As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini] Witch Hunt - Coven eliminated, Village victory

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

We have tol give cap another night to prove himself. Unless you're theorizing that we either don't have a vig or have an inactive one (since there wasn't a vig kill last night). it seems just as reasonable that he did in fact correctly call his kill and just managed to hit the same target as the mafia did.

Its that, considering the theme of the game. It wouldn't seem off. E.G. Focus on the trial.

Granted part of it is Im just not a fan of voting myself. You need to see if the narration is legitimate or not , thats fair. But I wouldn't grasp it so readily as falcon and ultarune did, its rather foolish.

And I don't feel like presenting another target. I don't have any other info or anything beyond gut feelings. If the mafia is smart they would keep me around just as a distraction.

Egos on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also, what the devil are you lot on about? Capfalcon is pretty clearly innocent, as there was no vigilante kill tonight. Egos is... what is Egos, even? Maybe it's a witch. Maybe we should burn it, maybe not.

Maybe my husband should contact me, as it's cold and lonely at night.

Seriously!

Lucedes on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Because, um, we don't know the game's rules and knowing which mechanics are active would be nice to know. Or someone could have gotten lucky aim with a power that goes in the narration. I put public seering in my game, for example.

The narration tells us that Egos was fleeing the scene of the murder of Dunadan, right?

So I figure either:

1) Egos is evil and we have a good power that affects the narration and is actively trying to help us.
    2) Egos isn't evil and we have an evil power that affects the narration and is actively trying to hurt us.

I think learning which is worth the risk that Egos is in fact good. Unless Egos is a special which changes the math. Am I overlooking something?

Obviously it sucks for Egos if it's 2. Sorry Egos!

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited June 2010
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Also, what the devil are you lot on about? Capfalcon is pretty clearly innocent, as there was no vigilante kill tonight.

Witches + Demonic Possession + lack of mention of a double kill. It wouldn't surprise me if they have spells at their disposal or something of that sort and took a gambit thinking they would show as a villager kill.

sorta depends Whats the order of resolution?

Egos on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmmmmm.

You know, you do in fact have a good point.

I'll blame the fact that I recently shifted my sleep schedule backwards a full 5 hours.

!Egos.

Lucedes on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Egos wrote: »
    Also, what the devil are you lot on about? Capfalcon is pretty clearly innocent, as there was no vigilante kill tonight.

Witches + Demonic Possession + lack of mention of a double kill. It wouldn't surprise me if they have spells at their disposal or something of that sort and took a gambit thinking they would show as a villager kill.

So... Wait. You're saying that I tried to do some weird mafia shenanigans and make the kill show up as a vig kill? So there would be no mafia kill that night? And this was supposed to be not suspicious and gain the trust of the village?

Capfalcon on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah... that was not the strongest line of reasoning, Egos.

enlightenedbum on
  • UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cap calling a kill and it turning mafia makes me believe that witches orders go through first and his was just wasted. I suppose its within the realm of possiblity that hes mafia, but it'd be a pretty weird ruse to draw attention to himself. His trick would work max 2 nights, then hes burnt at the stake. Hes pretty well confimed in my eyes from his called kill, even though it didn't go through, cause he had nothing to gain and everything to lose if he was proved wrong. As I said, I'm not convinced Egos is evil, its entirely possible that the witches kill mechanic is mind control, but Egos is worth sacraficing to determine if thats true. Of course if they have deathmilling, boy, we could be in trouble, but best to cross that bridge when we come to it.

Egos professed disbelief that there are only 25 names also makes me think he could be mafia who got accidently caught by the narration, and if thats true, woo, day 2 village vote on a mafia, but we get good info regardless of who he really is.

Ultarune on
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm thinking the name thing didn't go well for you Egos

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't call cap confirmed, but he's gotta try again tonight. And we should give him that chance.

enlightenedbum on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm going to go with Egos to see how reliable the narration is.

Ebfan on
    edited June 2010
    Ultarune wrote: »

Egos professed disbelief that there are only 25 names .

