As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New iPhone leaked

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    maybe, but the curved brush aluminum back is what gets me

never really liked that particular piece of apple design. it looks alright, but... well the back of the new iphone is an improvement, I think

Vann Diras on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Air wrote: »
    ah i just got something
    theres plenty of programs that can do it but its silly not to have a document syncing thing in itunes
    especially when the phone is able to handle the files

so the alternative is trying to work out which is the best of a shitload of options and having to use some strange workaround to get files on there

the iPad and iPhones with OS4 support filetransfers via iTunes. you just drag in files to the application you want to use them in.

but the best way to get files onto it is probably Dropbox.

Monoxide on
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think a huge, flat glass surface that you spend chunks of time with your hand on would lead to a sweaty hand. It's not really a problem with the iphone since (in my last couple minutes of observing a few people) you don't really place your hand on the back but grip it by the sides.

I like the current design of the iPad, the curvedness is comfy in my hand; it seems a bit more ergonomic than a huge piece of glass.

potatoe on
    edited June 2010
    potatoe wrote: »
    I think a huge, flat glass surface that you spend chunks of time with your hand on would lead to a sweaty hand. It's not really a problem with the iphone since (in my last couple minutes of observing a few people) you don't really place your hand on the back but grip it by the sides.

I like the current design of the iPad, the curvedness is comfy in my hand; it seems a bit more ergonomic than a huge piece of glass.

this is probably true

about moving files on and off the device... so you use dropbox as a method of syncing documents onto the device. can you edit them, then plop them into dropbox again?

Vann Diras on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can export documents from Dropbox to Pages in iWork but you can't get them back into Dropbox.

Right now document syncing and editing is a limitation that's been noted in a lot of reviews. It's very difficult to start a document on your computer, get it on your iPad, continue working on it and then syncing the changes with every other iteration of the same file on your other devices.

Sarksus on
    edited June 2010
    crossing my arms and frowning
    i don't intend to use the thing for document editing, but that is still a silly limitation

Vann Diras on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    yeah, there's been a lot of complaints about how Apple's Pages, Numbers, etc all handle file syncing. They really, really need a better solution. Being able to send a document back to Dropbox after editing it would be really nice. Can you access Google Docs from an iPad and have it be functional? Cause that would be an okay half-way solution.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    yeah, there's been a lot of complaints about how Apple's Pages, Numbers, etc all handle file syncing. They really, really need a better solution. Being able to send a document back to Dropbox after editing it would be really nice. Can you access Google Docs from an iPad and have it be functional? Cause that would be an okay half-way solution.

I think it works, yeah. I can't confirm that everything is 100% working, but I've viewed stuff in google docs before without any issues.

The current solution with editing stuff is Email or Dropbox to get them on the device, open it in Pages, then email it to yourself to pick up the new copy on the desktop. It's a pretty crappy roundabout solution, but it works until something better comes up. The alternative is just using the iTunes File Management, which requires you to plug in the device to put the file on and then plug it in again to get the file off, which is way worse than dropbox->email in my opinion.

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    which is fucking ridiculous in this day and aaaage for something as basic as basic documents

Oh and apparently they really want to do wireless syncing but they wanna make sure it's done right, so that's at least in the pipe, eventually

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2010
    which is fucking ridiculous in this day and aaaage for something as basic as basic documents

Oh and apparently they really want to do wireless syncing but they wanna make sure it's done right, so that's at least in the pipe, eventually

yeah, I think most people are expecting it as a part of the Free MobileMe/iTunes.com/iWork.com triple-threat, or at least soon after those things launch.

I don't think wireless syncing or file management will get much better before OS5 (unless the iPad gets it first with its fall OS4.x update), but we can at least hope that Apple's apps get updated to support some kind of better solution than this, maybe as soon as they're released for iPhone.

I think Dropbox are working at making themselves the best interim solution. If they at least make Dropbox an "Open With..." app for most document types, you could use that functionality to "Open With Dropbox" and have it save/upload/sync.

Monoxide on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Apple is doing pretty well in their war on buttons; their next aim* should be a war on ports. Wireless syncing is already viable; wireless charging (whether by that TED-method- induction charging or whatever, or that thing that harvests ambient wifi signals) is coming up within years. I imagine Steve Jobs would love the idea of a device with no ports or buttons.

*by "next aim" I mean, after they fix basic shit like document syncing.

KalTorak on
    edited June 2010
    if anything, those programs should be functioning like evernote: constant scheduled syncing as you work to an account you setup (or your itunes account) that you can access anywhere

Vann Diras on
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Goddammit I really want the Evo but now I'm scared of the shitty battery life. I'm using the Sprint Instinct and don't really want to change services, seeing as switching to AT&T to get the new iphone will cost me about $500 after all is said and done, as opposed to $200 for the Evo.

Should I pony up the extra $50 and get a larger capacity battery (20% more power, reportedly)?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited June 2010
    Well that's one of the rumored updates to MobileMe.

I wouldn't mind getting MobileMe for free, I had a jailbreak version of the Find My Phone that was really cool, could log your GPS location after you sent your phone a text with a command like "Track Me" and could even silently/remotely record audio from it's mic and email it to an address you specified.

Abracadaniel on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Goddammit I really want the Evo but now I'm scared of the shitty battery life. I'm using the Sprint Instinct and don't really want to change services, seeing as switching to AT&T to get the new iphone will cost me about $500 after all is said and done, as opposed to $200 for the Evo.

Should I pony up the extra $50 and get a larger capacity battery (20% more power, reportedly)?

At least the EVO has a user-replacable battery (so I hear).

KalTorak on
    edited June 2010
    Well that's one of the rumored updates to MobileMe.

I wouldn't mind getting MobileMe for free, I had a jailbreak version of the Find My Phone that was really cool, could log your GPS location after you sent your phone a text with a command like "Track Me" and could even silently/remotely record audio from it's mic and email it to an address you specified.

I guess I'll have to look up MobileMe, I haven't a clue what it is

haha apple what is that even

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

You're right, as opposed to the iPhone's battery that needs to be replaced by apple customer service. That's definitely a plus on the Evo column.

I just don't want to have to carry a power cable with me wherever I go. My girlfriend's droid battery gets randomly low so she carries a charger in her purse so when we're at a restaurant or bar, she sits close to a wall so she can charge her battery while we eat/drink.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

You're right, as opposed to the iPhone's battery that needs to be replaced by apple customer service. That's definitely a plus on the Evo column.

I just don't want to have to carry a power cable with me wherever I go. My girlfriend's droid battery gets randomly low so she carries a charger in her purse so when we're at a restaurant or bar, she sits close to a wall so she can charge her battery while we eat/drink.

i have never had this sort of trouble with my mytouch 3g. I mean obviously it has a lot less powerful hardware to drain the battery, but man the thing typically lasts me 2 days of use at least.

the idea of having to carry a cord for your phone to charge is nutty to me

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2010
    I think the evo's battery life really depends on how you use it.

Do you live in an area with 4G coverage? Do you plan on using the 4G?

Do you not mind that you're going to constantly have to remember to turn the 4G off after using it or you'll risk having your phone die on you?

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    Well I'm in Chicago so I'll most likely be using 4G. I'll turn off the GPS when I'm not using it, and I probably won't have an animated wallpaper.

Fortunately I work with a computer all day everyday so I can leave it plugged into my laptop to charge. Nights out might get tricky, but I probably won't be doing much with my phone if I'm out at the bar.

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I don't really know how bad the battery life is under normal usage. I'm in the same boat, and was considering going with the Evo but decided to stick with the iPhone for now.

I think the biggest thing for me is that I already sometimes run into battery life issues on my iPhone 3G. I don't want to upgrade my phone to one that's even less convenient to use. It might be faster, but really when you're talking about speed, you're talking about convenience. Is it going to be less convenient to wait an extra few seconds for a pageload, or less convenient to have to worry about my usage effecting battery life? Some people would rather have the quick pageloads, but I'd rather have more reliability than a slightly faster connection.

Monoxide on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I figure as long as my phone consistently lasts at least one day, even with fairly heavy use, I'd probably want to see improvements beyond that point in webpage loading.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They should have an intelligent use of 4g. When just doing push updates or behind the scenes stuff have it stick with the lower power usage of 3g. If you stream media or go onto the net it should switch to 4g mode while that app is running then turn back off once you close it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited June 2010
    ahahahaha what the hell

MobileMe costs one hundred bucks a year for basic things like calender, e-mail and contact syncing? sure the tracking and remote wipe is neat, but also things I can do on my phone for much less

there is no way in heaven I would pay anything for syncing contacts and calender, that should absolutely be free

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2010
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    ahahahaha what the hell

MobileMe costs one hundred bucks a year for basic things like calender, e-mail and contact syncing? sure the tracking and remote wipe is neat, but also things I can do on my phone for much less

there is no way in heaven I would pay anything for syncing contacts and calender, that should absolutely be free

if you set up your gmail account properly it will sync your phone/gmail Contacts, plus calendars and such, all for free

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2010
    Septus wrote: »
    I figure as long as my phone consistently lasts at least one day, even with fairly heavy use, I'd probably want to see improvements beyond that point in webpage loading.

That's the thing though. With my iPhone 3G, I barely get a day's use with heavy usage. With the Evo 4G, it's been reported to be as bad as six hours from 100% to dead.

There are a bunch of ways to improve upon the battery life, from making auto-sync apps do so less frequently, to only turning on the GPS and 4G when you're using them, but I don't really want to treat my cell phone like a pet that I have to constantly look after to make sure I didn't accidentally leave something on that could render it useless for the rest of the day.

plus turning on and off radios on the phone takes time, and I'd bet turning on the 4G, finding a signal, going to a webpage, and turning off the 4G is slower than just loading the page on a 3G connection.

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    ahahahaha what the hell

if you set up your gmail account properly it will sync your phone/gmail Contacts, plus calendars and such, all for free

praise the lord for gmail

Vann Diras on
    edited June 2010
    ahahahaha what the hell

that's why mobileme is rumored to be changing to a free service when all of these theoretical wireless syncing/cloud changes are implemented

and there are parts of mobileme that are worth it as a paid service. iDisk was around way before free alternatives like DropBox, and web hosting usually costs money too. Find My iPhone like services cost money too. MobileMe is a relic of a time when people paid for these things, it just hasn't been brought up to date yet presumably because the infrastructure (read: apple's billion dollar data complex) wasn't finished yet.

Monoxide on
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey. I met the Guitar Hero guy from the keynote. That's cool.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
    edited June 2010
    Tried to install the Firefox Fennec Android pre-alpha today and it murdered my phone beyond use. Had to wipe everything and reinstall the OS...that was fun.

I think I'll wait a while before I try that again.

potatoe on
    edited June 2010
    So hey, if you bought a 3GS recently (May 7 - June 7) you can trade it in towards the purchase of an iPhone 4.

http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/713613-exclusive-t-offer-cash-back-recent-3gs-buyers.html

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2010
    I don't understand that post. Nowhere in that memo does it say you can exchange a new phone and get the entire purchase price subtracted from the cost of the i4.

Those credits are pretty meager. You'd get much more if you sold it on Ebay or even if you went through a service like Gazelle.

Sarksus on
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I don't understand that post. Nowhere in that memo does it say you can exchange a new phone and get the entire purchase price subtracted from the cost of the i4.

Those credits are pretty meager. You'd get much more if you sold it on Ebay or even if you went through a service like Gazelle.

uh, it says you can trade in the phone and get the i4 for $50 (16GB) or $100 (32GB)

this is compared to $500/$600 for unlocked phones because AT&T isn't going to give you an upgrade discount on a contract that has almost two full years remaining

seems like a good deal to me

Monoxide on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seems reasonable for a "I knew WWDC was coming and I still bought a 3GS" tax.

Faricazy on
    edited June 2010

Do you have a brain problem?

Abracadaniel on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

uh, it says you can trade in the phone and get the i4 for $50 (16GB) or $100 (32GB)

this is compared to $500/$600 for unlocked phones because AT&T isn't going to give you an upgrade discount on a contract that has almost two full years remaining

seems like a good deal to me
    Wait, no it doesn't.
    The Price Protection Credit applied to the customer’s account will equal:
    $50 for the 3GS 16GB
    $100 for the 3GS 32GB

That's CREDIT, not cost.

Faricazy on
    edited June 2010
    oh

well

$150 for the 16GB and $200 for the 32GB then

it's still waiving your two year contract you just signed without charging the $350 ETF, unless that credit is actually toward the cost of an unlocked iPhone

Monoxide on
    edited June 2010
    A customer who purchased iPhone 3G/3GS through a Local Dealer from May 7, 2010 until June 7, 2010, who would like to exchange it for iPhone 4 and pay the price difference, will be able to do so.

Abracadaniel on
    edited June 2010
    My point is, why would I want to give them the 3GS for $50 or $100 when I could put it on Ebay and get about as much as I paid for it (or more) depending on whether I bought the phone for $199 or $299 or the unsubsidized price.

And you just said AT&T isn't going to give you an upgrade discount on a contract that has almost two full years remaining so you should be paying the unsubsidized cost for the i4. Even if you aren't though, putting it on Ebay still nets you more cash. That's all this program does. It gives you a small credit towards the i4. Even if you didn't take advantage of the program you can still buy the new i4 at an unsubsidized cost and make it your phone. They wouldn't charge an ETF for that.

Edit: That portion is vague. Does it mean if you trade in a 16GB and buy a 32GB or does it mean the difference minus the credit you just received? Regardless, that still doesn't change the fact that if your phone isn't new enough to qualify for this apparent straight exchange the credit is a bad deal.

Sarksus on
    edited June 2010
    If you bought a 3GS and want to keep it, they will credit you the difference in price ($50 or $100) to your account.
    It's just a simple price-matching plan, plus the option to trade in (a new one?) for full price towards a new iPhone4.

potatoe on
This discussion has been closed.