As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited July 2010 in MMO Extravaganza
battlenet5.jpg

Echo on

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I just refuse to buy a fucking authenticator on principle. With all the incredibly simplistic, very basic security features that exist and Blizzard chooses to ignore most of them in favor of a shitty micro-transaction, and then when not enough people buy them they decide to open an even bigger vulnerability for their customers by forcing them to merge everything together under a single email address and password.

I'm technically still a Blizzard customer, but I am far from a loyal one. I actively despise them for the shoddy way their treat customers.

What if they require them and ship one with Cataclysm?

It's not that bad the way they treat thier customers I work for a place that treats people like shit and customers as shit with cash

If they gave me a free one I'd use it. There was a point in time I was really trying to order one (they were always sold out) but when the battlenet merger happened I became incredibly disgusted with their business practices.

-edit-

LOL @Echo

Regina Fong on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Battle.net is a bad idea that will cost them. I really don't understand they they make people use an email when most people cannot keep thier mouth shut about which one they use. only have one or a number of rather simple reasons

Brainleech on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That picture is very appropriate.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If that Flash exploit was what's been causing all the recent hacks, the only reason I probably didn't get hit is because I block all ad servers.

I have since patched Flash to 10.1 on this machine, but still... pretty crazy.

Dranyth on
  • Lynchmob81Lynchmob81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This isn't directed at anyone, just generally speaking, but I don't understand why you wouldn't get an authenticator. Unless your oceanic and have to pay $20 shipping, they are really cheap and to my knowledge, can't be hacked now that blizz makes you enter the code on the same screen as the log in info. I guess I just don't understand the "i won't buy one on principle" argument. Better safe than sorry, right?

Lynchmob81 on
    "I need a small man's wetsuit!"
    edited June 2010
    Lynchmob81 wrote: »
    This isn't directed at anyone, just generally speaking, but I don't understand why you wouldn't get an authenticator. Unless your oceanic and have to pay $20 shipping, they are really cheap and to my knowledge, can't be hacked now that blizz makes you enter the code on the same screen as the log in info. I guess I just don't understand the "i won't buy one on principle" argument. Better safe than sorry, right?

You don't understand how someone could be mad enough about Blizzard's boneheaded anti-security decisions that they would refuse to pay money for a band-aid to said anti-security decisions?

Hellloooo autism.

No I don't expect anyone to agree with me or follow suit, but to say you can't even understand my thought process is... maybe try harder. I don't know.

Regina Fong on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fear the bearer of the authenticator.
    Picture130.jpg

Brainleech on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait a minute; it has Facebook integration? It's already bad my PS3 wants me to reactivate my Facebook account now Blizz too?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Hellloooo autism.

You rang?

Echo on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait a minute; it has Facebook integration? It's already bad my PS3 wants me to reactivate my Facebook account now Blizz too?

Yep. And when they were testing said integration in the SC2 beta it basically murdered Battle.net and spread it's intestines across the Internet. And briefly removed regular friends list functions.

They want it so you can basically communicate with anyone in real time via Facebook and across all Blizzard games. Good idea but lousy in practice so far.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mine chills out inside my monitor stand. It's also where my phone sleeps.
    31084_646286405086_38500097_36035070_4764030_n.jpg

I also have a tendency to draw all over my desk.

edit:
    Corehealer wrote: »
    They want it so you can basically communicate with anyone in real time via Facebook and across all Blizzard games. Good idea but lousy in practice so far.

Now that's a dumb idea. I wish everything wasn't being linked to Facebook.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Hellloooo autism.

You rang?

Hey shoo, I got here first.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    But I log in to WoW to escape from real life. Why would I want my boss/family/SO to know "where" I am?

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited June 2010
    But I log in to WoW to escape from real life. Why would I want my boss/family/SO to know "where" I am?

The problem here is you have your boss as a Facebook friend.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Also your family and significant other.

reVerse on
    edited June 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Also your family and significant other.

Basically anyone you see on a regular basis.

Beyond Normal on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got an authenticator after I got hacked (think I got a virus). Even the best security on Blizzard's end wouldn't prevent a virus or trojan on your end from swiping your info. Besides, $6. That's, like, 1/4 the price of a mount!

