As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] [Chat]tlenet 2.0

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Toldo wrote: »
    Facebook integration?

"[Name] needs 12 more people to slay Scourgelord Tyrannus!"

Come now, that's a 5-man dungeon.

Vincent Grayson on
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Facebook integration?

I take it you've never people asking for help to slay dragons on Facebook? It happens, man.

Toldo on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm still confused as to how exactly people even get their accounts stolen from them these days. You will only acquire a keylogger if you download something shady, Flash is easily countered with noscript, and with a series of symbols and numbers in your password it would take years to brute force the account. Is it some kind of global lack of commonsense, or has China created a super virus that is self-aware?

NoScript is an unreasonable expectation. Breaking half of the internet for yourself and then slowly un-breaking it over the next few months on a site-by-site basis is not something people should have to do just to maintain a minimum level of security for a fucking MMO.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Facebook integration?

I take it you've never people asking for help to slay dragons on Facebook? It happens, man.

Back in the day, people had to use their cell phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjrdSKzwQuk

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited June 2010
    Back when EQOA came out, most people didn't have cell phones.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    korodullin wrote: »
    I'm still confused as to how exactly people even get their accounts stolen from them these days. You will only acquire a keylogger if you download something shady, Flash is easily countered with noscript, and with a series of symbols and numbers in your password it would take years to brute force the account. Is it some kind of global lack of commonsense, or has China created a super virus that is self-aware?

NoScript is an unreasonable expectation. Breaking half of the internet for yourself and then slowly un-breaking it over the next few months on a site-by-site basis is not something people should have to do just to maintain a minimum level of security for a fucking MMO.

Which is why I don't even bother.

I've been playing for nearly 5 years now and have never ever had my account hacked(somehow, I'm not the most secure person). Hell, my password hasn't really changed in those 5 years.

I guess all it really takes is awareness. One of my friends never bought anti-virus for his computer because he used Sea Monkey(Firefox offshoot) and to quote him, "they don't make viruses for sea monkey." That might be true, but most viruses are made for computers in general.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All the authenticator talk reminded me, I bought one for my girlfriend and one for myself. Unfortunately when they came one appears to be damaged it is just displaying gibberish while the other one appears to be displaying something "normal", anyone experienced this I am probably just going to call them Monday if I get the chance and see if I can send it back or have a replacement sent but I am curious how often this occurs or if they will even do it (neither one has been attached yet).

WingedWeasel on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not to keep spewing all over this thread, but I heard there's supposed to be a portal to Un'Goro in Scholazar. Is that true? If so, where is it?

L Ron Howard on
    edited June 2010
    Not to keep spewing all over this thread, but I heard there's supposed to be a portal to Un'Goro in Scholazar. Is that true? If so, where is it?

There is, it's a giant gate near the south. You have to do a quest chain to open it though, but that's easy.

edit: The series starts with The Avatar of Freya.

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the main thing that annoys me about the authenticator is that Blizzard's account security measures have gotten worse since they started selling it.

I recently returned to WoW after a two year break and was kind of surprised that they have not updated the login system other than moving to the Battle.net email address. If some crappy free Korean MMO can have a random onscreen keypad for passwords, why can't WoW? That is a simple thing that would help counter keyloggers and not require everyone to shell out more for an authenticator.

grrarg on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Your thought process is apparently opaque.

"Hrmm, they have terrible security mostly caused by user stupidity and exploits in programs that are not theirs, so they exacerbate all of them by binding everything together under a single password, and instead of a user name, force them to use an email address, which shall also be their account email address! Repulsed by the shameless hypocrisy of this, I will refuse to buy the gay little authenticator and instead regularly change my password and run anti-virus software. Additionally I will probably cancel my account for a while because the pleasure I get from their game has diminished markedly."

What?

Because thats what you had typed. Yeah.

You basically whined about their security and said you weren't buying their authenticator because of it. And you only seem to be canceling your account because you don't find the game fun anymore. Thats good, but previously when you were STICKING IT TO THE MAN by playing their game but not buying their authenticator you were doing a good job of failing at a boycott.

No, you read what you wanted to into my post. There wasn't any "I'm really sticking it to Blizzard by denying them $5" angle.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010

There is, it's a giant gate near the south. You have to do a quest chain to open it though, but that's easy.

Bah. And I just started questing there too. Probably be faster to fly from TB than to do the quests. Oh well.

And to put the tread back on track: authenticators are stupid and for silly geese that can't secure their computers lol

L Ron Howard on
    edited June 2010
    Beyond Normal on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just need to quest in Sholazar Basin for Loremaster.

