As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Tabletop Tournament Plans

PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Ok, so the final plans for tournaments are:

(drum roll please)

Friday-
1100 - 1730 - Ticket to Ride
1130 - 1800 - Dominion
1200 - 1830 - Puerto Rico
1230 - 1900 - Carcassone
2200 - ?? - Friday Night Frenzy

Saturday-
1100 - 1730 - Race for the Galaxy
1130 - 1800 - Dominion
1200 - 1830 - Robo Rally
1230 - 1900 - Pandemic
2200 - ?? - Saturday Night Showdown

Sunday-
1100 - 1730 - Smallworld
1130 - 1800 - Dominion
1200 - 1800 - Munchkin

Good times will be had by many!

As for Pandemic, here are the rules I'm toying around with at the moment:

Pandemic Tournament:

Rounds:
There will be three rounds total with each round becoming progressively harder (4 stacks, 5 stacks, 6 stacks). At the end of the round teams are awarded points based on performance (see below). At the end of each round every individual is awarded tournament points based on how well their team did that round (see below).

Teams:
If a full team of four signs up to play they can choose to play as a team in the first round or in the final round, but they will be split up at random for at least two rounds. All non-team participants will be randomly assigned to a table for play.

Hand:
In the first round of the tournament, teams will play with their hands revealed to each other to make strategy easier. In the remaining rounds, the hands will be CLOSED, so you will need to communicate well with your teammates to succeed.

The Deck:
The deck will be created normally in each round.

Team Scoring:
Team points scored based on the following factors: a win (20pts), number of cures (10 points each), number of outbreaks (-5 points each), cubes (1 point each).
• In a win, the cards in the player draw pile (1 point each).
• In a loss, the more cards USED, equals a better game, so count those used (in hands and in discard pile). One point for each cube left (off the board) with a maximum of 40 points for cubes.

Summary:
• Win = 20 points
• Cures = 10 points each
• Cards* = 1 point each
• Cubes** = 1 point each (max 40 in loss)
• Outbreaks = (-5) points each

*If a WIN: count # of player cards left undrawn in stack
If a LOSS: count # of player cards drawn from stack
**Win or Loss: count # cubes left in supplies (not on board)
Maximum 40 points allowed for cubes in a loss.

Individual Scoring:

All players are assigned tournament points:
Highest scoring game = each player gains 1 tournament point for each game played in the round
2nd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-1
3rd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-2
4th highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-3
And so on until the lowest scoring team earns 1 point

Players with highest tournament points at the end of 3 rounds of play win the tournament.

Settlers of Catan is likely going to be run by the Mayfair folks, so that tournament is no longer on my schedule.

signature.png
PucSpifo on

• Options
    Weenog42Weenog42 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Race for the Galaxy.

Weenog42 on
  • Options
    Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ticket to Ride and smallworld

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warhammer Fantasy

I'd hate to see the round basers have all the fun.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just a clarification, do TCGs like Magic count as tabletop games or are those different?

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    xcomxcom Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    What about Warmachine/Hordes? I saw a post on the Privateer Press (people who make the game) saying they will be a PAX this year. I've also seen several references to "PAX qualifier" events on the Privateer Press website.

EDIT:
    Found the website about the Privateer Press Qualifier Event. I hope this is just some special event planned on top any normal open Warmachine/Hordes event.

xcom on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm a big 'Chaos in the Old World' tournament fan, and have been dying to try out 'Twilight Imperium' (though from what I know of TI, it may not be the best for tournaments).

EDIT: PS - Tangentially related, but do we know if Warhorn is doing registrations for DnD and the like?

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ticket to Ride! Either US or Europe...

Masquerade78 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    susan wrote: »
    I'm a big 'Chaos in the Old World' tournament fan, and have been dying to try out 'Twilight Imperium' (though from what I know of TI, it may not be the best for tournaments).

EDIT: PS - Tangentially related, but do we know if Warhorn is doing registrations for DnD and the like?

A 6 player TI game would take 5+ hours at least. I ran one the other day and it took 9 hours (though it was our first time).

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    xcom wrote: »
    What about Warmachine/Hordes? I saw a post on the Privateer Press (people who make the game) saying they will be a PAX this year. I've also seen several references to "PAX qualifier" events on the Privateer Press website.

