As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Beware the Ides of March!

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
l781654619.jpg

Weigh-in: August 15

What say you PA? Are you a bad enough dude(duddette) to get in shape?

This is the official DnD Weigh Loss Challenge. Doesn't matter if you have 5, 10, 20, 40 lbs to lose (or gain), feel free to join in. There's no judging here, no harsh stares. Unless you get on webcam. Every 30 days the participants will report with their progress. There will be tears. There will be laughter. And hopefully there will be self improvement.

Joining is simple. Just add yourself to HERE and start at it.

Resources:
www.sparkpeople.com
Yeah, the site design is atrocious, but there's tons of good stuff here. It's a good place to keep track of calories for food, get a workout plan, and mark your progress. It also has sparkpages, so you have another outlet to flaunt your sexy new selves. Official DnD Spark Team

Photos!
Show your sexy self off! Watch yourself go from zero to hero! Just make an album for yourself, label it as your spreadsheet and fill it with pics.
Username: WeightDnD
Password: pennyarcade

Tips and Tricks:
-Weight loss, contrary to what some people think is not impossible. It's all about making the right choices, and plenty of motivation. We can't help you out with the first, but you'll find plenty of the second.
-Count your calories for the first week at least. When you realize how much a snickers is, you'll start thinking twice.
-Everything in moderation. Feel like eating out with friends? Go ahead. Treat yourself every once in a while. If you binge, or fall of the wagon, just keep at it.
-There's no diets. Think of it as a lifestyle change.
-You'll never regret going to the gym, but you'll always regret having skipped it.

Kyougu on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm game. I've been stalling on coming up with a plan and so far my claims of "I'll lose weight eventually" have become rather stale.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'll go along with this.

My New Year's Resolution, as hokey as that sounds, was to lose 20 pounds. I was 205 lbs., now I'm sitting at 174, on a 6' 1" frame.

Now I want to focus on eating healthier.

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    This sounds great. I recently got a recumbant exercise bike to help me lose weight about three weeks ago. And while I'm up to 24-36 miles a day on it, I'm not losing as much weight as I'd like.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm interested. I got about 40lbs. to lose, so what better time to start than now?

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Judgement wrote: »
    I'm interested. I got about 40lbs. to lose, so what better time to start than now?

Tomorrow?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm working on this as well.

Started the year around 275-280, am down to 252 on the dot as of this morning (on a 6'4" frame).

I intend to hopefully lose another 30-40 pounds (give or take a little muscle growth as well) in the next year and a half. Hitting my goals early would be nice, but I've made this my 2-year plan to get back into shape, so it's very much a long term goal.

I turned 30 this year, and decided it was time to get off my ass and do something about the weight I'd been putting on for the past decade. I left high school around 225, not in amazing shape, but better than I am now, so I have something to work towards. At my height, it's only a matter of time before back and joint issues start cropping up, so it's time to get rid of that spare tire and extend my good years remaining.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Great to see people interested.

I was at 260ish 2 years ago, and using sparkpeople and really trying I gotten down to 183ish. I sorta been stuck there though, and I ll be the first to admit that I slack it more than I should when it comes to my diet.

If you guys do sign up for sparkpeople let me know your user names and I'll stick them on the OP. I can't stress how much that site helped me out, and I'm hoping that if I get back into the habit of using the weight loss will come again.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Im down.

I am currently 235 pounds (or for people like me who use real units, 105.5kg), sitting on a 6ft 3in frame (192cm)

The best I got down to was 188 pounds (85kg) but that was practically starving myself and exercising stupid amounts.

I am game to see if I can shed some weight in a reasonable manner.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Judgement wrote: »

Tomorrow?

...yeah, guess so.

*eats pop-tart*

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Okay guys, I updated the OP. I included people who I saw had put their current weight. If you want into the OP let me know.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oy. I guess if I'm gonna do this, I need to get a scale.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man I really want to, I need to lose at LEAST 10-15...but I'm in DC, and I have to keep an eye on my monies and stuff, and I will never turn down a free meal while I am here

also I want to try new things

Please be around in a little over a month!

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm 210lbs.

Sorry I didn't say this before.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I set up one of those sparkpeople pages.

fattyjoshua1

I goal weight is 187 lb, but I might have to adjust that depending on how much muscle i gain

joshua1 on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not going to make a Spark page because their site design makes my eyes bleed, but I'm in.

Currently around 230, trying to get to 185.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Uhh this is a hard one for me to put a number on

I'm about 147lbs, but I'd like to lose more...I just don't know how much. Basically, I want a flat stomach (ideally a six-pack) and to get rid of excess body fat. My weight might not fluctuate much because I'll probably be gaining a little muscle on top of that.

Doing this through swimming, don't care much about counting calories.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah. Their site is like, geocities bad. I thought it was the "done thing".

joshua1 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So, persevering with SparkWhatever.

http://teams.sparkpeople.com/PADND

Our very own sparkteam.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    king_sleepking_sleep Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm down ...eating french fries :( I'm at 195 trying to get down to 155-160. I started working out again, but eating crappy. I have not been back since. So I guess some accountability would help.

king_sleep on
    3DS Friend Code:4596-9457-3563
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been going to the gym for almost a month, although only really seriously for a little over a week. fixed up my diet in the last week as well so I'm past what has always been the hardest for me which is that very first day... I already feel different and the scale is responding, which I know isn't the most important place to look but I check because it's a little extra incentive for me personally.

anyway I have a ways to go, so I'll be reading this thread and giving encouragement and all. always great to see something positive.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright so I guess I didn't state much of a goal, but currently I'm swimming about 600 meters in 30-40 minutes, 3 times a week. My current goal is to get up to 800.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying to gain weight am I allowed here?

Greeper on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Get the hell out Skeletor

also I'm in

forget how much I weight but it's a lot and I'd like to drop down like 60 lbs I think, yes

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FeatherBladeFeatherBlade Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm not a dude, but I'll join in anyway!

I don't know what my weight is right now, but I know it's higher than my goal, which (for now) is 180 lbs.

I decided to start exercising today, and did a brisk walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

Then I sat and watched a yoga video while I played around on this very forum. ^_^;
    My plan for tomorrow is to do some of the yoga myself.

I'll try joining the sparkpages thing... tomorrow.

FeatherBlade on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am in. Any amount of motivation, no matter how small, is needed.

Fonjo/Gagsack/207lbs/185lbs

Noxy on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Current weight: 192

Goal: 200-205

It's hard work when I'm such a bad cook.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Updated the OP.

And yeah, design wise sparkspeople sucks, but they got good info burried in there. Their fitness part is particularly nice.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Hocky27Hocky27 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm down for this.

Current weight: 211.2 lbs
    Goal: 198 lbs

Thats just the short term goal. Once I hit that weight I'll assess the situation and see if I want to continue to lose more.

Hocky27 on
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Woooo! Yeeeeah! and so on.

Weight as of this morning 249lbs, goal weight 200lbs
    Initially I'll be doing a low carb diet and mostly employing the not at all embarrassing 30 day shred DVD for exercise.

I've lost ~20lbs since my absolute worst weight. My problem is consistency, I'll be great for a week and then fall into shitty eating again for 2-3 days. I need strangers to yell at me.

NODe on
  • Options
    Mr. J.H. GumbyMr. J.H. Gumby Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm in.
    According to a recent medical checkup, my ideal weight is 183 lbs. I weight 187 lbs so I'm not focusing on weight.
    My waist though, measures 38.18 inches and it should be 35.43 inches to avoid risk of heart problems in the future.
    So my goal is get to slim it down to at least 35, six pack optional.

I'm starting today with a yoga rutine and will look for a place to relearn how to skate near my house

Mr. J.H. Gumby on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hmm,

Hell, okay. Maybe a little public shame is what I need to get my ass in gear.

Currently sitting somewhere between 275-280.

Have recently set myself a goal of loosing 20lbs over the next several months.

Ideal weight is probably around 210. Or rather last time I was happy with the way I looked without a shirt on I was 210. I was doing a fair amount of weights at the time too. I am right at 6ft. (5'11" and a bit more than three quarters of an inch is what I say when I want my fiancee to throw a shoe at my head.)

Galahad on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm in, been doing this on my own. Already lost 25 lbs, and am looking to lose 25 more.

Current weight is 225lbs, goal weight is 200lbs.

edit: We going to put pictures up?

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm in, been doing this on my own. Already lost 25 lbs, and am looking to lose 25 more.

Current weight is 225lbs, goal weight is 200lbs.

edit: We going to put pictures up?

I'll put one up. Assuming shirtless?

What do you all think monthly weigh ins?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like just what I need.

Current weight: 161 (at 5'6")
    Goal weight: 142

I was at 188 last august and successfully got rid of my giant gut, but I'm stagnating in the low 160's thanks to losing motivation (I no longer think I'm going to die). Joined spark with my forum name, too.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sounds like a fun time. I've slowly been whittling down my weight over the past few years on my own, but extra motivation sounds nice.

I'm 5' 11''. I was biggest back in high school when I was anywhere between 250-260. Right now, I'm about 210. I started doing the Insanity workout roughly a month ago and, while I haven't lost any weight (due to gaining some muscle while losing fat), I'm definitely looking a little more cut. If your knees and ankles can handle it, I would definitely recommend you folks checking it out. It doesn't require you to buy any kind of extra equipment like P90x. You just use your own body weight and follow the instructions.

My goal is to get down to around 180. I have two reasons for this:

1. I am trying to become an MMA fighter right now and I feel like Welterweight (156-170) is the best weight class for me. If I'm down to around 180, cutting water weight to reach 170 won't be a big issue.

2. I haven't weighed 180 since I was in grade school (I was a fat kid, folks) and I'm motivated to reach it just to see if I can. Besides wanting to fight, I'm motivated by the challenge of getting my weight down 30 more pounds. I'd still be trying to get to around that weight whether I was trying to fight or not.

Anyway, that's my background. I'm up for throwing pictures on here or linking to my photobucket account if that's what everyone else is going to do.

LET'S GET IT, BOYS AND GIRLS.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am in....maybe this will be proper motivation for me.

clownfood/clownfood/250lbs/200lbs and I am 6 ft even.

I have restarted my regiment and really need to crack down on my diet. I have the p90x DVD's and have started early morning workouts. This morning was actually kinda nice to stretch before work. I have to get into shape before my European trip.

Spark called me obese. Guess my muscle mass means nothing.

Anyone else have problems sticking to diet like me?

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Can I retroactively participate and win the challenge?

I went from 267 lbs. to 170 lbs. - half using traditional dieting and half using the ketogenic diet - in addition to lifting and using the elliptical trainer.

Distram on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Congratulations on the weight loss!

Now get outta here, normy. Non-fatty. Skinny-scrawny.... I got nuttin'.

This also reminds me that I really should consult a doctor, both to get an informed opion on what a safe/healthy mass would be based on my height and frame, and to make sure there isn't anything else going on medically that needs to be addressed.

Edit: for the purposes of the challenge, according to some BMI calculating site, I should aim to be 210 or under. I'd like to speak to a doctor or nutritionist before I take some random sites' advice based on nothing but my age and height, but it seems like a fair enough starting goal. Depending on how much fat I lose and muscle mass I gain, I'd honestly be happy anywhere in the 200-225 range, but as I have 25-50 pounds to go before that's even in question, I'll just wait and see how I feel/look/am doing by the time I get into that ballpark.

I've already noticed some improvements; running isn't so difficult, and my muscle definition is improving. Not enough that I'm comfortable walking around without a shirt on, but enough that I've noticed.

Edit part deux: I've been hitting the gym 4 times a week for an hour per visit, focusing mainly on cardio, primarily on the elliptical machines. I know I should add more weight lifting to my routine, but I enjoy this and it's showing results, so I'm sort of sticking to it for the time being.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sign me up

CangoFett/-/209/165

Ill make a sparkpage later, gotta go to work now

CangoFett on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Distram wrote: »
    Can I retroactively participate and win the challenge?

I went from 267 lbs. to 170 lbs. - half using traditional dieting and half using the ketogenic diet - in addition to lifting and using the elliptical trainer.

Dang, man. That's a lot of weight. Do you have a lot of loose skin or did it tighten up with you?

Also, is this a competition or sorts or just a "Let's get together and stay motivated" type of thing? Because if there's a competition, we should probably have a cut off date of some kind.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.