They really should include them free with Cataclysm. Should have done it with Wrath.

Tomanta on
    edited June 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I got an authenticator after I got hacked (think I got a virus). Even the best security on Blizzard's end wouldn't prevent a virus or trojan on your end from swiping your info. Besides, $6. That's, like, 1/4 the price of a mount!

They really should include them free with Cataclysm. Should have done it with Wrath.

It becomes a cost issue when a large amount of the player-base already has them.

Beyond Normal on
  • skorchskorch Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With all the exploits and vulnerabilities leading to people getting hacked, I recommend using the Secunia PSI. I think someone linked to it one of the chat threads here. But it just scans all the software you install and makes sure you stay up to date with patches and what not. It has come in handy for me.

skorch on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lynchmob81 wrote: »

You don't understand how someone could be mad enough about Blizzard's boneheaded anti-security decisions that they would refuse to pay money for a band-aid to said anti-security decisions?

Hellloooo autism.

No I don't expect anyone to agree with me or follow suit, but to say you can't even understand my thought process is... maybe try harder. I don't know.

Your thought process is stupid.

"Hrmm, they have terrible security mostly caused by user stupidity and exploits in programs that are not theirs! I will protest by not paying a tiny fee to improve it vastly but keep paying the much larger monthly fee for the game. THAT WILL SHOW THEM."

What?

Wassermelone on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    skorch wrote: »
    With all the exploits and vulnerabilities leading to people getting hacked, I recommend using the Secunia PSI. I think someone linked to it one of the chat threads here. But it just scans all the software you install and makes sure you stay up to date with patches and what not. It has come in handy for me.

Sadly Secunia didn't pick up on Flash being out of date, so I found out about the vulnerability a day or two late.
    Your thought process is stupid.

"Hrmm, they have terrible security mostly caused by user stupidity and exploits in programs that are not theirs! I will protest by not paying a tiny fee to improve it vastly but keep paying the much larger monthly fee for the game. THAT WILL SHOW THEM."

What?
    I can only assume some people see it as some kind of "protection fee." Kind of like, "Oh, that's a real pretty WoW account you got there. Four 80s, I'd say about 60,000 gold spread around. Lots of epics there. Be a shame if anything happened to it."

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »

Sadly Secunia didn't pick up on Flash being out of date, so I found out about the vulnerability a day or two late.

Did you run a system scan? It can only pick up things after a scan, would be nice if it did a real time scan but that would be a bit of a system resource drain.

Yea its not a perfect solution but it does help out.

skorch on
    edited June 2010

Did you run a system scan? It can only pick up things after a scan, would be nice if it did a real time scan but that would be a bit of a system resource drain.

Yea its not a perfect solution but it does help out.

Yeah, I do system scans twice a day. No Flash ever popped up.

Of course, now it does after I installed 10.1.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited June 2010
    I can only assume some people see it as some kind of "protection fee." Kind of like, "Oh, that's a real pretty WoW account you got there. Four 80s, I'd say about 60,000 gold spread around. Lots of epics there. Be a shame if anything happened to it."

The problem with his thinking is that hes attempting to vote with his dollar because he disapproves of their poor security. But not only is he still paying for the game (and thus they have his dollar, monthly) he now also just has poor security while doing it.

"Protection" fee it may be, but its not Blizzard doing the hacking. And its not Blizzard responsible for the users that download every damn thing they please. Free gold if I download this .exe? YES PLEASE. And its not Blizzard's fault that Flash had giant security holes in it.

Wassermelone on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They weren't even getting my money when I got hacked. And I don't use my WoW password on any other site. So how they got ahold of it three months after I last logged in is a bit odd.

SabreMau on
    edited June 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    They weren't even getting my money when I got hacked. And I don't use my WoW password on any other site. So how they got ahold of it three months after I last logged in is a bit odd.

They might have had it three months ago and they just finally got to you.

Wassermelone on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm curious as to what the ratio of hacked to unhacked accounts is as it stands today. Seems like every day someone else I know gets nailed.

Halfmex on
    edited June 2010
    I know within the past two weeks alone, we have had four accounts hacked that have been inactive.

skorch on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, Blizzard's billing phone number is still "experiencing a high call volume". Not only that, but occasionally when I try to call it doesn't even get me their automated message, but a busy tone instead.

Saturday's probably not a good day. Might just sit around and wait for the email to get answered, which will probably happen before I would be able to talk to someone on the phone.

SabreMau on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got the Authentator after a guildmate was hacked. I do daily virus/spyware scans and I'm very careful what links I follow.

The same guildmate later on admitted to buying gold to pay for the Shadowmorne stuff. This was after he was hacked.

I mocked him, but no one else in the guild cares all that much.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We're simultaneously working on a "war games" mode for battlegrounds that allows groups to challenge other groups to a battle in a specific battleground (including horde vs horde and alliance vs alliance). Granted, the rewards aren't significant, but it's more for players to be able to have fun battling their guildmates and friends or for players on a server to throw down for the sake of pride and bragging rights.

[...] You'll still only be grouped with players of your language, although your opponents can be from whatever part of the region, regardless of language.
    Holy shitballs.

Being in a PVP guild could actually mean something with this shit, yo.

815165 on
    edited June 2010

Your thought process is apparently opaque.

"Hrmm, they have terrible security mostly caused by user stupidity and exploits in programs that are not theirs, so they exacerbate all of them by binding everything together under a single password, and instead of a user name, force them to use an email address, which shall also be their account email address! Repulsed by the shameless hypocrisy of this, I will refuse to buy the gay little authenticator and instead regularly change my password and run anti-virus software. Additionally I will probably cancel my account for a while because the pleasure I get from their game has diminished markedly."

What?

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    I know within the past two weeks alone, we have had four accounts hacked that have been inactive.

A friend of mine in another guild just lost his account today.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just need to quest in Sholazar Basin for Loremaster.

I gotta say that the LK quests compared to the original quests are easily more centralized, but I get there seems to me that there is more feeling behind the ones in Vanilla. It's not the quest writing, but just the flow. In Wrath and BC, it's "grab 4 or 5 quests that go to this area, turn them in, and then get another couple of quests for THIS other area, repeat." I don't know. It's easily much smoother to quest in BC or Wrath, and Vanilla shamelessly has you running quests across the zone, if not on the other side of the other continent, but, to me, there is just something more soulful about vanilla quests. You can also easily tell that Blizzard has learned a lot about how to do quests since they originally released the game. Hell, even their quest chains aren't "go here to WPL, go to LBRS, then run back, do UBRS, run back, do something in Org, go do UBRS again, run to WPL, go do UBRS, and then run back to Org."

L Ron Howard on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It's pretty annoying people getting fucked over because of gold buying. :(

815165 on
    edited June 2010
    I'm still curious as to why Blizzard keeps supporting Wowhead, since its parent company is still in the gold-selling business, albeit a bit obfuscated.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Facebook integration?

"[Name] needs 12 more people to slay Scourgelord Tyrannus!"

Toldo on
    edited June 2010

Your thought process is apparently opaque.

"Hrmm, they have terrible security mostly caused by user stupidity and exploits in programs that are not theirs, so they exacerbate all of them by binding everything together under a single password, and instead of a user name, force them to use an email address, which shall also be their account email address! Repulsed by the shameless hypocrisy of this, I will refuse to buy the gay little authenticator and instead regularly change my password and run anti-virus software. Additionally I will probably cancel my account for a while because the pleasure I get from their game has diminished markedly."

What?

Because thats what you had typed. Yeah.

You basically whined about their security and said you weren't buying their authenticator because of it. And you only seem to be canceling your account because you don't find the game fun anymore. Thats good, but previously when you were STICKING IT TO THE MAN by playing their game but not buying their authenticator you were doing a good job of failing at a boycott.

Wassermelone on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010

I gave that a spin to see if it's something to add to my "Fixing Mom's Computer" toolkit. I like how it complains about me not having Flash installed. :P

Echo on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still confused as to how exactly people even get their accounts stolen from them these days. You will only acquire a keylogger if you download something shady, Flash is easily countered with noscript, and with a series of symbols and numbers in your password it would take years to brute force the account. Is it some kind of global lack of commonsense, or has China created a super virus that is self-aware?

Magic Radio on
This discussion has been closed.