As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tales of the Old [Westerns]

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What constant double crossing plot in "For a Few Dollars More"?

And you're saying that TGTBATU, the 3 hour film, is better paced?

Are you sure you don't have them mixed up?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    The characters in TGTBATU aren't two-dimensional. The most obvious example is Tucco: he's a glorious creation.

Bogart on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goumindong wrote: »
    What constant double crossing plot in "For a Few Dollars More"?
    Eastwood and Van Cleef's constant "we're friends-no-we're-not" act.
    And you're saying that TGTBATU, the 3 hour film, is better paced?
    Pace has nothing to do with length, and erverything to do with directing, editing and structure.

TGTBATU is better on all counts.

Xagarath on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Eastwood and Van Cleef's constant "we're friends-no-we're-not" act.
    Only exists in your mind. Their relationship as rivals who are on the same side is clear from the outset.
    Pace has nothing to do with length, and erverything to do with directing, editing and structure.
    If you don't think that pace has anything to do with length then you're foolish. And the structure et all are better in FAFDM
    The most obvious example is Tucco: he's a glorious creation.
    Gloriously one dimensional

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited June 2010
    Oh hogwash. Tucco is a greedy illiterate swine but he's also funny, lethal, has the scene with his brother at the monastery to humanise him a little, and runs through the gamut of emotions from scared to angry to ingratiating to vengeful and so forth. He's pretty clearly not one-dimensional.

Bogart on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty much all the characters in all the Dollars films are fairly shallow. Why is that point even being argued?
    And the structure et all are better in FAFDM
    Nonsense.
    The film veers all over the place. Compared to the coherent, careful buildup of TGTBATU, it's a mess.

Xagarath on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm starting Hidalgo. I know it's not exactly a western, because of it's setting, but it still applies to me.

It's not much of a film.

I enjoyed it. For the second time. It's about one important aspect of western life that gets overlooked by most films, the relationship between a man and his horse. Most westerns just treat them the way Grand Theft Auto treats cars. As a matter of fact, it has more in the way of a character arc for the main character than most westerns do.

Tonight, it's Jeremiah Johnson. Then Wyatt Earp tomorrow, then Lonesome Dove until it's finished, and no new movies until I finish that one.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Length factors into pacing but saying that it is the primary factor is a lie

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I need some schooling on Spaghetti Westerns. I'm completely familiar with Sergio Leone, but beyond that, I know next to nothing. This thread has given me a few other ideas on where to go next (Django, My Name is Nobody, They Call Me Trinity), but I'd like some more ideas about what non-Leone ones are considered "essential".

Captain Tragedy on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if there are that many, honestly.

Leone had a vision that set him apart, but "Spaghetti Western" originally entered the lexicon as a derogatory term because most of them were cheap and shitty. Recycled plots, lots of stock footage, bad acting, bad editing, bad dubbing...I am sure there are some non-Leone gems but I think it's one of those things where the diminishing returns kick in really fast.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    I don't know if there are that many, honestly.

Leone had a vision that set him apart, but "Spaghetti Western" originally entered the lexicon as a derogatory term because most of them were cheap and shitty. Recycled plots, lots of stock footage, bad acting, bad editing, bad dubbing...I am sure there are some non-Leone gems but I think it's one of those things where the diminishing returns kick in really fast.

Sergio Corbucci did some really good ones, including Django and Compañeros. Gianfranco Parolini's Sabata series is pretty good. Enzo Barboni did the Trinity films. The Spaghetti Western fragmented into a lot of sub-genres pretty quickly. The Zapata Western and the Comedy Spaghetti Westerns were both pretty popular.

Thomamelas on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Some of you may have noticed that the OP is pretty lacking when it comes to pre-Stagecoach Westerns. And that's mostly because a lot of the important silent film era Westerns have been lost to us. Well recently a cache of silent films has been discovered in New Zealand. This includes John Ford's first films and a load of other Westerns, including The Better Man and The Sargent.

NFPF website also has Hell's Hinges which I previously added to the OP.

Thomamelas on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't watch many movies, but I enjoy Westerns. I need to see Once Upon a Time in the West, even more so after that trailer thing with the shootout at the train station. The last Western I watched was Hang Em High, sort of the turning point in Eastwood's American Westerns. He's got the stiff brim hat and the pressed shirt, but there is an anti-authority vibe going on.

I'm a big fan of the Eastwood westerns, and the Eastwood/Leone movies, I have not watched a lot of John Wayne movies.

I want to try some of the Ford/Wayne movies. I did see the Shootist about a year ago, that was a good movie. Kind of cheesy/sappy in parts, especially with the blonde guy hero worshiping Wayne's character, but I guess that was kind of the point.

Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game. Great dialog, great characters, some awesome action scenes, just a great thing.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Man, I just don't understand how people love Once Upon a Time in the West. I mean, I loved the Dollar's trilogy and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my #1 favorite film of all time. But I can't stand Once Upon a Time.

On a side note, The Good, The Bad, and the Wierd is a great tribute movie. Just plain goofy fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVJEncQfN4&feature=related

This is goofy as heck. This scene really stretches believability. I mean this guy with a lever action rifle is demolishing a huge amount of soldiers. What's the rest of the movie like?

Also, I read there have been a couple different "prints" of Tears of the Black Tiger. From what I have seen, the colors are absolutely over the top lurid in this, and one of the prints supposedly has a bad palette. Is this the good version? Anyone know?

edit-- the reviews say it is inferior to the thai release, which doesn't seem to be available for region 1. Sigh.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    Man, I just don't understand how people love Once Upon a Time in the West. I mean, I loved the Dollar's trilogy and the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is my #1 favorite film of all time. But I can't stand Once Upon a Time.

On a side note, The Good, The Bad, and the Wierd is a great tribute movie. Just plain goofy fun.

This is goofy as heck. This scene really stretches believability. I mean this guy with a lever action rifle is demolishing a huge amount of soldiers. What's the rest of the movie like?

Also, I read there have been a couple different "prints" of Tears of the Black Tiger. From what I have seen, the colors are absolutely over the top lurid in this, and one of the prints supposedly has a bad palette. Is this the good version? Anyone know?

edit-- the reviews say it is inferior to the thai release, which doesn't seem to be available for region 1. Sigh.

I love the twirl he does to work the lever action on his rifle. It's a nice call back to Wayne in True Grit and Stagecoach.

Thomamelas on
    edited June 2010
    Red Dead Redemption renewed my interest in Westerns. During the "lead-up" hype stage, IGN did a list of the top 25 Westerns. More Westerns to consider.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    Red Dead Redemption renewed my interest in Westerns. During the "lead-up" hype stage, IGN did a list of the top 25 Westerns. More Westerns to consider.

That's a really weird list. There are some good inclusions like Little Big Man and it has some weird choices like Silverado and Tombstone which feel like they make that list solely because the readers will know them.

Thomamelas on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I love the twirl he does to work the lever action on his rifle. It's a nice call back to Wayne in True Grit and Stagecoach.

The ending was dumb, but the movie was over all great.

DanHibiki on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm working my way through the man with no name trilogy, and I don't get the love for A Few More Dollars. I haven't watched The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly yet.

More Dollars, compared to Fistful of Dollars, is just kind of meh. The plot seems to wander around quite a bit without going anywhere until halfway through the film. Van Cleef's character is somewhat interesting, but the he and the villain steal a lot of time from Clint, whose character I enjoyed immensely in Fistful. In A Few More Dollars, Clint doesn't really show the slick intelligence displayed in Fistful of Dollars. They do a lot to contrast him with the more experienced Van Cleef, and it costs Clint the character he had in Fistful of Dollars, or so it seems. Also using the same actor for the villain in A Few More Dollars was really lame and I spent the first couple minutes wondering how that guy got better after being shot so many times, until realizing that it was in fact supposed to be a different character.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited June 2010

That's a really weird list. There are some good inclusions like Little Big Man and it has some weird choices like Silverado and Tombstone which feel like they make that list solely because the readers will know them.

Or the list maker(s?) could have different tastes. A bad movie is a bad movie, but those movies all seem pretty good. I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw of the new 310 to Yuma, it felt drawn-out and there was too much posturing and posing, even for a Western. Something was off about it, I am not sure what it was. When Clint Eastwood, or Charles Bronson or Lee Van Cleef are in a close-up or whatever in one of the classics, it feels right. When Christian Bale and Russel Crowe do almost the same thing in 310, it felt drawn out.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010

Or the list maker(s?) could have different tastes. A bad movie is a bad movie, but those movies all seem pretty good. I wasn't particularly impressed with what I saw of the new 310 to Yuma, it felt drawn-out and there was too much posturing and posing, even for a Western. Something was off about it, I am not sure what it was. When Clint Eastwood, or Charles Bronson or Lee Van Cleef are in a close-up or whatever in one of the classics, it feels right. When Christian Bale and Russel Crowe do almost the same thing in 310, it felt drawn out.

If the listmaker really thinks Tombstone is in the 25 Westerns then they are an idiot. It's a so-so movie that lacks any of the mythology that the Western builds on. It's influance has been zero. The only reason people add it to a list is because it's one of the few more modern westerns, so they've seen it.

Thomamelas on
    edited June 2010
    It has dudes with mustaches wearing big hats shooting other dudes who also have mustaches and big hats. I thought it was a decent enough movie when I saw it 10 years ago.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    It has dudes with mustaches wearing big hats shooting other dudes who also have mustaches and big hats. I thought it was a decent enough movie when I saw it 10 years ago.

It's not horrible. I'm not calling it a pile of steaming excrement, but it's not a movie that makes a 25 best list for a genre. It's an okay Western, but it suffers from a lack of mythology.