Its not disbelief about that, its the belief that the host would have other mechanics in play so it wasn't just an issue of an aggressive Dunadan type just yelling at players "give me your name and role or die!" which happened in a recent game. Its an effective tactic and even if its kinda frowned upon , it doesn't stop people.

Egos on
  • ThisLandThisLand Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I honestly dont thing the narration is something to go by.

ThisLand on
    edited June 2010

Its not disbelief about that, its the belief that the host would have other mechanics in play so it wasn't just an issue of an aggressive Dunadan type just yelling at players "give me your name and role or die!" which happened in a recent game. Its an effective tactic and even if its kinda frowned upon , it doesn't stop people.

Oh believe me, I know what your saying. The phalla that pretty much made me quit for a while didn't have traditional vig/seer voles for the village, but rather items that were randomly distributed that performed the same ability. I (it turned out correctly) presumed that the host wouldn't allow such items to fall into the mafia's hands for balance reasons, and there for, anyone who used such an item and could prove it, was auto-confirmed as village, barring conversion. Tehspectre railed against my viewpoint, resorting to personal attacks and saying the host would be incredibly stupid, etc. if this turned out to be the case. He turned out to be mafia, so was playing his role, but the sheer amount of vitriol spewed from multiple sides, including in proboards I found out after the game, turned me off phalla for a long while (call me thin-skinned, eh).

Thats why I'm being as absolutely respectful and neutral in my language as possible. I honestly think you were either mindcontrolled by the witches, or are a mafia who unfortunately got caught by game mechanics not working the way you figured. I'm not pointing fingers and going haha, its all part of the game and I want to keep the level of respect in discourse high. I for one have no problem with a host of a game not including any countermeasures against role calls in his game, because its just not a fun way to play the game, and I expect everybody to not use such a tool in this, or really any phalla.

Ultarune on
  • SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maybe this will stop any future roll calls from happening?

If we can connect the dots to people based on narration, or people blurting out their names, it'll keep people from coming out in the open with that.

Or, I'm waay off base

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
    edited June 2010

Oh believe me, I know what your saying. The phalla that pretty much made me quit for a while didn't have traditional vig/seer voles for the village, but rather items that were randomly distributed that performed the same ability. I (it turned out correctly) presumed that the host wouldn't allow such items to fall into the mafia's hands for balance reasons, and there for, anyone who used such an item and could prove it, was auto-confirmed as village, barring conversion. Tehspectre railed against my viewpoint, resorting to personal attacks and saying the host would be incredibly stupid, etc. if this turned out to be the case. He turned out to be mafia, so was playing his role, but the sheer amount of vitriol spewed from multiple sides, including in proboards I found out after the game, turned me off phalla for a long while (call me thin-skinned, eh).

Thats why I'm being as absolutely respectful and neutral in my language as possible. I honestly think you were either mindcontrolled by the witches, or are a mafia who unfortunately got caught by game mechanics not working the way you figured. I'm not pointing fingers and going haha, its all part of the game and I want to keep the level of respect in discourse high. I for one have no problem with a host of a game not including any countermeasures against role calls in his game, because its just not a fun way to play the game, and I expect everybody to not use such a tool in this, or really any phalla.

Was that LaOs' in D&D? That was my first game. :P

enlightenedbum on
    edited June 2010
    you can't stop human ingenuity, svenska.

Basically its best just to do good cover roles..sadly a lot of people get that wrong.. and a good spotter can tell the difference between legit and cover.

edit: had it as you can stop human ingenuity :)

Egos on
    edited June 2010
    That it was enlightenedbum. The amount and aggresiveness of attacks levied at both Laos and myself by tehspectre in that game really turned me completely off phalla for a long time. Its like going to a party, eating some chips, and them spitting them out and punching your host in the face when they are barbeque when they so CLEARLY should have been sour cream and onion. It smacks of entitlement and disrespect, any grievances with the rules should be attempted to be clarified of course, but if they don't work as you had thought, you shouldn't complain and lash out, but wait until the end of the game and make a polite post critiquing what you thought was an unfair aspect of the game. For the record, I'm not accusing Egos of doing this.

Egos, you are very right you can't stop human ingenuity, but we aren't dealing with the general public, and I think its entirely reasonable to expect the pa community of phalla players from refraining from rolecalls, its just a matter of honor. Its like opening your eyes under water when playing marco polo, you just have to hope everyone plays by the rules, and realizes its a fun game, not a cut throat competition where you do absolutely anything and everything to win.

Ultarune on
    edited June 2010
    I think Egos is a victum of circumstance, it was the first narrative. Simply a case of *insert name here*. But hey, what do I know?

ThisLand on
  • HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cap has another day to prove his kill, and should hopefully get the guard tonight.

And I dont buy the Egos vote ether. I think its probably how the mafia do their kill. Its way too easy a way to sniff out the witches otherwise.

So I think Egos is good, and the mafia are most likely padding his vote to make sure another innocent burns. As such, i'm going with a hunch on enlightenedbum

Hippie on
    edited June 2010
    Hippie wrote: »
    Cap has another day to prove his kill, and should hopefully get the guard tonight.

And I dont buy the Egos vote ether. I think its probably how the mafia do their kill. Its way too easy a way to sniff out the witches otherwise.

So I think Egos is good, and the mafia are most likely padding his vote to make sure another innocent burns. As such, i'm going with a hunch on enlightenedbum

I somewhat disagree with your second sentence. I agree it is a possiblity, it is completly possible that mind controlling people is just how the mafia does their kill. However, I don't think the narration being true, and naming the mafia killer, would make the game too easy, if the game had been played "properly" (and I put that in quotes because clearly its subjective). The salem witch trials were all about sowing discontent and rumor in order to kill your enemies, making neighbor distrust neighbor, and even spouse against spouse. Having most of the players being married to another player they DIDN'T know the identity about, and having a secondary win condition being just surviving with their spouse, even under the reign of the coven, is immensely flavorful and fits the concept of the game to a tee. My personal theory is that the host didn't anticipate everyone just blind calling out in the thread for their spouse and giving away their identity, since you pretty much aren't supposed to do that in a phalla unless you are trying to be a village figurehead.

If the game had been developed with this game model in mind, it makes perfect sense for the killers to be named in narration, because we'd have no idea who the actual player is, and the heretofore unrevealed spouse now has to carefully consider whether they want to support the village and go for a village win, or usurp the village and go for their alternate win condition. In addition, as the game goes on, this option will remain for the players, and they may flop internal loyalties several times during the game, depending how the wind blows. This game model is a really cool idea in my mind, and how I think the game works, I think we just might have mucked things up a bit by calling for spouses day 1. Of course, I could be totally off base, but I'm going to play the game based on this model.

Ultarune on
    edited June 2010
    Well, its all going to be sorted out tomorrow one way or another. It looks like Egos is going to burn tonight.

I think he'll come up innocent. You do not. Let's wait and see.

Hippie on
    edited June 2010
    I think any number of things could happen. He could come up innocent because the mafia mind controls for kills. He could come up mafia, but was deathmillered, so we think we got a mafia, but actually didn't, so we might not think they mind control, but they do, which hurts our decisions made in the future. He could be mafia but gets deathmillered to village. Or he is mafia, and got tripped up at the beginning and we get a clean mafia kill.

Egos comments about rolecalls, etc., make me lean toward him being a mafia who got caught by a narration he didn't expect to call him out by name, but any of the above outcomes are possible. We will have to wait and see.

Ultarune on
    edited June 2010

Egos comments about rolecalls, etc., make me lean toward him being a mafia who got caught by a narration he didn't expect to call him out by name, but any of the above outcomes are possible.

I really don't see what motivation I would have for seeking my wife if I was mafia...and why I would be honest about it.

Egos on
    edited June 2010
    A valid point. A mason partner is useful even to the mafia, and perhaps you thought she would aid you, I don't know, but it is a good question. Unfortunately, even if I believed you at this point, we kinda need to torch you anyway just for proof of the witches kill method, barring deathmillering of course. Man, I hope the mafia doesn't have deathmillering.

Edit: Actually, nevermind, I was thinking of the game as it has become, one where alot of identities are known because of day 1 spouse call, rather then the way I believe the game was intended, where names are unknown. As a mafia, who believed he wouldn't be named explicitly in the narration, it would absolutely make sense to search for your spouse. First off, everyone else was doing it, so you blend in, and second off, its one more person who probably wouldn't vote for you, and late game you can possibly swing them your way to ensure or expedite a mafia win. I see no logical reason not to seek your wife, using the reasoning that narrations won't name people.

Ultarune on
    edited June 2010
    In all the phallas i'v played here, not one game has had a deathmiller in it. People dont like that ability.

Could it be being used here? Of course it could.

Is it likely? No.

I obviously don't think Egos is mafia, but an this point I think he needs to burn. Just so we have some solid info to play with.

Sorry Egos :(

I still aint voting for him though.

Hippie on
    edited June 2010
    I agree with your reasoning that deathmillering is an unpopular mechanic, I certainly don't like it, I'm just afraid that the way killings were done in the historical salem witch trials, and this games central conceit, of witches having magical powers, REALLY lends itself to deathmillering.

The two biggies were torched at the stake and dunked in a lake. If the power of the devil doesn't save them from the flames/cause them to float, cleary they are innocent; if they power of the devil saves them from the flames/causes them to float, they are clearly in bed with the darklord. This made for bad times for anyone accused of witch craft in the historical salem witch trails, but in a world where those witches actually had magical powers? The coven could strip a member who will be burned/drowned of their powers/convince them to not use them for the good of the coven. Converesly, the coven could use their powers to make an innocent villager escape death at the torch/drowning, making them appear guilty.

I'm with you Hippie, I hope it isn't in the game, but if any phalla actually calls for it as an ability, its this one. Every other phalla I've seen with it, it was really awkwardly shoehorned in.

Ultarune on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ["color"=Red]Egos[/color] must die so that the village may live. May his soul rest in peace.

Also, congratulations to all of you, for making this the most interesting Day One in a while

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Either vote if you believe or don't, Hippie.

Unless a kill was guarded, think about how the game would have to be balanced with only one coven kill, what else the mafia would have to get.

I'm not voting for Egos.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ahhh, fucked up my vote, I blame all of you

egos

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ThisLand wrote: »
    I think Egos is a victum of circumstance, it was the first narrative. Simply a case of *insert name here*. But hey, what do I know?

I think thisland is on notice.

Rawkking Goodguy on
    edited June 2010
    The salem witch trials were all about sowing discontent and rumor in order to kill your enemies, making neighbor distrust neighbor, and even spouse against spouse.

It could explain why there aren't two people involved in the death of Dunadan. E.g. the narrations aren't really representative of what has happened but of the slander people spread about it.

Egos on
    edited June 2010
    with that in mind I'll go with enlightenedbum

Egos on
    edited June 2010
    I dont want to be seen voting the same as my hubby, but... I'm pointing my finger at Rawkking

ThisLand on
  • ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010

Order of resolution:

Vote
    Defensive Abilities
    Mafia Kill
    Offensive Abilities

Shushnik on
    edited June 2010
    After a bit of thought, It looks like Egos's death will reveal alot more than a simple grudge. Accept my forgiveness Rawkking... (changing my vote if that wasnt clear)

ThisLand on
    edited June 2010
    The salem witch trials were all about sowing discontent and rumor in order to kill your enemies, making neighbor distrust neighbor, and even spouse against spouse.

It could explain why there aren't two people involved in the death of Dunadan. E.g. the narrations aren't really representative of what has happened but of the slander people spread about it.

Agreed. As we've said, the mafia could well use mind control for kills, or spread rumors as a milling ability, but it still doesn't change you being our best option. We should take it at face value, at least for day 2. "There could be manipulation abilities" isn't enough reason to abandon a person explicitely named in the narration, and risk hitting a good special. Unfortunately, we learn more putting you to the torch, villager or mafia.

Ultarune on
  • EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ThisLand wrote: »

I think thisland is on notice.

In his defense, it is his first game. It's not a completely unreasonable prediction either.

Ebfan on
    edited June 2010
    Thank you Ebfan. I will not forget this.

ThisLand on
    edited June 2010
    First timers are only guaranteed day 1, this is day 2, muhahahahaha. Welcome to phalla.

Ultarune on