2010
    Narbus wrote: »
    Honestly they should just port over dominator secondaries entirely to defenders. Drop the blast sets entirely. Go with the Assault sets.

I think that would be a bit of overkill, myself. Just up the numbers to something more reasonable.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2010
    When GR comes out they should just quietly change all the defender scalers to the corruptor numbers.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010
    hey there is a patch today!

what does it do?

ed: hey, looks like green mitos are going to work right on the LGTF!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    ed: hey, looks like green mitos are going to work right on the LGTF!
    That's unpossible!

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Good thing we got to prove how hardcore we are. 8-)

A duck! on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The supposed Melee/Ranged AI fix didn't work, at least by my anecdotal evidence. My mercs are still blazing headlong into melee combat to brawl instead of shooting. They're the opposite of my Ninjas right now.

Also the RNG gods bestowed me with a blessing: a level 30 Numina unique. Nuts to hoarding merits!

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    edited June 2010
    I never could understand how people tolerated playing MMs. Even with keybinds I get one to maybe level 20ish and just stop liking it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I never could understand how people tolerated playing MMs. Even with keybinds I get one to maybe level 20ish and just stop liking it.

You have to be careful to choose a set which caters to the retarded AI, like Bots. Bots are just as retarded as any of the other sets (some will always run into melee after 1 volley), but after level 32 you'll be lasering/missiling/burninating +3 groups in one volley anyway. MMs won't solo EBs/AVs as quickly as a Brute (in most cases); they trade some DPS for safety and utility. Hell, if you're /dark, you don't even have to give up your DPS.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited June 2010
    Maybe I'll take another shot at a ninjas MM, if for no other reason than it's kind of funny to watch the jounin try to figure out whether they should be in melee or not.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I view Ninjas like I do my DM/EA: I remember the good parts and then find myself about to remake one, and the I realise the good parts were like fine artisan bread on a shit sandwich and give up on the concept. Although I do think about redoing /EA since it got a little better....

A duck! on
    edited June 2010
    So, for people who don't already know, apparently email attachments are only good for 30 days, and then they expire. So if you are using characters' email boxes as longterm storage, you should collect the stuff in their before it is lost to the ether.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Collect, resend. It's just a bit more of a clerical task now. Maybe the CoH Trillionaires will lose a few billion influence and infamy in the process and the prices go down. :)

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's just that they apparently didn't see the need to make an announcement until people's mails started disappearing, and then it was 'oh yeah 30 days.' I was only a couple days away from losing some expensive stuff of my own, so lucky me I guess.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • BufordHicksBufordHicks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone here besides me a Mac user of CoX? I'm interested in knowing what the status is on a fix for the cursor issue where the CoX cursor is replaced with the normal OS X cursor. This really screws up anytime you need to drag , inspirations , enhancements, or powers around since the cursor won't display what you're moving.

BufordHicks on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey dudes, GR is coming in July right?

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited June 2010
    That's what they say!

Narbus on
    edited June 2010
    Apparently they have quietly changed most of the promotional announcements to say "summer" rather than "july," which might indicate coming delays. Which would suck!

Also can someone who knows explain to me how to launch the game without going through the updater? I'm having trouble getting it to connect.

ed: nevermind, I found it

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

The sometimes-complexity of controlling your minions was offset by the coolness factor of having.. well, minions. Seriously, it's a class that lets me control many minions to do my dirty work for me. It's the reason I love pet/summoning classes in MMO's.

Metallikat on
    edited June 2010
    I like the idea of MMs, they just don't seem like they're implemented all that well.

1) collision detection is a big HAET for me, especially on teams on the smaller maps. Basically anything other than the big open world maps and I'm going to be pushing bots around all mission, and so is anyone I'm teamed with.

2) there isn't enough to actually do. And I mean my highest level MM is /dark, and I still felt like I was standing around a lot waiting for the bots to do their thing.

3) the way their summons/buffs work make traveling, buffing and recovering from death time consuming and annoying. There have been a lot of QoL changes on this front, but it still kind of sucks.

