As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First Year PAX

arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR CommanderRegistered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
For the newbies!
Introduce yourself here! Ask questions and maybe get an answer. Talk about your plans. What do you hope to see at PAX and what are you looking forward to the most?

For the veterans!
What should the rest of use newbies expect? What should be do? Not do? Which forums would be the most helpful to read? What to bring and not bring that you wouldn't normally think of? Groups to join? Overall advice to the noobs of PAX!

I would personally like to know about some of the traditions that are at PAX that newbies could join in on (without stepping on any toes)

I should go.
534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
arwen_doll16_LOTR on

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wasn't just for questions, mostly just for talking, chance for newbies and veterans to chat really.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What you should expect is a close-knit family style bonding with strangers and more awesome going on at any moment to cover it all. The only disappointment to expect is the disappointment in yourself for not being able to be in two places at once.

redhalo on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You're going to be overwhelmed. Particularly when you go to the admission line room on Friday morning. The line is a site to behold and somewhat nerve-wracking if you've never seen it before. But lines move quickly enough once whatever you're waiting for opens.
    Also, if you talk to the person next to you in a line and don't wind up in a conversation, then they're doing it wrong, not you. :) Took a while for me to realize that because I can be shy in person.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Once the schedule is printed it would be well worth your time to go through and find all the panels that you want to go to, events, etc. The show room is gonna be there the whole time, but those things you have to plan for.

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wooo first PAX here too!

From everything I have read over the last few months, everyone has been super awesome and very welcoming.

I look forward to hanging out with EVERYBODY! :mrgreen:

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • spiffmanaspiffmana Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    It'll be my first year attending, though I've wanted to go since the very moment it was announced. This year, the stars aligned, and I'm able to make it. I very much look forward to the sense of community that I've read so much about, and I get goosebumps looking at the videos from past years. I absolutely cannot wait. I fully intend to return home completely exhausted and happy.

spiffmana on
  • kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PAXEast was my first, but this will be my first PAXPrime! I'm looking forward to it!

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • hugheserhugheser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it is your first time, you might want to take a look at this short article.
    http://www.road2pax.com/some-tips-for-pax-east-163/
    It was written for PAX East but is relevant for both.

hugheser on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Best advice I can give:

Don't be shy. 99.9% of attendees are awesome.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or seek out help if you need it. The PAX Enforcers are the best convention volunteer staff in the industry, especially considering our only "payment" is a free tee shirt*. 99.9% of Enforcers are awesome and they will get any problems sorted out.

There are a lot of lines at PAX. You'll hear a lot of negative stuff about how much you have to wait in lines, but let me tell you it's not the worst thing in the world. There's always stuff to do in the lines, whether it's pipecleaner art or PictoChat. At one point at PAX East, there were no less than 20 pokewalkers linking up in the PAX Merch line.

*Not actually payment, just very cool swag.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Once the schedule is printed it would be well worth your time to go through and find all the panels that you want to go to, events, etc. The show room is gonna be there the whole time, but those things you have to plan for.

Once the schedule is printed it would be well worth your time to go through and find maybe 2 things that you want to go to each day. You will not end up sticking to any sort of plan at PAX if you're there with anybody else in your group.

Personally, I don't think it's nearly as fun if you have some regimented schedule of panels that you have to go to. Fly free like a bird.

Wormdundee on
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »

Once the schedule is printed it would be well worth your time to go through and find maybe 2 things that you want to go to each day. You will not end up sticking to any sort of plan at PAX if you're there with anybody else in your group.

Personally, I don't think it's nearly as fun if you have some regimented schedule of panels that you have to go to. Fly free like a bird.

That's one of the benefits of rolling into PAX solo. I can make a schedule and then stick to it....... or not!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yep the only panels I know I'm going to is the Fangamer panel and the Pitch Your Game Idea panel and those haven't been announced yet! THough I plan on going to the main Penny Arcade panels.

If they have a Hey Ashley Watch'a Playing panel I'd probably show up to that one too.

Curse-Ten on
  • ironfistironfist Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    I'm thinking about going to PAX but i've never really been to a convention before and if I did end up going, I'd probably be going alone. Any tips or suggestions for me? Is it still cool going alone? Like, I'm not the most social person ever, but are people generally friendly and not like, closed off and clique-y and stuff?

ironfist on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People are generally friendly - I had great experiences in line - random pick-up magic games, DS chats, and random conversations as well.

Heleor on
  • hugheserhugheser Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ironfist wrote: »
    I'm thinking about going to PAX but i've never really been to a convention before and if I did end up going, I'd probably be going alone. Any tips or suggestions for me? Is it still cool going alone? Like, I'm not the most social person ever, but are people generally friendly and not like, closed off and clique-y and stuff?

I go with a group but occassionally I'll be on my own. I'm also not the most social person around strangers but that doesn't really matter at PAX. There are no strangers. You are home. When you are sitting in line and don't know anyone, your neighbor will almost definitely have many of the same interests as you. If you don't think you could strike up a conversation with someone you don't truely know, you might want to bring some ice breakers like a DS, magic cards, pokemon, etc. If you are friendly, people will reciprocate. There are bad apples but for the most part, PAX people are good people. If all else fails, look for someone wearing a road2pax shirt and we'll hang out. :)

hugheser on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

For the veterans!
    What should the rest of use newbies expect? What should be do? Not do? Which forums would be the most helpful to read? What to bring and not bring that you wouldn't normally think of? Groups to join? Overall advice to the noobs of PAX!

What should you expect: The best thing you could possibly imagination but about 10x better. The friendliest group of people you could possibly imaginion but 10x friendlier. It is (most likely) the best 3 days you'll have all year.

What should you do: The first thing you'll find out is most of everything is fun or at least looks like it'll be fun. But you'll never be able to do everything you want to do. The most important part of PAX to me have been the community events, the parties at the hotels, the impromptu gaming and the hanging out. The expo and the panels are awesome but the most important thing is to go meet people and game. Oh and Wil Wheaton. You should do Wil Wheaton.

Which forums would be the most helpful to read: This one... Everything in this forum, the stickies, get to know the community, join IRC talk to people.

What to bring: Deodorant and a good attitude.

PAX is the greatest thing man has invented since the wheel.

Oh and ironfist re: about going alone ... YES it is perfectly fine to go to PAX alone because at PAX you are never alone.

parabola on
    edited June 2010
    Thank you all for all the great answers and tips! Keep em coming!!

Anyone know of any fun traditions that the newbies should look into?
    I have heard about the cookie brigade and about the buttons that people exchange with their usernames on them =)

cookie brigade: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117299&highlight=cookie+brigade
    buttoneers: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117417&highlight=cookie+brigade

What else is there that people should think about getting into?

I also want to know what other things people should bring that is not normally thought of by first timers?
    So far I have heard things like gameboy, magic cards, deoderant (though I hope most people thought of this one lol.)

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    deoderant (though I hope most people thought of this one lol.)

You would hope that, yes. At the con, you will wish it. And after the con you will beg it of the newbies of next year.

SlickShughes on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thank you all for all the great answers and tips! Keep em coming!!

Anyone know of any fun traditions that the newbies should look into?
    I have heard about the cookie brigade and about the buttons that people exchange with their usernames on them =)

cookie brigade: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117299&highlight=cookie+brigade
    buttoneers: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=117417&highlight=cookie+brigade

What else is there that people should think about getting into?

I also want to know what other things people should bring that is not normally thought of by first timers?
    So far I have heard things like gameboy, magic cards, deoderant (though I hope most people thought of this one lol.)
    PAX is a wonderful gathering of the most friendly gamers and great swag and games to us the geeks.

There are so many things to do:
    Concerts (Friday and Saturday)
    Swag
    Speaks
    Penny Arcade Panel
    Obviously new games
    Rockband stuff (other games of similarity)
    Board gaming
    Game competitions with different gaming consoles
    D&D
    Bring your own computer (BYOC): this cost more money though and needs to be signed up for
    Pillow levels for rest and gameboys

Tips for the area:
    If you are not familiar with Seattle, look into restaurants and places to see. You wouldn't have a lot time, but you’re in a new city. If you research your restaurants you will find better times to eat and lower cost and try new places (google is great: rates, cost, location).
    Lines are long in some cases. You should expect to get there early if you want to get in. Get that guide book at the beginning and map out want you want.
    If you have a camera and enjoy photos, plan to have to download your photos every night. People dress up (including my group) and there are awesome displays and people to meet.
    Of course toys too: gameboy, psp, laptop (we only bring one or two, limited space), magic cards, munchkins, etc
    Be prepared for lots of swag going home with you.

Have a wonderful time, and of course if you see our School Girl Goodness group the first day, come and take photos with us. If you do want to see some of the last past 3 PAX I have flickr accounts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/schoolgirlgoodness/ and http://www.flickr.com/photos/50801739@N04/) and we are already gearing up for this year.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ironfist wrote: »

This is my second PAX, but when I was there in 08 I found not only everyone at PAX itself to be very open and more or less awesome overall, but also most of Seattle in general--and that's saying something since I'm from a city supposedly known for its "Southern hospitality". :D

BrennaCeDria on
  • RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Speaking purely as an East Enforcer and never having gone to a Prime, I can offer one bit of advice about the panel scheduling.

One thing I noticed while working a satellite theater was that the lines for the majority of panels start half way through the previous one. This fact, combined with that of there being an occupancy cap for the rooms themselves, made it very difficult for some people to go to one panel and then try to get into another one immediately after.

To avoid possible disappointment, I would recommend prioritizing which panels you want to see most and allow for a "buffer time" between them. For example, if your three favorite panels are going on in three consecutive time slots, don't get your heart set on seeing the second one. Queue up for the first, see it, then go to free play for half an hour. Then come back to the theater where Panel #3 will be at and start the line. This way, you'll be in for 2 out of the three.

Some panels were less popular (though definitely not less interesting) than others and didn't have this problem. I found that, generally, the more well-known the speakers, the more popular (and therefore more packed) the panel. I remember the Naughty Dog panel line starting even before the panel before it began and reaching capacity within 15 minutes. On the flip side, the D&D dungeon masters panel never got past a couple dozen attendees.

You get the idea. Plan accordingly and you'll be golden.

RDubb on
  • chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Last year PAX09 in Seattle was my first PAX and this will be my second.

I would like to say if you're a newbie, don't be afraid! Be relaxed, casual, and come with an open heart and good attitude. Chances are you will be so overwhelmed you'll never get to see everything. I would plan one day to simply wander the convention center to get your bearings, see where everything is, scope out food/bathrooms (I'd bring an empty water bottle so you can fill up at fountains to keep hydrated, this is more important than you would think and easy to forget! I don't believe the convention center policy lets you bring in outside water but whats wrong with an empty bottle?)

Figure out where you will park/how to get to the convention center early, the downtown area will be very busy. There are nearby restaurants and Westlake Mall that has a food court that will offer quick nourishment without as many lines as convention center food if you're in a hurry. its only 2-3 blocks away.

While at the con in regards on what to bring, i'd have with you portable hand sanitizer, tissues, earplugs for you or young ones for any concerts or loud events. A large bag to carry swag and your electronics around. Make sure you have a way to identify your things in case they get lost! Put your name on your stuff with contact info JUST IN CASE.

Make sure you have a notepad and pen/phone or other media device to take down peoples contact info. You'll likely meet people you'd like to keep in touch with to keep gaming with after the convention.

If you decide to cosplay (you're very welcome to even if you are a newbie there is a place for every kind of geek when you come home to PAX!) make sure you have a *comfortable* costume and that there are no bits that would be the end of the world to have fall off or get lost. It can be rough wearing it. Keep track of your props and if your costume is cumbersome please arrange for a spotter (friend, spouse, kind stranger looking for company) to make sure your guns/wings/etc don't put someone's eye out.

Money - you may need this for various contests to buy into as well as the PAX memorabilia booth.

Emergency items- pain killers, pepto in case you eat bad con food, etc - always a good idea to have a travel size of these because with the energy you will burn and the amount of things you will see chances are you will get at least a headache and you don't want to miss out or be in pain!

chrisstie on
    edited June 2010
    chrisstie wrote: »
    Money - you may need this for various contests to buy into...

Something seems not right here...

SlickShughes on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    The only contests I'm aware of that require "buying into" are the Magic tournaments, because you're buying cards to participate.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    From the PAX FAQ
    Your PAX badge is all-access, and is good for all PAX-run events, concerts, parties, panels, and freeplay areas. That said, some sponsor-run events, such as "Sealed deck" and other ranked tournaments, may have an additional fee.

AKA: what Moe said.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yes sorry meant that, should have been more specific but I am super secret ninja posting from work. MTG, food, drinks, Seattle trinkets go into that list :)

chrisstie on
  • TenaciousGGTenaciousGG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This will be my first year in attendance of PAX, and I can't even find the words to express my excitement for it.

I've been a huge PA fan ever since about a year after it started up online. I was a huge console gamer in middle school to about halfway through HS (got sucked into a korean MMO that took me out of the console VG loop). I'd sometimes fall behind by a year or two and spend weeks catching up on the comics. I'd heard and read about PAX before, but never even imagined I'd get to experience it myself--that is, until I met some awesome people who are PAX vets! My boyfriend (who I began seeing right after PAX Prime 2009) got me super hyped up and invited me along with their annual PAX group. We're going to take a plane from Los Angeles to Seattle. Apparently he didn't know about PAX Train, which I read about a couple weeks ago on these forums. He is on board for the train next year (if they end up doing it again), since we've already secured plane tix.

Mike and Jerry are freaking rad, I've met them twice--last year at SD Comic Con 09, and at a book signing they did for their 11.5th Anniversary book (which I bought for my BF for V-Day) in a small Los Angeles comic book store. Didn't get to chat too much with them either time, but my sister did let out a Freudian slip when we got our pictures with them at SDCC (she said "You guys can be on top" when we were trying to figure out how to arrange ourselves for a picture--the photo caught their facial reactions perfectly). I can't wait to go to their panels, they really know how to engage a crowd (from what I saw at their book tour and videos of other PAX events/panels).

Since I was an MMORPG gamer for about 7 years straight with hardly any console play, I feel like I'm just starting to get back into handheld and console gaming. I got a PS3 for Christmas and dusted off my DS that I used to hardly play, which I now play at least 3 times a week. I'd call myself a casual gamer, I love Pokemon (more into the old-school TV series and TCG), but I've never really gotten into the video games for it; and I'm a huge fan of the Zelda series. I'm afraid I'll be somewhat out of place with regards to most of the big video game-bonding topics (like the Pokemon DS games and Guitar Hero, which I suck at), but I'm hoping I'll end up having fun and trying out new things, and perhaps making new friends.

Also, I can't wait for the concerts; my BF plays the songs from Anamanaguchi all the time, which I thoroughly enjoy, and I love concert atmospheres in general--even better if it's mixed with the awesomeness of video games and the energy that PAX is sure to infect the crowd with.

TenaciousGG on
  • stankerbellstankerbell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    @tenaciousgg

Don't worry about it. One of the things I love about PAX (among many) is how diversified everyone is in regards to what they play. PAX isn't about just console gaming; it includes a huge net that includes everyone who simply loves gaming. Welcome aboard!

stankerbell on
  • Bob JackassBob Jackass Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Socializing is always a first recommendation. It's what makes PAX the experience that it is; something more than just a gathering of gamers.

I'd also recommend these:

- Don't forget the charger for your handheld! You may end up using your handheld more than you think and you don't want to have to run back to your hotel to get it.
    - There will be an information kiosk (on the second floor at Prime, IIRC). If you find something, bring it there. If you lost something, go there.
    - Obviously, don't forget your badge. But if you lose it, don't fret. PAX is run by cool people and cool people like Robert Khoo can help you out.
    - Pace yourself. There will be things you want to see but will miss. Don't tire yourself out by trying to run everywhere and do everything. I made that mistake once and paid for it by sleeping through most of MC Frontalot's concert.
    - Finally, be prepared to feel sad when PAX ends. It's a normal feeling. But rejoice in the friends you've made and the knowledge that you're only 6 months away from another PAX.