EDIT:
    Found the website about the Privateer Press Qualifier Event. I hope this is just some special event planned on top any normal open Warmachine/Hordes event.

Privateer Press does their own thing, and any event planned by us or event staff would be stepping on their toes.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not sure if this actually needs fixing or not, but it would be cool to have an easy way to locate games looking for players. 99% of the solutions I could think of for this would just overly complicate things, but if space allows, maybe have a defined area where people can just walk over, hold the box of a game above their head, and wait for players to approach. Tape a circle onto the floor, hang a sign or two explaining the three-step process, and just hope it doesn't turn into a human traffic congestion disaster area.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Updated original post with requests list.

To answer some questions:
    Privateer Press does their own thing, we will not be scheduling anything for them. For details check out their website.

Wizards of the Coast also does their own thing, so we don't schedule D&D or Magic. As far as I know registration is still through Warhorn, but I haven't had any definitive information on that, so DO NOT QUOTE ME.

And yes, TCGs/CCGs count as tabletop games, so suggest away!

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    TenaciousGGTenaciousGG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A Pokemon TCG Tournament, if there isn't already an official one underway (or if just to hold an unofficial one for casual TCGers)?

TenaciousGG on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm in for dominion and and chaos in the old world as well

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    chrisstiechrisstie Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Carcassonne and/or Flux would be rad :)

chrisstie on
  • Options
    TenaciousGGTenaciousGG Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    chrisstie wrote: »
    Carcassonne and/or Flux would be rad :)

Okay, I'm backing both of these suggestions. I'm probably bringing my own Fluxx set, as well. 8-)

TenaciousGG on
  • Options
    treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    A Pokemon TCG Tournament, if there isn't already an official one underway (or if just to hold an unofficial one for casual TCGers)?

I ran a small pokemon tcg tournament last year at PAX Prime (about 5-7 people showed can't recall exactly) but i organized it at the last minute, likely gonna try to run one again this year, gotta lot of details i need to figure out first though

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Around how long would you want the games to last?

Also Revolution is a great game, would be nice for this.

Gene Parmesan on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As for Pokemon, it is a possibility, but I have read here that some folks are trying to put together their own event. As a community run con, we try not to organize events and step on the toes of our guests.

The other big consideration that I have is the availability of copies. If I only have one or two copies of a game it makes it pretty much impossible to run.

As for time frame, I don't mind games that run from open to close, but we try to keep everything at 6 hours or less.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Citadels was fun and fast
    And I second Race for the Galaxy

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Local game stores and publishers will be at PAX Prime again. WotC is going to have a big presence, Mayfair Games, SJ Games, Cardhaus Games, The Dreaming and Games & Gizmos all are making an appearance.
    Keep posted to this thread for more updates.
    We also have a PAX_TT Twitter feed, so #PAX_TT and see what we are up to.
    Thanks for all your support over the years!
    CFK
    "Father Fletch"

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    -Race for the Galaxy
    -Ticket To Ride

Thanks!

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    e_clipse_clips Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd say small world and race for the galaxy. twilight imperium would be nice but that game is long. I love the game but for a turrny it would be rough to run. also do you need copys of any games? I own a lot on the list and will be willing to loan my copy of dominion and puerto rico out. this would be the third time I've loaned puerto rico for the turrny ;)

e_clips on
    Baron+Etori.png
  • Options
    kuratowskikuratowski Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Race for the Galaxy. Ideally with all expansions.

kuratowski on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anybody know if they'll have the game rental room again??
    That was AWSOME last year. My friend and I found so many cool new (to us at least) games in there last year!

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Was pondering on Pandemic.

How about if you made it teams vs. teams, team limit is 3 or 4, teams choose their professions, place/event decks are pre-arranged by the organizers and the same for all teams, then set a victory condition and the first team to meet that wins?

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Was pondering on Pandemic.

How about if you made it teams vs. teams, team limit is 3 or 4, teams choose their professions, place/event decks are pre-arranged by the organizers and the same for all teams, then set a victory condition and the first team to meet that wins?

Number of turns to victory would be a fair comparison, wouldn't it? Assuming matched decks? It definitely needs to be teams though, you're right on that.

Another vote for r4tg, and also small world.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Serenity wrote: »
    Does anybody know if they'll have the game rental room again??
    That was AWSOME last year. My friend and I found so many cool new (to us at least) games in there last year!

I can't imagine that they wouldn't, but PM PucSpifo or Father Fletch to be sure

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • Options
    killjoy00killjoy00 Registered User new member
    edited June 2010
    Chaos in the Old world, space hulk, Small world, Tichu.

killjoy00 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    We absolutely will have the game library again, it is a staple of PAX. The check out will be found at tabletop HQ in room 213.

As for Pandemic, here are the rules I'm toying around with at the moment:

Pandemic Tournament:

Rounds:
    There will be three rounds total with each round becoming progressively harder (4 stacks, 5 stacks, 6 stacks). At the end of the round teams are awarded points based on performance (see below). At the end of each round every individual is awarded tournament points based on how well their team did that round (see below).

Teams:
    If a full team of four signs up to play they can choose to play as a team in the first round or in the final round, but they will be split up at random for at least two rounds. All non-team participants will be randomly assigned to a table for play.

The Deck:
    The deck will be created normally in each round.

Team Scoring:
    Team points scored based on the following factors: a win (20pts), number of cures (10 points each), number of outbreaks (-5 points each), cubes (1 point each).
    • In a win, the cards in the player draw pile (1 point each).
    • In a loss, the more cards USED, equals a better game, so count those used (in hands and in discard pile). One point for each cube left (off the board) with a maximum of 40 points for cubes.

Summary:
    • Win = 20 points
    • Cures = 10 points each
    • Cards* = 1 point each
    • Cubes** = 1 point each (max 40 in loss)
    • Outbreaks = (-5) points each

*If a WIN: count # of player cards left undrawn in stack
    If a LOSS: count # of player cards drawn from stack
    **Win or Loss: count # cubes left in supplies (not on board)
    Maximum 40 points allowed for cubes in a loss.

Individual Scoring:

All players are assigned tournament points:
    Highest scoring game = each player gains 1 tournament point for each game played in the round
    2nd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-1
    3rd highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-2
    4th highest = (1 tournament point for each game played in the round)-3
    And so on until the lowest scoring team earns 1 point

Players with highest tournament points at the end of 3 rounds of play win the tournament.

I did consider stacked decks, but in my view one of the key elements of Pandemic is not knowing what is going to happen next and having the random deck decide that for you. In a tournament setting, all you need to do is be slightly slower than the teams around you to hear what the next several cards will reveal, and that takes away a ton of the challenge and fun.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    karlthepagankarlthepagan Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    warhammer 40k (1000-1500 point range IMO)

karlthepagan on
  • Options
    FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We will be putting out the official tournament list soon. As well our list of exhibitors for TT continues to grow.
    CFK

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'll vote for Carcassonne and Chaos in the old world.

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    Twisted2Twisted2 Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    warhammer 40k

Twisted2 on
  • Options
    niq24601niq24601 Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    +1 for Race for the Galaxy

niq24601 on
    niq24601.jpg
    "gay" and "rape". You keep on using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.
  • Options
    doowttamdoowttam Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    I'd like to see Carcassonne and Small World

doowttam on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Twisted2 wrote: »
    warhammer 40k

Fantasy is better, round-baser.

However, if 40k is to be played, I won't hesitate to bring my Void Knights to the fray.

mostlyharmless on
  • Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I vote Cosmic Encounter. Also I will likely bring my warhammer 40k army. I also have an original copy of Dune I might bring in my carryon if anyone is interested in playing.

Ghola Duncan on
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, haven't played Dune in years...

basicallygeek on
  • Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Wow, haven't played Dune in years...

My wife got it for my birthday last year. It was completely unpunched, but I have only gotten to play it a couple times. This year we are going to PAX for my birthday =). We should get people together to play.

Ghola Duncan on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    warhammer 40k (1000-1500 point range IMO)

Seconded, and recommend the 800-1000pt range; we're going to be carrying our armies around a biga** convention hall packed with people, and gotsta look out for the poor poor horde-army players.

susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
This discussion has been closed.