4) obviously pet AI is an ongoing issue.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MMs are alright

1) MMs are alright

Gear Girl on
    edited June 2010
    EGADS!

MUTANT PACK!

The City of Heroes® Super Booster V: Mutant release is up for testing on the Training Room for a limited time! This booster pack features will be available for all player characters on the Training Room. The costume change emotes** listed below require unlocking at least one additional costume slot.

Mutant Theme Costume Sets

The Mutant theme costume sets unlock all-new heads, armor, sleeves, shoulders, gloves, tails, wings, pants and boots.

* Organic Armor
    * Bioluminescent

Both costume sets include tintable costume pieces, a new feature that allows you to create unique glows for individual costume pieces.

Secondary Mutation Power

Tap into the incredible potential locked within your DNA. Secondary Mutation allows your character to mutate itself for amazing, unexpected results. Charge into battle with new abilities. Be careful, they may help your foes more than you.

Character Emotes

* Showoff
    * Growl

Costume Change Emotes

Activate the following mutant-themed costume change emotes using the costume change interface, selectable from the main Menu.

* Energy Morph
    * Rapid Boil
    * Dimensional Shift

**By default characters only have one costume slot, and must unlock additional costume slots through activities in the game. This can be accomplished by completing costume slot missions at levels 20, 30, and 40, and by using Halloween Event salvage (which can also be bought and sold via the in-game Consignment Houses).

COMBINED

Tasks

* Fixed a bug in all Police Band/Broker ‘rescue’ missions, where the boss guarding the rescue NPC would be named 'BOSS_DISPLAYNAME’

Tailor

* Fixed a bug that made the left hand gun of female Thugs Masterminds (except the Legacy Semi-Auto) invisible.
    * Fixed a bug for Male and Huge characters where the legacy tails still showed up in the Belt category if the upper body was set to Armored or Baggy.

CITY OF HEROES

* None

CITY OF VILLAINS

* None

Narbus on
    edited June 2010
    Oh and on the topic of MMs, though I do enjoy them greatly, I think the game just isn't set up to really make them "work." Things like having to give an inspir to pets individually, or the way the levelup bonus doesn't hit your pets, or accolades that don't hit your pets. A lot of the 'backend' of the game is set up for you to be one guy, not 7.

Narbus on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I still played this game (and I really don't) and I still played my awesome 4ft 11-dimenisonal gravity controller (which I wish happened more often), I would have plunked down the $15 for that mutant pack before I had even finished typing this post. The new things are exactly what I had in mind for the character all those years ago.

Shame I have to pay $15 just to get a character to look right. Even more so considering it's this game.

WeX Majors on
    edited June 2010
    Big Ol' Screenies! Linked for size.

Spikey!
    http://i.imgur.com/Je9AC.jpg

HORROR.
    http://i.imgur.com/yGe6K.png

EDIT: The booster packs are $10 each, not $15. And dimension shift is the best ccemote yet.

Narbus on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, the big hit for them is the relative uselessness of Inspirations, which is especially noticeable when it comes to reds. Also noticeable is how fast AoE damage kills you if you don't have an AoE heal. At this point I pretty much refuse to play an MM that doesn't have one.

The new pack seems interesting, but they're having a real hard time matching the Magic pack for overall value.

A duck! on
    edited June 2010
    oh, did they finally release the mutant pack?

I have gotten some good use out of ninja run

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Near as I can tell, secondary mutation is a self-targeted Mystic Fortune. I tried it and got Quick Reflexes, which is 30% recharge.

There's one that's 15% to movement, another that's 3.75% to all typed defense, Acute Senses is 2.25% Positional Defense (3% on a tanker), 3.3% Accuracy, and 60% perception

Narbus on
    edited June 2010
    ye gods those are some ugly costumes

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010
    And here's my friend dimension shifting.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=33ccck3&s=6

Knock your socks out.

Narbus on
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, that's pretty cool.

CyberJackal on
This discussion has been closed.