As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think we can all agree that it's perfectly acceptable to murder Herbert Moon every time he comes running out screaming his own name.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When murdering some character is entirely optional and provides no benefit whatsoever, and people do it anyway, and fantasize about doing it in a crueler way than the game allows, then things are weird.

DouglasDanger on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just imagine I limed Rez's and Douglas' posts right above this one.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that it's perfectly acceptable to murder Herbert Moon every time he comes running out screaming his own name.

I'm still fairly convinced he's old greg.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »
    Well, that's what I'm saying. In the end, killing him makes Jack no better than Ross was for killing John. And killing Ross' family actually makes you worse. Disarming him and leaving him alive to live what life he has left in shame and fear seems like a better ending to me. Not to mention the aforementioned smugness, which is of course the real reward. I just think it ought have been an option, like killing Ross' family obviously was.
    Yeah, I guess you could disarm him. But then the ending would be as you walk away Edgar would shoot you in the back. The problem is with high-road approach is that Edgar's character doesn't have one ounce of remorse with what he did; not killing him would just end up with him trying to kill you as you walk away or sending the army/feds after you sooner/later. As in real life, people like Edgar would only pretend to show remorse if you put a gun to his head, but once you turn around expect that proverbial knife in your back or business as usual from them.

I don't think I'm doing a good job of expressing what I'd like to happen. But I don't know how to say it better, so I'll just stop.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think you're getting your point across, but I think it just wouldn't work from a storytelling perspective unless you retooled a lot of the story up to that point.
    We're dealing with one underdeveloped character (Jack) and one incredibly underdeveloped character (Ross). The way the game ends is by far the easiest way to close the book on the story, given how little the characters involved have been fleshed out.

"You killed my pa and now you're dead." It's easy to understand, and it's sympathetic no matter how little we've been made to care about the characters involved. I can see what you're saying about wanting more options, but I can't blame the devs for choosing a (relatively) clean ending.

Captain K on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just beat it. Best game I have ever played. First game to ever get me choked up.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Just beat it. Best game I have ever played. First game to ever get me choked up.

Credits roll?

Ceno on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Dammit, why won't the US Army scrap become available at Blackwater? I've got two pieces already but the damn tailor's scrap just stays unavailable.

Bogart on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    Dammit, why won't the US Army scrap become available at Blackwater? I've got two pieces already but the damn tailor's scrap just stays unavailable.

It becomes available eventually.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    edited June 2010
    Ceno wrote: »

Credits roll?

Of course. The song was why i choked up.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah that was a great song to end on.

Also, regarding the current ending discussion:
    Really, I think what it boils down to is that this is a Cowboy-ass game. You do some cowboy shit up in this.

And exacting revenge for your dead father is a pretty cowboy thing to do.

Foolish Chaos on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    I have a lot of fun with horse thieves. Sometimes I'll hogtie them and throw them over cliffs, or put them on train tracks, or leave them in an area full of wolves and lay down some bait (that one didn't seem to work though).

Shooting people in the legs is fun just to see how Euphoria reacts. I love the crazy flips people do.

Last night I hogtied a thief, took him to the river and dropped him on the slope. He slid down into the river with no honor hit.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So a few friends and I discovered that you can just hop out of the map in FFA matches online and run across the world. We discovered this because the three of us decided to chase a random goat across the countryside, kicking it in the ass.

The next match we went to a different city to see if the guns spawned (they don't) and had a big fist fight in the middle of that town.

I still wonder what the guy who joined the match halfway through was thinking when he saw the messages about us knocking each other out and couldn't find us.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope that this game does well enough to justify expansions to the investors/marketing. Riding around in free roam makes me realise just how little of the map I actually visited, explored and took in during my first story run through.

I am torn between wanting existing likable characters - the marshals in armadillo for instance, or Bonnie - to make a return and having a whole new set in a different time period, maybe in the early days of the railway before Tumbleweed was deserted. I can't see many ponts in the story where it could interweave with another story told from a different narrator, as they did with the episodes from Liberty City.

edit. My best horse thief solution was to tie her up and take her to Coot's Chapel to put her in an open grave. Unfortunately as soon as Seth's cut scene finished the grave was filled in and the woman was gone.

Pete0r on
  • MR445MR445 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pete0r wrote: »
    edit. My best horse thief solution was to tie her up and take her to Coot's Chapel to put her in an open grave. Unfortunately as soon as Seth's cut scene finished the grave was filled in and the woman was gone.

Haha, that would have been a nice way to deal with a horse thief.

I prefer whistling then capping them in the head in dead eye while they're falling. Although I accidentally killed my horse this way once. :(

MR445 on
    XBL: MR445
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rockstar Social club has decided while I'm trying to sign up that my birthday is invalid

I'm over 18 so I don't see how that's possible

would someone care to explain if this has happened before?

T4CT on
    edited June 2010
    Does the social club website take a little while to update? I saw the credits roll today, but I have 56 of 57 missions complete, which I don't understand.

I'm also missing 2 strangers, which will take forever to find.

mxmarks on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man I'm kind of tempted to pick up a 360 slim and then Red Dead Redemption for that, but I already have the PS3 version.

Are the graphical differences that great between the two?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Not only does it take a while, but it's broken. My page shows no challenges or strangers completed and only partial outfits done.

Then again, I think it requires the game to boot once after doing anything before the site will update. And I haven't done so since getting 100%. It's pretty crappy.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    Rockstar Social club has decided while I'm trying to sign up that my birthday is invalid

I'm over 18 so I don't see how that's possible

would someone care to explain if this has happened before?

were you born on Feb 29?

Joolander on
    edited June 2010
    Man I'm kind of tempted to pick up a 360 slim and then Red Dead Redemption for that, but I already have the PS3 version.

I heard it was mostly more tufts of grass.

DouglasDanger on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it would be interesting to play as a rebel or a government agent for Episodes type DLC. Especially an agent, maybe your a new guy, and your tracking John Marston's actions Or maybe they could expand West Elizabeth and have a big part of the campaign there, or maybe your a double agent trying to bring down the Agency for someone, or maybe your trying to bring down the gangs once for all, the Walton Gang, Bollard gang, and the Native American gang (Not going to say the name because it might spoil something). Also haven't been playing RDR lately, been playing Bad Company 2.

Kadoken on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Game can be a little uncomfortably heavy handed on "GUBBERMENT :argh:" at times but I'm enjoying it a whole hell of a lot! It's slightly silly that they just up and give you one of the best horses in the game right off the bat though.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited June 2010
    Do different breeds of horses behave differently? I still have the stallion from that horse-catching mission for Bonnie, and the damn thing will not hold still. I have a hell of a time putting a bounty target on there, or getting someone off of the horse.

DouglasDanger on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Do different breeds of horses behave differently? I still have the stallion from that horse-catching mission for Bonnie, and the damn thing will not hold still. I have a hell of a time putting a bounty target on there, or getting someone off of the horse.

Just whistle at it, it'll stop fidgeting.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I heard it was mostly more tufts of grass.

The PS3 version lacks anti aliasing and applies a soft filter, so it looks a bit less crisp, and it places less grass sprites around the world. You don't see a difference unless you're looking for it, really.

-Loki- on
    edited June 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Just whistle at it, it'll stop fidgeting.

Actually, Blondie doesn't ever stop fidgeting. Well, eventually, but man that horse has a case of the nerves or something.

DouglasDanger on
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For the Social Club Challenge, what does it mean by "Drag an enemy through the basin"? From one end to the other? Just though the main area where the shootout is? The fact that it's impossible to shoot while holding the rope makes it really difficult, and to go fast enough to avoid being hit means that the drag-ee gets brained on a rock before I get very far.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bursar wrote: »
    For the Social Club Challenge, what does it mean by "Drag an enemy through the basin"? From one end to the other? Just though the main area where the shootout is? The fact that it's impossible to shoot while holding the rope makes it really difficult, and to go fast enough to avoid being hit means that the drag-ee gets brained on a rock before I get very far.

Just drag a dude for like 5 seconds. It should fulfill the challenge.

Renzo on
    edited June 2010
    I don't think you even have to accomplish all the goals to get that cheat. I only got two of three and it was given to me.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2010
    So am I the only one who post credits thought:
    That I would run into Ghost John?

My line of thinking being - I started to wonder...John made a couple refrences to not knowing his father. The man from "I Know You" was clearly dressed in a non-wild west get up, and knew John. I started thinking maybe that was John's FATHER coming to him, and seeing how his son turned out. And since he was a dick, he treated John like a dick in death.

And then John dies, and I was half expecting to see "I Know You" pop up again, only this time it was John.

mxmarks on
    edited June 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    My take on all things endgame:
    I appreciated the fact that there was no "all your favorite characters come together again" moment at the end. Makes the world seem bigger and more believable, and avoids the Star Wars syndrome of there being 4 planets in the whole galaxy. Showing that one (heartbreaking) moment with Bonnie was more than enough, and even then John was establishing a healthy business relationship in order to jumpstart his ranch, he wasn't running into her arms.

They also did a fantastic job of making Marston's wife an incredibly likeable character very quickly. It would have been easy for them to make her a shrew, and for John to have every excuse to have cheated on her or left her for Bonnie, but they fought that and it makes the ending pay off, because you finally get to briefly see the life of a game character AFTER he's "saved the princess" (for lack of a better term).

As far as Jack goes, it definitely adds an intriguing dynamic to post-game play. Jack is a shadow of his father, all of his fame/honor/achievements literally belong to John and are unearned, and his ultimate existence is relatively hollow. He can finish his father's unfinished stranger missions, but otherwise leads a hollow, meaningless existence, and that is bizarrely resonate with the post-endgame experience in most open world games.

I'm not sure I would really like to see anything added to this game via DLC or a sequel. Rockstar did an extraordinary job of making this game stand on its own, and I think I'd like them to take their open world experimentation into yet another setting, rather than try to beat more money out of a Red Dead franchise.

Gotta disagree on one point...
    Ya there may be no scene where everyone comes together, but you just so happen to stumble across the fates of almost all the main secondary characters.
    Irish kills himself, Bonnie marries, the Marshell retires, Reyes becomes a tyrant, the professor gets kicked our of yale AGIAN, ect.

It is one of those overly convenient factors.

This is from page 23, but Im reading everything about the endgame now that I can, and I had NO IDEA any of the spoilers here. Ive seen the credits. Where do I find this information? The newspaper I am yet to buy? Kinda bummed I spoiled it, but its the ONLY thing Ive been spoiled on, and it means nothing really.

mxmarks on
    edited June 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    My take on all things endgame:
    I appreciated the fact that there was no "all your favorite characters come together again" moment at the end. Makes the world seem bigger and more believable, and avoids the Star Wars syndrome of there being 4 planets in the whole galaxy. Showing that one (heartbreaking) moment with Bonnie was more than enough, and even then John was establishing a healthy business relationship in order to jumpstart his ranch, he wasn't running into her arms.

They also did a fantastic job of making Marston's wife an incredibly likeable character very quickly. It would have been easy for them to make her a shrew, and for John to have every excuse to have cheated on her or left her for Bonnie, but they fought that and it makes the ending pay off, because you finally get to briefly see the life of a game character AFTER he's "saved the princess" (for lack of a better term).

As far as Jack goes, it definitely adds an intriguing dynamic to post-game play. Jack is a shadow of his father, all of his fame/honor/achievements literally belong to John and are unearned, and his ultimate existence is relatively hollow. He can finish his father's unfinished stranger missions, but otherwise leads a hollow, meaningless existence, and that is bizarrely resonate with the post-endgame experience in most open world games.

I'm not sure I would really like to see anything added to this game via DLC or a sequel. Rockstar did an extraordinary job of making this game stand on its own, and I think I'd like them to take their open world experimentation into yet another setting, rather than try to beat more money out of a Red Dead franchise.

Gotta disagree on one point...
    Ya there may be no scene where everyone comes together, but you just so happen to stumble across the fates of almost all the main secondary characters.
    Irish kills himself, Bonnie marries, the Marshell retires, Reyes becomes a tyrant, the professor gets kicked our of yale AGIAN, ect.

It is one of those overly convenient factors.

This is from page 23, but Im reading everything about the endgame now that I can, and I had NO IDEA any of the spoilers here. Ive seen the credits. Where do I find this information? The newspaper I am yet to buy? Kinda bummed I spoiled it, but its the ONLY thing Ive been spoiled on, and it means nothing really.

Yup, you shoulda been reading it throughout the game really, it's pretty damn good.

SilkyNumNuts on
    edited June 2010
    I have been, and I love it. The thing is (endgame spoilers)
    I was riding into Blackwater to BUY a newspaper when I saw the question mark and went for that. After taking out Ross, I saved and shut the XBox off and havent powered up since. Looking forward to reading the paper.

mxmarks on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does the social club website take a little while to update? I saw the credits roll today, but I have 56 of 57 missions complete, which I don't understand.

I'm also missing 2 strangers, which will take forever to find.

Just check your starngers against Red Dead Wikia. I was missing Love is the Opiate and Aztecs Gold. Knocked those out last night.

Also, Five Finger Fillet is so much easier if you don't look at the screen. I just wrote down the sequence and focused on that. Soooo much easier.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • MR445MR445 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

My line of thinking being - I started to wonder...John made a couple refrences to not knowing his father. The man from "I Know You" was clearly dressed in a non-wild west get up, and knew John. I started thinking maybe that was John's FATHER coming to him, and seeing how his son turned out. And since he was a dick, he treated John like a dick in death.

And then John dies, and I was half expecting to see "I Know You" pop up again, only this time it was John.

I Know You spoiler
    I dunno about that. John's father was a Scottish drunk (and possibly his mother's pimp) who got blinded in a bar-fight. The I Know You guy doesn't really fit the bill. :s

MR445 on
    XBL: MR445
    edited June 2010
    MR445 wrote: »

I Know You spoiler
    I dunno about that. John's father was a Scottish drunk (and possibly his mother's pimp) who got blinded in a bar-fight. The I Know You guy doesn't really fit the bill. :s

Youre totally right.
    I forgot about that little bit of info. I just know when I got to control Jack, and saw the question mark on the map my mind went racing about what could possibly happen. Everyone had said "its not over until you see credits" so I was wondering what could be left, and that thought came to mind.

Im glad I was wrong, now that Ive read that the I Know You Man is standing on his gravesite. I'm so excited for a second playthrough.

mxmarks on
    edited June 2010
    MR445 wrote: »

I Know You spoiler

Youre totally right.
    I forgot about that little bit of info. I just know when I got to control Jack, and saw the question mark on the map my mind went racing about what could possibly happen. Everyone had said "its not over until you see credits" so I was wondering what could be left, and that thought came to mind.

Im glad I was wrong, now that Ive read that the I Know You Man is standing on his gravesite. I'm so excited for a second playthrough.
    Holy crap. I'd not put that together... That's incredible.

SilkyNumNuts on
This discussion has been closed.