As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology

Bulletstorm is an FPS being developed by Epic and People Can Fly and it is absolutely crazy. You have a slide, an energy whip and it looks like there'll be some crazy weapons. There's something being called the skillshot system that awards points for killing enemies in certain ways that are apparently used to unlock new stuff. It's going to be on PC, 360 and PS3.

Here's a trailer

Personally I think it looks awesome.

Peewi on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love this thread title.

Henroid on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    +1 for NiN.

But could they at least show more than 0.87 seconds of gameplay before making a cut?

Echo on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Game looks nice, I like the unlock things through creativity part.

The topic doesn't quite do it justice though.

Movitz on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Best bit of the EA show and just came outta' nowhere on my radar. I hope you can upgrade the gravity whip thing so you can swing dudes around like they're big fleshy flails and shit.

Sorenson on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is all I can add to this: 35li4qv.jpg

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got a bit of a Bioshock + Borderlands vibe from that.

This can only be a good thing.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    +1 for NiN.

But could they at least show more than 0.87 seconds of gameplay before making a cut?

Watch the other video I linked.
    Klyka wrote: »
    This is all I can add to this:
    35li4qv.jpg

Do they speak train in Dick?

Peewi on
  • Rodent242Rodent242 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Pretty much my most anticipated title right now, screw "realism" and "stealth", bring on the mighty foot and oneliners.

... There better be oneliners.

Rodent242 on
    LIVE: Nitzer 24 , CO: @Rodent, Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Rodent242/
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    confused about thread title here boys.
    Agree with you rodent :D! realism? pfff. lets have realism for fun's sake and nothing else. developers seem to forget that games are supposed to be 100% fun.

hadoken on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    so, it's Borderlands but better?

sign me up

MrDelish on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fire in the Hole!

Yeah I'm buying this.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    first day buy just from the gameplay footage

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Day one for me the moment I watched the trailer and saw that People Can Fly were involved. I love me some Painkiller and over the top craziness.

IdolNinja on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bulletstorm came out of left field at E3 for me. I wasn't really anticipating it, and then that gameplay footage took me by surprise. You might say it scared the di-- Nah. Too predictable.

I'm ready for a nice over-the-top People Can Fly style FPS with Epic technology behind it. I expect nothing less from the company that brought us the Stake gun, and a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. In spite of that, I anticipate using that gravity whip and my foot more often than the guns. And I certainly hope the dialogue remains as completely cornball and self-aware as the E3 trailer promises.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This thread scared the dick off me

Alegis on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Serious Sam and Painkiller came together and made sweet, sweet, love.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had zero interest in the game until I saw the trailer and I was absolutely sold forever afterwards.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If the Gravity Whip is half as much fun as the Painkiller, I'm all over this.

The Painkiller is one of the greatest weapons in any FPS ever.

edit: Fuck. Me.

I just watched the videos.

I can't wait for this.

Drake on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The trailer looks pretty great. I would love to see some continuous gameplay footage, but it's very promising.

Captain K on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    WOW

IS THAT STEVE BLUM I HEAR?

I HAVE NEVER HEARD HIM IN ANY GAME EVER

EDIT: Guys watch the gametrailers link for footage.

Also

"WHAT YOU DOING FATTY, EATING UP BULLETS?"

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, going by the developer's history, we'll get pretty but featureless levels filled with identical teleporting hordes of mindless enemies, and not a lot else.
    Hopefully they can rise above that.
    Not that Painkiller was bad or anything, but it could have been better.

Xagarath on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Killing people in style" means killing them with the same couple moves over and over and over!! YAYYYY!!!

It looks very gimmicky but it looks sexy but it looks gimmicky (but sexy).

I am unsure what to feel.

4rch3nemy on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    true

but honestly, just from that trailer, there are so many good things going on just design wise, i could accept poor level design with the creative killing system and the cool weapons

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    so, it's Borderlands but better?

sign me up

It's nothing like Borderlands!

I would call it Madworld with guns.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As long as there is a Zombieland tie-in with this game I am sold

Rent on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I watched the announcement trailer and thought this was some online game because of the scores flying around.

I proceeded to watch the E3 showing. I... I just don't know. Can games be that awesome? Is that legal? Its not right.

I recently bought the Painkiller Universe set and Resurrection, after years of slinking by on the demo. Vanilla PK is joy incarnate with a freeze-ray-shotgun surgically grafted to its fun-zone.

This is getting bought.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    New gameplay video. Thought people might get a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfK0xqevM8w

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited September 2010
    It looks pretty good IMO and is shaping up well. They are clearly only showing some limited things so as to not ruin major surprises (whatever happens with the giant cog and the huge monster for example).

Aegeri on
    edited September 2010
    "FACIAL +50!"

The guys who made Painkiller, which was a great Serious Sam clone, are making a game with a cannon gun. Which fires bouncing balls, which can be kicked.

Yes.

Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem Forever in 2011. Between parking bricks in aliens and having my dick scared off, 2011 will be a fun year.

Edit: All thats needed now is for Croteam to get on with Serious Sam 3. The religion of "Quotology" would be complete.

Klash on
    edited September 2010
    Don't forget Gears of War 3. The sheer amount of adrenaline pumping action shootage next year is amazing.

Aegeri on
    edited September 2010
    2011 is the year of the Boot, cover shooters need not apply.

From the slide-kick, to the leash and kick, and the engagement of the Mighty Foot, it is best to meet your enemy face to foot.

It has been way too long since I last kicked someone in a shooter. Sure, I could use the butt of my gun, made of metal or other solid substances... but, is that really comparable to the sheer manliness that I can exert through my boots?

Its kind of a shame how downhill the Painkiller series went, and I hope that Bulletstorm is the sign of good things to come for PCF. I don't know if it'll be befitting of a franchise of its own, but a series of similar games with varying themes would be more than welcomed. They can make a Bulletstorm: Infinite, in which you use your foot to kick Ming soldiers while using a match-lit repeater, and I'd be all for it.

Klash on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    im definitely going to get this game, it looks fun as hell. every video has more crazy shit. i didnt realize it was the painkiller devs, thats cool.

Ah_Pook on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I really don't know what more I could want from this game

Other than some decent multiplayer deathmatch nonsense

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks incredible.

urahonky on
    edited September 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I really don't know what more I could want from this game

Other than some decent multiplayer deathmatch nonsense

Painkiller had some really cool MP. Examples:

A mode where you can only kill a player, while they're in the air. This involved using grenades to get them in the air. How about a mode where everyone has the exact same gun, and it changes every couple minutes, and you have unlimited ammo for whatever the weapon is? Do these sound good to you? They sound good to me. I only regret I never got to actually play them, so I've only seen them in clips.

I look forward to possible "Whip and Foot" only mode, environmental hazard kills only mode, falling-to-your-death mode and all sorts of whacky stuff that takes advantage of what would seem to be Bulletstorm's strengths.

Edit: Oh man, that unlimited ammo mode, except with the Bouncer... Combined with the kill-in-air mode... Oh my.

Klash on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ho. ly. balls.

The people who came up with this are geniuses. Oh, the one-liners. Duke Nukem? The pupil has become the master.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I hope People Can Fly will include at least the Stake Gun from Painkiller. I'll miss popping a grenade into the air and then hammering it home with a 2 foot long Stake into a crowd of zombie ninja things. The combo attacks from Painkiller were the best. Kinda hope when this game comes out they'll port Painkiller to XBLA

Psychotic One on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Damn. On the one hand, I don't normally care much about shooters.

On the other hand, I do love me some over-the-top insanity.

I'll have to keep an eye on this, I guess.

WotanAnubis on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the voice actress for femshep is doing the voice acting for the female companion.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I think the voice actress for femshep is doing the voice acting for the female companion.

Confirmed.

Man, video game voice talent is pretty much "pick from these five guys and these three ladies".

Kazaka on