As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pictures of the Penny Arcade ship

Midas244Midas244 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in PAX Archive
Hey all!

For PAX East I made a penny arcade themed pirate ship. A lot of people asked for pictures so I had a friend photograph the ship and I figured I'd share it with everyone. Here's a preview image of the album:

IMG_1662.JPG

Here is a link to the actual album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=nstrassfeld&target=ALBUM&id=5460942854303922033&authkey=Gv1sRgCPHt8fivopv0rwE&invite=CM-UsogG&feat=email

Just as an FYI: this is a ship by a company called World Works Games (http://www.worldworksgames.com) that I modified to be Penny Arcade themed. Please let me know if you'd like me to post a copy of the sails so that people can print them out themselves. I got permission from the company so it's cool if I share the customized sails.

P.S. In case anyone was wondering: the reason I made this was I never played D&D until I listened to the podcast where the penny arcade guys played it. Now I'm hooked and I made this ship (among other things). Because I figured it was all Jerry and Mike's fault I brought it with them to PAX East and asked them to sign and name it. For those who are interested it was called "The Pollarum". I got Jerry, Mike, Scott Kurtz and Wil Wheaton to sign it. If people want to see a picture of the signatures, the special mast I made (it was a deep crow) or the other "PAX Exclusive" changes I made to the ship let me know and I'll post other pics.

P.P.S. I wasn't sure which was the correct forum to post this, hopefully this was ok. If not sorry moderators!

Midas244 on

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2010
    This is fantastic man, I'm going to move it to the PAX forum for you so everyone can see it.

Tube on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can salute that with both hands.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got to see the ship in person while I was in the Gabe and Tycho signature line.
    I am the guy that suggested that Kiko and the 2 Player guys would want to photograph it. Did they?

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey mentok1982,

No the line was really rushed and I didn't see Kiko. I didn't want to hold up the line for anyone else. I'm going to be at the full PAX East next year and the ship and a couple of other things (which I won't reveal!) will be with me. Maybe then I'll be able to find Kiko or the 2 player guys.

Midas244 on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just fyi you don't have to, and in fact are strongly encouraged not to, sign your posts

However you are an awesome dude and this is awesome

I would love to see the other pics if you wouldn't mind posting them

Rent on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    However you are an awesome dude and this is awesome

I would love to see the other pics if you wouldn't mind posting them
    Midas244 wrote: »

Oh, or did you mean the deep crow mast? If so, then yeah, I'd like to see that too.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Sorry about that, I removed the signing (I'm new to the forums...)

I can post the pics but that'll take longer (I have to go home and photograph the thing after work); if you want me to post the actual PDFs so you can print your own copies of the sails I can do that now though. Let me know.

Midas244 on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey mentok1982,

No the line was really rushed and I didn't see Kiko. I didn't want to hold up the line for anyone else. I'm going to be at the full PAX East next year and the ship and a couple of other things (which I won't reveal!) will be with me. Maybe then I'll be able to find Kiko or the 2 player guys.

Bad luck I guess. :?

What did Mike and Jerry say about it? Do you recall?

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They were incredibly rushed so didn't say much, Mike definitely said "Holy crap!". The actual great story though was Wil Wheaton. It was really only luck that I got Wil to sign it, the line to talk to him was over an hour long.

I had left the box I used to transport the ship in the main theater while I went down to get it signed by Jerry and Mike. When I got back the theater was closed and the enforcers asked me to wait while they got the box. They pulled me aside from the theater two tables down from Wil. I really wanted to get him to sign it but there was an hour wait and I was only able to get tickets for Sunday and hadn't seen the show at all.

Wil kept looking over at the ship and when the guy finally brought the box and I started putting it away came over to me and said "Wait you're putting it away? Why???". I got a little tongue tied but my friend jumped in to save me and replied "We need to see the rest of the show but he would really like it if you signed it". Wil said he was happy to and told me "As someone who's tried to get people excited for geek stuff all my life this is incredible." I really didn't know what to say to that (I'm not great at taking compliments) and just said thanks.

I made sure to ask the line if it was ok before I got it signed and they were all really great and said it was no problem. It's honestly the most memorable and fantastic experience for me, especially considering it was my first PAX.

Midas244 on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good Lord, that's beautiful. I would love to have one of those on my mantle (or perhaps a slightly smaller version inside a bottle on my office desk). Do I hear commissions? :D

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If you got some time you can totally make the ship and I'd be happy to provide the custom penny arcade sails, deepcrow mast and penny arcade transparencies that I put on the ship. It's not really expensive, the Maiden costs $17 so it's just that and the cost of paper and printing. I have ADD so this was actually me trying to challenge myself to finish a larger project.

My current plan is to make a second one for myself but then make two more ones for the Child's Play Charity auction (hopefully for 2010 but maybe 2011). My friend will help build wood stained boxes with skulls and crossbones burned into them. I think if I work really hard at it I could raise $1000 per ship which would be amazing.

Midas244 on
  • Options
    Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is supremely sweet! I applaud you for your beautiful work on this.

I avoid projects like this because I wouldn't be able to settle for it as it is meant to be. Paper craft projects turn into massive undertakings...various weight papers, multiple printings of parts so I can stack three dimensional detail onto the flat surfaces. Something as complex as that ship would kill me.

Steel Fire on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gorgeous.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    They were incredibly rushed so didn't say much, Mike definitely said "Holy crap!". The actual great story though was Wil Wheaton. It was really only luck that I got Wil to sign it, the line to talk to him was over an hour long.

I had left the box I used to transport the ship in the main theater while I went down to get it signed by Jerry and Mike. When I got back the theater was closed and the enforcers asked me to wait while they got the box. They pulled me aside from the theater two tables down from Wil. I really wanted to get him to sign it but there was an hour wait and I was only able to get tickets for Sunday and hadn't seen the show at all.

Wil kept looking over at the ship and when the guy finally brought the box and I started putting it away came over to me and said "Wait you're putting it away? Why???". I got a little tongue tied but my friend jumped in to save me and replied "We need to see the rest of the show but he would really like it if you signed it". Wil said he was happy to and told me "As someone who's tried to get people excited for geek stuff all my life this is incredible." I really didn't know what to say to that (I'm not great at taking compliments) and just said thanks.

I made sure to ask the line if it was ok before I got it signed and they were all really great and said it was no problem. It's honestly the most memorable and fantastic experience for me, especially considering it was my first PAX.

Cool story bro!

No I mean it. Not only is it a great story, you told it very well. I feel like I witnessed it myself now.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Very impressive. I saw you carrying it around and was in front of you during Q&A 2.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arrrrrrr!!!!!

Well shiver me timbers matey!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
This discussion has been closed.