I gotta say that the LK quests compared to the original quests are easily more centralized, but I get there seems to me that there is more feeling behind the ones in Vanilla. It's not the quest writing, but just the flow. In Wrath and BC, it's "grab 4 or 5 quests that go to this area, turn them in, and then get another couple of quests for THIS other area, repeat." I don't know. It's easily much smoother to quest in BC or Wrath, and Vanilla shamelessly has you running quests across the zone, if not on the other side of the other continent, but, to me, there is just something more soulful about vanilla quests. You can also easily tell that Blizzard has learned a lot about how to do quests since they originally released the game. Hell, even their quest chains aren't "go here to WPL, go to LBRS, then run back, do UBRS, run back, do something in Org, go do UBRS again, run to WPL, go do UBRS, and then run back to Org."

As someone doing the vanilla loremaster right now, I want to punch you so hard that all your organs fly out of you.

polloface on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    815165 wrote: »
    We're simultaneously working on a "war games" mode for battlegrounds that allows groups to challenge other groups to a battle in a specific battleground (including horde vs horde and alliance vs alliance). Granted, the rewards aren't significant, but it's more for players to be able to have fun battling their guildmates and friends or for players on a server to throw down for the sake of pride and bragging rights.

[...] You'll still only be grouped with players of your language, although your opponents can be from whatever part of the region, regardless of language.
    Holy shitballs.

Being in a PVP guild could actually mean something with this shit, yo.

I still wish they'd make world-PvP matter a lot more, even if it just had to be locked to PvP servers.

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    I suggested that city leaders drop some PvP epics when killed. Then a guildie said there would be city raids every night(which isn't a bad thing, imo).

Bring the "war" back in Warcraft!

Beyond Normal on
    edited June 2010

Fucking hacker kid. You can't have taunt and feign death on the same character.

The only way to make this right is to find that sister and feed her to a moose.

Regina Fong on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

And to put the tread back on track: authenticators are stupid and for silly geese that can't secure their computers lol

That's...uh...extreme.

And that PvP announcement is amazing.

WingedWeasel on
  • pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

He probably meant he taunted with distracting shot, the reporter probably left that part out.
    More then likely he screamed hard and wet his pants and passed out.

polloface on
    edited June 2010
    polloface wrote: »

He probably meant he taunted with distracting shot, the reporter probably left that part out.
    More then likely he screamed hard and wet his pants and passed out.

Oh yeah distracting shot, good call!

Regina Fong on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and it turns out that even when I got through on the phone line, they have, "If you're calling because you got an email saying your account was closed or suspended, press 3." So I pressed 3 and the reply is like "This isn't something we can do over the phone. Follow the instructions in the email."

Which I already did a couple days ago. So, more waiting. Wish I'd known their billing phone operators don't support that before I tried calling them.

SabreMau on
    edited June 2010
    polloface wrote: »
    I just need to quest in Sholazar Basin for Loremaster.

I gotta say that the LK quests compared to the original quests are easily more centralized, but I get there seems to me that there is more feeling behind the ones in Vanilla. It's not the quest writing, but just the flow. In Wrath and BC, it's "grab 4 or 5 quests that go to this area, turn them in, and then get another couple of quests for THIS other area, repeat." I don't know. It's easily much smoother to quest in BC or Wrath, and Vanilla shamelessly has you running quests across the zone, if not on the other side of the other continent, but, to me, there is just something more soulful about vanilla quests. You can also easily tell that Blizzard has learned a lot about how to do quests since they originally released the game. Hell, even their quest chains aren't "go here to WPL, go to LBRS, then run back, do UBRS, run back, do something in Org, go do UBRS again, run to WPL, go do UBRS, and then run back to Org."

As someone doing the vanilla loremaster right now, I want to punch you so hard that all your organs fly out of you.

EK is a breeze. I still have 150+ quests I can do AFTER I got the Loremaster achievement. I have tons in Booty Bay alone.

For Kalimdor, grab a group, do BWL, and start the Scepter chain. Or start doing the D1 questline. All I know is that everyone I've talked to started really really scraping at the end to make it.

It's also a great time to get exalted with the stupid Druids in Sillythus....

L Ron Howard on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, you read what you wanted to into my post. There wasn't any "I'm really sticking it to Blizzard by denying them $5" angle.

Um yeah.
    You don't understand how someone could be mad enough about Blizzard's boneheaded anti-security decisions that they would refuse to pay money for a band-aid to said anti-security decisions?

Wassermelone on
    edited June 2010
    STICK IT TO THE MAN!

Beyond Normal on
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    We're simultaneously working on a "war games" mode for battlegrounds that allows groups to challenge other groups to a battle in a specific battleground (including horde vs horde and alliance vs alliance). Granted, the rewards aren't significant, but it's more for players to be able to have fun battling their guildmates and friends or for players on a server to throw down for the sake of pride and bragging rights.

[...] You'll still only be grouped with players of your language, although your opponents can be from whatever part of the region, regardless of language.
    Holy shitballs.

I still wish they'd make world-PvP matter a lot more, even if it just had to be locked to PvP servers.

World PvP is dead and is probably never coming back the way you want, and I wish you people would quit trying to bring it back by pining for it all the damn time. Yeah, woo, fighting between Tarren Mill and Southshore was fun every now and again, and fighting to get into BRS or MC or Onyxia's Lair was interesting for a few minutes the first hundred thousand times it happened, but those times are over. Done. Gone. Kaput. It was fun for a select few dozen people per server, and pretty much a stupid annoyance for everyone else.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Those four towers in EPL led to some very memorable PVP moments for me in the first months, but then people stopped caring.

Except for the Naxx raiders, who went as far as paying other guilds to make sure their side had all four towers. :P

Echo on
    edited June 2010
    Huh. Guess Emerald Dream crashed.

Echo on
    edited June 2010
    Heh. Someone just about exploded with joy when I tipped 30g for making me ten Stonescale Oils.

Echo on
    edited June 2010

Um yeah.
    You don't understand how someone could be mad enough about Blizzard's boneheaded anti-security decisions that they would refuse to pay money for a band-aid to said anti-security decisions?

Listen Goose. You have listened to what I said, and assigned a motivation of your own choosing. I never said I didn't buy an authenticator to spite them (and it would be very impotent spite). In fact, earlier on I made it very clear that I didn't buy one because rewarding them for a douche move compromises my own principles.

So you can think whatever you like about my choice, but manufacturing a motivation (conveniently, the worst possible one that makes me look stupid) and advancing it as mine is very obnoxious of you.

Allow me to reiterate, you are being obnoxious.

Either you're bored and trolling, or you're just another Blizzard fanboi out to prove that anyone who doesn't share your views is a moron. Don't care which, neither makes you worth talking to.

Regina Fong on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not manufacturing a motivation when you spell it out for us pretty clearly.

Wassermelone on
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to drop this, but since the person I'm arguing with likes to twist things, I need to quote myself from earlier.
    I just refuse to buy a fucking authenticator on principle. With all the incredibly simplistic, very basic security features that exist and Blizzard chooses to ignore most of them in favor of a shitty micro-transaction

Notice that I make it a matter of principle and not an attempt to spite Blizzard in some sort of insane manichean boycott of one.

Giving in and buying an authenticator would leave a bad taste in my mouth, I don't want that so I chose not to.

I'm sorry that this position is so wildly controversial as to be beyond reason and understanding. Clearly, the obvious intent was that I was going to drive them out of business with that $5 and I needed to be way more clear about my intent.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    I'm not manufacturing a motivation when you spell it out for us pretty clearly.

I don't think the issue is with my spelling, I think the issue is with your being obtuse.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010
    Jeepguy, quit sperging now.

Echo on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Holy shitballs.

World PvP is dead and is probably never coming back the way you want, and I wish you people would quit trying to bring it back by pining for it all the damn time. Yeah, woo, fighting between Tarren Mill and Southshore was fun every now and again, and fighting to get into BRS or MC or Onyxia's Lair was interesting for a few minutes the first hundred thousand times it happened, but those times are over. Done. Gone. Kaput. It was fun for a select few dozen people per server, and pretty much a stupid annoyance for everyone else.

koro, I love you, but I'm only going to say this once.
    lol go ply pve srvr carebare

Henroid on
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Jeepguy, quit sperging now.

Yeah clearly I'm in the wrong here.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2010

koro, I love you, but I'm only going to say this once.
    lol go ply pve srvr carebare

I don't play games to crush, I play games to bake bread! :x

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Look, Blizzard hasn't provided the authenticator as part of their default package, that's why you buy it.

Blizzard's security isn't 100% but they're not your fucking mum. They can't anticipate everything hackers can do, so if someone runs around without a malware/logger blocker and virus check, clicking on all kinds of suspicious links, it's really not their fault.

If someone says they're not going to get an authenticator on the principle that Blizzard should provide 100% security by default, or that Blizzard is just greedy, they need to be slapped. It's not like Blizzard makes a ton of money off this shit - the authenticators are mainly there to stop their tech support services from being choked to death with account restoration requests.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited June 2010
    ominous thunder in the distance

Echo on
    edited June 2010
    ominous thunder in the distance

Practicing for an in-game GM position, Echo?

Henroid on
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Huh. Guess Emerald Dream crashed.

Oh, same battlegroup as me? Alliance or horde?

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.