As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Yordles! Come play, it's FREE!

• jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    i felt i had to transcribe what these two guys complained about olaf

enemy olaf 1v2 double kill, first blood + second blood within 90 seconds

they continued this trend every time they died to him. which was umm... very often

during the "second blood" after pantheon had given first blood to olaf, i watched the katarina, who had 1 bar and was running towards the tower, run back away from the tower range to the olaf who had 5 bars

and attempt to attack him

It's pretty common for new heroes, simply because most players don't bother to even read what the hero's skills are before playing against him. Much less pre-contemplate counters and such. Instead they just get facerolled and then complain about OP.

But that Kat definitely takes home the prize. I wouldn't try that with Kat against Soraka (the least-DPS-y champion I can think of), much less Olaf.

jdmichal on
    XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Erin6641 wrote: »
    People need to stop Ashe bashing. First of all, she is a little underpowered as far as top tier goes. Her damage output leaves a lot to be desired! If she didn't have slow / god arrow, she'd be useless. (And with all the move tech on most top tier hero's, the slow rarely nets you a kill anymore like it did in beta).

Wut?

You're making Ashe sound pretty crappy. Ashe is still a top tier champion because of her slow / god arrow. Any exclusion of two abilities would make any champion pretty useless, let alone one being an ultimate. Her lane control is right up there with Volley and slow.

Not having to buy an item that slows is pretty huge. All your earned cash goes into damage.

I don't think you have played any underpowered champions.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    plus ashe can carry so hard when farmed up because she is such a right click champion (not that that's bad, just the truth) with her frost arrows

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wut?

You're making Ashe sound pretty crappy. Ashe is still a top tier champion because of her slow / god arrow. Any exclusion of two abilities would make any champion pretty useless, let alone one being an ultimate. Her lane control is right up there with Volley and slow.

I don't think you have played any underpowered champions.

I think she was actually responding to people crying about Volley, there was some bitching about it in games lastnight. Without volley she would definitely need something else to be viable. Erin wouldn't play Ashe if she was underpowered :P

That being said, while a good ashe is a great team player, I think her carrying ability and laning presence are overrated. She is a great support hero, with a decent laneing presence, but there's a lot of champs who can hold a lane better in the current meta.

Nisi on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ashe never seemed to me to be low damage. every "carry ashe" i've ever seen farms straight to infinity edge and immediately starts ripping people. and you simply can't run away because of the frost arrows. probably the most frustrating thing in the world.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited June 2010
    nealcm wrote: »
    ashe never seemed to me to be low damage. every "carry ashe" i've ever seen farms straight to infinity edge and immediately starts ripping people. and you simply can't run away because of the frost arrows. probably the most frustrating thing in the world.

This just hasn't been my experience in decent games with good team coordination. Yes pugging maybe? I dunno. Against a decent team Ashe cannot carry without a significant amount of support. There are much better options as far as carries go.

Nisi on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A good Ashe will get Brutalizer, Catalyst, and BFSword and rip you a new one with constant volleys and top tier lane presence. I don't see how anyone could call her lane presence overrated!

She is no Corki carry in terms of raw DPS though, so don't think about it like that.

4rch3nemy on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know if Ashe is ever the greatest carry but I know i've seen people that just don't get killed as her. Most melee characters will have a lot of trouble with her early game.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited June 2010
    I don't think its easy for any carry to dominate without good support. Maybe pre-nerf nidalee, pre-nerf udyr, ezreal and tf. Plausible but its not like you 1v5 and come out a winner all the time

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    edited June 2010
    I will just have to disagree with you all. Ashe gives me no trouble as Annie, she is easily disabled and dps'd down.

I'm not saying Ashe can't do decent damage and support, she is a good viable champion, I just think carry Ashe rarely works in higher level play. <3 Erin's arrows.

