As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MOBA DOBA] League of Yordles! Come play, it's FREE!

• CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The above post contains many colors.

I have data to back this up.

Cognisseur on
  • Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    can we at least all agree that Tristana is the best ranged carry?

Butterfly Boy on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Everyone knows that the best ranged carry is Mundo

Peas on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peas wrote: »
    Everyone knows that the best ranged carry is Mundo

I did not know that... :(

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TC0Wi.jpg
    AD Ezreal is probably worse than AP Ezreal. Confirm/Deny?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    pancake_bunny.jpg

urquan doesn't use the preview feature on these forums. I have data to back this up.

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    pancake_bunny.jpg

Dunno, I went 19/3 with him previously tonight.

Triforce/Merc Treads/Guinsoo/Last Whisper/something

The buff to Mystic Shot is great. The nerf to heal, not so much. But it was a bit ridiculous to begin with. Ult still hits for a nice amount of damage.

Shamus on
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit Morgana's skin looks so much better now its crazy.

Butterfly Boy on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit Morgana's skin looks so much better now its crazy.

I'll believe it when I see data to back it up.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I've once soloed the enemy team as a fed Malphite in very low elo games... but I digress..

Mordekaiser can solo entire teams without being fed, given the right items and circumstances. Thornmail + Gunblade + Trinity Force = epic lulz. They do more damage to themselves than they do to you, you outheal and shield most of the damage you DO take, and then you make their strongest carry your pet, whereupon you enter godmode and hunt down everyone with your triforce and gunblade active.

Granted, it's pretty rare that I'm not hit by every ultimate, nuke, CC and Summoner Spell in a teamfight, since I tend to make myself a pretty high priority target. You only pull off crazy shit like that with Morde when people don't save all their abilities for the express purpose of killing you off first. (But then, this makes you a good tank.)

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • EvilsvilleEvilsville Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe I just started playing this amazing game.

I mostly did it cuz SC2 is gone and I was curious.

Right now, I'm maining Yi and doing okay. Sometimes I do well at the start and just get sick items to go to town on everyone, then sometimes I do awful and just get smashed on.

Do you guys have any tips for a new player? Only been playing for about 2 days.

Also, is Jax worth the five bucks or should I grind it out? Sitting at 1k IP atm.

And how is Shaco? SO MANY QUESTIONS

Evilsville on
    edited June 2010
    kill mans, buy items, kill nexus.

also get on pa vent and demand people play with you

Butterfly Boy on
  • ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skip level 2 runes. Spend your IP on level 1 runes and level 3 runes, that's the most cost effective.

Buy the combo packs, if you're going to spend any money. They're way cheaper than buying the heroes alone.

Rule #1-10 of LoL: don't die. Dying doesn't hurt just you, it hurts your entire team. And it doesn't just benefit your killer, it benifits his entire team. So no kamikaze bullshit.

Yi is what's known as a carry. He's low on HP and highly item dependent, which makes it even more important that you Not Die in order to farm up the gold to make him a killing machine.

Don't go into the high grass alone at the beginning of the game. If none of your opponents are on the mini-map, avoid high grass patches unless you know you have back-up.

Learn to watch your mini-map, being map aware is really key in this game.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
    edited June 2010
    moonman is like the fucking worst at updating the op

Butterfly Boy on
    edited June 2010
    I've gotten better at the not-dying thing, though sometimes I get greedy with towers...

I played a game earlier with a Yi that had something like 20 kills and 1 death (they won). I gotta learn to be like that, been getting a like 5/3 and the like

Evilsville on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, is Jax worth the five bucks or should I grind it out? Sitting at 1k IP atm.

IMO Jax is worth it. He's brutally strong in pub games, absolutely brutal. If you practice, you should be able to carry your team to victory frequently. Plus you can save your IP for runes, which can get 'spensive :(

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evilsville wrote: »
    I've gotten better at the not-dying thing, though sometimes I get greedy with towers...

I played a game earlier with a Yi that had something like 20 kills and 1 death (they won). I gotta learn to be like that, been getting a like 5/3 and the like

How to win as Yi (by Zen the Terrible):

Have Cleanse
    Get Armor Pen items
    Run the fuck away from groups of people

With armor pen runes, masteries, and a ghostblade, you have 56 armor pen and will do full damage to most squishy heroes! Which means if you pop Highlander and Wuju style, you'll likely be averaging 400 damage a hit on squishy (see: non hp/armor carrying) heroes. Watch as Veigar dies in three swings! Then, pop highlander again and kill the whole team!

Edit: If you want to play a physical carry that takes more skill than Jax (as in, actually knowing what the fuck is going on and not having 3.4k HP as a crutch) play Yi for 450 ip. You'll learn some things very, very fast that Jax cannot teach you as well:

When to join a team fight and when to watch your teammates die

When to back door when said horrible team fight is happening

When to run the fuck away from things (Yi is squishy. Yi is a giant glass cannon)

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2010
    rule #11: disregard everything zen says he is awful

Butterfly Boy on
    edited June 2010

How to win as Yi (by Zen the Terrible):

Have Cleanse
    Get Armor Pen items
    Run the fuck away from groups of people

With armor pen runes, masteries, and a ghostblade, you have 56 armor pen and will do full damage to most squishy heroes! Which means if you pop Highlander and Wuju style, you'll likely be averaging 400 damage a hit on squishy (see: non hp/armor carrying) heroes. Watch as Veigar dies in three swings! Then, pop highlander again and kill the whole team!

Edit: If you want to play a physical carry that takes more skill than Jax (as in, actually knowing what the fuck is going on and not having 3.4k HP as a crutch) play Yi for 450 ip. You'll learn some things very, very fast that Jax cannot teach you as well:

When to join a team fight and when to watch your teammates die

When to back door when said horrible team fight is happening

When to run the fuck away from things (Yi is squishy. Yi is a giant glass cannon)

I've already bought Yi with IP as 450 was VERY cheap compared to the rest of the heroes. I enjoy being unstoppable so he was a decent fit. I hear a lot of good things about Jax, though and I remember just getting trashed by this random Shaco once, so I'm all curious about him, too.

Evilsville on
    edited June 2010
    You can get Tristana for free by doing the facebook crap they have going

she is easily the best ranged carry in the game
    maybe corki is better but fuck that guy

Butterfly Boy on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If corki is better I have no idea how, every time I use him I get so annoyed I end up chewing through my own face. He has to be the most irritating character to use ever :<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corki does true damage as part of his passive

With enough attack speed that true damage is fucking stupid

@Evil: Think of everything that Yi can't do: AOE, Stun People, Escape without Highlander, and Survivability

That's Jax with all of Yi's positives: High single target DPS, Running the Hell away

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2010

@Evil: Think of everything that Yi can't do: AOE, Stun People, Escape without Highlander, and Survivability

That's Jax with all of Yi's positives: High single target DPS, Running the Hell away

:OOOOOOOOOOO

I think I am going to get Jax.

Evilsville on
    edited June 2010
    The thing is, honestly, Jax will make you overconfident

If you play him like Yi you'll have better results because you won't automatically assume you'll win every fight by yourself

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2010

wait what

his hextech shrapnel shells do true damage, ie not modified by armour?

That sounds pretty sweet.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

IMO Jax is worth it. He's brutally strong in pub games, absolutely brutal. If you practice, you should be able to carry your team to victory frequently. Plus you can save your IP for runes, which can get 'spensive :(

None of the champs are worth five bucks, that is dumb.

Zek on
    edited June 2010
    5 bucks is like... a cheeseburger. I can handle spending that on something I spend a lot of time on. What money is worth is fairly subjective!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited June 2010

wait what

his hextech shrapnel shells do true damage, ie not modified by armour?

That sounds pretty sweet.

Hextech Shrapnel Shells
    Corki's basic attacks deal 10% additional true damage to minions, monsters, and champions.

Can't you read

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited June 2010
    Can't you read

I had no idea that true damage meant anything in this game, but apparently so! Cool.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    5 bucks is like... a cheeseburger. I can handle spending that on something I spend a lot of time on. What money is worth is fairly subjective!

Five bucks is also an entire video game on Steam. HoN in its entirety with everything always unlocked is $30.

Zek on
    edited June 2010
    Five bucks is also an entire video game on Steam. HoN in its entirety with everything always unlocked is $30.

Woah, didn't know HoN was so cheap. That's pretty cool. How are they planning on funding it for the future - hoping people continue to buy, or releasing expansion packs with new heroes or?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited June 2010
    hon is also terrible

Butterfly Boy on
    edited June 2010
    Eh, 5 bucks for the ONE champion I really want seems fine to me. Probably will unlock the next one I want (Shaco) with IP.

Evilsville on
    edited June 2010
    did you get the free Tristana yet dude

did you

cause seriously she owns

Butterfly Boy on
  • CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Small warning, Shaco is the kind of champion where it is incredibly easy to die over and over again in horrible ways, or to crush your foes. I bought him at level 10, played twice and didn't touch him until level 30. I was just too afraid.

edit: How do I change my status to away?

Cutfang on
    Dancing Bagel
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The thing is, honestly, Jax will make you overconfident

If you play him like Yi you'll have better results because you won't automatically assume you'll win every fight by yourself

I agree with this 100%. Having the free Yi week was awesome because I got to play such a strong carry (3v3) that was also hard to keep alive. I learned a lot about when to chase and how to hang back. I know I still go out a little too far from time to time but my deaths in the 5v5 games has dropped significantly. I don't feel like I'm feeding the other team as much.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Eh, 5 bucks for the ONE champion I really want seems fine to me. Probably will unlock the next one I want (Shaco) with IP.

It's better to try out unknown champions during their free week so you can make a better judgement, sometimes you may find find that a certain champion just doesn't suit you at all no matter how OP people say he is.

Peas on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It's better to try out unknown champions during their free week so you can make a better judgement, sometimes you may find find that a certain champion just doesn't suit you at all no matter how OP people say he is.

I went and spent IP on Garen even though the consensus is that he's pretty good but not great and that other characters do the same role but better. I just really like him.

Also $5 a character is a little much and the fact that some are more like $8 is nuts. "Only $5" isn't the best way to look at it once you start buying multiple champs. From what I can tell, buy the packs if you really want more characters, supporting Riot a bit, and use IP for the others.

When thinking of buying a character just remember any game you played when you were younger, like Magic. When I was a kid i would spend $5 or $10 on a card I wanted. Looking back, yeah I had fun but I wish I hadn't spent hundreds of dollars on the habit.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I went and spent IP on Garen even though the consensus is that he's pretty good but not great and that other characters do the same role but better. I just really like him.

The consensus is wrong; any character in the right hands can be absolutely devastating.

You are right to play Garen, for he is amazing.

Melkster on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Evil, if you're going to spend $5 for just one, may as well pony up for the other 20 and get the champion bundle, which comes with jax (and shaco) as well as 18 other champions.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636