As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [GNU/Linux] thread, where 'Windows' is always spelled properly.

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can't believe I forgot UT2k4. First game I played on linux. *Sniff* Memories.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is tangental to Linux, but I got a letter published in my paper back home suggesting that the government mandate that all "digital lock" (a.k.a DRM) be based on open source technology.

Society should hold the key to the methods of access to our media.

http://infinityos.net/node/47
    http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2616726

I don't see the benefit. And your justification as to why media should never be free is both wrong and short sighted.

DRM becomes trivial to break, but makes the penalty for doing something so trivial more extreme. In such a case, everyone loses - the public is screwed even further, the publishers get no further reliable technological (as opposed to legal) control over the distribution of media.

Terrible idea.

Plus PGP doesn't really lend itself to such a system. How woul it work? Is the media encrypted to a specific key for each user? If so, that provides a lot of overhead, and means that data cannot be exchanges via bittorrent, eliminating an alleged incentive of your system and OS. On the other hand, if it's simply encrypted to a whole bunch of public keys to whch private keys are then distributed, then that means that it can be untraceably broken - pgp encrypts a session key to the public key, encrypting whole files to 2048 bit keys is far too computationally expensive. But this means that someone could simply distribute the session key. And that's ignoring the fact that by definition pgp encrypted files can simply be decrypted and distributed in plaintext.

As things stand it's simply not a workable idea and lacks any advantages (well other than ensuring that drm doesn't work. Which I do indeed support).

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aridhol wrote: »
    J
    Themes! Never had luck with themes. I'm looking for complete overhauls, not just window borders and buttons.

Gnome?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Seeks wrote: »
    Alright folks, just added a small games section to the OP.

Anyone have some suggestions for games I should add? Commercial, open-source, whatever... as long as it's a good game. None of that Tuxracer bullshit.

Pretty sure On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness games run on Linux.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    darkphoenix22darkphoenix22 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    As things stand it's simply not a workable idea and lacks any advantages (well other than ensuring that drm doesn't work. Which I do indeed support).

It's just a plain extension of copyright into the digital realm.

It doesn't take away any rights, nor does it give any away.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rhythmbox will read music off the iPhone, play it directly off the iPhone, and copy it to whereever you want, but with wierd filenames, so you'll need to use easytag or something (this is on stock Lucid). I don't know if it can upload stuff to the iPhone as I haven't tried.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tinche wrote: »
    Rhythmbox will read music off the iPhone, play it directly off the iPhone, and copy it to whereever you want, but with wierd filenames, so you'll need to use easytag or something (this is on stock Lucid). I don't know if it can upload stuff to the iPhone as I haven't tried.

I doubt it. The iPhone has a weird database structure, which I don't think has been hacked yet.

Plain access to the filesystem will give you access to the songs already on it, but to add songs you'll need to access the database.

*Shakes fist at Apple for making it so needlessly complicated*

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I put Linux on my newly aquired DS. I have no idea what to do with that.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Copyright already exists in the digital realm; the medium doesn't matter.
    I prefer Kupfer when it comes to launchers. I can basically copy, cut, and paste files from one folder to the other without starting up my file manager. And it's incredibly lightweight. :)
    The only thing that really annoys me about is if I have one terminal open and I want to launch a second one, it just switches to the first one. Is there a way to change that?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Copyright already exists in the digital realm; the medium doesn't matter.

But can it even be enforced as is?

Vote to add hardware video acceleration (via VA-API) to Flash on Linux.

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-3146

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Visti wrote: »

Wait. DS, as in Nintendo DS?

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Alright folks, just added a small games section to the OP.

Anyone have some suggestions for games I should add? Commercial, open-source, whatever... as long as it's a good game. None of that Tuxracer bullshit.

Pretty sure On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness games run on Linux.

Oooooh yeah.

I always sort of dismiss the series in my head, since I know it isn't getting finished.... which sucks because I really liked the demo, but I can't bring myself to get financially invested in 2/3 of a trilogy when there will never be a third.

Edit: Oh, I guess there were supposed to be four. Well, same dif.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Flash needs to die in a fire.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/64bit.html
    The Flash Player 10.1 64-bit Linux beta is closed. We remain committed to delivering 64-bit support in a future release of Flash Player. No further information is available at this time.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tinche wrote: »

I doubt it. The iPhone has a weird database structure, which I don't think has been hacked yet.

Plain access to the filesystem will give you access to the songs already on it, but to add songs you'll need to access the database.

*Shakes fist at Apple for making it so needlessly complicated*

That's unfortunate yet somehow not unexpected.

Tinche on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    See, I don't get the Flash hate. I can see being a little annoyed at some things, but it's functional, universal, and Adobe's done more for linux Flash than a lot of other companies would have.

It could be worse... it could be Silverlight.

Edit:

Shit, I misread that. Okay, yeah, I can see being pissed at Adobe now.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Seeks wrote:
    See, I don't get the Flash hate. I can see being a little annoyed at some things, but it's functional, universal, and Adobe's done more for linux Flash than a lot of other companies would have.

It could be worse... it could be Silverlight.

Edit:

Shit, I misread that. Okay, yeah, I can see being pissed at Adobe now.

Adobe's Linux support is practically the embodiment of the term "too little, too late."

Monoxide on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

If you lack a slot-2 ram extension, then not much. You can run a bunch of things on it if you do have one, though. Links/Retawq, irssi, and interactive fiction interpreters come to mind.

Sadly, due to the hardware's limitations, anything internet related will require you to use a wifi signal that's either unencrypted, or uses WEP.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's even worse because the 32-bit version of Flash is much, much more unstable than the 64-bit alpha/beta. It's not a matter of if it will crash, but when. If you opened a page with lots of Flash bits embedded (like The Daily Show's site...at least as of sometime last year) it was all but guaranteed to crash. Casually browsing Youtube was like playing Russian roulette. It was bad enough that I used a separate browser just for viewing Flash content (I always blocked Flash in Firefox). The plugin's instability wasn't just in Firefox. Every browser I tried had the same problem, but before Chrome came along Opera handled it the best (yet eventually it would fuck up Opera's plugin wrapper).

The testing versions of 64-bit Flash, on the other hand, were wonderful from a stability standpoint. Since February I have had it crash once.
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Adobe's Linux support is practically the embodiment of the term "too little, too late."
    We didn't even get Flash 8. Many sites were broken.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Flash always crashes for me in Chrome if there are several flash elements in a web page. At least it's smooth and works as intended, while in Opera not everything works as it should, even if it's way more stable.

This is with an Intel Atom netbook, though.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    J
    Themes! Never had luck with themes. I'm looking for complete overhauls, not just window borders and buttons.

Gnome?

Yep, gnome.

I have been to the gnome-look page but I guess I am just looking for a resource with complete overhaul themes and an easy way to manage it.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Huh, guess I've always just been really lucky with Flash or something.

In other news, Patrick Norton just tweeted this link:

http://www.korben.info/lire-bluray-linux.html

Bluray playback now in linux. The site's french, but that didn't stop me from grabbing the source code (64-bit .deb download link was broken).

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It is no such thing. The punishment you advocate are only tangentially related to copyright, distributing a private key is not like distributing content, it's only under our proposed system that any link to copyright can be drawn. You might argue that it's an expansion of the DCMA. But that' a stretch because no circumvention is involved, and Canada isn't subject to the DCMA.

Not to mention preventing the distribution of large numbers is even more nonsensical than the css fiasco of about a decade ago.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

It is no such thing. The punishment you advocate are only tangentially related to copyright, distributing a private key is not like distributing content, it's only under our proposed system that any link to copyright can be drawn. You might argue that it's an expansion of the DCMA. But that' a stretch because no circumvention is involved, and Canada isn't subject to the DCMA.

Not to mention preventing the distribution of large numbers is even more nonsensical than the css fiasco of about a decade ago.

Distributing the key will be like distributing the license and the rights provided by it. And they are trying to ram through a DMCA style bill right now in Canada (Bill C-32).

In order for legit P2P to be viable, we will have to separate the contract from the content itself. This way you can freely distribute the media without distributing the rights granted by the contract.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Huh, guess I've always just been really lucky with Flash or something.

In other news, Patrick Norton just tweeted this link:

http://www.korben.info/lire-bluray-linux.html

Bluray playback now in linux. The site's french, but that didn't stop me from grabbing the source code (64-bit .deb download link was broken).

Does it work, though?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No idea, I don't have a blu-ray drive. Haha.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think that just decrypts it.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zampanov wrote: »

Wait. DS, as in Nintendo DS?

Yeah! It's limited by the fact that the DS has.. 6(?) mb of RAM, but there's a terminal with a soft keyboard running and I guess it works as a proof of concept. I should try setting up wi-fi..
    J

Gnome?

Yep, gnome.

I have been to the gnome-look page but I guess I am just looking for a resource with complete overhaul themes and an easy way to manage it.

What do you mean by complete overhaul? I don't think there's a lot of those around. I usually just get every bit so that it matches. Window decorations, icons and color schemes are basically what's gonna matter in Gnome, right?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Distributing the key will be like distributing the license and the rights provided by it. And they are trying to ram through a DMCA style bill right now in Canada (Bill C-32).

In order for legit P2P to be viable, we will have to separate the contract from the content itself. This way you can freely distribute the media without distributing the rights granted by the contract.

In other words, it needs to be easy for users to pirate. This is where it fails for the content providers.
    This is balanced by making it easy for the content providers to burn offenders. This is where it fails for the users.

I remain dubious that this (or anything else) is a satisfactory solution for both sides.

Frem on
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Another Issue I encountered. Samba isn't started at bootup which is very annoying. I can start the service myself, but this isn't how it used to be. Ubuntu switched the startup/job implimentation and I am at a loss where to search. And the googles do nothing. Maybe I have to add the command "start smbd" in the rc.local... Hm...

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Go to Startup Applications?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can use 'man upstart' as your starting point for research. Here is the blog of the main Upstart architect if you're interested in knowing more.

According to this link, adding an entry to Startup Applications will start a program when you start a session - i.e. log on (graphically? not sure if it'll trigger on SSH access). This is probably not what you want with Samba - most likely you want it to start even if no one logs in.

On my Ubuntu box it just works, maybe you can try removing it and reinstalling it? if it's any help to you, my /etc/init/smbd.conf looks like this:
    description "SMB/CIFS File Server"
    author      "Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@ubuntu.com>"

start on local-filesystems
    stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

pre-start script
            RUN_MODE="daemons"

[ -r /etc/default/samba ] && . /etc/default/samba

[ "$RUN_MODE" = inetd ] && { stop; exit 0; }

install -o root -g root -m 755 -d /var/run/samba
    end script

exec smbd -F

Tinche on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    In other words, it needs to be easy for users to pirate. This is where it fails for the content providers.
    This is balanced by making it easy for the content providers to burn offenders. This is where it fails for the users.

I remain dubious that this (or anything else) is a satisfactory solution for both sides.

It can't be any worse than the existing system. And it essentially gives both sides what they want.

I agree with the idea that closed digital locks are inherently pointless. Closed digital locks all rely on the assumption that users will never get access to the keys.

But we do...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/HD_DVD_Night_Digg_Frontpage_before_rose_blog_post_screenshot.png

So why not just give the keys away in the first place (ala PGP) and restrict their unauthorized publication through the law? Distributing the key would be like distributing the license and the rights provided by it. There would be no real fair use argument for publicily distributing these keys, like there would be for distributing the content, making these laws much simpler and easier to enforce.

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, amongst other things it would require a huge amount of overhead, be comparatively trivial to simply decrypt the whole thing and distribute that instead and not like distributing licenses at all, except by metaphorical extension within your proposed system. How would the keys work? Does everyone have individual keys? How is the actual content encrypted? Is there a DRM payload that you get encrypted to your public key and then download when you make your purchase? How is the ability to transfer the content maintained while using the public key encryption scheme?

It clearly is worse than the existing system and doesn't give both sides what they want in any way shape or form (though my position is fuck the RIAA/MPAA side and what they want) as Frem has pointed out. In addition to which, I don't think you have a handle on what either side wants in general, and most certainly not what the consumer wants. Because they do not want DRM.

Plus, anything which expands the realm of what people are not allowed to say or transfer is not an improvement.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Each key will be verified with a keyserver on authentication. The authentication will just be a log-in (ala iTunes). The keychain could be synced with other devices. Any privacy concerns (or additional overhead caused by the encryption/decryption) are shared by any other digital content service, like iTunes, Xbox Live, and NetFlix.

This system will not restrict what devices you can use the content on (as long as they implement the open system) and will not restrict backing up or copying the content. How exactly does it restrict you, the user?

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Alright guys... do any of you know of a program that'll let you (simply) make comic strips from a number of images?

Something that lets you just select 2,3,4,9, however many images and combines them all into one image file that looks like a comic strip with panels, or a page from a comic book if there are enough images.

I know the Gimp would work, but I've got a friend who's not too into computers that's putting this stuff together, and I'm thinking that the Gimp might be a bit too much for him. Currently he just uses some feature that photobucket has to do it, but the images aren't high enough resolution for his liking.

If it's cross-platform, all the better, since he's actually using Windows (but I'm also curious myself).

Edit:

So far I've found Komixo, but it's far from perfect. First of all, you have to install Adobe AIR, which is even more fun than normal for me since it's 32-bit only. Second of all, it doesn't work, which is a pretty big flaw. Maybe the windows/mac versions are better.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pixon, a web service, might do what you want.

http://pixton.com/

darkphoenix22 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ah, well, I'm leery of online services since... honestly, I just don't trust third-parties that much. He may have to resort to that (in fact it's what he already does) however, since I don't think it's going to get much easier than the gimp.

It's too bad Komixo doesn't work for me, because it seems like it would do exactly what I want. I might still recommend it to him anyway.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Samba problem: Okay I figured out the problem while searching through the daemon.log. Samba is trying to set up a guest account but can't and it tries to get a list of printers but there are none installed on my system. Apparently during startup it kills itself, or gets killed, respawns and then gets terminated by whatever process which supervises the boot, after a few tries.

So, I had to disable the guestacc in sambas config file and disabled printing in samba. (I really had to hit Samba over the head to disable this one with 4 seperate settings)

Now Samba would start, but the service was still not reachable by other PCs. I had to add a restart command in the rc.local - a sollution I am not happy with, bu at least it works. Plus, my boottime is three times faster now :)

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    krushkrush Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so, updated to the latest Mandriva distro over the weekend.

Is it so hard for these distros to install the kernel sources by default??? That's always been a peeve of mine with a lot of distros over the years. Automount didn't want to mount my DVD when I dropped it into the drive, had to do it manually (a first, for many years Mandriva/Mandrake always mounted a disc once inserted). When trying to install the package, the software updater DEMANDED that I install a bunch of RPM-related updates that I simply didn't want right then. Couldn't get around it at all. At least the Nvidia driver install went well after that.

OpenGL screensavers don't seem to want to work while I have all of the desktop goodies turned on either.

I still like KDE 2.x over 4. Thankfully, I like Fluxbox a lot, so that'll get setup the way I like it later tonight.

krush on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    krush wrote: »
    Is it so hard for these distros to install the kernel sources by default??? That's always been a peeve of mine with a lot of distros over the years. Automount didn't want to mount my DVD when I dropped it into the drive, had to do it manually (a first, for many years Mandriva/Mandrake always mounted a disc once inserted). When trying to install the package, the software updater DEMANDED that I install a bunch of RPM-related updates that I simply didn't want right then. Couldn't get around it at all. At least the Nvidia driver install went well after that.

I think Ubuntu installs the kernel sources without updating everything else if you install the driver using Jockey/Hardware Drivers.

darkphoenix22 on