Bob Jackass on
    Check out my actual, real life rock band!

Xbox Live - Bob Jackass || Playstation - Cosby__Sweater || Steam - Bob Jackass

Twitter
  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been going to PAX since year 1 (2004). The first year, I went with a couple of friends. But from year 2 til this coming Labor Day weekend, I have been going by myself.

Now... "by myself" is really an exaggeration. Yes, I do go to PAX on my own, but I end up staying and hanging out with some of the most awesome Canadian folks I know that are from the 604/778 area (as well as the Sealab folks). I haven't been a huge PA fan/reader the last couple or so years (IRL issues, bleh) but you don't even need to be a PA fan to enjoy PAX. As long as you like video games (or anything sort of like it) then PAX is for you.

If you're worried about socializing, that's normal. That's why we have a PAX forum. Most of the folks that I hang out with during PAX are regular forumers (sadly, I'm not a regular here). So if it helps, start acquainting yourself with the folks around here. Participate in several forum activities here. I know that the button exchange is a great way to meet people. And next thing you know, you'll be hanging out with them during PAX.

PAX is like this very huge convention where it feels like you know everybody. As a not-so-social guy myself, that's saying a lot. It's always nice to run into people here and there and exchange stories, even if it's just for a minute or so.

And there's my two cents on this. I'm sure I have more advice, but this is all I can think of right now.

degreesplatinum on
    edited June 2010
    Anyone know of specific events or games they are looking forward to previewing and seeing?

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    edited June 2010
    Eventually, mentok will post a thread detailing games he expects to see demos of based on release dates and the like.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Guild Wars 2 is the only officially announced game so far. We should wait at least until after E3 for everything else.

Heleor on
  • sunnykodasunnykoda Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is also my first year to PAX, and my first trip to the USA! I am really looking forward to it and will be documenting the event. I'll also be catching the PAX train and probably spending a lot of time in industry panels as I am a young concept artist with no connections outside of Australia. Looking forward to meeting you all soon =)

sunnykoda on
    I am filming a documentary about gaming culture and need help from gamers: http://www.sunnykoda.com/L2PUSA/index.html
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As a 2nd year attendee, I can agree to just about everything everyone else has said.

The only other thing I could say is: Make sure to not focus all your time on one section. Get out and see all that PAX has to offer. Even if you aren't a panel person or a console junkie, wander through and see what they are playing or go listen to the Keynote. This will let you have the FULL Experience.

I ended up spending most of my first PAX in Board gaming, barely branching out, and I'm going to make up for it this year, even with still holding up my responsibilities as an MIB with the SJ Games crew.

The entire thing is worth the experiences you will have. So have fun, relax, socialize and be ready to PARTY :)

Solelron on
    edited June 2010
    Solelron wrote: »
    Even if you aren't a panel person or a console junkie, wander through and see what they are playing or go listen to the Keynote. This will let you have the FULL Experience.

The keynote comment is misleading: it's hard to just drop by on it. I think I spent 3+ hours waiting to get into the wheton keynote at pax e, other popular panels will be similar.

I do support the general intent there though, make an effort to see some of everything.

SlickShughes on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First time doing BYOC for PAX Prime.. This really can fit into both topics sooo... how much does it cost to ship a ATX cross country from New York and how long? Finally, when to ship?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • takoayakotakoayako Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    If I am able to make plans to attend PAX -- this would be my first year.

Hi!

My friends and I have been thinking about going to PAX -- we're pretty much accepted the fact that we are attending. But it being about 2 1/2 months away, it is still too early for us to make plans since we all work and attend school. What I'm nervous about is that we wait too long and tickets will be sold out. When is the last possible "safe-ticket-purchasing" time? I'm thinking we'll be safe if we buy our tickets by early August. But, I'm just so nervous waiting that long for them to make up their mind!

takoayako on
    edited June 2010
    It's hard to say exactly, your best bet is to keep an eye on the forums and the @Official_PAX twitter feed. When tickets start getting low, there will be announcements stating so.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• takoayakotakoayako Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Okay! Thanks for the tip!

takoayako on
This discussion has been closed.