As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did they ever show that machinima they made?

It was Act 1 shortened down into a half hour show. It had some nice camera angles you can't get in game... decent directing. I don't feel like I wasted a half hour watching it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Is there any good way to look at how many kills I've got with a given weapon type (i.e. pistol) or something so I have a rough idea of where I'm at achievement-wise for pistols and rifles?

It's in the stats somewhere. Combat, I think.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

It was Act 1 shortened down into a half hour show. It had some nice camera angles you can't get in game... decent directing. I don't feel like I wasted a half hour watching it, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Ah, I was kind of afraid that would be it. I don't feel bad for missing it, then.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I finally got 100% over the weekend.

Aside from looking sharp as fuck in my federal outfit. I have nothing else to do.

I very rarely 100% any game, but I just felt compelled to do so with Redemption. Mostly because I didnt want it to end.

Does anyone have a list of fun cheats to mess around with?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    mofojacksonmofojackson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone have a list of fun cheats to mess around with?
    Always drunk I'M DRUNK AS A SKUNK AND TWICE AS SMELLY
    Become a nobody. HUMILITY BEFORE THE LORD
    Decrease Bounty THEY SELL SOULS CHEAP HERE
    Diplomatic Immunity I WISH I WORKED FOR UNCLE SAM
    Enable the Sepia filter. THE OLD WAYS IS THE BEST WAYS
    Fame I AM ONE OF THEM FAMOUS FELLAS
    Get $500. THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL, WE THANK YOU!
    Good Guy IT AINT PRIDE. IT'S HONOR
    Gun Set 1 IT'S MY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT
    Gun Set 2 I'M AN AMERICAN. I NEED GUNS
    Infinite ammo ABUNDANCE IS EVERYWHERE
    Infinite Dead Eye I DON'T UNDERSTAND IMNFINITY
    Infinite Horse Stamina MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES
    Invincibility HE GIVES STRENGTH TO THE WEAK
    Man in Uniform I LOVE A MAN IN UNIFORM
    Play As Jack OH MY SON, MY BLESSED SON
    Sharp Dressed Man DON'T YOU LOOK FINE AND DANDY
    Spawn a horse-drawn coach. NOW WHO PUT THAT THERE?
    Spawn a horse. BEASTS AND MAN TOGETHER
    Unlock all areas. YOU GOT YOURSELF A FINE PAIR OF EYES
    Unlock All Gang Outfits YOU THINK YOU TOUGH, MISTER?

As copy-pasted from GameFAQs.

mofojackson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, but is that really all there is?

Disappointing.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Disappointing.

Social Club challenges sometimes have cheats as rewards, so they might come up with something interesting yet.

I know the Pike's Basin challenge gives you a cheat.

mofojackson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Disappointing.

Social Club challenges sometimes have cheats as rewards, so they might come up with something interesting yet.

I know the Pike's Basin challenge gives you a cheat.

Forgive my ignorance but I have been without intertrons at home for a while now.

How do the social club challenges work?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In your start menu there's a social club tab. Through there you can either login with an existing social club account or create a new one. This unlocks the gentleman's attire, a badass white suit like something the Joker would wear if he was an evil poker playing cowboy.

After you log in with your account, you can go to Pike's Basin in single player to begin the social club challenge. The start menu tab will show you certain objectives to complete, such as kill all enemies while on horse back. If you complete all the objectives, you get a cheat code.

mofojackson on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    In your start menu there's a social club tab. Through there you can either login with an existing social club account or create a new one. This unlocks the gentleman's attire, a badass white suit like something the Joker would wear if he was an evil poker playing cowboy.

After you log in with your account, you can go to Pike's Basin in single player to begin the social club challenge. The start menu tab will show you certain objectives to complete, such as kill all enemies while on horse back. If you complete all the objectives, you get a cheat code.

Righto, cheers.

I guess that's more stuff to do then when I get hooked back up to the interwebs.

As well as playing the game online, of course. Speaking of which, has the patch improved things?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Ah, I was kind of afraid that would be it. I don't feel bad for missing it, then.
    It's on Youtube if you still want to see it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUUVV2rjoc

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I noticed some places were not used in the campaign. Are they for future DLCs or are did I miss some mission? Like in Hennigan's stead there's some ranch/farm in south area before the cliff. I think there was another one way south of Armadillo.
    I finally finished the game. The first 2 times I thought I finished, but I was tricked. I thought killing/capturing Dutch was the end game, but I was wrong. Then I thought getting killed via Butch and the Sundance Kid ending was the end. I was wrong.

When I came back as Jack Marston, I was like this must be the end, I don't see any more quest circles, so I guess I should do all the strangers and such. So I bought a newspaper and in there I read Agent Edgar Ross retired to Don Julio Lake.

My first thought was REVENGE at LAST! So I fast travel there and nobody was there. I was a sad panda... I figured "Damn you Rockstar, for teasing me." Somehow traveling to Blackwater I saw a stranger circle in town and I talked to the guy. He gave me the same info that Edgar Ross was at Don Julio Lake.

I was like "YES! REVENGE SHALL BE MINE!" So it started me on a mini chain of quests to lead to Edgar Ross. All along the way, I was hoping it wasn't some lame plot where they cop out and have Edgar Ross not be the villain by having him blame the government. Turns out the bastard didn't care and threatened to kill me.

FYI you can not disarm him in duel. I tried in hopes I would have more time to torture him, but I got killed :(

So I did the mini chain again putting a bullet in his wife, a bullet into his brother and then 50 rounds(1 stick of dynamite, and 1 fire bottle) into him. Then it blacks out to a screen where the words "RED DEAD REDEMPTION" pop out, then scrolling credits. Quite satisfying! In fact I left the save prior so I could do it again and again.

Is there a faster way to on online multiplayer to gain experience besides grinding bandit camps?

Schwhat on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Late-late game spoilers, and a whole heaping amount of praise for you fine folks.
    So I killed Dutch. Or watched him die rather. Then the song kicks in as I go to see Abigail. Holy fucking moving. Unreal that this is a video game.

To put a face and voice with the name was just amazing. I really was smiling. It was bringing out emotions a game never had before. Then JACK. The way he called him "sir". Man oh man, how amazing.

And then I see the games not over!? Im doing CHORES! BONNIE IS BACK?!

Sweet fucking christ this is the BEST GAME EVER. And I want to thank EVERYONE here for keeping this so under wraps. Im used to getting 'semi-spoiled' in these threads. Someone makes a comment like "Jack cant ride a horse worth shit" and although it doesnt give away MUCH, anyone can deduce that it means Ill get to see Jack on a horse. And then the whole game I wait for it. I saw voice actors in the booklet for Abigail and Jack, so I KNEW they were coming -- but actually SPENDING QUALITY TIME WITH MY FAMILY!? I am absolutely floored and shocked, and it's an amazing suprise.

Now, as I finish out the game, I am purely 10000% terrified. This is a Rockstar game. Something is going on. Rockstar has done something NO GAME has ever done before. Not even FABLE, who made it their GOAL.

I care about my family. If ANYONE fucks with my family, my maxed out HERO bar is going to DIVE. And I just know in my gut thats going to happen. And John Marston is going to lose his fucking mind.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Late-late game spoilers, and a whole heaping amount of praise for you fine folks.
    So I killed Dutch. Or watched him die rather. Then the song kicks in as I go to see Abigail. Holy fucking moving. Unreal that this is a video game.

To put a face and voice with the name was just amazing. I really was smiling. It was bringing out emotions a game never had before. Then JACK. The way he called him "sir". Man oh man, how amazing.

And then I see the games not over!? Im doing CHORES! BONNIE IS BACK?!

Sweet fucking christ this is the BEST GAME EVER. And I want to thank EVERYONE here for keeping this so under wraps. Im used to getting 'semi-spoiled' in these threads. Someone makes a comment like "Jack cant ride a horse worth shit" and although it doesnt give away MUCH, anyone can deduce that it means Ill get to see Jack on a horse. And then the whole game I wait for it. I saw voice actors in the booklet for Abigail and Jack, so I KNEW they were coming -- but actually SPENDING QUALITY TIME WITH MY FAMILY!? I am absolutely floored and shocked, and it's an amazing suprise.

Now, as I finish out the game, I am purely 10000% terrified. This is a Rockstar game. Something is going on. Rockstar has done something NO GAME has ever done before. Not even FABLE, who made it their GOAL.

I care about my family. If ANYONE fucks with my family, my maxed out HERO bar is going to DIVE. And I just know in my gut thats going to happen. And John Marston is going to lose his fucking mind.

Good post, I agree completely, and have finished the game.

[Intentionally vague] Keep playing. It just gets better and better.[/Intentionally vague]

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chronicles of the SBS (Special Bear Service):

Kodiak: Claw, you've got a bead on him?
    Claw: Aye. Thirteen clicks West, Lieutenant.
    Kodiak: Move.
    [Intense music plays as the SBS squad traverses Tall Trees quickly and silently. The bears pause behind cover, perfectly camouflaged. Marston is busy skinning something.]
    Greyfur: Dammit, he's got one of ours.
    Kodiak: ...Now.
    [The Bears simultaneously leap from the trees, jaws agape. Marston doesn't make it. As Claw walks away from the kill, Greyfur and Kodiak visible in the background, the title card stamps fiercely onto the screen.

CALL OF THE WILD : MODERN WARBEAR 2]

Kazaka on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People wanting to torture npcs in this game and murder the npc's family (who were largely ignorant of things) freaks me out, regardless of what the npc did to the player character.

I hope we get some huge DLC for this. I understand the DLC for GTA IV was fairly huge-- I've heard that the two of them together are nearly equal to the game itself. I don't know if that is an overstatement or not. A campaign with the player starting a new outlaw gang in the post-game setting would be awesome. Some sort of Dillinger//Bonnie and Clyde thing maybe. I was hoping for some kind of gang territory mechanic, like San Andreas before we knew what kind of character Marston was.

Hell, that would make an awesome setting for the next Red Dead game. The West after World War I, the whole Bonnie and Clyde/etc thing mixed with the bleakness of the Grapes of Wrath and the fun yet desperate adventure of O Brother Where Art Thou...

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    People wanting to torture npcs in this game and murder the npc's family (who were largely ignorant of things) freaks me out, regardless of what the npc did to the player character.
    You're not the only one, believe me.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't want top torture them, I just want to execute every last one of them. Except maybe Bonnie.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't want you to not pay how you want, it just freaks me out sometimes. I really don't care how you dudes play the game, in fact, the more enjoyment you get out of it the better.

I'm just sharing (or agreeing with DD's sharing) that sometimes I get creeped out when reading some of the instant-replays some of you dudes share with us.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Chronicles of the SBS (Special Bear Service):

Kodiak: Claw, you've got a bead on him?
    Claw: Aye. Thirteen clicks West, Lieutenant.
    Kodiak: Move.
    [Intense music plays as the SBS squad traverses Tall Trees quickly and silently. The bears pause behind cover, perfectly camouflaged. Marston is busy skinning something.]
    Greyfur: Dammit, he's got one of ours.
    Kodiak: ...Now.
    [The Bears simultaneously leap from the trees, jaws agape. Marston doesn't make it. As Claw walks away from the kill, Greyfur and Kodiak visible in the background, the title card stamps fiercely onto the screen.

CALL OF THE WILD : MODERN WARBEAR 2]

Nice. The warbear thing makes me want a bear mount.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I don't want top torture them, I just want to execute every last one of them. Except maybe Bonnie.

end end game spoiler
    I'm specifically talking about the people who murder Ross's wife and his brother. They had nothing to do with Ross's treatment of the Marston family.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010

end end game spoiler
    I'm specifically talking about the people who murder Ross's wife and his brother. They had nothing to do with Ross's treatment of the Marston family.

I can't read your spoiler yet and I dont really know what you mean by people toruting characters but pretty much the entire cast does deserve a bullet in the head. That you can't give one to Reyes irks me.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's the whole 'yeah, I got really emotionally involved towards the end' followed by an almost orgasmic, borderline gleeful writeup of torture and murders.

The step from emotional to certain kills is understandable, but sometimes it steps into 'yeah, baby, eat those bullets. Ungh yeah!.'

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    edited June 2010

end end game spoiler

I can't read your spoiler yet and I dont really know what you mean by people toruting characters but pretty much the entire cast does deserve a bullet in the head. That you can't give one to Reyes irks me.

It is one thing to want to shoot the bastards that gave you missions. It is another thing to want to murder their families, or to set an NPC's wife on fire by exploding the oil lamp on her porch. Or to wish you could disarm one of the characters in a duel so you could torture him somehow.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I hope we get some huge DLC for this. I understand the DLC for GTA IV was fairly huge-- I've heard that the two of them together are nearly equal to the game itself. I don't know if that is an overstatement or not. A campaign with the player starting a new outlaw gang in the post-game setting would be awesome. Some sort of Dillinger//Bonnie and Clyde thing maybe. I was hoping for some kind of gang territory mechanic, like San Andreas before we knew what kind of character Marston was.

Hell, that would make an awesome setting for the next Red Dead game. The West after World War I, the whole Bonnie and Clyde/etc thing mixed with the bleakness of the Grapes of Wrath and the fun yet desperate adventure of O Brother Where Art Thou...

If there is DLC, I hope it's
    You playing as Ross or Fordham, traveling around trying to civilize the west. It would be a nice touch to have you playing as the "other side".

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

end end game spoiler

It is one thing to want to shoot the bastards that gave you missions. It is another thing to want to murder their families, or to set an NPC's wife on fire by exploding the oil lamp on her porch. Or to wish you could disarm one of the characters in a duel so you could torture him somehow.

For the ending
    I didn't even think to kill Ross' family, but I do wish they'd have let you disarm him in the duel. Not to torture him as you mention, but to let him live as an alternative ending. I mean, after having you meet his family I didn't really want to kill him, and if I let him live I could feel smug about my moral superiority over an NPC. Better than just another tally to the hundreds long list of people I shot in the face, at any rate.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

You playing as Ross or Fordham, traveling around trying to civilize the west. It would be a nice touch to have you playing as the "other side".
    I'm actually holding out hope for Fordham as he wasn't that much a goose. Also he was notably absent from John's 'firing squad'.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

I'm actually holding out hope for Fordham as he wasn't that much a goose. Also he was notably absent from John's 'firing squad'.
    I understand why he did it that way for the story, but I was totally thinking that he could have gone up top and taken them out with well placed dynamites.

EDIT: Oh wait, I just got it, it was so they'd not go after his family.

I am a durrr

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

end end game spoiler

These GTA-style games brings out a certain psychopathy. It's somewhat telling.

Mostly, it's just a cavalier attitude to things that aren't 'real'. But it's the disconnect between becoming so attached to one thing that isn't real, that the response becomes so out of proportion.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    For the ending
    I didn't even think to kill Ross' family, but I do wish they'd have let you disarm him in the duel. Not to torture him as you mention, but to let him live as an alternative ending. I mean, after having you meet his family I didn't really want to kill him, and if I let him live I could feel smug about my moral superiority over an NPC. Better than just another tally to the hundreds long list of people I shot in the face, at any rate.
    Like I said I was hoping they didn't cop out like that and have him blame higher-ups in the gov't.

In the old days, it was an eye for an eye. If you read the newspaper after you become Jack Martson; they made Edgar look like a darn hero even though he had no hand in killing any of Dutch's gang and stopping an Indian uprising along with that. Getting away looking like a hero after so much blood on his hands...

Moral superiority, after Edgar tells you to run away little boy before he decides to kill you? Nope, execution for the whole lot. It might seem extreme, but I'd like to think

1) Edgar killed Uncle (so I killed his brother).
    2) Edgar didn't kill Abigail directly (but the death of John Marston left a toll which led to her early and strenuous death so I killed him for that - FYI John Marston died in 1911 and Abigail in 1914).
    3) Edgar killed John Marston (so I killed him).

All in all, he killed my whole family and had no remorse of doing so I think it's fair I do the same. Edgar is still a hero in the history books in the end. Not to mention this way there eliminating family members means no blood feud revenge.

Schwhat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That's a lot of mental wrangling if you ask me, but whatever. As long as you've enjoyed your play-through. :)

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    For the ending
    Like I said I was hoping they didn't cop out like that and have him blame higher-ups in the gov't.

In the old days, it was an eye for an eye. If you read the newspaper after you become Jack Martson; they made Edgar look like a darn hero even though he had no hand in killing any of Dutch's gang and stopping an Indian uprising along with that. Getting away looking like a hero after so much blood on his hands...

Moral superiority, after Edgar tells you to run away little boy before he decides to kill you? Nope, execution for the whole lot. It might seem extreme, but I'd like to think

2) Edgar didn't kill Abigail directly (but the death of John Marston left a toll which led to her early and strenuous death so I killed him for that - FYI John Marston died in 1911 and Abigail in 1914).

All in all, he killed my whole family and had no remorse of doing so I think it's fair I do the same. Edgar is still a hero in the history books in the end. Not to mention this way there eliminating family members means no blood feud revenge.
    Well, that's what I'm saying. In the end, killing him makes Jack no better than Ross was for killing John. And killing Ross' family actually makes you worse. Disarming him and leaving him alive to live what life he has left in shame and fear seems like a better ending to me. Not to mention the aforementioned smugness, which is of course the real reward. I just think it ought have been an option, like killing Ross' family obviously was.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For the ending

Well, that's what I'm saying. In the end, killing him makes Jack no better than Ross was for killing John. And killing Ross' family actually makes you worse. Disarming him and leaving him alive to live what life he has left in shame and fear seems like a better ending to me. Not to mention the aforementioned smugness, which is of course the real reward. I just think it ought have been an option, like killing Ross' family obviously was.
    Ross was an ass and needed to die. I didnt like him from the first time you get to Blackwater with his constant preaching on why he was better than Marston and why he will never be fully reformed. This was based on the pretext that you can never change who you are. Which is utter bullshit. Ross basically condemned John to death because of his past and the actions John had to take in order to get the mission done. A mission the Agent's sent him on because they were either chicken shit or just your normal higher ups taking the credit. In the end I was happy to put a full cylander in his head.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    For the ending

Ross was an ass and needed to die. I didnt like him from the first time you get to Blackwater with his constant preaching on why he was better than Marston and why he will never be fully reformed. This was based on the pretext that you can never change who you are. Which is utter bullshit. Ross basically condemned John to death because of his past and the actions John had to take in order to get the mission done. A mission the Agent's sent him on because they were either chicken shit or just your normal higher ups taking the credit. In the end I was happy to put a full cylander in his head.
    Well, 'needed' is a strong word. But in the context of confronting him, face-to-face? Yeah. If he lives, he's still probably got connections (his wife talks about how the Bureau won't let him go), so walking up to the man responsible for killing your father, shooting him, then letting him live to think about it, would be a monumentally stupid idea.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I guess you could disarm him. But then the ending would be as you walk away Edgar would shoot you in the back. The problem is with high-road approach is that Edgar's character doesn't have one ounce of remorse with what he did; not killing him would just end up with him trying to kill you as you walk away or sending the army/feds after you sooner/later. As in real life, people like Edgar would only pretend to show remorse if you put a gun to his head, but once you turn around expect that proverbial knife in your back or business as usual from them.

Schwhat on
  • Options
    The Grey GOATThe Grey GOAT Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I must be one sick bastard.

I see some people posting that they are horrified about the stories people post of what they do in these games to NPC's. Well, I must confess just about everytime I am done playing and the game has auto-saved, I go on a muderous rampage for about 20-30 minutes. I'm talking killing everything from dogs to people begging for their life. I've been doing this since GTA 3. Whether it's sniping from a tower, shooting people in the legs and after they fall, drill them in the head from 100 yards away. Yesterday I stole a cart and found the highest bridge and drove it and the horses off the side while trying to bail out at the last minute. I earned the "Dastardly" achievement without even trying, I just figure it would be a good idea to see what would happen to a person lying on the tracks. I think the worst was a few days ago I capped a stagecoach driver, then I fire bombed the horses. All I can say about that one is....good thing I hadn't unlocked dynamite yet. I've hogtied an entire saloon and then either lit them on fire or executed them if I felt the need, like I said, don't give me dynamite.

Sometimes I do it to see what happens, other times I kill a whole town just to see how long I can survive the law enforcement. There are other times you just see some hilarious shit, like a random guy speeding by on a horse who I deadeyed in the face with a firebomb. He did a back flip off the horse and landed in a sitting position while still on fire, the horse was ok though. Another fun one was as the train was speeding by I shot the engineer from about 200 yards out with the Winchester. His body was literaly sucked out of the train.

Yeah, it's cruel, evil, sick, and twisted, but it's a game. I do wonder sometimes what that little 8 year old who has this game might be thinking though.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." -HST
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a lot of fun with horse thieves. Sometimes I'll hogtie them and throw them over cliffs, or put them on train tracks, or leave them in an area full of wolves and lay down some bait (that one didn't seem to work though).

Shooting people in the legs is fun just to see how Euphoria reacts. I love the crazy flips people do.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    I have a lot of fun with horse thieves. Sometimes I'll hogtie them and throw them over cliffs, or put them on train tracks, or leave them in an area full of wolves and lay down some bait (that one didn't seem to work though).

Shooting people in the legs is fun just to see how Euphoria reacts. I love the crazy flips people do.

Exactly, it's almost fun just to see how much detail the developers put into the game. Seeing people get hit in the leg, or fall off a horse and get dragged never get's old. It's like watching a movie you have complete control over.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, it's cruel, evil, sick, and twisted, but it's a game. I do wonder sometimes what that little 8 year old who has this game might be thinking though.

I've gone on psychotic rampages, too. But mostly after being completely frustrated by something and needing to blow off some steam before reloading. Like in GTA, if a driver cuts me off and spins me out or something, messing up what I was about to do (maybe even killing me), I might pull the driver out of their car and unload all my bullets into them. Or start chucking explosive everywhere or get as high a wanted level and try to survive as long as possible.

I get that it's just a game and that these actions have no real repercussions...
    ...but it's the sheer glee people exhibit in doing something to a character they just met who had no actual involvement in the plot point in question.

As usual, Penny Arcade probably covered it...

215233588_hAuxz-L-2.jpg

Hell, if a game allowed the player to kick a puppy, I'd probably do it just to see it. But I wouldn't be planning on it as some kind of revenge fantasy for the puppy's mother or father biting my mom or dad...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I've gone on psychotic rampages, too. But mostly after being completely frustrated by something and needing to blow off some steam before reloading. Like in GTA, if a driver cuts me off and spins me out or something, messing up what I was about to do (maybe even killing me), I might pull the driver out of their car and unload all my bullets into them. Or start chucking explosive everywhere or get as high a wanted level and try to survive as long as possible.

I get that it's just a game and that these actions have no real repercussions...
    ...but it's the sheer glee people exhibit in doing something to a character they just met who had no actual involvement in the plot point in question.

As usual, Penny Arcade probably covered it...

215233588_hAuxz-L-2.jpg

Hell, if a game allowed the player to kick a puppy, I'd probably do it just to see it. But I wouldn't be planning on it as some kind of revenge fantasy for the puppy's mother or father biting my mom or dad...

Pretty much. I mean look at it this way...in games like God of War, Mortal Kombat, or Man Hunt (3 Violent Non Sanbox games I can think of) they do some pretty violent stuff. You're not really given a choice. I think that's what made GTA so popular to begin with is that freedom. It feels so limiting playing a game where only enemies can be harmed. Why not be able to kill the shop keeper and his dog too? Are we more evil than Kratos who:
    Beats the living shit out of Posiden then gouges his eyes out
    because that's part of the story?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing those who feel this type of behavior is a bit on the psycopathic side because it kinda is....:mrgreen:....but I'm just examing the rational of why players like me tend to murder NPC's.

The Grey GOAT on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.