As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Statutory [Rap]

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    amazon doesn't have a release date for the new roots album ( :( ), but they'll let you pre order it.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    mmm the roots

skippydumptruck on
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've read somewhere that it is due to come out June 10th :(

Wazza on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EDIT: Small update I read on the Guru situation. The surgery was a success, and he's expected to make a full recovery.

Sad news.

Gang Starr's Guru Dead At 43
    Just over a month since undergoing surgery following a heart attack, Gang Starr MC Guru (born Keith Elam) has died at age 43. According to a statement, Guru died of cancer-related causes on Monday after a long fight with the disease.

Born on July 17, 1966, near Boston, Guru rose to fame in the late 1980s as part of the duo Gang Starr with partner DJ Premier. The pair helped define the New York underground rap sound in the 1990s. Their unique sound combined Premier's production palette, which leaned heavily on sampled jazz records and scratched vocals on the choruses, with Guru's uncompromising rhymes. Although the pair would work separately as often as they did together — Guru's Jazzmatazzseries of albums and Premier's work with Nas, Jay-Z, and underground act Group Home — Gang Starr continued to release critically acclaimed material throughout the late '90s and early 2000s.

Their 1998 album Moment of Truth was among their most critically lauded collections and Gang Starr's biggest-selling project to date. Gang Starr's last group project, The Ownerz, was released in 2003.

RIP

BubbaT on
  • JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    man, that's pretty fucking sad news, but at least he was at peace with it.

Julius on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aw shit. I was excited to see the return of this thread, but it bears such bad news.

Rest in peace.

I'm going to go listen to The Ownerz for the 213th time.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    No!

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In other news, it's finally here!

damn son

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That beat kind of reminds me of Breathe.

Also, anyone hear Devin the Dude's new album? I'm kind of feeling this track: But then again the only album of his I really like is To the Xtreme.

Also also, looks like Madlib dropped a new album yesterday. Medicine Show #4 - streaming it here right now. Reminds me of Blunted in the Bombshelter in a really good way.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited May 2010
    So Reflection Eternal has a new album

I'm like 1/3 of the way through

and it is pretty excellent so far

really enjoyed the tracks City Playgrounds and Strangers

skippydumptruck on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I saw an ad the other day for that, didn't know it was out yet. Definitely going to have to check that out, good to hear it's pretty excellent.

Prospicience on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    new reflection eternal (talib kewli and hi-tek) revolutions per minute
    plus damien marley and nas's distant relatives
    and jadakiss' new mixtape the champ is here part 3
    then theres that new jeezy.. its been a great few weeks for hip hop

valiance on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked Wu-Massacre but didn't think it was as strong as OB4CL part 2. Also, way too short.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kanye is back to rapping

I am so excited for Good Ass Job!

Qorzm on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake's new album doesn't look like it's shaping up to be as good as So Far Gone.

pyromaniac221 on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been catching some of the new Eminem tracks on the radio and they're actually pretty good.

Wibod on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm really digging the new Em tracks. Then again I thought his last album was solid while a lot of people dumped on it so what do I know?

LockedOnTarget on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What is this uplifting self-help shit? I miss wacky, psychotic Eminem.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe there's been a massive rap thread chillin' under my nose and I never took notice.

Listening to lots of raw underground shit the past few years. So much good production coming out of Europe, I pretty much love anything to come from Snowgoons and Sicknature, and the fact that they collaborate with all these sick talents from America makes for a slew of awesome tracks.

Lately they introduced me to this dude called M-dot out of Boston, and his verses from the song they remixed got me real curious about him - trying to track down his mixtapes. His flow reminds me of Termanology for some reason.

I've also been doing a fair amount of illustration work for rappers which has been super fun. Did the promo poster for MC Frontalot's last tour, and am on some album cover duty for a UK MC named Billy White. Looking forward to hearing that album, it's got a posse cut featuring Lord Lhus, Godilla, Matt Maddox and more.

Like M-dot, I haven't heard much of Matt Maddox, but he's also on my radar ever since I saw this posted on a hip hop blog:

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Only a few more days until the new roots album!

