As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    MR445 wrote: »
    So am I the only one who post credits thought:
    That I would run into Ghost John?

My line of thinking being - I started to wonder...John made a couple refrences to not knowing his father. The man from "I Know You" was clearly dressed in a non-wild west get up, and knew John. I started thinking maybe that was John's FATHER coming to him, and seeing how his son turned out. And since he was a dick, he treated John like a dick in death.

And then John dies, and I was half expecting to see "I Know You" pop up again, only this time it was John.

I Know You spoiler
    I dunno about that. John's father was a Scottish drunk (and possibly his mother's pimp) who got blinded in a bar-fight. The I Know You guy doesn't really fit the bill. :s

Youre totally right.
    I forgot about that little bit of info. I just know when I got to control Jack, and saw the question mark on the map my mind went racing about what could possibly happen. Everyone had said "its not over until you see credits" so I was wondering what could be left, and that thought came to mind.

Im glad I was wrong, now that Ive read that the I Know You Man is standing on his gravesite. I'm so excited for a second playthrough.
    Holy crap. I'd not put that together... That's incredible.

Wait, what?
    Who's standing on whos grave?

Have I missed something here?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

My line of thinking being - I started to wonder...John made a couple refrences to not knowing his father. The man from "I Know You" was clearly dressed in a non-wild west get up, and knew John. I started thinking maybe that was John's FATHER coming to him, and seeing how his son turned out. And since he was a dick, he treated John like a dick in death.

And then John dies, and I was half expecting to see "I Know You" pop up again, only this time it was John.

I Know You spoiler
    I dunno about that. John's father was a Scottish drunk (and possibly his mother's pimp) who got blinded in a bar-fight. The I Know You guy doesn't really fit the bill. :s

Youre totally right.
    I forgot about that little bit of info. I just know when I got to control Jack, and saw the question mark on the map my mind went racing about what could possibly happen. Everyone had said "its not over until you see credits" so I was wondering what could be left, and that thought came to mind.

Im glad I was wrong, now that Ive read that the I Know You Man is standing on his gravesite. I'm so excited for a second playthrough.

Wait, what?

Obv endgame spoilers
    The last segment of that stranger quest, the stranger and John are overlooking the ranch, from his future grave site. Stranger even comments "Well this is a nice spot..."

He is also present in the final shootout

Lt. Fragg on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lt. Fragg wrote: »

I Know You spoiler

Youre totally right.

Wait, what?

Obv endgame spoilers
    The last segment of that stranger quest, the stranger and John are overlooking the ranch, from his future grave site. Stranger even comments "Well this is a nice spot..."

Damn, I totally did not see him there.

Endomatic on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »

I Know You spoiler

Youre totally right.

Wait, what?

Obv endgame spoilers

I totally didn't see that either.

That's awesome.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endomatic wrote: »

I Know You spoiler

Youre totally right.

Wait, what?

Obv endgame spoilers

I totally didn't see that either.

That's awesome.

Where is he in that scene?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want to point out to be careful about marking I Know You spoilers. Depending on what you're talking about, they could also be endgame spoilers.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    To avoid the quote tree, I'd also like to know

ENDGAME SPOILERS
    Where he is in that scene. Because that just made I Know You 7000000000000 times cooler than it was.

There is no better game that Red Dead Redemption.

EDIT: From the Red Dead Wikia - ENDGAME SPOILERS
    An early rumor circulated just after the games release, suggested that the Strange Man is present in the mob that appears during the mission The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed. This has since proven to be false.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well I'm glad I picked this up Saturday, but now I need to find some PSN friends, because the MP looks to be a shit ton of fun. I managed to level up to 6 doing a sad private game all by my lonesome, but with the co-op looming ever closer, I'd like to enjoy every possible facet of this fantastic game.

My PSN tag is TheDagon.

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • shrikebtrshrikebtr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endgame / I Know You Spoilers:
    I havn't kept up with all 80+ pages of this thread, but has nobody posited that the I Know You guy is Death? Thats my theory anyway. The giveaway for me was how dark his eyes are the last time you see him. This additional info RE: his location the last time you see him just seems to confirm it.

Also, just an odd bug I saw in the final mission, final not including the final Stranger mission:
    So John is in the barn with his wife and son, puts them on the horse, and sends them off. But then as he turned to face the door and started walking away from the open rear of the barn... his son was still standing there against the wall, sort of hunched over, bloody from the fight, and just standing there. It was incredibly creepy.

shrikebtr on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shrikebtr wrote: »
    I havn't kept up with all 80+ pages of this thread, but has nobody posited that the I Know You guy is Death? Thats my theory anyway. The giveaway for me was how dark his eyes are the last time you see him. This additional info RE: his location the last time you see him just seems to confirm it.

Also, just an odd bug I saw in the final mission, final not including the final Stranger mission:
    So John is in the barn with his wife and son, puts them on the horse, and sends them off. But then as he turned to face the door and started walking away from the open rear of the barn... his son was still standing there against the wall, sort of hunched over, bloody from the fight, and just standing there. It was incredibly creepy.

This reminds me of a bug I encountered.

SPOILER - Just a story about a bug, and a stranger mission in Mexico.
    It was the mission with the guy beating up his girlfriend, and she goes to be a nun. When you have the option to pay him for her freedom, I chose to do that. So I give him the money, and the girl steps forward...but leaves behind ANOTHER VERSION OF HER, in the same spot, still pleading with me. She literally stepped out of her own body.

So I tell her to go be a nun, and she takes off, and it says that part of the quest is complete...but her doppleganger is still standing there, pleading with me. The boyfriend walks off, and we're standing behind the building, just the two of us. And it was just surreal.

...so I decided to see if she was "real" and I punched her in the face. She was indeed real. So I did what I could and knifed this poor, tortured, trapped soul, freeing her from this Earth, where she should not be.

Then I rode off and met up with her spirit, at the nunnery, like nothing had ever happened.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It was the mission with the guy beating up his girlfriend, and she goes to be a nun. When you have the option to pay him for her freedom, I chose to do that. So I give him the money, and the girl steps forward...but leaves behind ANOTHER VERSION OF HER, in the same spot, still pleading with me. She literally stepped out of her own body.

So I tell her to go be a nun, and she takes off, and it says that part of the quest is complete...but her doppleganger is still standing there, pleading with me. The boyfriend walks off, and we're standing behind the building, just the two of us. And it was just surreal.

...so I decided to see if she was "real" and I punched her in the face. She was indeed real. So I did what I could and knifed this poor, tortured, trapped soul, freeing her from this Earth, where she should not be.

Then I rode off and met up with her spirit, at the nunnery, like nothing had ever happened.
    Endgame stuff
    when john told Jack and Abigail to go, when jack left he left behind another of him. Which quite spoiled the effect, until a second later.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Interesting
    Could it be that you are looking into Jack's future?

Kadoken on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've made that assertion. The Stranger is the only one dressed like an undertaker. And I believe he's also the only one seen in the game. At least there is nobody else that looks even remotely like him.

When you play through a second time, everything he says to John that isn't about what little mission he sends him on is about death. Either those caused by John, or the impending one for John.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just to be sure I don't miss it, when should I be looking for the I Know You quest? It is the only thing you can't do post-game right?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think around the time you complete the first mission in Armadillo. It begins on the cliffside between McFarlane's Ranch and Armadillo.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...That early? I just finished Mexico, I might have done it then. Can I get a vagueish spoiler?

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

The exact same thing happened to me. Well, not the second part.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited June 2010
    Dusda wrote: »
    ...That early? I just finished Mexico, I might have done it then. Can I get a vagueish spoiler?

What do you mean by that? If you haven't started it, just go there and start it. If you have, it'll be in your active Stranger list. If you've completed the quest line, it'll be in the stats window.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dusda wrote: »

It's three parts spread throughout the game.

You get the first early on after the mission named
    A Tempest Looms

He'll be on a cliff between Armadillo and MacFarland Ranch.

You can't get the second part until Mexico after the mission
    We Shall Be Together in Paradise

He's in the hills just SW of Mescalaro.

You get the final part in the Great Plains when you access it just above
    Beecher's Hope

I'm not sure if you miss the first part you can pick it up later on in the story as long as you haven't finished the game; but after you finish the game you absolutely can't finish the mission, even if it is in progress.

It does not count to the 100% however.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• shrikebtrshrikebtr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've made that assertion.

Ok good, I had trouble believing that as long as the game has been out now, as long as people have been beating it, and as quickly as people post here, that this wouldn't already be established :p

It just makes sense on basically every level, especially given Marston's history prior to Red Dead Redemption.

shrikebtr on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    do we have a rough idea on price for the co-op DLC yet?

T4CT on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

$0.00

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »

$0.00

Thread title speaks for itself.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    oh right it's free i'm retarded

T4CT on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Somewhat potentially spoilery (more likely the answer will be than the question):

This is the most horrifying thing I found in the game, and was wondering if anyone knows if it connects to anything else~
    Climbing up the ladder to the hayloft in your barn post-Dutch,

(interior Spoiler'd in case you want to find it on your own)
    the words
    O GOD MY SON, MY BLESSED SON

are painted in white on the interior of the roof in front of you.

What the fuck?

I don't know why but this was sooooo creepy to me.

fadingathedges on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Somewhat potentially spoilery (more likely the answer will be than the question):

This is the most horrifying thing I found in the game, and was wondering if anyone knows if it connects to anything else~

the words

What the fuck?

Cheat code.

Endomatic on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

the words

What the fuck?

It's a cheat code:
    It allows you to play as John's son...

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SchwhatSchwhat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

ENDGAME/STRANGER RELIGIOUS STUFF
    Wait, wait. I thought the stranger was GOD?

I mean his quest he sends you on were be good or be bad. (ie the nun part)

At the final part of the stranger quest before he disappears, the end dialogue paraphrased:

John Marston: Damn you!
    Stranger: Many have.

Did the stranger not make a witty comment on "God damn you."?

And ditto on the Jack Marston bug. Initially, I thought it was part of the story, like his son sneaking to stay and help out; since I couldn't see him on the horse (Abigail blocking the view) and John Marston was faced at us so he wouldn't have seen John hiding.

Schwhat on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bears are the ultimate horse killer. Cougars have nothing on them.

How exactly am I supposed to one shot a bear?

Shens on
    edited June 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »

the words

What the fuck?

It's a cheat code:
    It allows you to play as John's son...
    Before you can, of course.

Probably one of the most useless cheats Rockstar has ever bestowed. Even without Jack's relative popularity, why enable a cheat that will disable everything anyway just to play using a different skin and voice? Or is it that not all cheats disable saving?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2010
    Shens wrote: »

Buffalo rifle or Carcano. To the face.

Dead-eye helps.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited June 2010
    Schwhat wrote: »

ENDGAME/STRANGER RELIGIOUS STUFF
    Wait, wait. I thought the stranger was GOD?

I mean his quest he sends you on were be good or be bad. (ie the nun part)

At the final part of the stranger quest before he disappears, the end dialogue paraphrased:

John Marston: Damn you!
    Stranger: Many have.

Did the stranger not make a witty comment on "God damn you."?

And ditto on the Jack Marston bug. Initially, I thought it was part of the story, like his son sneaking to stay and help out; since I couldn't see him on the horse (Abigail blocking the view) and John Marston was faced at us so he wouldn't have seen John hiding.
    The phrase 'god damn you' is not damning or condemning god. It is damning the target. The quests he sends John on are about the potential for redemption.

And as the saying goes, redemption equals death...

Rockstar wasn't particularly subtle. The Undertaker is about death. Not salvation or damnation. Like I said, everything the Undertaker says to John that isn't about 'go here and do something' is about death.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any tips for building up fame and earning lots of cash now I've finished the game? Im having problems 100%-ing my fame and getting the $10,000 achievement. Despite looting my way through the entire campaign and side quests. Im sure I should have it by now.

Im getting fed up of looking for flowers, and doing wanted poster mission that don't reward any fame, and take 3 attempts cos the same bear kept killing me before i could return to the sheriff, and then having to ride 10mins back to the start of the mission again.

Not to mention all the times I've drowned in 3feet of water after finishing a mission, and the times bandit reinforcements kill me because my horse gets stuck on things when i whistle it, etc etc.

I wish I could hate this game, but I can't.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Any tips for building up fame and earning lots of cash now I've finished the game? Im having problems 100%-ing my fame and getting the $10,000 achievement. Despite looting my way through the entire campaign and side quests. Im sure I should have it by now.

Im getting fed up of looking for flowers, and doing wanted poster mission that don't reward any fame, and take 3 attempts cos the same bear kept killing me before i could return to the sheriff, and then having to ride 10mins back to the start of the mission again.

Not to mention all the times I've drowned in 3feet of water after finishing a mission, and the times bandit reinforcements kill me because my horse gets stuck on things when i whistle it, etc etc.

Fast&Fun Fame Fadvice: Get the elegent suit then cheat. Alot. Get caught cheating to be specific. Shoot the gun out of the poor fools hand. Get 100+ Fame. Repeat as desired.

Caveman Paws on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »

For fame, cheat at poker and shoot the gun out of the other guy's hand. I was getting +100 fame for each duel.

EDIT - Beat'd.

Shens on
    edited June 2010
    As long as you're not wearing the bandana, everything builds up your fame. Winning duels, helping randos, completing missions. If you're having problems with it, you're not doing enough.

For money? Go to a place that lots of wolves spawn. Then kill and skin them all. If you don't want to waste bullets, use your knife. Leave when you get bored. (Or hunt for bears, say, and then sell the remains in Mexico. If you sell a thing in the region furthest from its source, you'll get paid more.)

Or, find all the gold bricks and sell them. That's a good $3000+. Bring in bounties alive. Perform nightwatch missions, etc. Money is way to easy to get in this game.

And by the way, it's earn $10000, not have $10000. Make sure you didn't already unlock it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Dead-eye helps.

Bolt Action Rifle works too, but it has to be a head shot.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Dead-eye helps.

Bolt Action Rifle works too, but it has to be a head shot.

Yeah I did bolt action rifle headshots in deadeye to do the one shot bear kills.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I deffo don't have it, thanks for the tips tho, I suck at poker, I never thought of doing that, I have liars dice down but the bets are so small. I will go cheat me some poker matches, shoot some dudes, and then go hunt those gold bricks you speak of, that sounds a fun diversion :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah what the fuck is thius guys? I'm on my ranch now and its all go all teh way to McFarlane ranch slowly, then come back, herd cattle, herd more cattle, herd cattle, go all the way to McFarlane ranch slowly, go do horse breaking. Its like the worst stuff of the game all compressed into pure agony.

DarkWarrior on
This discussion has been closed.