As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    So a buddy and I booted up the endless trial last night/early this morning and had enough fun that we're actually considering subbing again.

We both have Order on Gorfang and Destro on Iron Rock, but we tend to play more Order. Can anyone tell me if Gorfang is still a reasonably active server?

I can't really say, but I have destro on Gorfang, and apparently Destro's soul has been crushed and can never, ever return there.

So it might be pretty active for Order!

Ha, I reactivated my account with the 10 day trial thing but I managed to "transfer" my highest level Order character from Badlands to Badlands while simultaneously changing her name that I really liked to one that I don't like as much. So it looks like I'll be stuck in T1/T2 on Gorfang for a bit longer than intended :( .

I think this will be my 5th Warrior Priest I level past T1. Love the melee healers. Although Archmage is fun too...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I started the Endless Trial last night, just to see if the game has changed enough to re-sub...

I can't believe after all this time, the game still hitches like a god damn bike chain. Every 15-30s, I'll get this horrible hitch and pause as I am moving around, Vanguard style. It happened at release, and it still happens. Different hardware, different OS, etc.

Plus the mob animations are still clunky as shit, and mobs still do random warping shit when you kill them. Seriously, over a year after release and these kinds of things are still in the game?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Combat is still loose. I swear I had a spell repeat the animation twice.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    I didn't play enough to notice last night, but are the input timings and animations still completley disjointed? To the point that on my DoK, I almost never looked at my actual character, I just stared at the bar, because if I tried to follow the flow of combat watching my combat animations, it was a train wreck.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Playing my 21 KoTBS on Volkmar, Nyrruk. Most nights.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As I make halfhearted effort to play my rank 14 zealot in an ORVR Warband today, it dawns on me in the middle of a perpetually ineffective keep assault how full of shit Paul Barnett was.

All I hear echoing in my head is

"Everyone fights in Warhammer! No pansy healers hiding in the back going...(nancy voice) and I heal! and I heal! and I heal!""

as I'm healing, healing healing...

Don't get me started on the "killabear" interview.

Scosglen on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvAznIRVLA

That man is an idiot and should never have come within a hundred feet of a development team. Lum the Mad thinks so too, partly because he worked at Mythic and knew the circles.

I've been fooling around in the endless free trial a bit. I ignored the hype for this game back when I played WoW more hardcore in BC and saw lots of people in my guild disappear only to reappear a few months later with glazed eyes and cynical tones. After playing it for a few days I see why.
    Even with the fact that I got given some good gear for rank 10 from a passing rank 40 being generous, and even though they gave me a little apple to hang on my belt because i'm playing the Mac version, and even though I actually enjoyed the PvP in Nordland at that big village near the warcamp, I could tell this game was all kinds of fail.

You guys are right about this game needing stuff like a F2P model or an expack or both to inject new life in. It has potential, a lot of it, but the glitches and the lack of truly enjoyable PvE is staggering enough that im near certain i'll never give a shit about this game enough to spend money on it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There's a reason why there's a lack of PvE.

But there's very little reason for the lack of other things.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah PvE was never the games main focus, so complaining -too- much about it seems a tad silly.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So today order had a massive zerg, and my alliance spent the afternoon keeping them out of city until it got late and they headed to bed.

Today i watched 20 people kill 88. We took the BO in dragonwake near out warcamp, and as opposed to waiting for it to capture we left to charge up the hill and hit the order assembling to take it back. Then we pushed into the people just arriving, and continued pushing as order trickled in in waves of 5 and 10. We caught a ton of people who would stop on their mounts, unsure whether to turn and run or to join the fight. By the time they realized there was not as much red in front of them as their needed to be, we had dismounting them and cut them down.

We fought from the BO all the way back to the huge bridge near the east keep. In the end we were left standing, and the zerg was dead.

Of course a couple times we hit the combined force, or they assembled to quickly and we died horribly. However nothing will compare to that huge push.

Detharin on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey! I was there for that! Well, not there, because pugger's are retarded and charged down to a newly taken BO that couldn't be taken for 15 minutes. But I remember that push. I thought you guys made it all the way to almost Mourn though. That's when my guild showed up, anyway.

When you guys charged Pel's with our pants down I was all "OH SHIT BLACK ORC IN FULL SOVERIGN oh hey I know that Blorc!"

I would have waved however you were too busy killing us. In the face.

And last night?

That was everything. That was the kitchen sink. Litterally every single active T4 Order guild. On. In vent. Organized. And a partial zerg. And that was including a couple of our high end PVE guilds and our one Soverigen rape guild.

Like, I'm pretty sure that will never happen ever again. But it was fun!

Transporter on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    One thing I have heard and I actually believe it after being a long time DAoC guy a lot of the shit was thrust on them by EA when they came in. Not a surprise of course. I mean the game was launched about 2 to 6 months before it ever should of been, I mean they still had four classes that need tuning that weren't in the game at release.(Choppa, Blackguard, Knight of the Blazing Sun, and Slayers) This meant a really buggy unfinished product was launched(oh a buggy mmo being launched months before it should of? this never happens). But this killed the game early, then EA pulled out their money leaving Mythic high and dry having to lay off pretty much almost the entire team.

This is a game that got killed by a large publisher looking to make a quick buck and maybe produce their own WoW. I figure if it was Mythic themselves probably wouldn't have been put out till at least all the classes were in and it would of been half as buggy. Probably would of never made WoW levels but at least would of gotten a nice steady base along the lines of LotR or CO. But got killed in its infancy basically.

Its a shame because I have so much fun doing orvr with my magus and made a black orc last night and got up rank 7 with rr 7 doing sc and smashin' some gits.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You are spot on Mazzyx.

I'll probably try it again eventually, it can be a lot of fun even with all the bugs.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That, and a couple of Devs had favorite classes that they refused to balance. I think had they gone with a more true to WoW mirroring the classes instead of trying to keep everything unique and seperate but equal, they would have been more successful.

Having Caster classes have higher DPS in melee range than actual melee DPS classes, and having that be AOE was pure bullshit. Shovelling in Choppa/Slayer to try to have some melee classes almost equal that output was lame.

Having resists / toughness being made useless was also a poor choice on the devs part. Then having new items that stack offensive stats even higher with LotD wasnt very smart either.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited June 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Yeah PvE was never the games main focus, so complaining -too- much about it seems a tad silly.

Then if PvE was never the games "focus", they should have given it a much, much smaller role in the gameplay, rather than just cut and pasting WoW-style PvE on there, and doing it in a half ass manner.

I have a funny feeling that was a lot of the EA influence though.

GnomeTank on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That, and a couple of Devs had favorite classes that they refused to balance. I think had they gone with a more true to WoW mirroring the classes instead of trying to keep everything unique and seperate but equal, they would have been more successful.

Having Caster classes have higher DPS in melee range than actual melee DPS classes, and having that be AOE was pure bullshit. Shovelling in Choppa/Slayer to try to have some melee classes almost equal that output was lame.

Having resists / toughness being made useless was also a poor choice on the devs part. Then having new items that stack offensive stats even higher with LotD wasnt very smart either.

I was originally on the side that having the classes be different was a good thing.

I have since changed my mind.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game's PvP is solid. If it had been implemented with more balance and less emphasis on doing the lame PvE to reach PvP, I'd probably have played it alongside WoW or even on it's own after I quit WoW. As is, like you guys are saying, EA wanted a cash cow to rival Blizzard's and Activision's and couldn't care less about how it was implemented, and Mythic was rushed in with this before they were ready. WAR can probably still be an ok MMO if it can only get an expansion, some needed bug fixes and perhaps a F2P model to bring in fresh blood.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Notice how EA isn't releasing Star Wars right before Cataclysm?

Yeah...

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MMO's arent dead until they're dead. Stop worrying about when it's going to die and play it more and it wont.

If you talk about how worried you are that it's going to die someone who might play is going to pass it up. Self fulfilling prophecy. I been talking to people who play the game right now, people I know have a handle on things. I can't wait to get back to it. Shit has improved so much.

I woulda been back by now but, well, this semester got hectic. I'm counting the days till my exams are over.

Drop the past, it's been patched.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2010
    Actually you can see almost a complete shift in the game looking through the old stuff when EA came in and bought Mythic.

Mythic learned its pve lesson with the Atlantis expansion for DAoC. Don't put PvE grinding in a PvP based game except at a minimum to get some money and level. Hell they made servers without this one expansion and they became the most populated servers for a reason. EA basically came in and say ok you guys have a well known franchise, your making a pvp game cool. But you have to include this WoW style stuff because we want to make money like Blizzard does from the pve stuff while promoting the pvp. Oh and you have to release the game when we tell you.

Yeah that went well. EA is a crap company though which isn't a surprise. Actually wouldn't of minded if they put in DAoC PvE with this new upgraded rvr stuff which was basically DAoC 2.0. And if they made it so you could solo the pve and not get butt raped all the better.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited June 2010
    I think early on rewards needed to be easier to get. PQs (at least in the first 2 or 3 tiers) should have given enough influence to reach the max rank in no more than two runs. Doing that much PvE grinding in a PvP game really got to me. Influence in ORvR lakes needed to be gained quicker as well. No one grinds enough RP in the T1 RvR lake to actually gain the Rank 3 rewards.

Its a shame that the game did so many things so poorly for such a long time, because the balance in PvP is really much better now and I'm having fun doing scenarios with my friends. I really hope they decide to follow in LoTRO's footsteps and turn the game into a F2P hybrid because T2 and T3 are dead zones right now and I'm quickly losing the drive to level through them.

