As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

52 Thread: The Final Weeks

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I think he means how Skeets killed his great-great-great-great etc. Grandpa.

Golly, doesn't that Rip Hunter sure seem familiar? All time-displaced and with a secret identity unknown to anybody? Yep, I wonder who that could be.
    I did not even think of that.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been using threads on here to catch up with 52, since I stopped reading comics about halfway through it. I'm glad to hear the real Booster is alive. But who is Tom? My friend loves Wildcat, and I'm afraid I'm going to have bad news to break to him...

Also, is Montoya the new Question, or officially the Answer?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been using threads on here to catch up with 52, since I stopped reading comics about halfway through it. I'm glad to hear the real Booster is alive. But who is Tom? My friend loves Wildcat, and I'm afraid I'm going to have bad news to break to him...

Also, is Montoya the new Question, or officially the Answer?

Read:
    Wildcat
    Name: Ted Grant
    First Appearance: Sensation Comics #1 (1942)
    Powers: Ass-kicking. And, at one time, nine lives.
    Legacy: He’s the original super to bear the name.
    Key Story: JSA #10, wherein Ted lays a beating on the Injustice Society by himself.

A former prize fighter and the trainer of many heroes (Batman, Black Canary and Catwoman among them), Ted is the brawler and ladies’ man of the original team. He professes a hate/hate relationship with Power Girl, but it belies a deep affection. Ted recently learned that he has a son, Tom Bronson.

Geoff Johns Says: The man who didn’t want to be a father is going to start being one, all in his own special way. And that includes going one-on-one with his son in Justice Society of America #7.

Wildcat III
    Name: Tom Bronson
    First Appearance: Justice Society of America #1 (late 2006)
    Powers: Tom can transform into a were-panther. Neat, eh?
    Legacy: He’s the son of Ted Grant. The second Wildcat, Yolanda Montez, took over as Wildcat II after Ted was wounded in COIE. Unfortunately, she was killed, along with Dr. Midnight/Mid-Nite II, due to the machinations of Eclipso. Technically, there was already a third Wildcat, Hector Ramirez, though he only appeared one time and died; he was never officially recognized as a carrier of the name. (For the curious, that was in Batman/Wildcat from ’97).

We just met Tom, but he seems like a good kid. Throughout his life, he’s avoided conflict because he was afraid what he might do to someone with his powers. Though he grew up without a relationship with his father (who only recently learned of his existence), Tom appears to have no overwhelming issues with his pop and teams up with him against Vandal Savage. Tom is introduced to the JSoA by his dad, who insists that in a world with multiple Flashes and Green Lanterns, there can be two Wildcats.

Geoff Johns Says: Hell, yes there can be two Wildcats. And Tommy isn’t coming in to replace Ted, he’s coming in to help Ted grow. The banter between them is the most fun to write next to Starman.

And now that we’ve finished dealing with the roster, how about a few wrap-up questions? Mr. Johns, if you please . . .

In summary, Tom isn't replacing Ted at all.

As for the Montoya question (pun completely unintended), she hasn't been called either name yet but it can probably be guessed that she'll be called The Question. It'll probably be answered in 52 #52 (again, pun totally unintended).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So he's a werecat? Ugh. But I'm glad Ted is around still.

And in the first few issues of 52, they kept using the phrase 'the answer' around Montoya. So, I guess we'll see...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    So he's a werecat? Ugh. But I'm glad Ted is around still.

Way to complain about something you haven't even read, retard.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I don't have to read something to know it's shitter than Ted Grant.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    To be fair, most things are shitter than Ted Grant.

And a guy like that is bound to have an illegitimate kid or two, if not enough to start their own society or league.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Say one more stupid thing and you've pulled the trifecta.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote: »

It's funny because you're saying it.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    I think he means how Skeets killed his great-great-great-great etc. Grandpa.

Golly, doesn't that Rip Hunter sure seem familiar? All time-displaced and with a secret identity unknown to anybody? Yep, I wonder who that could be.
    I did not even think of that.

Rip Hunter is Booster's son.

Nobody knows when/where he was born because he born in the timestream. Making his past nearly impossible to track

Also, time displaced guy = Booster.

They are gonna get Zatanna to wipe his memory then leave him in the future.

Algertman on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was pretty sure that the skeleton that Rip swapped Booster out with was just a future-Booster.

So Booster knows how he's going to die, and when, but now how long he has to live before it happens...

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Terrorbyte wrote: »

It's funny because you're saying it.

Terrorbyte has a point though, if you aren't reading it, then why bother?

But hey, let's all put our genitles away and go back to normal, huh?

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I honestly don't care. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Wildcat myself (pretty awesome in New Frontier, but other than that...) but Terrorbyte commenting on someone else's stupid post (and yes, it was kinda stupid) is still amusing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I honestly don't care. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Wildcat myself (pretty awesome in New Frontier, but other than that...) but Terrorbyte commenting on someone else's stupid post (and yes, it was kinda stupid) is still amusing.

Essentially, saying things like that only eggs someone on to be a dick.

:rotate:

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I didn't even say I hate the character or hate the idea or anything. Just went 'ugh.' I simply think having Wildcat's son just conveniently turn into a cat is a bit cringe-worthy. It'd be like having Batman's son be a werebat.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It'd be like having Batman's son be a werebat.

Grant Morrisons next Batman arc?

Maybe.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh by the way, that cover would be more excellent if they had 3 heroes' stuff instead of just two.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh by the way, that cover would be more excellent if they had 3 heroes' stuff instead of just two.

They have Question's hat, Ralph's stuff, and Isis's headband

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't even say I hate the character or hate the idea or anything. Just went 'ugh.' I simply think having Wildcat's son just conveniently turn into a cat is a bit cringe-worthy. It'd be like having Batman's son be a werebat.

We accept sillier things as making perfect sense in comics.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I really like how the 52nd cover is a derivative of the week 1 cover. The Golden Circle, if you will.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »

And if you're going to blame anyone, blame Alex Ross and Kingdom Come for creating the basis for the character in the first place.

If Wildcat II had been a normal human, they'd have still used him in JSA.

All JSA is responsible for is characterization.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

And if you're going to blame anyone, blame Alex Ross and Kingdom Come for creating the basis for the character in the first place.

All JSofA is responsible for is characterization.

The second Wildcat was a human.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

And ethnic.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »

And ethnic.

And with vergina.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Fine, Wildcat III then.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here we go. Spoilers for the last issue finally popped up. For those who can't stand the wait, just click on the button.
    Welcome to my last Spoilers for 52, and I hope that you have enjoyed the ride and appreciate all the hard work that DC has done to provide us with such a ride and in a timely fashion week after week. Before I begin I would like to ask that we keep the conversations generated from these Spoilers to this thread until tomorrow, Wednesday, when the book comes out and is available as some readers do not want to have their reading of 52 Spoiled and my intent is to provide Spoiler ONLY to those that want Spoilers. It is also my hopes that the Spoilers will inspire you to buy the book if you are not already doing so as my Spoilers are just words and there is a lot more to a comic book than just words and the Spoilers can not replace the hard work that the art staff for 52 has provided nor replace the writing of the book itself.

So, let’s all give Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka, Mark Waid, Keith Giffen, J.G. Jones, Alex Sinclair, Stephen Wacker, Michael Siglain, Dan Didio and all of those not mentioned a hand for a job well done. Thank you all.

52 Week 52

A Year in the Life

Written by Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid.
    Art Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
    Pencils by Mike McKone, Justiniano, Eddy Barrows, Chris Batista, Pat Olliffe and Darick Robertson

Week 0, Day 0
    Rip, Booster, the head of Red Tornado and the remains of Skeets are traveling in time to a year ago when the Multiverse was created. Rip explains to Booster that when all of the Earths collapsed back into one another after “Conner Kent sacrificed his life to save our reality” creating New Earth that “in a cosmic act of self-preservation, as you just saw, it began replicating”. There are 52 identical Earths in 52 identical cosmos all occupying the same space and each on their own vibrational plane. What Red Tornado saw was the same thing that Rip had seen being the creation of the multiverse and his computer brain had mapped it.

A giant Mr. Mind appears behind the Time Sphere. He tells Rip and Booster that he will be the dominant life form not only on Earth but on all Earths. Mr. Mind then regurgitates the Phantom Zone towards the Time Sphere looking to trap Rip and Booster in the Phantom Zone. Supernova then appears and is hit with the blast, from Mr. Mind saving the Time Sphere. Rip then turns to Booster and informs him that the technology in the Supernova suit is able to deflect and restore the Phantom Zone to its proper dimensional plane. When questioned by Booster about Supernova, Rip tells him – and Supernova takes off his mask – that it is his ancestor Daniel Carter in the suit. Rip explains to Booster how Daniel got imprisoned in “endless time loop of 52 seconds stolen from Earth’s timeline” and that he moved the time loop into the time stream in which they are at. Rip also informs Booster that he gave Daniel the Supernova suit because “it’s keyed to the Carter genetic code”. Mr. Mind then starts to alter his vibrational frequency to try and tear the Time Sphere apart. Rip has Red Tornado match Mr. Mind’s frequency for an Earth jump which ends up taking the Time Sphere and Mr. Mind to Earth 17. Upon their arrival Mr. Mind starts “eating years and events from this universe’s history altering the Earth. Red Tornado makes another Earth jump leaving the present Metropolis in shambles with knights riding on big dog like creatures.

Next they arrive at Earth 3 and spot the JLA. Mr. Mind starts eating and altering events causing the creation of the Crime Society. Earth 10 is shown with the Freedom Fighters, Earth 50 is the Wildstorm Universe, Earth 5 is the Marvel Universe, Earth 22 is the Kingdom Come universe, Earth 2 is Earth 2 and Earth 4 is the Charleston universe.

Rip then informs Daniel and Booster that they need to trap Mr. Mind because if he spawns where they are at that “Hyperflies will devour the consciousness of every living thing, and leave all of creation to rot in mindless darkness forever.” Booster then starts to doubt himself and what he can do when what little is left of Skeets tells him that he has “the utmost faith in” you. Booster quickly pulls himself together and grabs a hold of Skeets and tells Rip “One thing I do know is where to find the kind of energy source we need” and then jumps in time. Once Booster is gone, Rip finishes gearing up and jumps in time himself.

Booster makes his arrive on New Earth the day after the first Crisis. He appears behind Blue Beetle looking for his amulet in the debris of some ruined buildings. Booster tells Beetle that he bets “it turns up just where you least expect it”. When Beetle turns back around Booster is gone.

At the house of the Sivana Family, Sivana is gathering his family together to get into the Suspendium Globe to save them from what Sivana suspects will happen. Rip then appears and shoots Sivana in the leg and takes off with the Suspendium Globe himself.

Both Rip and Booster arrive back at the Time Sphere. Rip uses the Suspendium Globe to attract the Hyperflies as “artificial time. This stuff works like crack cocaine on a hyperfly”. Rip and Booster then use the Beetle Amulet to give the Supernova suit an extra power source to get Mr. Mind’s attention by creating a giant flash and then they disappear.

The Time Sphere returns to Rip’s lab at which time Rip starts to work on Skeets. Mr. Mind then makes his presence but he is much smaller upon his arrival starts to grow. Rip hands Skeets to Booster and tells him that he has reinforced his shell with Suspendium to help imprison him. Booster jumps towards Mr. Mind with Skeets half opened and slams Skeets closed with Mr. Mind trapped inside. Rip tells Booster that “The faster and harder it moves against the Time Stream, the more Chronal Energy the Suspendium will pick up. Move it with enough force and it becomes the only thing that can save the Multiverse…a Time Bomb that will end the threat of Mr. Mind”. Booster takes Skeets and throws him into the open hole in time telling Daniel to go long. Daniel/Supernova jumps in after it and heads back in time; “Danny, Rip’s calculated the exact time and place Mind has to end up! While passing Week 2 Day 1 it is shown where Mr. Mind entered Skeets in Magnus’ lab. Supernova continues back and grabs a hold of Skeets and spikes him into the ground in the desert on Week 1 Day 1.

Having heard the noise of the “Time Bomb”, Sivana goes to see what it was. As he approaches the crater of the explosion, Sivana notices Mr. Mind and picks him places him in a sealed tube.

Supernova then pops back out through the time hole and into Rip’s lab. Rip tells Daniel and Booster that no one can know what happened.
    Booster: Hell with that. Modesty’s for the forgotten. I’m gonna make damn sure that everyone knows who rescued their asses.
    Rip: Is there not enough credit in all of time and space to make you happy? Will you not rest until history finally recognizes that Booster Gold saved the---
    Booster: Not me. Skeets. It’s not fair. He ought to be remembered. He was my best friend.
    Rip: Is. While I was reinforcing him with Suspendium, I copied his mem-self into a leftover responsometer. Its crude—but we both know who can do the full restoration.
    Rip Booster and Supernova then get into the Time Sphere and enter the Time Stream showing off the Multiverse and its different worlds.

Week 52, Day 6
    Checkmate HQ: A Task Force is proposed to the creation of capturing Teth-Amon
    Metropolis, Steelworks:
    Natasha: Did they say what happened to Infinity Inc? No one’s seen them…
    John: You ask me, Nat they’re long gone.
    Kahndaq: A hand is seen reaching down for the Amulet of Isis which is sitting in some flowers.
    Washington DC, Department of Metahuman Affairs: Nemesis and Agent Prince are in Sarge Steel’s office.
    Sarge: …they’re tagging him “the Most Wanted Mortal in the World”. Someone will find Black Adam but I pray that someone isn’t us.
    In an Arabic city you see a pair of legs with crocodile boots on.

Golden Rule Preschool, Sheffield Alabama: A huge fiery hole is in the center of a class room floor with the teacher showing two men a stack of pictures that all of her students drew just before the fiery hole happened. The spectral forms of Ralph and Sue are shown floating by the pit. Sue looks at Ralph and says “Honey, your nose is twitching…

Magnus’s House: Magnus is working on Skeets and tells Booster that before he fixed him, he had made a backup copy of his records and that he will remember everything except for the past year. Skeets is closes up and back to normal.

Week 52, Day 7
    Gotham City: A razor is shown scrapping off the question mark on the Bat-Signal and replaced with the Bat-symbol. The person fixing the Bat-Signal is shown to be Renee in the Question outfit.
    Meanwhile inside of Kate’s apartment, Kate is being visited by a doctor. She is told that she is recovering quickly but it will still take time. When asked if she remembers how she was stabbed or who brought her to the ER, Kate tells her “no”. The doctor leaves the apartment and when Kate closes the door her apartment lights up from the light of the Bat-signal. Kate looks out her window and sees Renee/Question standing by the Bat signal.
    Renee: I have a question. Are you ready?

THE END.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sshh, nobody speak, nobody say a word. We can all be surprised together on Wednesday.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ugggggh

what to do what to do

just checked them quickly to see if Kate was still alive

The Booster stuff is waiting until Wednesday

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The 52 action figures come out this Wednesday as well. It'll be a 52 day of all 52 days.

Ha ha! 52!!!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It took me until now to realize that 52 #52 is coming out on 5/2.

Yes I am stupid.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    I read the spoilers. It's pretty good. A bit confusing without pictures.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I refuse to read spoilers. I will read it saturday.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »

Yeah, this is pretty much why I stopped skimming the spoilers months and months and months ago. The dude who pens 'em is definitely an ESL duder and it just ruins the reading experience of the spoiled issue.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Htown wrote: »
    It took me until now to realize that 52 #52 is coming out on 5/2.

Yes I am stupid.

MADNESS! D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I read the spoilers, and I have three words.

Booster Fucking Gold.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I recall the writers saying that Morrison had to explain the ending to the rest of them several times before they got it. Is it that confusing?

Munch on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I recall the writers saying that Morrison had to explain the ending to the rest of them several times before they got it. Is it that confusing?

No, it's just the guy is describing stuff and it's just hard to follow without pictures

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I read the spoilers and all I can say is

HI FUCKING 5 DC!
    Marvel Universe=Earth 5

eryu90 on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    eryu90 wrote: »

HI FUCKING 5 DC!
    Marvel Universe=Earth 5
    I really wonder how they're going to pull that off.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    eryu90 wrote: »

HI FUCKING 5 DC!
    Marvel Universe=Earth 5
    I really wonder how they're going to pull that off.

Maybe it means Captain Marvel.

Bloods End on