As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tales of the Old [Westerns]

12346»

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, I see why everybody talks about Lonesome Dove so much. Darned fine movie. Or miniseries. Would anyone recommend Return to Lonesome Dove?

Wyatt Earp was a disappointment, although the last hour was decent.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People hatin' on Tombstone in here?

Well forget you

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    People hatin' on Tombstone in here?

Well forget you

Tombstone was made in a period where the mythology of the West was dead. Stagecoach to the Searchers has a mythology about the growth of the West. The Man with No Name Trilogy to Unforgiven is about the brutality of the West. But right now there isn't a mythology. The only modern Western that's really touched upon it is Brokeback Mountain.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tombstone is about Kurt Russell shooting guys and Val Kilmer giving the performance of his life

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Tombstone is about Kurt Russell shooting guys and Val Kilmer giving the performance of his life

And in the end they achieve mediocrity.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It was still better than Wyatt Earp.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have now purchased The Quick and The Dead (Sharon Stone,) The Horse Soldiers, Red River, Catlow, The Sacketts and Conagher.

I watched Red River. It was a very intense story that had you rooting for the young guy the whole time. But the ending felt a little abrupt and out of character for John Wayne's character.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have now purchased The Quick and The Dead (Sharon Stone,) The Horse Soldiers, Red River, Catlow, The Sacketts and Conagher.

I watched Red River. It was a very intense story that had you rooting for the young guy the whole time. But the ending felt a little abrupt and out of character for John Wayne's character.

I thought it was rather fitting, for him to realize that he finally had an equal allowed him to relax.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Let me know how you like The Sacketts. That's one of my all time favorites just for the cast.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I took a western film class not too long ago, was pretty awesome. If you love westerns, you should really read 'Blood Meridian or the Evening Redness in the West' by Cormac McCarthy. It's amazing.

Cheeseliker on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I just finished The Quick and The Dead with Sharon Stone. It was.. not as bad as I remember it. It was very stylized, but after watching Leone a bit, that didn't bother me as much. It was a rather enjoyable flick.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Watching Fort Apache.

First John Wayne film I have voluntarily watched in a long time. Hopefully I will enjoy this.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I finally got The Professionals. It was excellent.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man I want the Professionals. I've got a bunch of Westerns on Blu-ray on my wishlist.

I recently picked up Wanted: Dead or Alive. It is a Western show from the 60s I think, with Steve McQueen as a bounty hunter with a heart of gold and mare's leg. (cut down lever action rifle in place of the typical revolver)

The first episode was OK. About what I expected. Kind of cheesy, the bad guys escape twice because McQueen gets hit on the head, but it was pretty good.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Watched She Wore A Yellow Ribbon yesterday and really enjoyed it. I think I'm actually starting to like Westerns! Rio Grande is next, though when depends on LoveFilm.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Watched She Wore A Yellow Ribbon yesterday and really enjoyed it. I think I'm actually starting to like Westerns! Rio Grande is next, though when depends on LoveFilm.

O'Hara and Wayne have a wonderful chemistry. If you like Rio Grande, then look at McLintock.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    On my recent roadtrip down to Texas I listened to an Audiobook of Lonesome Dove. Awesome, awesome novel.

Mortal Sky on