As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Superman: Doomsday, The 90's are dead. Long live the 90's!

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2007 in Graphic Violence
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0934706/trailers-screenplay-E32340-10-2

Here's the trailer for the first of 3 animated DC Movies(The other two bieng The Judas Contract and New Frontier), Bruce Timm is....producing, I think. Oh and Adam Baldwin is voicing Big Blue.

MULLET!

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I fucking hate that bloody Superman symbol so much. It's like a bad horror movie logo.

That being said, this looks great. Also, I'm glad I won't have to wait until release to find out if they're including his resurrection.

Death of Superman is seriously the best selling graphic novel of all time? Are they talking about the collection, the individual issue, or what?

This would be an instance where it'd help to know what graphic novel actually means.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    That mullet is disgusting.

But I will probably be all over this.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It looks almost exactly like Bruce Timm's DCAU style.

Lux on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    A) I will buy this the moment it comes out.

B) If it includes the creation of Conner, I will buy two copies. One to watch, one to masturbate over.

C) I'm really starting to come off gay in this forum.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure the movie will at least be decent, but that is a terrible trailer

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was really hoping they were going to do a drastic departure from Timm's style. Oh well.

Also, I'm really disappointed that they cut the JLI stuff from the film, but kept in all the "Superman comes back to life wearing a black suit and shooting things" shit. Seriously, when I saw Superman pointing that gun, mullet flapping in the wind, I felt a terrible sense of foreboding.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    I was really hoping they were going to do a drastic departure from Timm's style. Oh well.

Also, I'm really disappointed that they cut the JLI stuff from the film, but kept in all the "Superman comes back to life wearing a black suit and shooting things" shit. Seriously, when I saw Superman pointing that gun, mullet flapping in the wind, I felt a terrible sense of foreboding.

They could have at least substituted in the JLU, right? Do we know for a fact that there are no cameos?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

They could have at least substituted in the JLU, right? Do we know for a fact that there are no cameos?
    Yeah, Timm has said that all of the League was left out. Dunno if Connor/Steel are in it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Now that I think about it, I don't see how this could possibly surpass the other "SUPERMAN DEFEATED!" stories, from Darkseid's humiliation of him to when Toyman teleported him into the future and Vandal Savage killed everyone in his absence.

And I keep saying it, but Doomsday stands as one of the shoddiest creations ever put to print.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, Timm has said that all of the League was left out. Dunno if Connor/Steel are in it.

I'm pretty positive the Reign of the Supermen stuff was cut too.

Munch on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tha animation quality just looks like an episode of any other DCAU show. I was kinda hoping for more.

august on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Well, the movie is only 75 minutes. Stuff needs to be cut.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

The JL stuff I can understand, but Reign of the Supermen was a great and pretty important part of the Death/Return of Superman.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

The JL stuff I can understand, but Reign of the Supermen was a great and pretty important part of the Death/Return of Superman.

I agree, but again, 75 minutes isn't a lot of time. Trying to cram in an additional four characters and then do them justice really can't be done in that time frame.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I agree, but again, 75 minutes isn't a lot of time. Trying to cram in an additional four characters and then do them justice really can't be done in that time frame.
    Yeah, it's just kinda disappointing. Oh well, New Frontier could make up for any and all faults.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, but I mean, how much story is there? He fights Doomsday across the U.S., I guess without the JL, you can cut even more of that. They eventually fight in Metropolis, they die. I mean, theoretically, you could tell that story in about 8 minutes.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I was actually just hoping the movie would end with his death, freeing up a ton of time. Because honestly, pretty much everything following the events in the Death of Superman TPB largely sucked, and they could always just make a second Return of Superman movie to really flesh out all the copycat/resurrection stuff.

My ideal Death of Superman movie would have three acts; 1) introduce Superman, Doomsday, and Justice League 2) Doomsday rampage, maiming (or hell, killing if they're going for a PG-13) numerous Leaguers, showing how unstoppable Doomsday really is, and how it really is a job for Superman. 3) Superman confronts Doomsday and dies, with a few minutes devoted to an epilogue montage of Leaguers recuperating, the supporting cast grieving, and then finally a big, dramatic shot of the Superman statue, surrounded by thankful citizens.

But I have a feeling that parents of sobbing children would find it a bit objectionable.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I was actually just hoping the movie would end with his death, freeing up a ton of time. Because honestly, pretty much everything following the events in the Death of Superman TPB largely sucked, and they could always just make a second Return of Superman movie to really flesh out all the copycat/resurrection stuff.

My ideal Death of Superman movie would have three acts; 1) introduce Superman, Doomsday, and Justice League 2) Doomsday rampage, maiming (or hell, killing if they're going for a PG-13) numerous Leaguers, showing how unstoppable Doomsday really is, and how it really is a job for Superman. 3) Superman confronts Doomsday and dies, with a few minutes devoted to an epilogue montage of Leaguers recuperating, the supporting cast grieving, and then finally a big, dramatic shot of the Superman statue, surrounded by thankful citizens.

But I have a feeling that parents of sobbing children would find it a bit objectionable.
    Munch, get your cephalopod ass over here and make out with me.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I didn't really mind Doomsday at first. But as time went on, he just got worse and worse. When he was fully covered by that suit, he was pretty scarey. Crushed that poor bird, did all this crazy shit with one hand tied behind his back...

The bone-things were sorta cool, but the whole look just sorta...didn't work for me. But, if they had just ended his story right there, it would have been fine. Don't explain anything about him, just leave him floating in space for years and years.

Can you imagine how epic it would have been if we'd never talked about Doomsday at all, and then he had suddenly appeared in Infinite Crisis out of nowhere?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man.

I remember when that comic came out as a kid, my dad told me it would be a big deal.

"listen son we're gonna go buy this comic, and a copy of it...and one for me. It'll be worth something some day"

People still believe this. When I worked at a comic store I'd get AT LEAST one person a week coming in,

"Do you buy comics? I have this like really rare comic where superman dies, how much is it worth?"

"Actually it's worth around $1, and that's if we didn't already have the 100 back issues"

"...oh"

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Now that I think about it, I don't see how this could possibly surpass the other "SUPERMAN DEFEATED!" stories, from Darkseid's humiliation of him to when Toyman teleported him into the future and Vandal Savage killed everyone in his absence.

And I keep saying it, but Doomsday stands as one of the shoddiest creations ever put to print.

I don't know much about Superman stories so could someone briefly summarize how Darkseid humiliated him? Thanks.

dclee on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, it's funny that people don't seem to understand that a comic with the highest print run of all time is never going to be rare. I saw a bunch of the "not into comics but maybe it'll be worth something someday" crowd picking up the death of Captain America issue too.

"Over my dead body."

:lol:

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But, it did spawn a great SNL skit featuring Sinbad as Black Lightning and Chris Farley as the Hulk.

we will always owe it that.
    Hulk... not good... words. Hulk write down...

*puts on glasses*

Superman was that rarest of things...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    dclee wrote: »

I don't know much about Superman stories so could someone briefly summarize how Darkseid humiliated him? Thanks.

Assuming we're talking about the DCAU version:
    1. Darkseid starts giving intergang some of his uber-tanks as part of a larger plan, and they pretty much kick Superman's ass. Orion has to bail him out.
    2. Darkseid gets his pawn, Manheim, to blow a nuclear facility outside of Metropolis and Superman wears himself out preventing the nuclear fallout/stopping big holes burning through the earth ala Apokolips.
    3. Superman gets his winded ass kicked hard by Darkseid, who then straps him to a tank and parades him around town defeated.
    4. Humans uprise, and Darkseid is getting ready to wipe em all out when Orion shows up and is all like "New Genesis is going to so beat your ass if you don't leave right the fuck now"
    5. Darkseid leaves earth, but not before he kills Dan Turpin with his Omega Beams, which sets Supes off in a very emotional "let's break shit" righetous anger scene.

Then later
    1. Darkseid has Superman kidnapped and brainwashed by Granny, making Superman think he is Darkseid's son. He turns Superman loose on earth as a conquerer, only to be taken down by a Kryptonite missile provided by Lex Luthor. (Which critically injures Supergirl, and knocks Supes out)
    2. Humans, for the most part, lose faith in Superman, as referenced many times in JLU Seasons 1 and 2.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    DMAC wrote: »
    Yeah, it's funny that people don't seem to understand that a comic with the highest print run of all time is never going to be rare. I saw a bunch of the "not into comics but maybe it'll be worth something someday" crowd picking up the death of Captain America issue too.

"Over my dead body."

:lol:

The Cap issue is going to be a good deal more rare than the Superman issue though. At least the original version, because it was more of a surprise than the death of Superman.

Still won't be worth a whole hell of a lot.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    But, it did spawn a great SNL skit featuring Sinbad as Black Lightning and Chris Farley as the Hulk.

*puts on glasses*

please let this video be online somewhere.

watchthesparks on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not to get too much out of the subject, but I also loved the Rock's SNL one.

"I heard it doesn't take kryptonite to get Superman to his knees"

noir_blood on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yeah, but I mean, how much story is there? He fights Doomsday across the U.S., I guess without the JL, you can cut even more of that. They eventually fight in Metropolis, they die. I mean, theoretically, you could tell that story in about 8 minutes.

The impression that I gathered from the interviews is that it deals a lot with Superman's absence & its effects on Metropolis. It also apparently covers his return.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

*puts on glasses*

Meh.. I tried to find it, but since YouTube got rid of everything good, it's been a no-go. It's from the 1992 season though, if that helps.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mullet-Superman is the best Superman.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Is there a second of footage in there where Doomsday has a mullet aswell? Could have sowrn I saw it there

And noway is this going to be worse than the Ultimates and Ironman animated movies *shudder*

Algertman on
  • Options
    watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

*puts on glasses*

Meh.. I tried to find it, but since YouTube got rid of everything good, it's been a no-go. It's from the 1992 season though, if that helps.

victory!

http://www.jibjab.com/jokebox/jokebox/jibjab/id/633655/jokeid/139288

watchthesparks on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Penguin was great

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    For a second there, I thought the next preview was for an animated version of Superman - At World's End

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damnit trailer not available?!?!

Someone speed me up. Is it going off of the Doomsday storyline? What with it being called Superman: Doomsday....

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Damnit trailer not available?!?!

Someone speed me up. Is it going off of the Doomsday storyline? What with it being called Superman: Doomsday....

It's the Death and Return of Superman. Doomsday arrives, Supes and Doomsday fight, Supes dies, we mourn, Supes returns, we rejoice.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

*puts on glasses*

victory!

Nicely done. Man that was a great sketch.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, It seems like it's going to be worth the wait.

They're doing this in three parts?

That means the first is going to be the best, because I know that is my favorite in the books series.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, It seems like it's going to be worth the wait.

They're doing this in three parts?

That means the first is going to be the best, because I know that is my favorite in the books series.

No, it's one 75 minute movie.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

*puts on glasses*

victory!

Nicely done. Man that was a great sketch.

Who is playing Batman in that?

EDIT: Oh, Dana Carvey.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.