As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] [Chat]aclysm: still not here

1596061626365»

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Yeah, adding new content and making improvements to the game keep people playing. Who knew?
    Snarkiness aside, 2 years is a long time between expansions for an MMO. Well, except WoW, who kind of makes rules now.
    The only reason WoW's huge wait between expansions works as well as it does is because each one essentially resets the game and makes the previous content obsolete. Very few other MMOs do that, preferring instead to just add new content while keeping the old stuff worth doing.
    Also because there is still no real alternative to WoW for the folks who enjoy WoW's casual-friendly playstyle. Lots of other MMOs offer some similar aspects but nothing else (that I'm aware of) lets you solo to the level cap and acquire decent gear while doing so.

If another company ever offers that, Blizzard might actually have some competition and significantly reduce the long gaps between content.
    I noticed that one of my characters has like 79 badges of justice. Anything you can do with those? Or are they pretty much useless?
    Useless for now, but there's been some hints that they may offer a means to get those out of our inventory and convert them to...something. Not sure what yet.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well look at that, I got hacked a week after my game time expired. Great?

reVerse on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    Asuma wrote: »
    So resubbed and checked my character... turns out I do have quite a lot of crap accumulated.

Emblem Conquest x9
    Emblem Frost x4
    Emblem Heroism x34
    Emblem Triumph x9
    Emblem Valor x58

Champion's Seal x82

Stone Keeper's Shard x244

Since I don't intend to play this Hunter beyond getting the heirlooms, guess I should convert some emblems? Should I buy in any particular order or currency since some are easier to get than others?

You can convert emblems downward until you get to Heroisms, which Heirlooms require. If you're wanting to go for the bare minimum for a Rogue, which are the shoulders, chest piece, and two melee weapons, you're looking at a total of 160 emblems, most of which you have already. If you're really close to the Crusader title for the Tournament (Exalted Champion of the Alliance/Horde plus Argent Crusade and Silver Covenant/Sunreavers at Exalted), you can use the seals you have now on a weapon or armor to save you 40 emblems.

Heirlooms for a rogue:

Stained Shadowcraft Tunic chest slot
    either Exeptional Stormshroud Shoulders or Stained Shadowcraft Spaulders shoulder slot
    Venerable Mass of McGowan x2 for weapons since your probably gonna be leveling as combat
    Charmed Ancient Bone Bow for the extra hit
    Swift Hand of Justice x2 for your trinkets

iguanacus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Great, I wonder if my account has been hacked in the time since I quit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Check your Armory.

reVerse on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looks like I'm in the clear since my profile is so out of date it won't display. <_<

Not that my character has anything of value.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Weird thing is that I've run anti-virus and two malware/spyware checking programs and neither of them have found anything. I've still got one running, so it might turn up something, but if not, I don't know. Brute forcing the password? I find that somewhat unlikely. Guess it could be some new thing that none of these programs can detect yet.

reVerse on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heirlooms for a rogue:

Stained Shadowcraft Tunic chest slot
    either Exeptional Stormshroud Shoulders or Stained Shadowcraft Spaulders shoulder slot
    Venerable Mass of McGowan x2 for weapons since your probably gonna be leveling as combat
    Charmed Ancient Bone Bow for the extra hit
    Swift Hand of Justice x2 for your trinkets

Just as an addendum to this, if you're going to level combat you actually don't want to use a 2.8 speed offhand weapon. Really either of the 2 swords or the mace makes a good main hand, but the best heirloom bet for an offhand is actually the dagger. Faster offhand attacks = more energy. Of course this doesn't come into play until level 40+ when you get combat potency, but since you don't have any attacks that hit with both weapons anyway using a slow offhand doesn't really help up until that point either.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Weird thing is that I've run anti-virus and two malware/spyware checking programs and neither of them have found anything. I've still got one running, so it might turn up something, but if not, I don't know. Brute forcing the password? I find that somewhat unlikely. Guess it could be some new thing that none of these programs can detect yet.

That Flash vulnerability has nothing to do with any virus, the blurb on the wow website said the only way to be safe from it is to update Flash.

Interestingly enough, when I booted up my computer this morning a pop up asking me to update to Flash 10.1 came up.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

That Flash vulnerability has nothing to do with any virus, the blurb on the wow website said the only way to be safe from it is to update Flash.

Interestingly enough, when I booted up my computer this morning a pop up asking me to update to Flash 10.1 came up.

Yeah, I updated it as soon as it became available, but guess the damage is done already. Oh well.

Now I have to go get my WoW boxes from my mom's house if I want my stuff restored because CD keys are required for that. Bah, so much effort.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    A friend's account as hacked last night.

I've noticed lately that this has been happening for a lot of people. Some widely-used mod out there must have been compromised or something.

Mods cannot possibly ever access your account name or password.

Echo on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Boo. Replacement Champions thread isn't up yet.

So I will pollute this thread.
    why is it that the CO thread was locked at page 100 even though this thread hit page 100 3 hours earlier?

I'm guessing the issue with a new CO thread is that it's hard to pull info from the OP when the thread is locked. I'm not planning on making the next CO thread, by the way.

Someone actually made a new thread to replace this one, but it got locked.

I think we're supposed to use this one until we hit 200 pages.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This whole thing reminds me why I find it so annoying to have all my Blizzard games tied to one account.

edit: Well, I guess I could make separate accounts for all the stuff, maybe? But that doesn't seem like a sensible option either.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most of my non-blizzard are tied to my steam account.

But there's nothing you can really steal with that (other than account itself).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This whole thing reminds me why I find it so annoying to have all my Blizzard games tied to one account.

edit: Well, I guess I could make separate accounts for all the stuff, maybe? But that doesn't seem like a sensible option either.

It's successfully made them the target of every hackers attention.

If their plan was simply to sell authenticators by making sure their game was the most hacked; MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Guess I'll have to invest into one of those things when Starcraft 2 is released. Wouldn't want my Protoss proxy rushing disturbed just because I happen to have WoW on the same account.

reVerse on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Plus then you wont get some asshat whispering you from WoW asking you to tank their Abyssal Maw run while you're trying to mind control some Thors.

815165 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Interconnectivity: yet another method for your friends to not call you.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    Plus then you wont get some asshat whispering you from WoW asking you to tank their Abyssal Maw run while you're trying to mind control some Thors.

Which you won't anyway on account of you not adding asshats to your friends list.

Echo on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel your pain reVerse. I think you're the...fourth poster this past month (including myself) that has found his WoW account hacked after quitting.

I wonder how are they pulling this off. Maybe they're getting the info directly from Blizzard servers?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, yeah, someone is using my old paladin. And according to the activity feed, they've been farming Stratholme. But before that, what's the first thing they do? They get me the Duel-icious achievement. What?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Hmm, yeah, someone is using my old paladin. And according to the activity feed, they've been farming Stratholme. But before that, what's the first thing they do? They get me the Duel-icious achievement. What?

Your human? Draenei? Dwarf? Blood Elf I don't know which one is your "old" paladin

Maybe because they don't know how to play a protection or holy paladin I find a lot of bots and hackers as ret paladins

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The blood elf, the only paladin I have that's level 80 (and it's also ret).

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Odd I wonder why they gave it the dual spec achievement maybe they play a certain kind of ret paladin?

Brainleech on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I feel your pain reVerse. I think you're the...fourth poster this past month (including myself) that has found his WoW account hacked after quitting.

I wonder how are they pulling this off. Maybe they're getting the info directly from Blizzard servers?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was simple as you logged on once to WoW while you had a website open running a flash ad that contained the exploit, and it copied your login info.

They probably stored it in a database somewhere, and they're slowly working their way through their list.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    duel-licious is for doing a duel

duel not dual

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    And they're not even that good at dueling with my character, either. They have a 6-16 record so far.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You can add me to that list. I got hacked for the third time yesterday since they started up with this amalgamation of Blizzard games in one account. I quit WoW months ago and barely have any prepaid time left on my account and maybe 1 character worth looting still since the last time, so fortunately they didn't actually loot anything from me but my gold, but it still pisses me off that I played WoW for 3 years and was never hacked once in all that time until about a week after I did their WoW account merger with Battle.net. I never owned or needed an authenticator and I sure as hell am not buying one now.

I'm only ever going to use the account for SC2 after retail release for the foreseeable future, I really hope that won't be impeded by some moron trying to rob my WoW characters.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well since I just cancelled my wow subscription yesterday and updated Flash, I went ahead and changed my Battlenet password again.

It's not that the password was weak before, but I'd had it for a while, and I don't think they are brute forcing them anyway. So it's good to change it now and again.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just refuse to buy a fucking authenticator on principle. With all the incredibly simplistic, very basic security features that exist and Blizzard chooses to ignore most of them in favor of a shitty micro-transaction, and then when not enough people buy them they decide to open an even bigger vulnerability for their customers by forcing them to merge everything together under a single email address and password.

I'm technically still a Blizzard customer, but I am far from a loyal one. I actively despise them for the shoddy way their treat customers.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's a sick way to keep you coming back tho!

"Let me just check if I haven't been hacked these past 6 months honey! Honest, I'm not coming back!"

EDIT: Since I already had an Ipod Touch I figure it wouldn't hurt getting the free app.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just refuse to buy a fucking authenticator on principle. With all the incredibly simplistic, very basic security features that exist and Blizzard chooses to ignore most of them in favor of a shitty micro-transaction, and then when not enough people buy them they decide to open an even bigger vulnerability for their customers by forcing them to merge everything together under a single email address and password.

I'm technically still a Blizzard customer, but I am far from a loyal one. I actively despise them for the shoddy way their treat customers.

What if they require them and ship one with Cataclysm?

It's not that bad the way they treat thier customers I work for a place that treats people like shit and customers as shit with cash

Brainleech on
This discussion has been closed.