As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spex Does Animation And Stuff (updated with older stuff)

Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOMEYESRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
About time I made another one of these, it's been a while.

Right, so, as some of you may know, I've been attending the Willem de Kooning Academy in Rotterdam for close to two years now. Specifically, I've been studying animation. I'm in my second year now, and we got an assignment to make a short animation of about a minute for the North Sea Jazz Festival.

My classmates and I had to pick a piece of Jazz music, any piece, edit it for length and make an animation around it. I picked Dizzy Gillespie's A Night In Tunisia and, after several weeks of work, did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDZfAPIp8RM

I ran out of time toward the end, which is why the backgrounds aren't as nice as they could've been, but overall I'm pretty happy with the result. Everything was done with Toonboom Animate, apart from the compositing, which I did in After Effects.

And here's some other animations we had to do for our regular animation class as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hko_WdCSL3k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjV6katzxFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAHto2IJsXY

I've been working on lots more stuff the past few months, so expect to see more stuff soon!

Comments and criticism welcome and encouraged. What's up?

Spectre-x on

• Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm really loving the acid bright colors in the first animation - and there's something about the tilt of the shoulders when the main character drives that charms the hell out of me.

Pukio on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The throw is alright. The arm can go back. It looks like he puts all the throw in the forearm and not the arm itself. Go look at some pitchers in baseball. They wind back more.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Love what youve posted. Especially the jumper because you have the added detail of the hair bounce etc.

I also enjoy that you are choosing to do this in a pretty anatomically correct style instead of the loose comic style so many animators do them as.

Very clean stuff man.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In the first piece, is that Carman Sandiego? Seriously though, it's really fun to watch. I love super bright colors like that.

Actually, it would work well as some kind of show opening.

Paradise on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like these a lot, especially the super bright colours of your short. Good work!

Grenn on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nice choice of music, and you cut it quite well. At first I felt like you had gone very stereotypical with the whole thing- (jazz must equal 20's-30's urban america)- but you did the theme well enough that in the end I didn't care. A few things I noticed- I love how you highlight the "P.I." character. He's either framed to be a focal point or the only thing really moving in most shots. That made it a little weird when you barely showed him and then didn't show him at all for a few cuts right in the middle ( :23-:30 ). I also felt like there wasn't a real sense of how the story ends. Just as I'm really getting a sense for the character and his environment he drives off into the night. (hmm.. maybe that's intended? o_O)

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I also felt like there wasn't a real sense of how the story ends. Just as I'm really getting a sense for the character and his environment he drives off into the night. (hmm.. maybe that's intended? o_O)

That's why it would make a good show opening.

Paradise on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Paradise wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    I also felt like there wasn't a real sense of how the story ends. Just as I'm really getting a sense for the character and his environment he drives off into the night. (hmm.. maybe that's intended? o_O)

That's why it would make a good show opening.

I fully expected the name of the show to appear at the very end. I am sad now that it does not end this way.

EDIT: what would such a show be called though? Spex, make up a name for it. I am wanting this to happen.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Were you given specific animation limitations when doing the exercises?

Anything can look good with full animation, but it's more of a challenge when you're working with standard, and a real test when using economic methods.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Godfather wrote: »

Anything can look good with full animation, but it's more of a challenge when you're working with standard, and a real test when using economic methods.

I'm not sure what you mean.

And thank you, everyone! I'm currently working on a guy riding a bike.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hey spex

you crazy dutch bastard

you do good animations

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Spectre-x wrote: »

24 frames a second, 12 F/S, 6 F/S

Most (if not all) companies want to see if you can deliver their product under strict guidelines. You don't get the luxury of full animation unless it's a feature film, so you usually have to rely on shaving down the frames to convey the same information full animation would.

Show them a demo reel adhering to a timing chart that showcases you can work under a certain budget and you'll have a much better chance of getting hired. Most schools don't teach this, which is why getting work is extremely difficult in the beginning.

Godfather on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    more spex! MORE!

r-jasper on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Most (if not all) companies want to see if you can deliver their product under strict guidelines. You don't get the luxury of full animation unless it's a feature film, so you usually have to rely on shaving down the frames to convey the same information full animation would.

Show them a demo reel adhering to a timing chart that showcases you can work under a certain budget and you'll have a much better chance of getting hired. Most schools don't teach this, which is why getting work is extremely difficult in the beginning.

I find this stuff interesting.

The animated music video I worked on was all shot in 12 F/s but there was one scene where the singer was singing a line while a painted snake slithered up a column next to him. We decided to animate the snake every second frame of the singer's frames (making it 6 F/s) and the result was that it looked as smooth as we needed it to, but moved eerily slow and snakelike.

Anyway, yes Spex I like this stuff, please post more.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm in europe, so it's 25 frames a second here. These things are almost exclusively animated on doubles, so around 12 images per second, with a bit of fiddling here and there to make it work better, which is also a common practice.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i heard Toonboom is fucking expensive, thats the reason my college uses flash instead, but apparently toonboom puts flash to shame.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It is really expensive, but I got it for free through one of my teachers.

Flash is one of the worst programs I've ever had to use. You can do lots of neat stuff in it, but jesus fucking christ is it an awkward bitch of a thing to use.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Toonboom basically took the animation aspect of flash and made it better in every way. It is now the industry standard, but companies still use flash in a lot of places.

EDIT: Why 25 fps? That's so bizarre.

Godfather on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PAL format

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    25 fps?

I've never even heard of that. Even most european companies I know of work at 24 fps. Hell, Richard Williams told me himself that he works at 24 fps.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PAL format

Basically this, yeah, and some gobbledygook about how our European electricity issues forth at 50Hz, while your American system runs on 60Hz.

But yes, PAL format.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Really nice work, good sense of realistic weight which will be a great asset to you. But a little stiff in some cases.

All I would suggest is loosen up a little ( I guess don't be afraid to exaggerate) and most of all don't forget animation is fun!

Also have you heard of 11 second club? I would love to see some lip sync work from you.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    the 11 second club is fantastic! even if you don't enter it, the practice you gain from it is invaluable. and if you do win. holymotherofgod. the advice you'd get would be amazing.

there are some retards on there who don't know what they're talking about (like anywhere i guess) but i still think it's a pretty neat place.

e: i've spent the last 4 years using flash, and i just can't get my head around toonboom. i get this sense of hostility from it...

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Funny, I get that with Flash. I can't even imagine someone not finding Toonboom more user-friendly than Flash.

I suppose it's Stockholm Syndrome. Flash has been abusing you for four years, and you've just lost any sense of how a normal relationship with an animation program would even work. You poor thing.

I have heard of this 11-second club, by the way, and I shall look into it. Many thanks all around!

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Although the jazz animation's a lot of fun and I echo the love for the colors, I'm actually a lot more into your cycles and so forth. There's a lot more actual animation going on, and it's got a ton of character. I always said your knack for movement was apparent even in your still drawings and you're only getting better.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Aw shucks, thanks! I always like when you say good things about my art.

I vaguely wish I'd managed my time a bit better better, though, because I could've done the backgrounds up all nice with some parallax shift and animated more characters for longer periods of time, but oh well! I did learn lots about time management, though. It's going to be even better next time!

And I really love animating stuff, it's just a tremendous blast. My classmates all like it, too, but they've all commented on the fact that I actually like all of the hard work that goes into it as opposed to some bits plus the satisfaction of a job well done at the end. The actual process is just so much fun for me, as well as designing characters and storyboarding and coming up with little stories and so on. I really couldn't wish for a better thing to study.

Also, your comic is totally tits, and you're seriously improving yourself. Like dang and such!

Anyway, here's some stuff of mine that I did last year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNPJi0s_cvs

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    I feel like a bit of a broken record, but if you are into pencil and paper animation, try TV paint. Its a great program, its what i did my thesis in. If you just want to do digital line tests and things, man its fast.

The animations look great, and I'm excited for the action packed character of your art to start breathing more individuality into it. It looks like you have a natural sense of motion, though.

Iruka on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hahah I love that plump little man in the walk cycles.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As an animator I approve of these. :) I need to do more 2D animation. There's just something more... lively about it, especially compared to 3D animation.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hahah I love that plump little man in the walk cycles.

He is Doctor Signmund, star of a really funny Dutch newspaper comic by Peter de Wit. He's basically the worst psychiatrist in the universe on account of being extremely cynical and a genuinely terrible human being in general. It's my favourite Dutch newspaper comic, basically. Often very hit-or-miss, but it hits really well when it does.

We had an assignment to pick one of several characters that appeared in the strip, make a modelsheet for them and then animate them using said modelsheet as a guide. It was a lot of fun!

Spectre-x on