Thomamelas on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's not horrible. I'm not calling it a pile of steaming excrement, but it's not a movie that makes a 25 best list for a genre. It's an okay Western, but it suffers from a lack of mythology.

It's not a list of the most influential, it's a list of their favorites.

Cabezone on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

Jesus christ, just because it's an old western doesn't mean it should feel more "correct". It seems like the main reason people on these forums don't like that movie is because it's a remake and it's new. When it comes down to it the only problems it really has is the luke wilson scene, everything else is solid. It almost has a 90% on rottentomatoes so I know most people agree with me on this. I would like to see one really thought out detailed reason for it not being a solid movie.

The Proposition and Jesse James missing from that list is absurd though.

Urian on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If the listmaker really thinks Tombstone is in the 25 Westerns then they are an idiot. It's a so-so movie that lacks any of the mythology that the Western builds on. It's influance has been zero. The only reason people add it to a list is because it's one of the few more modern westerns, so they've seen it.

I'll forgive them for Tombstone for including The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Salvation122 on
    edited June 2010

I'll forgive them for Tombstone for including The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

That's the weird thing about that list is that it does have some of the great movies. Just includes two really odd choices.

Thomamelas on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just watched Rio Bravo. A pretty slow film but I liked it, it was funny and a dude called Dude shot a gun out of another dude's hand. And it made me think of the region called Rio Bravo in Red Dead.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited June 2010
    Rio Bravo is a fucking great movie. It was remade pretty damn succesfully as El Dorado by the same director with Bob Mitchum taking on Dean martin's role with a few more jokes.

Bogart on
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Rio Bravo is a fucking great movie. It was remade pretty damn succesfully as El Dorado by the same director with Bob Mitchum taking on Dean martin's role with a few more jokes.

Dean Martin is pretty underrated. The opening part where Martin is going for the silver dollar is almost heart breaking.

Thomamelas on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I love Rio Bravo. It's a very crowdpleasing sort of movie in the best possible sense of the word. It's something where I could sit on the couch with my dad and granddad and put the movie on and everyone would enjoy it.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My mum fell asleep during it. Philistine.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I lied. I bought the original 3:10 to Yuma and Destry Rides Again. Destry was actually pretty good. I think I would have preferred more of a showdown between Stewart and the bad guy. But it was a good film. I'm just starting on 3:10 to Yuma. I still haven't watched Jeremiah Johnson or Lonesome Dove.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Great OP, thanks for this list. I've seen quite a few of those, but I'll be sure and dig into some of the others.

My favorite Spaghetti Western is Death Rides a Horse. It's just cheap fun and I love John Philip Law in it. I wish he was in more movies.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I lied. I bought the original 3:10 to Yuma and Destry Rides Again. Destry was actually pretty good. I think I would have preferred more of a showdown between Stewart and the bad guy. But it was a good film. I'm just starting on 3:10 to Yuma. I still haven't watched Jeremiah Johnson or Lonesome Dove.

I really love Glen Ford in the original 3:10 to Yuma. His shooting of his man to kill the stagecoach driver gives us a glimpse of his ruthlessness and then he spend the rest of the movie offering temptation to everyone. He's so charming that you wanna like him even as you realize the man is the devil.

Thomamelas on
    edited June 2010
    So I finished watching The Misfits tonight. It has Marylin Monroe, Clark Gable, Montgomery Clift and Eli Wallach. It was the last film for both Monroe and Gable, which is a shame because the two of them had a wonderful chemistry. The Misfits is one of the "modern" westerns in that it was set in the time current to the filming, and it really is the story of the last of the cowboys, their resistance to giving up their freedom and the damage it's inflicted upon them along the way.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Misfits/60000725?trkid=1211018

Thomamelas on
    edited June 2010
    Urian wrote: »

Jesus christ, just because it's an old western doesn't mean it should feel more "correct". It seems like the main reason people on these forums don't like that movie is because it's a remake and it's new. When it comes down to it the only problems it really has is the luke wilson scene, everything else is solid. It almost has a 90% on rottentomatoes so I know most people agree with me on this. I would like to see one really thought out detailed reason for it not being a solid movie.

The Proposition and Jesse James missing from that list is absurd though.

It kind of felt like the all the posing in the new 310 was wasting time.

This thread prompted me to make a new Amazon wishlist. :)

DouglasDanger on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With regards to old Westerns, what are people's view on Mackenna's Gold?

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    edited June 2010

I really love Glen Ford in the original 3:10 to Yuma. His shooting of his man to kill the stagecoach driver gives us a glimpse of his ruthlessness and then he spend the rest of the movie offering temptation to everyone. He's so charming that you wanna like him even as you realize the man is the devil.

The only bad guy to
    die by the hero's hand in this version was the second in command who killed the town drunk by shooting him in the back. That almost makes karmic sense. There actually is an argument that the coach driver drew first so that was self-defense.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Wyatt Earp is kind of boring. I've only been able to watch 30 minutes at a time. Every time he starts talking to a woman, I want to fall asleep.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg