As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bring Your Own Tabletop Game (BYOTG doesnt sound so good)

person34person34 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in PAX Archive
I figured I would post a thread for people to collaborate on which games they were going to be bringing and what games are going to be run. This is for my own purposes as well as for others. Since Im planning on bringing alot of games but like to have random/different people join my games. Also all you other people can look here and see what is going to be in the tabletop room. (If this topic survives at least.)

Ok, so heres my list of games.

I will most likely be playing these the most:

Arkham Horror (Lovecraftian Horror Board Game)
Munchkin (D&D Backstabbing Card Game)
Dungeons & Dragons ver. 3.5 (No experience required)

I will also have these in case things get slow and I want a change of pace:

Descent (Dungeon Crawling Board Game)
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects (Strategy board game)
ZOMBIES!!! (Survival/Horror kind of Board Game)

And I think I have a couple more, that I cant remember off the top of my head. Please contribute to the list so we can see what sort of games we have to look forward to!

person34 on

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Michael Owen, is that you?

Sorry, that list sounded so familiar I had to ask.

If I find the time during all the other PAX shiznit, I might try to run a Qin: The Warring States campaign.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm definately bringing Stupiduel (a card game of wits), and I could be persuaded to bring The Redneck Game Of Life (you sort of have to play it to get it...)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm definately bringing Stupiduel (a card game of wits), and I could be persuaded to bring The Redneck Game Of Life (you sort of have to play it to get it...)
    is the object of the game to see how many cars you can fit on your lawn? :lol:

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2007
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    is the object of the game to see how many cars you can fit on your lawn? :lol:
    Actually, the goal is to see who has the most teeth left after getting a visit from the loan shark, as well as surviving redneck life. But you can indeed amass a collection of cars - which is good, as you need to have enough car capacity to transport your brood. (And yes, that becomes a delightfully evil way of fucking over the other players, as there are cards that can allow you to force the player to trade their car to you - or steal it outright.)

And here is the text from some of the cards:
    Genetics?
    Add a young'un born with webbed digits.
    collect $50 from each player
    for winning bets
    at the swimmin' hole
    Name him Tadpole.
    You're a Star!
    Featured on Cops episode.
    Collect $200.
    Cow Tipping
    turned out to be a bull.
    Lose 2 teeth.
    Dang.
    Redneck Revenge Card
    Use now or save, face down, until later.
    If another player has a home
    that is or was mobile...Steal it! Keep it!
    They must replace it
    for half price if insured,
    full price if not.

AngelHedgie on
  • TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I’ll be bringing:

3 Dragon Ante
    D&D (of course)
    Diplomacy

Last year I missed all the shows and the speakers, as I got stuck in the table top area. This year I plan to make my self go see a show and at least one speaker, though I know once again it will be hard for me to pull myself away from the table top area. Man there is just too much going on at PAX that I want to do.

TheProphetElijah on
  • person34person34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Just the other day I picked up a game that can be played with up to 18 players. That one should be interesting. Its called the Werewolves of Miller Hollow.

Basically, there are a certain number of townspeople and werewolves. And every turn the werewolves decide in secret a townsperson to kill and the townspeople decide on someone to lynch because they think they are a werewolf. The trick is, the werewolves get to act like townspeople while they are deciding who to lynch for being a werewolf.

Its a blast and I cant wait to get a full game going!

person34 on
  • TempusTempus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    person34 wrote: »
    Just the other day I picked up a game that can be played with up to 18 players. That one should be interesting. Its called the Werewolves of Miller Hollow.
    Basically, there are a certain number of townspeople and werewolves. ...

I believe that game comes in many variations. The one I played was exactly as described, but I've heard a version discussed with "spies" instead of werewolves (strangely enough the ones discussing it were in their 50-60's.) Either way, it's about one notch below actual LARP and is a terribly fun party/social game. I would love to get in on some of that action during the weekend.

Tempus on
    edited May 2007

Basically, there are a certain number of townspeople and werewolves. And every turn the werewolves decide in secret a townsperson to kill and the townspeople decide on someone to lynch because they think they are a werewolf. The trick is, the werewolves get to act like townspeople while they are deciding who to lynch for being a werewolf.

Its a blast and I cant wait to get a full game going!
    It's basically a boxed version of the classic Mafia game. But I would bring it, though - look at how many Phalla threads we have on this board...

AngelHedgie on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's way too much shit to do at PAX. EVERYTHING I brought never got used, as I was too busy attending events to have time for that. Nevermind that I have no friends and scared any potential ones away with my sailor moon doll D: that's besides the point.

Just be prepared to miss out on some other things if you decide to play those. Unless the tabletop area is 24 hours again then you can play late night. But then you'd have to choose between that and sealab.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • EuphasieEuphasie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Unless I space out while packing and forget to bring something, we should be coming up with Munchkin (and I think an expansion or two), Lunch Money (+Beer Money +that other one I forget the name of) and a big ol pile of White Wolf books and d10s. If I wheedle some folks real nice, I might be able to get ahold of an old Call of Cthulu book so I can run my canned one-shot again; I'm not sure if my boyfriend will want to run anything, but I'll be cruising the tabletop room looking for WW games to join for sure. Failing that, I'm so down for werewolf mafia.

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
    edited May 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    There's way too much shit to do at PAX. EVERYTHING I brought never got used, as I was too busy attending events to have time for that. Nevermind that I have no friends and scared any potential ones away with my sailor moon doll D: that's besides the point.

Just be prepared to miss out on some other things if you decide to play those. Unless the tabletop area is 24 hours again then you can play late night. But then you'd have to choose between that and sealab.

Thats one of the best things about PAX. There is so much to do that you can do your favorite thing for 72 hours straight. And then if that gets old you can do your second favorite thing for a few hours as a break.

I know Im going for the tabletop gaming, a couple panels and to watch some tournies (I cant compete. I thought I could last year and the year before... but I was way wrong.)

Anyhoo, my table will always be open to new people joining. I have a couple games that you can join in even in the middle of. I should bring a sign or something... so people will be able to spot me if they want to join. Would it be too much if I made signs that showed what game we were playing and how much time each one would take and if there were openings at the table? Or is that a good idea? Im not too sure at this moment. Ive been awake too long as it is.

person34 on
  • OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't really plan on running anything considering I am inexperienced as a DM, but I'll be damned if I don't bring Exalted, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Vampire: The Dark Ages/Masquerade, Wraith: The Oblivion, Changling: The Dreaming, D&D (I have just about everything I need memorized), and Demon: The Fallen. Ultimately, I am planning on being a WW whore because I love their games and system style.

However, I am down for just about anything, I am a gaming fanatic and not afraid to try new and dirty things.

Officer on
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I will be bringing some Lego, in the event someone else does the same. BrikWars was awesome last year, so it'd be nice to play again this year.

b0wser on
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Thats one of the best things about PAX. There is so much to do that you can do your favorite thing for 72 hours straight. And then if that gets old you can do your second favorite thing for a few hours as a break.

I know Im going for the tabletop gaming, a couple panels and to watch some tournies (I cant compete. I thought I could last year and the year before... but I was way wrong.)

Anyhoo, my table will always be open to new people joining. I have a couple games that you can join in even in the middle of. I should bring a sign or something... so people will be able to spot me if they want to join. Would it be too much if I made signs that showed what game we were playing and how much time each one would take and if there were openings at the table? Or is that a good idea? Im not too sure at this moment. Ive been awake too long as it is.

Last PAX I brought a copy of Sac Noir/Bandu/That Weird Ass Tower Building Game Whatever It's Called as a way to draw interested passers-by into playing or watching, and once I'd got enough folks gathered, I'd bring out the Settlers of Catan and play the six-player road-building fest I really wanted in the first place.

The key to keep in mind is that while you may get people to play one or two games you bring, you'll also be just as likely to want to play a game someone else has brought. Try and theme the games you bring, and that way you'll learn who likes to play the type of games you like. For example, if you get a group to play Risk, then move on to Axis & Allies, then Fortress America, expect most everyone to wander off when you pull out Apples to Apples or Fluxx, and vice versa.

Also, keep to standard games. I'd like to try my hand at a game along the lines of the Worldwar books by Harry Turtledove where aliens invade during WWII using the Axis & Allies board with Fortress America pieces as the invading Race, but I wouldn't want to inflict a half-assed playtest on players without their full consent. I still get the willies thinking of the guy who tried to add Magic to Settlers of Catan at a game con and had blocked out TEN HOURS to try and get it to work...

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is anyone gonna play the Star Wars RPG in the tabletop section?

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm Going to bring the Board game I made this year in my Game Design class, as well as my copies of Munchkin and Fluxx, I also wouldn't mind playing a thousand blank index cards.

teamquiggan on
  • Foxy_RoxyFoxy_Roxy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't mind star wars RPG... doesn't sound too bad at all...
    I'm bringing my magic and naruto decks. so there.

Foxy_Roxy on
    linkdb4.png
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I didn't see it posted (though I've been known to be blind on these things), is anyone brigning Zombies?

I'd love a big-@$$ game of Zombies!!!

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, Star Wars RPG sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll bring some Magic cards with as well. I have no Star Wars RPG books, so I hope you plan on bringing your own, so I/we can jack them for data.

Officer on
    edited May 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »
    I didn't see it posted (though I've been known to be blind on these things), is anyone brigning Zombies?

I'd love a big-@$$ game of Zombies!!!

Oh yeah! Zombies, I also have zombies. But just the original set, but I think its more of a 2 o'clock in the morning game, when you cant keep your eyes focused on anything and your brain is a little addled type of game.

Last year though there were a couple of games of zombies going on. So Im sure it wont be too hard to find if you want to play. Because really, who doesnt love killing zombies and escaping a city infested with the undead, leaving your friends behind?

person34 on
  • skwisgaar Skwigelfskwisgaar Skwigelf Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    While I have none of the books, I could put the books in PDF form on my iPod.

skwisgaar Skwigelf on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    "Let me be the first to tell you you look like shit".
    DJFenderStradt.png
    edited May 2007
    Recruit wrote: »
    I don't really plan on running anything considering I am inexperienced as a DM, but I'll be damned if I don't bring Exalted, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Vampire: The Dark Ages/Masquerade, Wraith: The Oblivion, Changling: The Dreaming, D&D (I have just about everything I need memorized), and Demon: The Fallen. Ultimately, I am planning on being a WW whore because I love their games and system style.

Oh gods you have Changeling and Demon. Expect a tackle-hug from me if you bring those books out in public. I am such a Changeling fan, and lucky enough to have found some of the books on eBay and in local used book stores, but Demon left us with my boyfriend's psycho ex and I never got to finish reading it.

Uh, that is, "Hi, wanna be friends?"

Euphasie on
    Euphasie 83 Human Paladin, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE) Smithereena 67ish Gnome Rogue, <Keepers of Azeroth>, Silver Hand (RP-PVE)
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Euphasie wrote: »
    Recruit wrote: »

Oh gods you have Changeling and Demon. Expect a tackle-hug from me if you bring those books out in public. I am such a Changeling fan, and lucky enough to have found some of the books on eBay and in local used book stores, but Demon left us with my boyfriend's psycho ex and I never got to finish reading it.

Uh, that is, "Hi, wanna be friends?"

Actually they are my books, so yeah... how YOU doin? :winky:

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited May 2007
    Me and my Changeling storyteller screen and my copies of The Book of Noble Houses and "Freeholds and Hidden Glens" are all doin just fine. 8-)

Clearly there needs to be an enormous WW geekout, with piles and piles of shiny, colorful d10s. Perhaps I will make signs for it, or just wear a badge that says "I love oWoD, ask me how!"

Euphasie on
    edited May 2007
    Awesome, I am stoked to see other WW fans out there. WW is an awesome system and expect some play because word on the Changeling.

Officer on
    edited May 2007
    Me and my Changeling storyteller screen and my copies of The Book of Noble Houses and "Freeholds and Hidden Glens" are all doin just fine. 8-)

Clearly there needs to be an enormous WW geekout, with piles and piles of shiny, colorful d10s. Perhaps I will make signs for it, or just wear a badge that says "I love oWoD, ask me how!"

Geekouts ftw!

Gah there needs to be more time at pax. between events, sealab, and gaming, I think I am going to have to cut out eating and sleeping to make enough time.

BrokenAngel on
    edited May 2007

Geekouts ftw!

Gah there needs to be more time at pax. between events, sealab, and gaming, I think I am going to have to cut out eating and sleeping to make enough time.

Not to mention bathroom time, I'm afraid I may die the same way Tycho's namesake did.

Officer on
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    b0wser wrote: »
    I will be bringing some Lego, in the event someone else does the same. BrikWars was awesome last year, so it'd be nice to play again this year.
    FUCK. YES.

Were you the guy playing with Rank and I last year? I remember we used some ruined town setup from a Warhammer game or something. Good times.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited June 2007
    HotSake wrote: »
    FUCK. YES.

Were you the guy playing with Rank and I last year? I remember we used some ruined town setup from a Warhammer game or something. Good times.

Oooou I wanna play legos too... Can I can I?

I promise not to try and frame you for murder this year HotSake. :P

BrokenAngel on
    edited June 2007
    FUCK. YES.

Yeah, I wanna play too. I promise not to try and have nearly everyone kill eachother... maybe

Officer on
    edited June 2007
    FUCK. YES.

...Elizabeth? Yew HOOOOOR! ;-)

Also, see you at Sealab.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
    edited June 2007
    FUCK. YES.

...Elizabeth? Yew HOOOOOR! ;-)

Also, see you at Sealab.

I sooooo hope he runs another larp-thing like that again this year, it was so damn fun.

And I better see you at sealab! it's where all the cool kids are gonna be :D

BrokenAngel on
    edited June 2007
    Right after PAX, Phil had plans for an enormous RPG/Assassin game with hundreds of players, different classes, objectives, all kinds of crazy shit. I helped out for a little bit before it fell off my radar. Let me see if I can dig up the wiki. Something tells me it's not happening or he'd be advertising it.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
This discussion has been closed.