As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D Virtual Tabletop Recommendations?

GrainGrain Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Critical Failures
Hey guys,

My friends and I are looking for a good virtual tabletop program to use so we can all play via the information superhighway internets. I came across Fantasy Grounds and was wondering if anyone here had used it or could give their opinion on whether or not it is worth the license price.

Also, if Fantasy Grounds doesn't work then do you have any recommendation on what does that isn't too complicated to set up (Open RPG comes to mind...I hear its ridiculously complicated)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

White: 1721-3651-2720
Grain on

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maptools gets bandied about quite a bit. A lot of people like it, but in my opinion, the learning curve is pretty steep.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    herucaheruca Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Take a look at Battlegrounds: RPG Edition, which supports all RPG systems (including, of course, D&D 3E and 4E).

Here is a comprehensive list of virtual tabletop programs for RPGs, in case you wish to research other similar apps.

heruca on
    Battlegrounds: RPG Edition is new virtual tabletop software for both Macs and Windows PCs that allows you to play any RPG online or offline. It's very easy to use, and has useful features like Fog of War. For more information, please visit http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had never heard of Fantasy Grounds before, it looks pretty cool. Expensive, though.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fantasy Grounds is ok, but like maptool, it has a learning curve. I just really don't like the inflexibility of the chat window. MapTool 1.3b69 is pretty stable from what I hear and hopefully b70 will be the next stable development release build. Also, with MapTools... you start small and work your way into the program. At its most basic use, it's still pretty powerful.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I used Maptool to display maps on a large-screen TV that I had in my basement and controlled the action from a second computer. It worked quite well, and apart from a few beginner mistakes I had very few problems with it.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may soon have two large screen tv's in my house and one of them will be connected to the pc for just that purpose. =) Ideally, I'd mount the tv in the center of the table laying flat, if the angle of viewing works.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition