As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) All Night Long (NSFW)

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have taken to using my friends and classmates for models. And sadly, there are no black ladies in my entire graduating class.

Pretty shitty excuse, but I just feel so bad using other peoples photos for ref.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    wow, really? where do you go to school again?

Iruka on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I have taken to using my friends and classmates for models.

Ah, now we get to the heart of the (subject) matter.

Paradise on
  • Options
    nanthilnanthil Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    noonewantstofeedthecarn.png

nothing special, I was listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJPM-XRm5Uc and that is what came from it.

But now that I know they're saying "carnival" not "carnivore" this picture makes no sense...

Also the picture is fail. The background looks like it was done in MS paint....

nanthil on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Tired of naked ladies?

That doesn't make a lick of sense.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    GurtPerk wrote: »
    GurtPerk wrote: »
    1. What kind of base mesh head do you use? I also really enjoy your sculpts. I still remember the woman soldier holding a rifle still from a while ago.

2. How long have you used Zbrush? I also use it myself (mainly for retopologizing exisiting models) but I was thinking of starting up a thread based on my progress.

3. AoB, do you think we'll be able to make a general 3D sculpt subtopic on the forums sometime?

4. Also: I think the structure of the face you have there is good, but to appear more feminine, I would round off the forehead a bit more and smooth out the nasal labial folds.

1. I'm using a base mesh created by the CGSculpt guys. I uploaded it here for anyone who wants it

https://sites.google.com/site/chronic2oo3/basemesh_cgsculpt.obj?attredirects=0&d=1

That basemesh honestly isn't all that hot because it doesn't have proper edge loops from the nose to the mouth/chin area. I typically like to use a base mesh that's actually higher poly like in the 2-4K tri count that has perfect edge flow that doesn't need to be retopped, just reshaped on subdiv 1. Though, sometimes depending on object/character, it has to be retopped regardless and I'll start off with something more simple.

2. Speaking of retop, I don't like Zbrush for retopping because like most things Zbrush has no business having, it kind of sucks at times and is extremely limited. The best retop tool right now might be Topogun http://www.topogun.com/media/videos.htm

Another great retop/modeling tool is Max's WrapIt plugin, but it's still in beta. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-5XvqX8TQs&feature=related The awesome thing about WrapIt is it's just a Max plugin, so pretty much every hotkey and Max mod/tool can be used in junction with it. Very powerful tool that extends past just retopping meshes. I'm in the beta and it's awesome, but I can't use some of the functions properly because of another plug-in I have installed in Max that gives me Maya's viewport controls called Switcher made by dRaster. Max has a lot of like locked in code with the controls so the Switcher program just makes a few things not work. Switcher breaks some of the Pentools added in Max 2010 also, but I don't mind because I don't need either and rather it be easier for me to jump back and forth from Max and Maya because different studios and clients use either or.

I started messing with Zbrush back in 2007 but didn't really get into it until like late 2008.

3. A 3d thread would be cool if we have enough people here doing it.

4. Thanks for the tips. I'll keep those noted on my next sculpt. I'd go back and work on her, but these are just practice exercises I'm doing prepping for two bigger project ideas I have in mind. I might use some of these heads I sculpted in another idea I have though and if so then I'll go back and touch them up.

Y'know I tried using TopoGun a few times. I guess I need to read up on some tutorials, but I couldn't really sink my teeth in long enough to use it. I still find I can retopologize just fine in Zbrush, but it does seem like a useful tool.

Also, that WrapIt video is damn sexy. I've been using Max for two years so that'd be incredibly useful.

Also, I hate to be that guy but blender has had a retopo tool that like for awhile now (I want to say years). Seriously, Blender's retopo tools and uv tools are pretty great. (In fact, Roadkill, a popular UV unwrapper is based off of the blender UV unwrap code)

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Tried doing something a bit different from my normal whatever, ended up being really annoying because it feels like it took way, way too much time for what resulted.

WesternCabin_1.jpg

Started out with a rough 3d mockup to get the perspective right, printed that out, traced it on a lightbox to get a hand-drawn look, scanned and photoshop colored it. For whatever reason, whenever I try to do stuff semi-clean- not lifeless and mechanical but not sloppy Ashley Wood either- I can never pull it off and make it look good. I'm so fucking sick of being able to get to a point where it looks like it's 90% "there", but I can never, no matter how much time I spend, get that next 10% to work in the way it needs to in order to look good. :x
    WesternCabin_2.jpg

Probably should have taken the 3d version to a finish instead, probably would have been easier and looked better at the end of the day.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    An advert I started today for work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOSlGOF2LC8

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    that is amazing, bacon

totally getting a point and click adventure vibe from it

Projeck on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sweet Lighting bacon.

PROX on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok leg...I have two words for you, ker ning.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bacon, reminds me of the cabin from the movie "Dead Snow." Love the perspective on it and the details like the stuffing coming out. Well done.

On a side note there should be more movies about Nazi Zombies.

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bacon, I think you are being overly critical. It's a really awesome, thought-provoking environment. I love it!

F87 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For whatever reason, whenever I try to do stuff semi-clean- not lifeless and mechanical but not sloppy Ashley Wood either- I can never pull it off and make it look good. I'm so fucking sick of being able to get to a point where it looks like it's 90% "there", but I can never, no matter how much time I spend, get that next 10% to work in the way it needs to in order to look good. :x

Bacon, for all that whining, this does look good. It reminds me of Okami, and all of the art in that game was beautiful.

But if you want it to look more finished, you could add textures.
    Also, I don't understand that shadow next to the stove. Or is it a spill from that bucket? That is a bucket, right? You might want to clear that up.

Paradise on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mister Bacon, that's a really neat process you've got going.
    Tried doing something a bit different from my normal whatever, ended up being really annoying because it feels like it took way, way too much time for what resulted.

WesternCabin_1.jpg

Started out with a rough 3d mockup to get the perspective right, printed that out, traced it on a lightbox to get a hand-drawn look, scanned and photoshop colored it. For whatever reason, whenever I try to do stuff semi-clean- not lifeless and mechanical but not sloppy Ashley Wood either- I can never pull it off and make it look good. I'm so fucking sick of being able to get to a point where it looks like it's 90% "there", but I can never, no matter how much time I spend, get that next 10% to work in the way it needs to in order to look good. :x
    WesternCabin_2.jpg

Probably should have taken the 3d version to a finish instead, probably would have been easier and looked better at the end of the day.

also Mister Leg your flying words are very cool but feel rather stiff.
    An advert I started today for work
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOSlGOF2LC8

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A sketch I'm working on for a commission.

fairysketchscan.jpg

There are some heavy flaws around her midsection, hips, and upper legs, so I'm not proceeding until I do a few studies of those areas, which I'm doing now.

My lines are...a lot lighter in reality than they appear to be on that scan.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DDV, if by hips and upperlegs you mean her crotch, then yeah, I think you should probably check out a reference or two.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    [Edit] Yeah, crotch. Also the torso it too long.

Did you do many thumbnails before hand?

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, a few. He seems to be happy with this so far.

Luckily I'm not. I've done some more on it, and I'm getting ready to scan it in again. I'll shorten up the torso a bit. It's that oversized head. It's throwing off my proportions something fierce.

I dunno what to say about that crotch. I did what what I could with the reference I could find.

I cant seem to get as much exaggeration in the thigh as I would like. I want them to be a bit meatier. More voluptuous, I suppose. I clearly have more work to do in various places here, most notably (in my eyes) her hand...which is so squared off that she looks like she could punch out a tyrannosaurus, her arm, her belly, and her upper legs/crotch area.

Spoilered for the sake of reducing clutter
    fairysketch.jpg

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    4-5 hours in graphite.

med_gallery_1_3_33992.jpg

rts on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's awesome, Cake.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

WesternCabin_1.jpg

I actually really dig this pick. Like the tone, and color comp's.

I'm just curious as to what 3d program you used to make that mock up?

Fedora on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    as if I didn't feel bad enough about this thing, cake has to go and make the turban look like shit too

2ito27m.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Nice job with the controlled pencil strokes on the turban, cake.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So i saw an image like this on concept art and totally tried to replicate it because it was so awesome. I can't seem to find the original to post but it was close to this. I lengthened the chin a bunch.
    skull.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Thanks dudes- after some distance it's probably not as horrible as I made out, it's just frustrating how far it ended up falling short of what I had in my head.

@Fedora: The mockup was done in Maya.
    Spoilered for the sake of reducing clutter
    fairysketch.jpg

I think you've got a good start, but there are a couple things that stand out to me:

Drawover spoilered:
    DDV_construction.jpg

-The distance between the shoulders versus the distance between the hips: for a classical masculine form, you want the shoulders to be roughly as wide or wider than the hips, to create a sort of buff, top heavy look. On a female, you generally want the hips wider than the shoulders, giving a more voluptuous look. On yours, you've made the shoulders wider than the hips.

-Construction- it feels like you may not be drawing the forms out as much as you should, especially in the midsection area, where it feels very contoury. I find it really helpful to look at the butt/abs/obliques as one solid, kind of smoothed-out gumdrop shaped form, drawing across from one side of the obliques to the other, and across the bottom of the buttcheeks (cyan area in drawover). Then, I get a nice distinct hourglass shape when I intersect that gumdrop shape with the egg shape of the ribcage (orange shape in drawover)- you've sorta got an hourglass shape going on, but you don't have a clean, simple statement of form going along with it, weakening the read. Some subtle indication of the iliac crests of the pelvis might as help create a more solid, substantial feel in that area.

-Simplification- this is something I figured out by doing copies of Gil Elvgren pinups- you look at one of his paintings and at first blush it appears pretty realistic- but when you break it down into construction, you realize that it looks good because the shapes he's using are in fact, very very simple, and that any indication of musculature is usually handled with some subtle indications of tone, and almost never something that's done in contour- because you want the emphasis being on the sort of feminine gracefulness of the character, not her muscle mass like you might if you were trying to do a Frazetta Tarzan or something.

So when I look at the arm holding the paperclip, I'm seeing a bunch of details that end up working against you- you're showing off the form of the deltoid, and the bicep, and the tricep, and it's great you've done your anatomy homework, but this ends up working against the overall graceful sweep of the arm. When you go to tone, knowing that information will be useful, but it doesn't need to be so emphasized in the linework. Similarly, the lower legs have a similar problem- there's a lot of effort trying to get the anatomy right, but it ends up spoiling the read of the contour, by having too much going on. Reducing it down to "stretched sphere + tapered cylinder" and leaving it at that makes it look more confident and graceful.

Also the thigh on the front leg could probably stand to have a more obvious taper from the pelvis down to the knee, and a sharper, more obvious turn at the knee. And the head is probably pretty large if you're going for realistic proportions, but I'm guessing you're not.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Finished this on the livestream today:

thornecraw.jpg

PROX on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    THORNECRAW KING = FUCK YEAH!

r-jasper on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Starting to paint Pukio's drawing for fun,

4selna.png

Kochikens on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh man, Prox

So badass

Koch: Nice color scheme

Fugitive on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If I tried to comment on everyone's work on this page, I'd to run out of synonymns for awesome.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh wow. Thanks, Bacon!

e: I was actually going for the simple pinup look. I saw an artist on deviantart named Kinkei. She does the really cartoonish, sweepy flash pinups, and I was really trying to play with that idea, although clearly not enough. I was trying to do something a little more realistically proportioned. I was going to redo the arms in my coloring to get rid of that harsh contour, but with all the stuff you pointed out, I'm questioning whether I shouldn't just start over.

I'm glad this is for a family member. Otherwise I would be the worst artist ever.

As for the way I drew her torso/hips/crotch...wow that whole area is fucked. I guess I know what I'm going to do today, huh?

ee: You know what, I'm gonna try to correct some of that stuff.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Every time I come here I am amazed at the talent. I also lament that, as much I love drawing, I'm terrible and need to practice more.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just mucking around tonight with some modelling, compositing and animation to see what I could do in some areas I havnt tried before. Never tried compositing in Maya before, Its kinda cool :) Gosh... Yet again only 3 hours sleep tonight... so much to do gah

Also thanks moly, i smoothed some of the camera movements out in the last version, wont upload it until I find some good music though
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je3GWkmxju8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv0yjB0Jpng

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Is this reading any better?
    fairysketchscan.jpg

I'll need to move those wings I guess. I'd always intended for her to look like she's hovering. The forward movement of her legs here does that I think, though I won't say I did it on purpose.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is this reading any better?
    fairysketchscan.jpg

I'll need to move those wings I guess. I'd always intended for her to look like she's hovering. The forward movement of her legs here does that I think, though I won't say I did it on purpose.

The crop at the top is not good. You don't want to chop the top of her head off. You need to re-do it with the whole figure.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    PukioPukio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    lightningkid-3.jpg

Not sure about the color scheme so far, but DURP DURP. It goes.

Pukio on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Right. The drawing is on bristol and it's too big for my scanner. When I actually go to color it, if I ever do, I'll widen the canvas and draw that stuff back in. No worries.

And also I'll keep in mind for the future not to draw stuff bigger than my scanner.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DDV, I gotta say, that hand looks awkward. Are you sure you can't have her holding the paper clip by her thumb and forefinger?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    PROX wrote: »
    thornecraw.jpg

Prox, this turned out awesome.
    cakemikz wrote: »
    med_gallery_1_3_33992.jpg
    Tam wrote: »
    2ito27m.jpg
    So i saw an image like this on concept art and totally tried to replicate it because it was so awesome. I can't seem to find the original to post but it was close to this. I lengthened the chin a bunch.
    skull.jpg
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Starting to paint Pukio's drawing for fun,

4selna.png
    Pukio wrote: »
    lightningkid-3.jpg

Paradise on
This discussion has been closed.