As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
cham·pi·on   [cham-pee-uhn]
–noun
1. a person who has defeated all opponents in a competition or series of competitions, so as to hold first place: the heavyweight boxing champion.
2. anything that takes first place in competition: the champion of a cattle show.
3. an animal that has won a certain number of points in officially recognized shows: This dog is a champion.
4. a person who fights for or defends any person or cause: a champion of the oppressed.

on-line   [on-lahyn, awn-]
–adjective
1. operating under the direct control of, or connected to, a main computer.
2. connected by computer to one or more other computers or networks, as through a commercial electronic information service or the Internet.
3. available or operating on a computer or computer network: an on-line dictionary.
4. by means of or using a computer: on-line shopping.
Arch wrote: »
Hey, have you read this and This guide yet?

has everyone?

Because you should.

How to Play With Penny Arcadians
The first step is to join the PA channel. To do so type:

/channel_join "Penny Arcade" or "PACO"

The quotation marks are important, so use them. You can then select Penny Arcade from the drop down list next to the chat input box to talk in the channel. It's as simple as that.

This shit be free, yo. Play it.

FREE you say?

Champions Online is now free, using a two-tier account classification system. Silver Accounts are completely free but lack certain functionality (must play specific archetypes, must pay for costume unlocks, and others) while Gold accounts receive a monthly stipend of AtariFunbux as well as the ability to create fully customizable characters. If you're a paid subscriber or a lifer, you already have a gold account.

Converting Characters from Silver to Gold and Gold to Silver

Characters can be converted from one to the other but only once. Think long and hard if you want to switch one (because if you say, convert a Silver character to a Gold, you won't be able to play that character if your account drops from Gold to Silver)

Super Namicchi on

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    So... are bases in yet? :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RigellRigell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So...is it fun yet?

I tend to play it for a week every 3 months or so. It's one game I really hope improves with age, or at least untill DC online comes around.

Rigell on
    Skobes.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So... are bases in yet? :P

They are considered low priority. And with good reason. Bases in CoH were only used for the teleport pads, and with a large supergroup it allowed a single player to build a dollhouse.

Woooooo.

No, fuck that shit. Uber super low priority compared to the actual gameplay elements that still need work.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    anyone who thinks DC Online will actually be good is fooling themselves

Pony on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm downloading the demo on steam.

If I like it is there anyplace that sells the time cards for cheaps?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    best buy should still carry them

if it's not in store you can order it/have them order it and pick it up

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

is that on the cheaps, though.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I want to thank Pony for cramming his trail key down my throat and giving me better access than the base steam demo <3 Poh Nee

After Much Consideration I have created Master Inglorus.

Some kind of eldrich abomination that fires energy bolts and has some kind of energy morning star on a chain attack and flies around on a chunk of concrete bristling with rebar

I can't say I'm in love with the controls, and I've tried all the control schemes. MMO feels easiest for me.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rebind the interact key to E. Makes the game so much faster to play.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    After trying might, munitions, and finally Dual Blades I'm loving Dual blades. Munitions was very stylish, but it really felt like I was scraping by from encounter to encounter, and the aoes I had seemed to work against each other.

And my new guy is a little bit more distinct. Thanks to Kill for the super group invite.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This game is officially murder on my video card.

Its the only game that makes my card get so hot that it trips its overheat protection and shuts off.

edit

Tried it again on lower settings, still overheated my card and shut it off.

and the force restart screwed up my antivirus, and my windows authentication. :?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    After trying might, munitions, and finally Dual Blades I'm loving Dual blades. Munitions was very stylish, but it really felt like I was scraping by from encounter to encounter, and the aoes I had seemed to work against each other.

And my new guy is a little bit more distinct. Thanks to Kill for the super group invite.

should check Pony's build guide posted in the last thread.

Muni is pretty much a framework with several "paths" in it. There's the explosives-heavy path, the lots of damage ticks path, and the dual pistols semi-melee one. All of which can be really damn viable.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    This game is officially murder on my video card.

Its the only game that makes my card get so hot that it trips its overheat protection and shuts off.

edit

Tried it again on lower settings, still overheated my card and shut it off.

and the force restart screwed up my antivirus, and my windows authentication. :?

I upgraded my video card for this game, it really is hell on your system.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is why I didnt want Pony to waste one of his trial keys on me

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is why I didnt want Pony to waste one of his trial keys on me

dude i basically have unlimited trial keys

i can have 5 active at any given time

it's no big

Pony on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So is there a way to get what is basically the open trench coat, but with the bottom being a solid piece instead of the split thing? It's really bothering me.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wallhitter wrote: »

Muni is pretty much a framework with several "paths" in it. There's the explosives-heavy path, the lots of damage ticks path, and the dual pistols semi-melee one. All of which can be really damn viable.

Its just the play style is all, rocking dual blades I can stand in there and lay waste a lot easier then I could as munitions. Lot more options and I like the anims more.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I am in love with Devour Essence.

All I do is eat peoples souls erryday

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

is that on the cheaps, though.
    [strike]to interupt, did you ask for a good trail and give us an email address to send it to?[/strike]
    I want to thank Pony for cramming his trail key down my throat and giving me better access than the base steam demo <3 Poh Nee

n/m

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Its just the play style is all, rocking dual blades I can stand in there and lay waste a lot easier then I could as munitions. Lot more options and I like the anims more.

It even says in the in game description of Munitions that it sacrifices versatility for firepower.

Pretty much you don't go straight Munitions. My Munitions character leans heavily on Gadgetry, as well as taking the block from Power Armor and a passive and active defense from Infernal.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I got that jeep, but character wise it just wasn't a fit for me, the hits just lack a certain oomph.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I got that jeep, but character wise it just wasn't a fit for me, the hits just lack a certain oomph.

One of the devs on the forum said they were going to look into the complaint that the shotgun sound didn't sound... oomphy enough lol.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just posted these to the Characters thread. Recent additions to my Champions Online roster.

Imperator: Trying to stick to Sorcery as much as possible. Right now only have Defiance outside the set.

Imperator.jpg

Dagomoth: Beastly Melee and FIRE!

Dagomoth.jpg

Sovereign: Might with a splash of Force.

Sovereign.jpg

Dr. Face: Ego Blades and a few Ego pets.

DrFace.jpg

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I hope you at least glanced at Aura of Radiant Protection, Shadow Form, Seraphim, and Regeneration before going outside your framework for Defiance.

Because without Con as a SS Defiance is going to be lackluster, whereas Regen works pretty damn well without Recovery superstatted.

Aura of Radiant Protection is a pretty decent defense in Sentinel with Presence SS.
    Shadow Form buffs all paranormal damage (but has Endurance as the main scaling stat)
    Seraphim buffs all paranormal damage and healing (damage scales of Presence, healing scales off Con) and is excellent in Sentinel.

Just some suggestions.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »
    I hope you at least glanced at Aura of Radiant Protection, Shadow Form, Seraphim, and Regeneration before going outside your framework for Defiance.

Because without Con as a SS Defiance is going to be lackluster, whereas Regen works pretty damn well without Recovery superstatted.

Aura of Radiant Protection is a pretty decent defense in Sentinel with Presence SS.
    Shadow Form buffs all paranormal damage (but has Endurance as the main scaling stat)
    Seraphim buffs all paranormal damage and healing (damage scales of Presence, healing scales off Con) and is excellent in Sentinel.

Just some suggestions.

Imperator is Con/Int. I've tried all those on other guys. The only non-defensive passive I've run and liked was Shadow Form. The other two you listed would be cool if teaming was a bigger part of the game. Someday when that happens I'll probably make a Aura character as the visuals of Radiant Protection are hella cool.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just made a female fire framework called The Burning Bush.

The character editor could be a game in and of itself

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just made an action figure, roman legionare. I assume these are just the pets of champions?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Just made an action figure, roman legionare. I assume these are just the pets of champions?

Action figures are walking bobble heads. They are cosmetic only, meant for collecting.

Would be cool if we could fight them like Pokemon or something. I choose you Blank Champion!

Dr. Face on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Action figures are walking bobble heads. They are cosmetic only, meant for collecting.

Would be cool if we could fight them like Pokemon or something. I choose you Blank Champion!

That's cool, it took mats away from useful things, but fuck it I wanted a duder. Yes I'm aware you can buy them with regular money too.

Also Burt Jackson is the best quest giver, I don't care what comes later he is the best.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i did a pretty rad quest chain today

level 18, got it from Michael Scott Beck in Millennium City

it's called PSI-lent but Deadly (yeah, real mature, game)

it was actually pretty fun and a nice little deviation from the standard "go here and defeat 20 purple gang" type bullshit i've been doing for a while

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    i did a pretty rad quest chain today

level 18, got it from Michael Scott Beck in Millennium City

it's called PSI-lent but Deadly (yeah, real mature, game)

it was actually pretty fun and a nice little deviation from the standard "go here and defeat 20 purple gang" type bullshit i've been doing for a while

Yeah that and the other one where as you go the mission evolves were nice.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So I picked up Burning Chi Fist to cap off my crit-ticking Con/Dex Munitions. Why?

why the fuck not.

Edit: Dropped it for Shadow Shard. Oh god, that, plus Form Of The Unleashed Tempest, plus Killer Instinct, plus Defiance...with the Fear advantage...

Oh my god.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What level can you start doing stuff IN millenium city, instead of the crisis zones?

Arch on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    12-13.

Protip: Turn off zone chat while there. It is fucking awful.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    12-13.

I have zone turned off no matter the zone, that way if people are talking in the PA chat I don't have it bumped out by dumb. But especially in mill city.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Zone Chat is like what its like inside John Malkovichs head

if Malkovich was a self hating lunatic with multiple personality disorder, and every personality was emo and hated everything.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    wolfgangpgwolfgangpg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This will help with over heating video card: Added two new Video Options to help deal with overheating issues: Limit Frame Rate and Reduce CPU/GPU Usage. These are available under Options | Video | Advanced | Troubleshooting.

Should maybe add to the First Post?

wolfgangpg on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    12-13.

I have zone turned off no matter the zone, that way if people are talking in the PA chat I don't have it bumped out by dumb. But especially in mill city.

This is what creating chat tabs is for. I have a Penny Arcade tab that's just for Penny Arcade. I have a Team tab that's just for Team. That way I don't have to chase shit around. The only thing that I have on every tab is the /tells. I left the zone tab just in case I want to cut myself.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well my default chat tab is my PA tab so I'm good, maybe if I get in a team of more than my wife I'll change it.

Did Snake Gulch last night, I swear with all the crossing circles it was freaking maddening to figure out where the quest guys were. Also that place must be hell on a single target character, so many freaking npcs.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I need to figure out how to join the PA channel

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg