As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chaos] Chaos in the Old World - Use the new thread

DarianDarian Yellow WizardThe PitRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Critical Failures
pic490400.jpg

Chaos in the Old World is a boardgame set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe. Players take on the role of one of the gods of Chaos, seeking to corrupt the land and remake it in their own image. It plays best with exactly four players and offers is an interesting twist on area control games - each god has slightly different forces, their own thematic deck of Chaos cards to cast, and a victory track (dial) that marks progress befitting that god's priorities. The game can be won either by VP accumulation or by completing your dial.

Khorne - the Blood god - murder, maim, kill. Tends to win by dial victory, and earns advances by killing enemy figures. Straightforward to play, but must keep a close watch on everything that is happening to extend the game long enough to achieve victory (he needs nine dial ticks, so he has to double tick multiple times and prevent others from winning by VP before he gets there).
pic1000651.jpg

Nurgle - the Lord of Pestilence - spreading filth and disease among the cities and towns. Longest dial track, making a dial victory difficult, if not impossible. But Nurgle can benefit from others' ruinations and can shoot up the VP track in the mid-to-late game. Never out of contention.
pic1000652.jpg

Tzeentch - the Changer of Ways - making plans and reshaping reality to suit himself. Tzeentch is the most reliant of all the gods on his Chaos cards; his are cheaper and he gets to draw more of them than anyone else. Depending on the Old World deck, he can go for either a dial or VP victory, but he has to find Warpstones and cast magic spells in order to prepare regions for ideal corruption.
pic1000654.jpg

Slaanesh - the Prince of Pleasure (and pain) - seducing the nobility and heroes of the land, swaying them to his side. With the shortest dial track, Slaanesh can win without ever double-ticking, and by focusing on regions with nobles can build up VP quickly.
pic1000653.jpg

The Horned Rat - The Undying Schemer - rising from under the ground with his skittering horde. Rather than seeking to corrupt the Old World, the Horned Rat instead strains to overrun it, with more figures than any other god and abilities that enhance their mobility.
pic1026636_lg.jpg

Here's a quick summary of the gods' followers and their abilities:
pic721321.jpg

Previous games, aka recommended reading before playing, are linked from the CF Boardgame Index

As has been requested, this thread can be used as a general sign-up list for future CitOW games (starting with my game 17). I'll keep lists in the second post of sign-ups. When you do sign up, please mention whether you have played in any of the previous games (vet) or not (noob). I think I can remember the hosts for myself.

Let's also use this thread for general discussion on Chaos in the Old World - rules questions, balance, complaining about the greenskins and electors that keep Khorne from winning, etc.

A new expansion brings with it new rules questions. As an aid to players and hosts, I offer you the following.

Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat (Now with some official rulings):
  1. Set up - how many Old World Cards should be used for a 3 player game including the Horned Rat? 4p? 5p?
    [FAQ - 7 cards for 4 or 5 players, 8 for 3, regardless of the Horned Rat's presence.]
  2. Dial advancement counters for Tzeentch, and Slaanesh -- are these once per region per phase, or can Tzeentch and Slaanesh spread out their corruption placement across phases? Can Tzeentch or Slaanesh earn more than one DAC from a single region during a round (e.g. from Havoc in battle then from corruption placement)?
    [FAQ states that Tzeentch can earn a DAC during the summoning phase.
    My ruling: One DAC may be earned in a region per phase per player. I'm going to interpret this as meaning that the condition must be met entirely within a phase. This was partially clarified by the FAQ but still leaves a bit of interpretation needed.]
  3. Horned Rat's dial -- for Summon X, does the summoned figure need to be adjacent to your current figures?
    [My ruling - Yes, it must be adjacent since it does not say "in any region".]
  4. Rampage -- Essentially, does this act like the battle phase in all ways, or is it simply a battle?
    [FAQ - This is just a battle, not acting like the battle phase. Things that specify "battle phase" do not trigger from a [COLOR="Red"]Rampage[/COLOR] battle, but things like Vengeance (which only mentions battle dice) do.
    Reference summary:
    Trigger: Vengeance, Bloodbath, Skulltaker, Bloodletters, Great Unclean One, Pleasure Shield, Strength in Numbers, Vermin Outbreak
    Do not trigger: Choking Stench, Plaguebearers, Warpstorm, Havoc, Transmorgrify, Acolytes, Shroud of Secrets, Greenskins Invade, Electors Sue for Peace]
  5. Skulltaker followed by Rampage - can the killed units be summoned away from the region?
    [FAQ - No; the figures cannot be removed before the card is discarded in the end phase.]
  6. Terror - can you choose to move only some cultists, leaving behind the cultists from another god?
    [My ruling - Yes, you make the choice to move or not separately for each god. And all the ones you move must go to the same region.]
  7. Bloodletter upgrade - Is it limited to once per region, or does every figure killed grant VP?
    [FAQ - Each figure killed is worth 2 VP.]
  8. Bloodthirster upgrade - Does this summoning get around the adjacency requirement? Do Warpstones count as corruption when determining whether a region is a valid target?
    [FAQ - No. It changes the cost if the destination region matches the requirement, but it is missing the "any region" key phrase that usually indicates teleportation effects.
    My ruling - No. Warpstones are considered as corruption only when checking for Ruination, not at other times.]
  9. Does corruption placed by Filth or Blue Scribes grant a DAC? (For Filth, of course, it would take 2 of them in the same region)
    [FAQ - Yes; move, place, same thing. As an errata, they changed Filth to be two separate events-remove, then place.]
  10. Do Quicken Decay and Festival of Sinew trigger on figures that are moved by other effects? What if their own figures are moved out by an opponent (e.g., by Terror)?
    [FAQ - Bolt of Change using a new key word "replace" which does not trigger Quicken or Festival.
    My ruling - Yes; move, summon, place, same thing. And it looks for the source of the movement, not the owner of the figure.]
  11. Can Convocation pull figures from more than one region?
    [FAQ - They must come from the same region.]
  12. How many corruption tokens will each warrior or greater daemon place if two Havoc cards are in the same region?
    [My ruling - Havoc is a replacement effect--instead of rolling battle dice, the warriors place one corruption. I can see this one argued either way:
    A. when the second Havoc resolves, they are no longer rolling battle dice, so it has no effect.
    B. Havoc stops them from rolling battle dice then has them place a corruption; they would place one corruption for each Havoc card in the region.
    I will go with interpretation A, so they will only place one corruption each.]
  13. Warp Portal with an upgraded Horror -- is the newly placed Horror a valid target for the Portal's teleportation?
    [FAQ - No, the new horror is not placed until the card has been resolved.]
  14. Acolytes upgrade -- after you cancel a hit, can the opponent still kill your acolyte by applying their next hit to it? Can another opponent kill the acolyte with their hits?
    [FAQ - This upgrade triggers after all powers assign their hits for the region, but before killed figures are removed.]
  15. Lord of Change upgrade -- if it is moved by Warp Portal, can it place a Warpstone? What if it is moved by Lambs to the Slaughter?
    [FAQ - Only triggers if Tzeentch does the summoning. Warp Portal, yes, Lambs to the Slaughter, no.]
  16. Shroud of Secrets -- if a player does not have enough hits left to kill an opponent's figure, can they apply the remaining hits to Slaanesh's? (e.g., if a Rat Ogre is present with some Seductresses and no Peasants, and Khorne only rolls one hit, can he target the Seductress or must he waste the hit?)
    [My ruling - No; the Slaanesh figures are not legal targets while anything else is alive.]
  17. Daemonette upgrade -- if the Daemonette dies or is summoned away from the region, does the cultist remain under Slaanesh's control?
    [My ruling - Since they didn't specify, as they did for the KoS in the base set, I'm going to guess they intended the control to persist, regardless, so I'll rule yes. This also implies that Slaanesh can summon the cultist away without losing control, just as with Soporific Musk in the base game.]
  18. Can Slaanesh take advantage of the Leper upgrade if his Daemonette upgrade gives him control of one?
    [My ruling - Yes. You in the Leper upgrade refers to the controller of the Leper, not just to Nurgle.]
  19. Grey Seer with the Clan Rat upgrade - How many rats are summoned?
    [FAQ - The upgrade gives one additional rat when you summon to a region with no rats present, so the Grey Seer will summon 3 rats instead of 2.]
  20. Strength in Numbers and Verminous Horde -- what is the trigger condition for these? Are they the same, or is there a difference between them?
    [FAQ - The same; the Horned Rat must have more figures than at least one opponent who is present in the region.
    My ruling - Following this to its logical conclusion, the cards will give no effect if only the horned rat is in the region. That seems odd to me, so as a house rule it will also trigger if only the rat has figures present.]
  21. The Under Empire -- are the figures moved before or after the ruination bonus VP are awarded for being present in the region? (Essentially, if HR moves all his figures out, does he still get the ruination bonus? I know he won't be eligible for 1st/2nd place if he uses this.)
    Also, are regions with a Skaven token considered adjacent to all other regions, or just to other regions containing Skaven tokens?
    [FAQ - Timing of this happens after the contributing bonus for presence, so that the same rat can take part in more than one ruination.
    My ruling - Regions containing Skaven are adjacent to each other, not to all regions.]
  22. The Light of Day/High Elf Protection -- can players choose a ruined region, to avoid placing the token? If so, can more than one player choose the same ruined region? Essentially, I'm wondering whether you meant "In order of Threat level (highest first), each player places one Event token in a different region."
    [FAQ - Ruined regions cannot be chosen for Old World card effects. Only if there is not valid region can the placement be avoided.]
  23. How do effects which grant additional dice or corruption interact with effects which limit or reduce? For example, if Choking Stench and another Nurgle card would reduce a bloodletter's dice to zero, will Vengeance still grant Khorne a battle die? If there is a single upgraded Leper in a region with Call to Arms! in play, does it place it's bonus corruption?
    [FAQ - Old World effects are persistent and apply first; then, disabling effects are applied before enabling effects.
    My ruling - "Additional" effects apply only if you would still have regular dice/corruption after all reductions. You can never have only the additional ones; in the examples above, Khorne would not roll any dice and Nurgle would not place any corruption.]
  24. Does Vermin Outbreak apply a cost to free summons from upgraded figures? Does it change the cost of figures summoned or moved by spells?
    [My ruling - Free summons are affected; a cost of 0 is still a cost. Upgraded horrors would cost 1 PP in addition to the cost of the spell; the Bloodthirster could be summoned once at a cost of 1 PP.
    Chaos card effects are noted as being immune to Vermin Outbreak, so summons from Convocation or Grey Seer would not be affected.]

Darian on

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    All players: (after getting into a game, you can sign up again at the bottom of the list)
    • The Cow King
    • Gene Parmesan
    • jakobagger
    • 3clipse - N then K
    • texasheat
    • Ardor
    • The Bashar
    • Cutfang
    • admanb
    • Lykouragh
    • 38thDoe
    • Rius
    • SeGaTai
    • visiblehowl
    • Tmoiy
    • DevoutlyApathetic
    • pesky
    • TomeWyrm
    • Magic Geek
    • BobCesca
    • Aegis
    • blahmcblah
    • susan

Inactive players (can come back into the list at the top by re-posting their interest):
    • Ryadic
    • TheLawinator
    • Schade
    • Lucedes
    • Maximus

New players: (anyone who gets into a game is removed from this list)
    • BobCesca

Special inactive list for new players:
    • Lucedes

Hosts: (in reverse order of most recently played game)
    • FunkyWaltDogg
    • visiblehowl
    • SeGaTai
    • Rorus Raz
    • admanb
    • Nought
    • stever777
    • blahmcblah
    • Darian

Extra special inactive hosts list, aka "Thank you for your kind service, sir (or madam), and feel free to let us know if you want to play again":
    [*]Mordenthral

For future games, hosts will be encouraged to take the top n players from the list(s) of their choice, thus ensuring over time that everyone who wants to play will get a chance. Players may feel free to request a particular god (or one of two) as they sign up; hosts can take that into consideration to ensure no one is stuck playing as a power they despise.

For anyone interested, here is a spreadsheet of the results of our games.

Leaderboard:
    • Darian - 4 wins (KNS)
    • Rius - 4 wins (NTS)
    • The Cow King - 4 wins (NS; Base game Champion)
    • El Skid - 3 wins (KNT)
    • susan - 3 wins (KNR)
    • Capfalcon - 3 wins (KTS)

Darian on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Man, I'm tempted to paint my figures. The game is worth the effort.

Continuing discussion from the boardgame thread: I'm trying to get hints for Khorne, as our regular Khorne player just seems to struggle. I expect him to do better next game anyways, as Nurgle is our top winner now and people are starting to dick with Nurgle more in the early game. Still, the guy needs some help, as in most cases he'll just take advice from the rest of us.

Oh, and I signed up in the 17 thread. Never done a forum game before, however.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • The BasharThe Bashar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am up for PbP game. I have played the game 6 times in real life so I'm familiar with the Rules.

The Bashar on
    edited June 2010
    I got a rules question: what are the limits on assigning hits? I understand that assigned hits must be lethal, but let me show our scenario.

As Nurgle, I had a Plague Aura on Bretonnia. Battle Cry was in play, so no corruption. However, I was two points from a VP win, so Khorne and Slaanesh were piling on figures to beat my four tokens + figures. The warriors starting stacking up on all three sides to the point where Slaanesh and Khorne may have to target each other.

The question: can you assign hits OVER the lethal limit? Can you assign hits to a tipped unit? Is rolling battle dice mandatory?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, no, yes. You must always kill a unit when you can, basically. If Khorne and Slaanesh overshoot then they have to kill each other.

Lykouragh on
    edited July 2011
    A new expansion brings with it new rules questions. As an aid to players and hosts, I offer you the following.

Darian's personal Unofficial FAQ for the Horned Rat:
    1. Set up - how many Old World Cards should be used for a 3 player game including the Horned Rat? 4p? 5p?
      [My ruling - 7 cards for 4 or 5 players, 8 for 3, regardless of the Horned Rat's presence.]
    2. Dial advancement counters for Tzeentch, and Slaanesh -- are these once per region per phase, or can Tzeentch and Slaanesh spread out their corruption placement across phases? Can Tzeentch or Slaanesh earn more than one DAC from a single region during a round (e.g. from Havoc in battle then from corruption placement)?
      [My ruling - This is the biggest one. For now, I'll go with the FAQ which states that one DAC may be earned per phase per player. I'm going to interpret this as meaning that the condition must be met entirely within a phase. If I could only have one ruling from FFG, this is the one I want clarified.]
    3. Horned Rat's dial -- for Summon X, does the summoned figure need to be adjacent to your current figures?
      [My ruling - Yes, it must be adjacent since it does not say "in any region".]
    4. Rampage -- Essentially, does this act like the battle phase in all ways, or is it simply a battle?
      [My ruling - A big one; I like that Khorne has a way to get around the things that mess with the battle phase, so I'm going to go with a strict interpretation of the text. Things that specify "battle phase" do not trigger from a Rampage battle, but things like Vengeance (which only mentions battle dice) do.
      Trigger: Vengeance, Bloodbath, Skulltaker, Bloodletters, Great Unclean One, Pleasure Shield, Strength in Numbers, Vermin Outbreak
      Do not trigger: Choking Stench, Plaguebearers, Warpstorm, Havoc, Transmorgrify, Acolytes, Shroud of Secrets, Greenskins Invade, Electors Sue for Peace]
    5. Skulltaker followed by Rampage - can the killed units be summoned away from the region?
      [My ruling - Yes; nothing in the card locks the units in place.]
    6. Terror - can you choose to move only some cultists, leaving behind the cultists from another god?
      [My ruling - Yes, you make the choice to move or not separately for each god. And all the ones you move must go to the same region.]
    7. Does corruption placed by Filth or Blue Scribes grant a DAC? (For Filth, of course, it would take 2 of them in the same region)
      [My ruling - Yes; move, place, same thing. Replacing corruption is removing + placing.]
    8. Do Quicken Decay and Festival of Sinew trigger on figures that are moved by other effects? What if their own figures are moved out by an opponent (e.g., by Terror)?
      [My ruling - Yes; move, summon, place, same thing. And it looks for the source of the movement, not the owner of the figure.]
    9. Can Convocation pull figures from more than one region?
      [My ruling - No; it is singular in the card text. Compare to the original Blood God's Call, which specified "from any other region or regions."]
    10. Warp Portal with an upgraded Horror -- is the newly placed Horror a valid target for the Portal's teleportation?
      [My ruling - This is unclear, but doesn't seem overpowered to me, so I'll allow it. The "immediately" in the [COLOR="DodgerBlue"]Horror[/COLOR] upgrade gives it a sense of urgency that says it happens before the text of the Portal is resolved.]
    11. Acolytes upgrade -- after you cancel a hit, can the opponent still kill your acolyte by applying their next hit to it? Can another opponent kill the acolyte with their hits?
      [My Ruling - As written, it just cancels one hit. The question is when does it trigger?
      1. During the assignment of hits by a power, in which case he could assign another hit to the acolyte to kill it (feels too weak)
      2. After one power is done assigning hits, before the next power, in which case the next god could kill the acolyte
      3. After all powers assign their hits for the region, but before killed figures are removed
      Until we get an official ruling from FFG, individual groups will need to decide before choosing powers which of these timings should be used. For now, I'll go with #3 and see how it works.]
    12. Lord of Change upgrade -- if it is moved by Warp Portal, can it place a Warpstone? What if it is moved by Lambs to the Slaughter?
      [My ruling - Only triggers if Tzeentch does the summoning. Warp Portal, yes, Lambs to the Slaughter, no.]
    13. Shroud of Secrets -- if a player does not have enough hits left to kill an opponent's figure, can they apply the remaining hits to Slaanesh's? (e.g., if a Rat Ogre is present with some Seductresses and no Peasants, and Khorne only rolls one hit, can he target the Seductress or must he waste the hit?)
      [My ruling - No; the Slaanesh figures are not legal targets while anything else is alive.]
    14. Daemonette upgrade -- if the Daemonette dies or is summoned away from the region, does the cultist remain under Slaanesh's control?
      [My ruling - Since they didn't specify, as they did for the KoS in the base set, I'm going to guess they intended the control to persist, regardless, so I'll rule yes. This also implies that Slaanesh can summon the cultist away without losing control, just as with Soporific Musk in the base game.]
    15. Strength in Numbers and Verminous Horde -- what is the trigger condition for these? Are they the same, or is there a difference between them?
      [My ruling - The same; the Horned Rat must have more figures than each opponent, individually, or else there is no effect. The effect is all or nothing.]
    16. The Under Empire -- are the figures moved before or after the ruination bonus VP are awarded for being present in the region? (Essentially, if HR moves all his figures out, does he still get the ruination bonus? I know he won't be eligible for 1st/2nd place if he uses this.)
      Also, are regions with a Skaven token considered adjacent to all other regions, or just to other regions containing Skaven tokens?
      [My ruling - Timing of this happens after the contributing bonus for presence, so that the same rat can take part in more than one ruination.
      Regions containing Skaven are adjacent to each other, not to all regions.]
    17. The Light of Day/High Elf Protection -- can players choose a ruined region, to avoid placing the token? If so, can more than one player choose the same ruined region? Essentially, I'm wondering whether you meant "In order of Threat level (highest first), each player places one Event token in a different region."
      [My ruling - Yes, a ruined region can be chosen. For the second part, I'll stick with the card as written and say yes; since the region does not ever contain an Event token it remains a valid choice.]

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Game 17 has started; next week, I'll look to start game 18 (probably just taking the top four from the player rolls up there; that looks like a good game).

Darian on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dangit.

Have fun, all you Ruinous Powergamers!

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    Hmm... not much discussion happening here. But I'm going to throw up another thread this evening.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Who do you think is the easiest to play?

My first response is to say "not Tzeentch". I'm curious to hear what everyone else might say, though.

Darian on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, which Old God does the Critical Failures Hive Mind think is the simplest to start with?

Capfalcon on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    Capfalcon wrote:
    Who do you think is the easiest to play?

My first response is to say "not Tzeentch". I'm curious to hear what everyone else might say, though.

... Obviously you have mastered the ways of Tzeentch.

Capfalcon on
    edited June 2010
    Just as planned.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    Also, what upgrades are considered "Get me before anything else, you simpleton!"

It looks like, to me anyway, the cards, the second unit (Bloodrager?), the third unit (Seductress?), and the second unit (No idea).

Capfalcon on
    edited June 2010
    For Tzeentch and Slaanesh, the cultist upgrade (acolyte, seductress) is very hard to pass up. This allows Tzeentch to drag warpstones around, controlling how quickly regions are ruined and which regions qualify for his dial advance tokens, and for Slaanesh it makes his units much more survivable against Khorne.

Khorne, I've tended to say the cultist upgrade (bloodsworn) is important to allow more efficient battle dice, but you run the risk of helping regions be ruined too quickly if you use them. The Powerpoint upgrade is another good first choice for Khorne; bloodletters can be good if Nurgle is fighting back a lot with his plaguebearers (going for domination points rather than using his lepers for ruination).

Darian on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thinking of this question as, "If you drop a new player into a game with three experienced players, which god will give him the most enjoyment?" I would say Khorne is the best.

Slaanesh can get some overwhelming victories, but it requires good Old World results and smart use of chaos cards. Even Slaanesh's short dial victory is mostly a "if no one else wins, Slaanesh does" condition.

Tzeentch requires a similar elegance of card use and trickery.

Nurgle seems like a straightforward blob-the-world player, but he doesn't have Slaanesh's two-defense cultists or Tzeentch's defense card hell. His cards are very victory oriented, but don't particularly care if (and in fact, sometimes help) all of his pieces die spectacularly.

Khorne, at least, has a very obvious strategy: see manz, kill them. From there it turns into the much more difficult task of figuring out the most effective ways of killing manz, avoiding or nullifying your opponents' ability to save their manz, and planning long-term to make sure you always have available manz to kill.

admanb on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For Nurgle, Provender of Ruin (points on any ruination) is probably what you're going to want most of the time. It's rare that Nurgle gets more than one upgrade, and none of the other upgrades are going to get him the 6-9 points that Provender is.

I agree with "Not Tzeentch" for a first play. I think any of the other gods will do well for your first, but I guess Nurgle edges out for "simplest".

Lykouragh on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think Khorne and Tzeentch are actually both quite hard (Tzeentch is just the most complex). Khorne's requirements for winning are obvious and straightforward, of course, but balancing the other players and indeed even figuring out who's in the lead and how to stop him without gimping yourself is challenging. And even though all the gods ideally balance each other, I'd say Khorne has a larger responsibility than the others here (killing the manz of the leader), followed by Tzeentch, as they have the most sabotage cards. The second thing, sort of related, is that Khorne needs to be everywhere and has a lot of options each turn.

Tzeentch and Khorne, to me, are like playing the Axis in Axis and Allies. Lots of options, lots of pressure. Fun but difficult.

Slaanesh has his unkillable manz and mind control, and Nurgle's guys are cheap and more expendable strategically than the other gods'. Meaning that playing these two gods feel much more relaxed, to me at least. With Slaanesh i've tried winning on VP the same turn as dial, despite not really aiming for VP at all.

Which god would be the most fun for a newbie might also depend on what sort of game they prefeer normally - Khorne for the ameritrasher, Nurgle/Slaanesh for the eurogamer.

edit: also, I've always wanted to be part of a Hive Mind.

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    jakobagger wrote: »
    edit: also, I've always wanted to be part of a Hive Mind.

Well, you're not. You didn't repeat what was already stated.

...Unless the previous posters are the true rebels from the hive mind, and all the other Hive Minions are away currently, leaving you to hold down the fort.

But I think I might be leaning towards Khorne.

Capfalcon on
    edited June 2010
    Then I recommend drinking some sort of red beverage and blasting Slayer and/or Manowar while playing. Have fun chopping!

Also, I like thee cultist upgrade for Khorne (cheap battle dice), but as Darian says you have to be really careful not to help the other gods' ruinations. After that, the power upgrade.

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    Khorne is weird because your metagame early on will have Khorne as seemingly overpowered. As players learn to target him, he becomes very weak and Slaanesh/Nurgle will see their dominance until people get a handle on Tzeentch.

Khorne is a lot like a sheep-herder: you have to find threats to get players to waste a lot of PP running away from. Then find a vulnerable target and pounce.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • NoughtNought Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I would have to agree that Khorne is the most new player friendly.

And on that. I generally see Khornes first move as having to be placing a Cultist in Empire 95% of games.

It gives you excelent map control (every region is two PP or less away. Mostly less since only Norsca needs a two cultist brige), and only some extream placement of warpstone or/and heroes would make me do something else.

Or does the first turn teleport make this useless?

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited June 2010
    Nought wrote: »

And on that. I generally see Khornes first move as having to be placing a Cultist in Empire 95% of games.

It gives you excelent map control (every region is two PP or less away. Mostly less since only Norsca needs a two cultist brige), and only some extream placement of warpstone or/and heroes would make me do something else.

Tzeentch has better things to do than first turn teleport Khorne's cultist. Like first turn teleport Nurgle's leper out to Norsca.

Darian on
  • ShushnikShushnik regular
    edited June 2010

Tzeentch has better things to do than first turn teleport Khorne's cultist. Like first turn teleport Nurgle's leper out to Norsca.

That would be great fun, and I'll have to try it sometime, but Nurgle is the natural buffer for Tzeentch from Khorne's wrath. Taking him out so hard, so early, (Nurgle is the least mobile player, by far) seems like it would be counterproductive for Tzeentch.

Shushnik on
    edited June 2010
    Oh, and please put me at the bottom of the players list.

I still swear one day I'll figure out Gimp and run these games, but my natural program utilization abilities seem to be completely inapplicable to that software. It confounds me.

Shushnik on
    edited June 2010
    I use nothing but the rectangle selection tool, zoomed in to 200% (or 400% if needed). Select, cut, paste to move figures around. Cut and paste tokens from their hidden layer into the game. Copy and paste cards from their layer. Just make sure to select the right layer to paste things into.

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    I use nothing but the rectangle selection tool, zoomed in to 200% (or 400% if needed). Select, cut, paste to move figures around. Cut and paste tokens from their hidden layer into the game. Copy and paste cards from their layer. Just make sure to select the right layer to paste things into.

That's what I was trying to start with, but my results weren't good. I'll have to give it another attempt, because desire to play seems higher than host time, and I can add a bit of the latter if I ever get out of my funk. :)

Shushnik on
    edited June 2010
    Succes. Gimp beated. Do I link achivement?

When Darian have Game 18 up and running I'll send out invites for Game 19.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
    edited June 2010
    I'm just waiting on TheLawinator; you can go ahead and take the next four (or three and a newbie, or however you want to do it) if you like. I'm sure I'll be able to find a fourth player. :)

Darian on
  • AstargothAstargoth regular
    edited June 2010
    I would like to be added to the list of players.

Played in game 4.

Astargoth on
    edited June 2010
    Game 18 is go with the original four invitees; you're clear to start 19 whenever.

Also, added Shushnik and Astargoth to the list.

Darian on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Game 18 is go with the original four invitees; you're clear to start 19 whenever.

Also, added Shushnik and Astargoth to the list.

You and I would both be players in game 19; rematch! Last time we played I snuck past you for my devious Tzeentch victory =)

Rius on
    edited June 2010
    My biggest pet peeve is when Tzeentch and Khorne want to shuffle their discards back into their deck early.

No, you are not allowed to get back your Blood Frenzies and Changer of Ways early.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    What in the holy name of Chaos Undivided would be their justification for such an act?

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    They used them all up and needed more?

Darian on
    edited June 2010
    I can see their reason for doing it, but not how they would justify it to the other players...

jakobagger on
    edited June 2010
    They get down to like, five cards or so and want to do it early. But that can really have a huge impact on the game.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    They get down to like, five cards or so and want to do it early. But that can really have a huge impact on the game.

I've never seen Khorne need to shuffle. Sometimes Tzeentch, but never Khorne. He's got quite a few extra draws through ticks and things, but his deck seems bigger than his maximum draw capabilities.

Shushnik on
    edited June 2010
    Shushnik wrote: »

I've never seen Khorne need to shuffle. Sometimes Tzeentch, but never Khorne. He's got quite a few extra draws through ticks and things, but his deck seems bigger than his maximum draw capabilities.

24 Chaos cards per God.

7 rounds = 14 cards
    Starting with 3 cards
    3 'Draw two cards' on dial = 6

Maximum of 23 cards needed. But at the end the opponent more or less know what Khorne have. But I seriously doubt it will matter.

Nought on
    On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shushnik wrote: »

24 Chaos cards per God.

7 rounds = 14 cards
    Starting with 3 cards
    3 'Draw two cards' on dial = 6

Maximum of 23 cards needed. But at the end the opponent more or less know what Khorne have. But I seriously doubt it will matter.

Ritual Slaying and OWCs like Warpstone Discovery can get Khorne to a reshuffle.

Rius on