As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
edited December 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
Apparently the game is still kicking. Figure I'll clean the OP up a little, so:

Website!
Endless trial (up to level 10)
New player guide

Arthil wanted to mention how you can refer a friend for 10 days, earning goodies in the process. More info here

Sterica on

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not anymore, no. It got pretty dull eventually. Hopefully there will be an expansion soon

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I could see it going free to play in a few years. Shame, the pvp was really fun.

Gene Parmesan on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    You can play in Tier 1 for free. I tried it last night and was tempted to make a new thread.

They're finally starting to hint at a patch 1.4, so I guess that is good news?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been horribly addicted to it again for about 2 months now.

It's....well....not exactly overwhelmingly better, but they fixed most of my complaints(Buggy meele/morale abilities, buggy EVERYTHING) that I'm pretty much gay for it again.

But I play Order on Iron Rock, so there's that.

Transporter on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What happened to this game? I was so ready to get a subscription when I got a new PC, but when I did I found out the game was basically dead.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2010
    If it's a good server population wise I'll transfer some of my deposed characters on it. Really not looking to get 20 levels then figure the server is a ghost town.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited June 2010
    The game is dead? I heard the population actually stabilized.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did it? Might entice me to play. But then, with GW2 and SW: TOR around the corner...

-Loki- on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does the free tier one stuff let me play a Choppa?

edit: turns out it's only Empire vs Chaos, eff

815165 on
    edited June 2010
    Thats fantastic news. Anyone belong to a good guild? I have my engineer main on Iron rock now.

Gene Parmesan on
    edited June 2010
    I think the game HAD a stable population, but the billing screw-up in March hurt them. In Mythic's defense, they did a lot to make it up to players. Still, not a good thing to happen to a game on life support. Don't watch the YouTube video that has Paul trying to shill the game in Korea. It's depressing.

Resubscribing is a really iffy thing, as Tier 1 is pretty populated but only because it's free. Every time I try to get back into the game, Tier 3 always pops up and shits all over my experience. Tier 4 is no reprieve, because now everyone is level 40 and triple my damn renown rank.

The endless trial is a damn good deal, however, as it gives you the first tier to play through with few restrictions (stuck in Empire/Chaos pairing, no access to capital). I've been having a bit of fun, but any claims about improved performance seem a bit dubious. The game does look a bit better, but I'm getting weird framerate drops in areas that I shouldn't be. Doesn't hurt RvR, but really weird. I should probably consider a fresh install.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    815165 on
    edited June 2010
    He deserves it, to be frank. A lot of his videos were full of shit.

Is it actually possible to get a 10-day trial for an existing account? Not going to waste 15 dollars only to find that the tiers above 1 are either dead or terrible.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It is still kicking, the new city sieges are an absolute blast. The population on Iron Rock is pretty good although we are in a destro domination cycle right now. Although we did have a huge fight earlier today in Chaos Wastes that was about 100 on 100.

The free trials is any race or class, they just have dropped everyone in the empire vs chaos zones so people are less spread out.

If you have any questions hit me up in game or here Detharen of Iron Rock, rr80 full sov black orc

Detharin on
    edited June 2010
    Deth, do you know of any trials that work for accounts? With Tier 1 being free, it's hard to get an accurate feel for the subscriber experience.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just reactivated my old account on the "call to arms" 10 day trial thingy. I tried playing some on Volkmar since the goons are there.

Good fucking god is this game dead. There are some people playing in tier 4, yes, but there is a serious problem when it's 8PM and it takes 15-20 minutes for a scenario to pop in tier 1.

Mythic needs to take a page from Turbine's book and find a way to make this game F2P. That is literally the only thing I can imagine that might save this game, otherwise it will continue to wither as long as there are no new players flowing in.

Scosglen on
    edited June 2010
    Eh, that doesn't surprise me. People tend to prefer oRvR to scenarios.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Eh, that doesn't surprise me. People tend to prefer oRvR to scenarios.

There was no action whatsoever in any of the non chaos-empire pairings and there were about 10 people total in the rvr lake for the duration of the evening as I played.

Scosglen on
    edited June 2010
    Awesome. Well, I found the call-to-arms thing (surprised it still works), so I'll dive in and see.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The game is in major need of Expansion.

And will it kill them to make the Cities Open World? I don't think so.

And god dammit, someone help me get to Mythic studios so I can punch the idea of a fuckton of Tier 3 content so it'll stop being a suckfest. They've got Talabecland but not Talabheim. Really? A city bulit inside a crater and a fortress bulit into the crater wall. That just fucking screams "Tier 3 Open World City Siege."

Those are my major complaints.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited June 2010
    I'm liking these shaman changes. Especially since it looks like they didn't go through with the big mechanic rehaul.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What I found funny is when I came back to the game I saw players something I did not see that much of when you got out of the starting zone the first time I played.

I really had a problem with many of the classes and lore of the game. I know they tried to make it famliar for people or a basic class but a Sword Masters of Hoeth are not a tank nor are the Black Guard
    The High Elves and Dwarves are freinds? THey let humans and dwarves on Ulthuan and let them live?

I saw a lot of gold spammers when I returned they did fix some of the crafting problems and made it easier to understand that this skill goes with this trade.

I think I am a chaos magus and black guard on Iron Rock

Brainleech on
    edited June 2010
    Trying to equate the lore of a table top game with the mechanics of an MMORPG is never going to work out well.

Suspend your disbelief, sir!

edit: anyway I'm gonna check out the Choppa in that free tier one trial, I think

815165 on
    edited June 2010
    I lied my very lost Shadow warrior is on Iron Rock the other two are on badlands

But then I remembered my shadow warrior was lost in the dark elf area and I dealt with some rather dumb gm's about that problem the advice they gave was for me to delete my character and start over where I would be in the correct area

I know the lore of a table top game does not work that well in a online setting when most of it was based on metal and beer

Brainleech on
    edited June 2010
    I have a character in each tier on Iron Rock Order, litterally. And I'm guild leader of the Old PAA guild too, for some reason on one of my alts. It's completley dead, but it's a nice starting point. I can help out whoever feels like playing again. My Swordmaster is the Guild leader in T2 named Finnall, just send me a message, I guess I can play her for the next couple of days.

The real key to drawing blood out of the rock that is WAR, is being an expert hearder of cats. If you're on thinking "MAN IT SURE IS DEAD TODAY", there is at least 24 people in that tier thinking "MAN IT SURE IS DEAD TODAY." Advertise in Realm War(The new cross zone chat for that tier only) and in Advice(Which is a new global chat) that you're starting to take BO's in wherever the hell you want, and it usually cascades from there.

On Iron Rock, T1 and T2 are fairly constantly active on both sides. T3 is a teenage wasteland, and T4 is a fairly frequent bloodbath.

The way I got through T2 and T3 is basically like this.

If there is RvR, DO RvR.

If there is no RvR, que for scenarios, and do easy PQ's/quest.

And if you really want RvR, create RvR. You won't always roflstomp win, but there are at least 6 people online on your side thinking the same thing, and that's all it takes to start taking Battle objectives.

Edit; In the worst case scenario I could awalsy powerlevel people in Land of the Dead for stupid easy exp on my Knight of the Blazing Sun. But that basically makes you gimped.

Transporter on
    edited June 2010
    The system they have for letting people transport to areas of importance is brilliant. I've got a sad level 12 on Iron rock, Sheemye. I'm looking to poop sock this game a little over the summer.

Gene Parmesan on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit detharin is playing and is happy with the game? O_O

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2010
    Holy shit detharin is playing and is happy with the game? O_O

It annoys me less than other MMOs on the market. Besides with the new city mechanic how can you not love getting be to made a champ, given 55k health, made about 50 feet tall, and get to wade through lesser mortals. It is kinda like playing godzilla.

Plus scorched earth took a major hit of the nerf bat, and now costs no AP to cast, but instead costs combustion. Good BWs/sorcs can still AOE but the facerollers are easy kills. Their single target damage got shot through the roof and will likely get toned down, but if someone at least has to target me to burn me down I am happy.

Detharin on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    It is still kicking, the new city sieges are an absolute blast. The population on Iron Rock is pretty good although we are in a destro domination cycle right now. Although we did have a huge fight earlier today in Chaos Wastes that was about 100 on 100.

The free trials is any race or class, they just have dropped everyone in the empire vs chaos zones so people are less spread out.

If you have any questions hit me up in game or here Detharen of Iron Rock, rr80 full sov black orc

Holy shit that's you? When ever I see you I always stop and look at the plates of armor straped to you.

I play on every tier destro side of iron rock, and got people in the first 3 tiers order badlands. I've got a good guild and it looks like I just became my guilds main tank for dungeons. I'm starting to poop sock this game something fierce, so if you ever need help, let me know.

ps I'm a 40/45 blorc main Bobakirafett on Iron rock, leveling a dok up though, currently ~32. I really want more people in T3 with my alts, stupid ass lotd grinding.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Yep that is me alright, been playing around with various specs lately. Sadly full sov isn't the best but man does it look awesome. i tend to wear it for city sieges just to scare order. These days i mostly just log in to kill people, I don't run many dungeons although did run B/B last night with a couple guildies as DPS. Finished both of them combined in about 35m.

If you have any questions on BO tanking, or any encounters in the game let me know.

Detharin on
    edited June 2010
    I am playing Roruz on Iron Rock. They made an actual leech healing spec and made eeek not suck! And they didn't fuck with our mechanic which works really well with the new spec.

Excited to play some tonight.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    I played a bunch last night on my shadow warrior I saw tons of spammers, it took a few to learn how to play again. But does my gear ever suck. I got a pie in the mail?

Brainleech on
    edited June 2010
    Ugh, the game still feels like a lot of cool stuff thrown in a bucket. The result is kinda fun, but ultimately very sloppy. Gonna keep going until the trial ends, but I will have a few parting words for what could be my last visit to the Old World.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    Yep that is me alright, been playing around with various specs lately. Sadly full sov isn't the best but man does it look awesome. i tend to wear it for city sieges just to scare order. These days i mostly just log in to kill people, I don't run many dungeons although did run B/B last night with a couple guildies as DPS. Finished both of them combined in about 35m.

If you have any questions on BO tanking, or any encounters in the game let me know.

There is a slight difference between scaring Order and being completley invincible.

Also why do you all have to be on the OPPOSITE SIDE dang it.

If you see Canoness in my crappy gear say hi.

I will say hi back with a sheild.

To the face

Transporter on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So a buddy and I booted up the endless trial last night/early this morning and had enough fun that we're actually considering subbing again.

We both have Order on Gorfang and Destro on Iron Rock, but we tend to play more Order. Can anyone tell me if Gorfang is still a reasonably active server?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited June 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So a buddy and I booted up the endless trial last night/early this morning and had enough fun that we're actually considering subbing again.

We both have Order on Gorfang and Destro on Iron Rock, but we tend to play more Order. Can anyone tell me if Gorfang is still a reasonably active server?

I can't really say, but I have destro on Gorfang, and apparently Destro's soul has been crushed and can never, ever return there.

So it might be pretty active for Order!

Transporter on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »

This is from last page, but holy shit. This is just painful to watch. What's worse, as he's capering around, making a fool of himself, he's talking to a crowd that usually goes batshit over MMO announcements. The silence is really awkward when you watch other videos like this.

Archonex on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I put 80 bucks into the game when it came out, 50$ for retail and 30$ for two months.

Ultimately, not the best use of buying my first game with my own cash.

Evil Weevil on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The game had a lot of things going for it, and when they worked well it was a shit-ton of fun.

But the little bugs stacked up on the big bugs and the design decisions and little quirks eventually made it completely horrible at times.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I restarted this about a week or two ago. I am on Iron Rock I think. It was the one with the +20% exp for both sides. I am in tier 2 and usually can kill an evening doing nothing but rvr the whole time with random sc when I get bored. My last 3 levels and 3 rr were just pure open rvr with like one sc an hour and all while only playing like 4 hours over the last few days. The pvp is just so much fun and it is shame it took them so long to equalize everything out in the game.

Playing a magus by the way and in the guild called Chaotic. Pretty cool people so far. I am on T2 named Frineen or something like that it was a random name since I wasn't sure how long I was going to play but ended up loving the magus class a lot and not sure why. I think its the floating disk of awesome. Also have a bunch t1 guys Mazzyx is my marauder, I have a DoK and haven't made the tank yet. Will get my list of names later for yall if you want to bug me.

It actually really reminds me of DAoC when the servers were only like 1500 at peak and you still could find constant rvr.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png