Nisi on
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    comparing apples to oranges here

annie is just

ANNIE

respect the tibbers

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited June 2010
    Not really, I am using my claim that Annie will beat Ashe to back my claim that there are champions with a stronger laning presence than Ashe. Annie is not the only one. Cho, Morde, Kat, can all stand up to Ashe's laning presence, there's probably others but that is off the top of my head. I know I love laning against Ashe with Kat and making her beg :mrgreen:

Nisi on
  • ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nisi wrote: »
    Every time I choose cleanse I always feel I made a good choice.

I remember coming here and complaining about ignite and someone suggested Cleanse. It has pretty much been a stable SSpell for me since then. There's just so much crap it can save you from (though no ult in the game is countered as much by it as Mord's).

What's recommended for Kayle now? Seems to me that hybrid is the way too go now (triforce perhaps?).

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2010
    Ashe is, in my experience, almost the definition of a glass cannon for these games. She can be strong and completely blow the shit out of you. But the second you get to her and start laying down the damage, she just falls apart. She has nothing built in to protect for that, since even her ult is a pretty weak stun at short distance.

jdmichal on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ashe is a good character, but she has three problems which many people think keep her from top tier:

1) She's more item dependent than the other ranged carries, who have better tricks than her slow. (Which as Erin notes, isn't that great against the dozens of new heroes with annoying-as-fuck escape mechanisms.) See Tristana's range and attack speed buffs that she gains on level, Corki's armor shredding passive and active, TF's stun and stacked deck, etc. Ashe pretty much needs to farm an infinity edge before she can be a legitimate DPS threat -- til she gets that, most other carries can beat her 1v1, assuming no ultimate or exhausting shenanigans.

2) Her passive is kind of crappy outside the laning phase, especially now that mid-to-late game harassment has gone by the wayside with all the healing champions becoming so ubiquitous. Her Plentiful Bounty ability is absolute rubbish -- Twisted Fate's new passive is much better for getting an early game farming advantage, and he has that at level 1.

3) Unlike pretty much every other ranged carry, she has no escape mechanism, outside blowing her ultimate to stun one guy. This makes her comparatively easy to kill.

I think the addition of that new Hawkshot ability will rocket her up to top tier, however. While she still won't be the best ranged DPS in the game, between Hawkshot and Crystal Arrow she'll have some of the best support capabilities of any DPS champ. Knowledge is power in this game, donchaknow.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited June 2010
    what boots should i get on kennen

so far i've been thinking i should go like ruby into haunting guise into rylai's

but what boots

also this is all me just thinking while i am unable to play because of work

undeinPirat on
    edited June 2010
    I always base boots on the enemy team comp/gear.

Nisi on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Haunting Guise stinks now that it doesn't have the spell vamp

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I think the addition of that new Hawkshot ability will rocket her up to top tier, however. While she still won't be the best ranged DPS in the game, between Hawkshot and Crystal Arrow she'll have some of the best support capabilities of any DPS champ. Knowledge is power in this game, donchaknow.

I was really disappointed that the Ashe changes didn't make it into this last patch for this very reason.

jdmichal on
    edited June 2010
    Haunting Guise stinks now that it doesn't have the spell vamp

I hear its bugged and its still there.

Annie wallpaper
    AnnieGoth1680X1050.jpg

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    what boots should i get on kennen

so far i've been thinking i should go like ruby into haunting guise into rylai's

but what boots

also this is all me just thinking while i am unable to play because of work

I prefer sorc shoes.

Haunting Guise isn't as good as it used to be without the spell vamp but Kennen's AP ratios leave a lot to be desired so I get that too for the magic penetration.

Slicer on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't wait to try Udyr and Janna this week. There are a bunch of champs free this week I want to try.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    no

no more lolis

PiptheFair on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mid Yi is the best

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey where did yi go "OH NOOOO HIGHLANDERED YI ON US WHEN WE'RE LEVEL 3"

Double kill!

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2010
    okay kennen is fun

but i need to not suck with him

doubtless this is due to me not spamming shurikens enough

undeinPirat on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kenne is hard as hell to play right, but man when he is

PiptheFair on
    edited June 2010
    i am also going to attribute me sucking to me playing mid

and i haven't played mid in soooo long and when i did it was always annie

so it was a bit different and i wasn't watching my minimap diligently enough (as if my team would give me mia calls in a matchmaking game) and got ganked in the laning phase and one other time when i just barely tiptoed past river and their singed flicked me into two other duders

i just need to be

better

undeinPirat on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've heard rumors of a shirtless manly axeman being available as a new champion.

Confirm/deny?

(Has the patch gone live and stuff? Can I buy him yet?)

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    yes patch is live with olaf

he is pretty dang good

undeinPirat on
  • FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kennen has an extremely good laning phase but by mid-late game he's terrible. His E skill is the only reliable way to put charges on more than one person and using it to do so will just end up getting you killed, which means his W skill is largely useless. Then his ult will probably just get you killed also and rarely does any killing of its own.

W harassment is great early on vs one or two people, but everything falls apart for him once you get to be a ranged dps with no tricks that don't get you killed.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
    edited June 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    Kennen has an extremely good laning phase but by mid-late game he's terrible. His E skill is the only reliable way to put charges on more than one person and using it to do so will just end up getting you killed, which means his W skill is largely useless. Then his ult will probably just get you killed also and rarely does any killing of its own.

W harassment is great early on vs one or two people, but everything falls apart for him once you get to be a ranged dps with no tricks that don't get you killed.

I looooveee killing Kennen as Garen end-game. He's so squishy and gets eaten up by Judgment and always seems to want to stand right next to me.

Melkster on
    edited June 2010
    yes patch is live with olaf

he is pretty dang good

As a rule I plan to own all the shirtless manly men. I've got pantheon, and now I need everyone else.

Melkster on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    first game as kennen was really a lot of fun. Such good harass capabilities. Shuriken is on a teeny tiny cooldown.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been playing mostly Kennen the last two weeks and found him not living up to my expectations. If he gets a nice start he can get rolling really nicely and like Annie you can get a surprise kill or two off with his ult. But like I mentioned earlier his general squishiness and the need to get very close to hit people with his moves can lead to a lot of deaths. Which is why I go tank spec and take cleanse with him.

That being said with some spell vamp Kennen can happily pop out of a lane to take out golem / dragon and is well equipped to escape ganks. He can last hit easily and harass with his shuriken and lightning and be really annoying.

That that being said I still get the nagging feeling that aside from having a slightly easier lane and harass, Udyr makes for a better stun / support / killer while being 5x more survivable.

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kennen just needs built in survivability like the other two ninjas, and an escape ability.

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    New Kayle is super awesome. I just went with her recommended items and got 7/3/12 my first game today.

I kept having to bail Kennen out of various shenanigans but it was fun.

BlueDestiny on
    edited June 2010
    The ability to stun at will is probably the biggest thing about Kennen. This is why you need to get at least one attack speed item to make good use of the passive on his W.

Late game, zhonya's is probably the best item to dive into teams. Otherwise, its really hard to do anything meaningful in teamfights with Kennen's ult if the enemy team is not locked down.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The ability to stun at will is probably the biggest thing about Kennen. This is why you need to get at least one attack speed item to make good use of the passive on his W.

Late game, zhonya's is probably the best item to dive into teams. Otherwise, its really hard to do anything meaningful in teamfights with Kennen's ult if the enemy team is not locked down.

rylai's can help with that!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rayofash wrote: »
    Could somebody fix up the OP? Maybe add a link to the main website in there and a few screenshots, maybe even a video of gameplay.

Edit: Is this game as moddable as WC3 is or are we stuck with whatever they give us?

of screenshots:
    1) I don't think a zoomed out pic looks good static
    B) The zoomed in screenshots to not actually give an adequate impression on what the game is about

video may not be a bad idea

if i linked the main page, then who would use my referral code?
    (also, thought it was linked in the title image)

5th) how dare you disparage the yordle

and, i see absolutely no modding in the future. they got their plate full with making the game as is work.

TyrantCow on