Fig-D on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No one grinds enough RP in the T1 RvR lake to actually gain the Rank 3 rewards.

I do. With every character I have. It's pretty easy and quick. At least I think so.

I assume you mean Rank 3 Influence Reward.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hard part is getting Renown rewards after T1. I was constantly 1:1 in R:RR until i got out of T1

Now im 23:13.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
    edited June 2010
    No one grinds enough RP in the T1 RvR lake to actually gain the Rank 3 rewards.

I do. With every character I have. It's pretty easy and quick. At least I think so.

I assume you mean Rank 3 Influence Reward.

That is what I was referring to. I dunno, the gain seems pretty slow to me because I spent about 3 hours in the ORvR lake on Gorfang last night (not taking scenario pops) and only got a little over one bar of influence.

Fig-D on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just did the ten day free trial for my account after having a craving to start playing again. I used to have a choppa in the PA guild what server/side is everybody hitting up so I can join in on the fun?

Also found some statistics

http://pauser.com/warhammer/popmon/

Maybe someone who is better with graphs and charts and MMO numbers can make a bit more sense of it but it's pretty current and the numbers are kinda dismal.

Edit: looking further that appears to be just numbers for Rank 40's which makes it no where near as bad.

Ziac45 on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    something something scenarios something something

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited June 2010
    Yeah gotta be just 40s, otherwise half of Iron Rock's population is Teir 2 since we usually have a wb band of 25+ running around in orvr+sc pops which are usually seem to be another 10 to 20 people.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow forgot how much I love this game, just made a warpriest on Gorfang ran around smacking stuff up in Probably the best PvP in any MMo I have played. If any PA guys are still playing on Iron Fist let me know, still have my choppa there and just rolled a Zealot

Ziac45 on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    god i remember taking out a team of 3 greenskins out in a t2 elven BO.... all dodging and weaving around tents and fences and and snaring and kiting god this game is so good but the level grind augggh

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Having my old guild do a collective resub, and hearing their accounts of improved gameplay, actually makes we want to start this up again. I guess you pretty much got have some buddy/ies for WAR to be really enjoyable but it seems to be a pretty great pvp game right now.

Panda4You on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If there is RvR, DO RvR.

If there is no RvR, que for scenarios, and do easy PQ's/quest.

And if you really want RvR, create RvR. You won't always roflstomp win, but there are at least 6 people online on your side thinking the same thing, and that's all it takes to start taking Battle objectives.

This is so true. Me and my brother just started by slowly taking a bo, then another guy joined, then another group in a different zone join, next thing you know we had a keep and were working on a second.

Also, don't think of it as a level grind, enjoy the action you're taking place in. I'm leveling 3 different order dudes in each pairing just to max the influence bars. Pretty fun.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been playing this again for a couple weeks now, really enjoying a shaman over a witch hunter like I played last time, Iron Rock 28/28 atm.

Character name is coutts

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wish i could play this again, but my main is a magus, and they're just not very good compared to any other classes.

ghost_master2000 on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man what you guys really need to do is settle on a server/side, otherwise we'd be all kinds of split up.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PA had organized Order and Chaos guilds at one point, called Candymancers and The Six Mouths, respectively.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dac wrote: »
    PA had organized Order and Chaos guilds at one point, called Candymancers and The Six Mouths, respectively.

Weren't they on Badlands Order and Iron Rock destruction in that order?

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I am on Iron Rock, though I am in a guild at the moment. My main is a magus, which at times I feel really week other times I get off 3 aoe dots on a group of people defending a keep and watching like 40 numbers tick on my screen even though I don't kill anyone is fun. Also magus cruise in style.

This weekend has kind of sucked, no sc's popping and the orvr though existent isn't moving my rr up fast enough, I need rr 18 to equip a piece of gear sitting in my bag.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am on Iron Rock, though I am in a guild at the moment. My main is a magus, which at times I feel really week other times I get off 3 aoe dots on a group of people defending a keep and watching like 40 numbers tick on my screen even though I don't kill anyone is fun. Also magus cruise in style.

This weekend has kind of sucked, no sc's popping and the orvr though existent isn't moving my rr up fast enough, I need rr 18 to equip a piece of gear sitting in my bag.

Magus are sweet until t4, and then they suck until rr70+(which is way too much work just to be comparable to a bw/sorc at rr40). I've single handedly wiped groups of 6-12 people in keeps in T2 and T3, but t4 rolls around and magus become a joke.

The trick is to get all your AOE stuff going at once, if you can manage the 10-15 second preparation you can kill stuff by the 20 second mark. Meanwhile BW and sorc need 5 second preparation to kill people by the 10 second mark. Yes they damage themselves, but they kill stuff way faster nullifying that disadvantage.

ghost_master2000 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Still? Damn they've been weak since launch.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.