As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Faded Sneakers Art Thread ~ NSFW

Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello AC people ~

I was looking for something to draw the other day outside my own projects and stumbled across your "bi-weekly" er "semi-monthly" ~_O challenge thread.

Looking at some of the past ones you guys had done I was inspired to draw up what I would have entered had I been there at the time. Im going to toss up the first few I did and will post more as I finish them.

Crits etc are welsome.

In any case hope you like them and thanks for the cool ideas.
This is from the Red Vs Blue one. A Not-so-little Red Riding Hood vs Smurfs.
RedVsBlue.jpg

Santa vs. Dinos
SantaVsDinosaur.jpg

Choose your World Destroyer. This portrait is kinda fail, so I better mention it is supposed to be Michael Moore.
MichaelMoore.jpg

Redesign of a Classic Monster. I chose Creature from the Black Lagoon.
CreatureFromBL.jpg

Fancy Hats. Thought this idea was awsome. Took a long while to think up a concept but I enjoyed the challenge.
FancyHat.jpg

This started out as one thing but ended up nothing particular. Just a random drawing messing with exagerated anatomy.
SkullAngel.jpg

BAH!

Thats all for now. But Ill be back with more probably next week.

EDITED TO ADD UPDATED PICS:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, here is a quick update on the ones I posted originally ... I changed a few things and think it fleshed them out a bit even if the additions are minimal which in a few cases they are.

Redesign of Creature from the Black Lagoon
Creature.jpg

Fancy Hat
FancyHat-1.jpg

World Destroyer ... Michael Moore
MichaelMoore-1.jpg

Red vs Blue ... Not-so-little Red Riding Hood vs Smurfs
RedSmurfs.jpg

Santa Vs Dinos
SantavsDino.jpg

Random exagerated anatomy woman
DeathAngel.jpg

Instagram: fadedsneakers
Faded_Sneakers on

• Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, I like those alot! Except for the last one since the anatomy scares me, but you already said you were messing around with anatomy.

In general I think it would help if you made your lines thicker when an object or character is closer to the viewer, and thinner when it is farther away. It would help your scans read better. Try playing around with different line weights rather than one uniform line weight.

I know John K has a lot of stuff about line weight on his blog. Maybe it will help you. http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/search?q=line+weight

Nice stuff keep on posting! <3

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Judging by the two women on here, it looks like you could really, really benefit from studying some anatomy. The torsos and thighs look especially off (too thin, for one). I've got to run to class, but I'll try to elaborate more in a bit.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks valeryce. I checked out that John K blog. Very cool and helpful stuff. Im kind of a head in the sand artist and hadnt heard the name before so I Wikied it to see what he had done and was like DOH yeah I should have known that name. lol.

NightDragon you are right of course. Ive always had trouble with women. Even when doing anatomy studies, unless Im doing a portrait, I feel the need to enhance their body to make it more curvy while sacrificing believability. I really need to find a happy medium between authenticity and fantasy.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    you seem to have a cool technique, but you seem to be hiding a lack of basic drawing knowledge behind lots and lots of details.
    Details tend to stun the average viewer into "ooooooh nicccceee deetaaaails" mode. But as most practicing artists know, it's considerably harder to pull things like this off when you pare them down to their basics. all of the flaws become much more readily apparent, as is the case in the last one.

Basically, you've got a neat technique, you seem to have some experience under your belt, go back and practice some of the basics again. Do some still life studies and observational drawings. They will help you tons.
    I'm a professional working artist who is currently doing first year art courses in school. I had an established style and way of drawing through years of self teaching. I can't even begin to tell you how useful I find the first year drawing course. It's never too late to go back and do that stuff that you missed, or didn't quite grasp.

aside from anatomy, you need to work on your visual flow. Like the last one, the anatomy is exaggerated, but the image doesn't flow well. her body makes sort of a really awkward "s" shape. She looks "flyswatted" As though she's been smushed into the background like a fly on paper.
    Read this for more information on avoiding stuff like this to make your character work more dynamic:
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#perspective_and_construction

like I said before, you have a very interesting style, and I think with a bit of work, it'll really be spectacular.
    I'm also not saying you shouldn't go for heavy details. I think when done well, it really is something great to look at, but it is still important to get your basic underlying drawing down before cutting in these details.
    It should go in layers.

Keep it up and keep posting, I'm interested in seeing where you take all of this :)

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aight! Sorry for not posting that quickly, been crazy few weeks.

NOW, on to some new things!

In keeping with my original reasons for posting the first few are from your "Competition Thread" ideas.

Heroes in a Half Shell
    TMNT.jpg

Gams and Garters: Everyone else did sexy lay-day-s so i thought id freak some people out with something different. O_O rawr
    GamsnGarters.jpg

Halloween Costume: Dr. Drew is the host of a radio show called Loveline. A caller called in about Furry Fetishes and at the end of the call someone said if Drew were a furry hed be bugs bunny. Couldnt get that out of my head so here it is.
    DrDrew.jpg

These next two are random extras.

Fist a page of faces you may or may not be able to recognize
    Faces.jpg

Last but not least a portrait of Lyrium and her father (check out the second page of the snap shot thread if this seems strange, i swear its not strange <_< >_> @_@ much. sad face)
    LyriumPortrait.jpg

BY THE WAY! As to the comments about my female anatomy, give me a few days please because I'm wiping together a page of warrior ladies that I think are more accurately depicted. =P

See you on the flip side!

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    holy hell, the stippling!

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    You clearly have very good technical skills, but the way you're applying your hatching is detracting from your drawings a lot. It really flattens things out. Try applying the hatching at not 90 degree angles, as well as using it to give your subjects some form, rather than only value.

I'm digging this up from the grave because it's really good:
    cross%20hatching%201.jpgcross%20hatching%202.jpg

Edit: also, do you use a ruler?

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nappuccino ~ lol, yeah. Those damn dots mock me in my dreams.

Bombardier ~ oo, cool tutorial. Thanks for that. The note on there about parallel lines struck me immediately as something that I need to change.

Pretty much the only time I use a ruler is when an item seems to demand it, such as furniture, buildings and certain tools like the pool ques or sword blades. For cross hatching I never use a ruler.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    <3 in this thread too

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    again, you're cutting in with all these fantastic detailed brush strokes and stippling, but the underlying structure of your figures is very off.

GamsnGartersredlines.jpg

i took gams n garters and outlined just the important parts of the figure
    paring it down to the very basic image of a man

the waist has liefeld written all over it. it is entirely too thin. because you've rendered him in a moderately realistic style, it just doesn't work, if you pushed him a bit more cartoony, maybe it would, but in this instance it just looks really jarring
    his hands are too big
    his arms are both very awkward, his left seems to be growing out of his upper torso and his right has double jointed elbows

this stage of development is crucial to your drawing, you must make sure that all of the pieces fit and are believable at this stage, or the drawing falls to pieces no matter how many nice details you put in.

beavotron on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You need to break your figures down into basic shapes before you go crazy with the details, because right now the structure wouldn't look right even if it was in a cartoony style.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    You need to break your figures down into basic shapes before you go crazy with the details, because right now the structure wouldn't look right even if it was in a cartoony style.

yeah i agree with this, but i think people on this forum tend not to see flaws through copious amounts of details
    they just stop at the details and go "ooooh stippling" and end it there which is why i pared it down to a basic image.

beavotron on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think A lot of these images would really benifit with areas of rest. Just nothing going on. A flat black shape or empty white shape. I can hardly look at some of it because you have so many patterns and marks. And Godfather and Beavo are right.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

yeah i agree with this, but i think people on this forum tend not to see flaws through copious amounts of details
    they just stop at the details and go "ooooh stippling" and end it there which is why i pared it down to a basic image.

Have I told you you're good people?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

Have I told you you're good people?

d'awww <3

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Beavo / Godfather / Kendeath:
    I completely agree that an understanding of anatomy is immensely important for any successful artist. I certainly see the specific points you outlined and I appreciate the critique.

I like the idea of areas of rest and will try incorporating that in a few illustrations.

And here is the first image of a WIP I am working on:

Mazda63030303030303030.jpg

Ultimately there will be a somewhat gothic cityscape behind the car, shading, and some mix of demonic or human elements interacting with the car as well as a title.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    nice work!
    it's a lot cleaner and bolder than your other work and already i can see some improvement

of course... clean and bold is my preference so i'm being biased

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And here are some ladies.

Women30.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think you need to work on varying your line weights... it'll add a more dynamic look not to mention it is strange when her lips have as strong of an outline as her shoes.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think you should take a closer look at how the body is put together. The girl with the whip in the top left's legs are especially strange.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    A lot of these poses don't flow well as one.

The head, torso and appendages don't feel like this whole form, but more like a bunch of body parts stuck together like a toy company manufactures its action figures.

Look up Extended Gestures. It's a concept covered in Nicholaides' The Natural Way to Draw. This concept would be invaluable to you as an artist.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Ill look up the Natural Way to Draw.

Ive been looking into buying a couple new technical pens to help with the line weight issue. The only old school Faber-Castell one I found was used and was broken so needless to say that was crap $25 in the trash. Soon as I can get my hands on a couple different sizes Ill start using them and see if I cant vary up my linework.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Two more past challenge thead topics:

Literal Literature: Lord of the Flies. Originally when I thought of LotF this pretty much leapt to mind but as a rotting corpse on a deserted beach with the only other life a swarm of flies buzzing about the body but as I started drawing that felt too comical and not kind of subtley sad enough so I ended up going this route. I may do another to see if I can make a more skeletal "worn" looking character work.

DW2small.jpg

God Splicing: Egyptian Anubis and Hindu Vishnu

GodSplicingsmall.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    First some Christmas Kitties:

KittiesSmall.jpg

And some portraits as posted in the Sketch a Forumer Thread (to see colors check out that thread):

ACPorts.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    First some more portraits of AC peeps:
    ACPortraitsII.jpg

Last a kind of progression thing. This was a Christmas commission that frustrated me, and not just because I waited to almost the last minute to do it and then aged the girl from 20 to 50 between the first and last drafts.

*sigh*
    Disney1.jpg

Disney2.jpg

Disney3.jpg

Disney4.jpg

BAH!

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    Jake!Jake! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love the background. The foreground I'd love to see gone, frankly, especially the coloured version. Sorry.

Jake! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Regretably I agree. Frankly the entire composition should have been rerealized from the begining but I was running out of time. If only father time would spend more time with mother nature we might get a few spare minutes out of this lifewe live. No I dont really know what that means. Rawr! Off to Olive Garden for bottomless soup.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    First a repost from the current challenge thread.

Retro Future:
    RetroFuture.jpg

Now an old challenge thread topic, Satan Teapot:
    SatanTeapot.jpg
    Is it just me or does the "Mother Demon Thing" kind of look like a monkey slurping a spaghetti noodle?

Sigh.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So this first one I read something Tam wrote about a Cowboy Llama. Thought itd be cute and I dont do cute very well so I thought Id give it a shot.

2010LlamaCowboy.jpg

This second one belongs in a PAAC Card Thread but I dont know where it went and dont remember who the OP was so here is what I would have posted there.

2010SleepyTime.jpg

Added a PAAC Logo from Iruka because I thought it made the template more complete.

PAACCard.jpg

Self portrait. GAR!

2010Meh.jpg

And some naked ladies doing stuff.

I feel the "Dragon Snake" should continue to bob in and out of the water a couple times to make the foreground look more complete but I couldnt agree with myself on how to do it without it looking silly.
    2010TropicalNude.jpg

2010VampireSaysHi.jpg

Kinda think I should add a Clown hiding behind a Barrel in the background. Not sure if it would be worth the effort at this point though.
    2010WildRide.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hello again.

Working on some new stuff so hopefully Ill be around again.

Heres a logo I worked on recently. WAY too fucking detailed but I like the idea, now I just want to simplify it.

25.jpg

Heres just an update on some pieces youve already seen.

Final.jpg

RF20.jpg

TNFinal.jpg

VSHFinal.jpg

SelfPort25.jpg

Catch you on the flip side!

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay here be some WIPs.

Working on some designs. If you like anyone in particular let me know. Leaning towards 9 I think myself.
    CBDesign.jpg

Not really sure where this is going but I liked the first panel so I had to ink at least that.
    BirdFood.jpg

If you can think of anything I should add to this let me know.
    VideoGame.jpg

Yes I started this like five months ago. But I still think it needs to be finished. Almost there.
    WildRide.jpg

One of the many examples of my desire to add detail and crosshatch totally effing me up. Sigh.
    VampSaysHi.jpg

Cleaned up a bit. Think Im gonna stipple the background before I lay it away.
    Tattoos.jpg

And stippled. Cant decide whether to leave the foreground clean or go in and add blacks and details. I think I may end up ruining it.
    SpaceMonkey.jpg

Doodles reposted from the uh doodle thread.
    2010SB0001.jpg

2010SB0002copy.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Found this strip I did last year.

Kind of drew it and then lost the punch line.

I think originally it was "Urine shock?" or "Urine trouble?"

God I suck at writing crap.

2010UrineShock.jpg

Always thought this was a rather peaceful panel.

Peeing.jpg

And now just some updated stuff. Having to put warning things up in DeviantArt makes me feel like Im doing something bad so I added some decency.

2010TropicalDragon.jpg

2010VampireSaysYum.jpg

And finished this for no particular reason.

2010MysticTattoos.jpg

Faded_Sneakers on