Also, if I didn't like relapse that much, is it worth picking up the new eminem?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »

Also, if I didn't like relapse that much, is it worth picking up the new eminem?

From what I've heard it's pretty much nothing like Relapse.

LockedOnTarget on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

He actually apologizes a couple of times for Relapse on a couple of tracks. Definitely worth checking out (youtube has the entire album I'm sure).

He only uses the Relapse voice once, and that's just to reference it.

And if nothing else, check it out for "No Love," should definitely get a laugh at the sample at least. It just seems Em goes harder when there's other artists on the track, Renegade, Forever, Airplanes, Drop the World are some of my favorite ones.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited June 2010
    I just picked up Operation Doomsday off Amazon and the second I opened the case, it broke into about five pieces. You'd think they would take a little pride in their work, but oh well. Album is great.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    tripwire, both of those songs you posted kinda remind me of army of the pharaohs

skippydumptruck on
  • WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    lordswing wrote: »

He actually apologizes a couple of times for Relapse on a couple of tracks. Definitely worth checking out (youtube has the entire album I'm sure).

He only uses the Relapse voice once, and that's just to reference it.

And if nothing else, check it out for "No Love," should definitely get a laugh at the sample at least. It just seems Em goes harder when there's other artists on the track, Renegade, Forever, Airplanes, Drop the World are some of my favorite ones.

Love the Way You Lie is something that I've found incredibly enjoyable despite not liking anything Rhiana has ever done.

Wibod on
    edited June 2010

They recently released this single to hold us over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKSMRjo85Ks

Wazza on
    edited June 2010
    pyromaniac221 on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    tripwire, both of those songs you posted kinda remind me of army of the pharaohs

That's probably why I'm real into it! I love the Boston and Philly scenes right now; definitely listening to a lot of AotP / JMT shit (many of those artists have done collaborations with Snowgoons, by the way. Except for Vinnie Paz, noticeably). Demigodz (Apathy and Celph Titled) are totally one of my favourites; I wonder when they'll get another album out under that name.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I take it back. Eminem might never be the Em I remember and love from his first two albums, and he's still carrying a whole mess of whiny self-pity with him, but on a lot of these new tracks, he sounds ferocious for the first time in years.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited June 2010
    Drake's new album is so...boring. The production is great but his lyrics definitely are nowhere near the level he was at in So Far Gone and he never switches his damn flow up. It's not terrible by any stretch, but it could have been so much better

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    New Roots album is out!

Wazza on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh snappu!

desc on
    edited June 2010
    yessss

pyromaniac221 on
    edited June 2010
    gonna go get it tomorrow!

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010

the roots should really drop that jimmy fallon guy from their late night show

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited June 2010

the roots should really drop that jimmy fallon guy from their late night show

I am hoping it will get them enough exposure to get some radio play, and not sell out like the friggin' Black Eyed Peas.... ugh.

Wazza on
    edited June 2010

I had the good fortune to see the Roots in concert when they played the Greek at Cal. Partway through their show ?uestlove mouthed to the others that he needed to take a shit, so they go ahead and take 5. As they slowly start filing back, they started to play a cover of Seven Nation Army, it was incredible.

Wazza on
    edited June 2010
    As good as they are on album they are ridiculous live

they used to come through eugene every couple years while I lived there, and they'd play some small venue or other

good times

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Saw 'em live as well, great goddamn show.

UnknownSaint on
    edited June 2010
    so, I am kinda ambivalent about the new roots album again

It has some good stuff but the only one that really grabs me is the title track. Plus only like 10/14 tracks are actual songs, which was a little bit disappointing. And it definitely feels a little bit like they pushed a bit to hard with the production on some of it. I felt that way about Rising Down too though, so who knows.

I understand artists are gonna evolve, but I basically just want them to make Tipping Point and Game Theory over and over again.

edit: I should really try and find some live versions of these songs, since they always seem to simplify their more complicated stuff and play it about 20 bpm faster on stage.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg