As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bibble-bibble Is that what you meant to say Issac?[Golden Sun 3 Thread of Out Now]

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I really liked both games and didn't even notice any of the things about the dialogue until I saw other people mention it. I guess I just don't care about those things.

Basically this.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've had a used copy of Golden Sun for years, I just stuck in in my DS to play.

I fell asleep :P. Not really the game's fault though, I was due for a nap.

Any things I should do/not do near the beginning?

captaink on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Grab all the djinns you can get your grubby hands on. They make progressing much easier. I recall one hiding in a small peninsula with a bunch of trees outside of town. There are a few more later on that can only be found in the overworld.

Also, don't just give the djinns to the corresponding adept, mix it up a little. You'll discover some badass classes this way.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jars wrote: »
    I played TLA first. I was all about collecting djinns. GS3 has got to have the longest development for any handheld ever. Only thing that struck me as kind of lame was the magic. It became useless after like lv10, weapon unleashes were way stronger.

and free

sol blade lets out a howl baby

that was basically a mid-sized summons right there

but some of the psynergy looked badass

garet's liquifier was sweet

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I loved the shit out of these games.

People always rag on about the dialogue being boring, and for the most part it was, but I think I must have used Mind read on every single NPC in the game. I am a sucker for expansive worlds in RPGs and will put up with a lot of bullshit if at the end of it there's neat town to explore with hidden items and junk. Getting the Boat in The lost age was a wonderful moment.

Oh and using Magic outside of battle is a really cool feature, and I wish more RPG did something similar.

The djinn were a very cool mechanic, although I generaly used their powers and summons over their passive class changing and always gave the fire djinn to Garrett, the water djinn to Mia etc. Unless there were some vines that needed growing.

Bantry on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I remember spending hours getting the Kikuichimonji and all those other random drops, and feeling so good once I had them all.

Then once Isaac and co. joined you in Lost Age, they absolutely sucked. Yay.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Then once Isaac and co. joined you in Lost Age, they absolutely sucked. Yay.

Sure, if you didn't transfer them.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No no, I meant the weapons from the drops. The Kikuichimonji was awesome in 1, horrible in TLA.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh, you mean the gear? Don't remember so much there. Goddamned dark matter weapons.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yep, you get much better loots in GS2.

Heck weapons right from the start have better proc abilities then the endgame loot from 1.

1 does have that piece of equipment that has you basically always go first though.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-golden-sun/101750

Shows battle mechanics. Apparantly, it now auto-targets instead of leaving you idling. Good for you lazy folks. :P

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Chen wrote: »

Shows battle mechanics. Apparantly, it now auto-targets instead of leaving you idling. Good for you lazy folks. :P

Nice. Looks like they fixed the one annoyance I had with the battle system.

There's also a video that shows some out of battle stuff. It looks like Golden Sun.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Someone remind me what happened at the end of two:
    It was basically all the lighthouses are lit and a new world is born right?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Basically
    The seal broke and the beacons merged to form a golden sun that revitalized the world's energy and all its inhabitants.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

holy fuck on hotwings

did you SEE ragnarok? :O

i'm just as impressed as when isaac learned it in the first game. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Basically
    The seal broke and the beacons merged to form a golden sun that revitalized the world's energy and all its inhabitants.

And don't forget that
    Alex got completely rocked by the Wise One and trapped under a couple hundred tons of stone.

Mars on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Hopefully the battle system is completely rebalanced. It was pretty flawed in the first games.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So yeah, who else thought that summoning judgement was the coolest moment of their entire childhood?

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if it's possible to have ever better music than TLA. It was better than GS1, so maybe.

Jars on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    As long as I will be able to assign earth, fire, wind, water, and heart djinn to my characters to make insane awesome skills and stats and madness, I will be happy. The rest can just stay as it was.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow, this looks very nice, I hope they add some new spells/djinns though because correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked like everything in the battle demo was in the first two games.

Also, the touch controls looked a bit iffy in that demo playthrough, but that could've just been because mr. annoying lacked patience.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Arteen wrote: »

Hopefully the battle system is completely rebalanced. It was pretty flawed in the first games.

what do you mean?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ERG I CANNOT FUCKING WAAAAAIT. I loved both these games to pieces when I was a kid. Watching these videos is making me so crazy. I want to be playing this RIGHT NOW.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited June 2010

what do you mean?
    I'm guessing the constant reusing of djinns that nullify damage against bosses. Although to be fair, some bosses like Dullahan completely fucked you over if you employed that strategy.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Looked like the touch screen stuff was optional, witch is nice.

Bantry on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really wonder how stupid I actually was when I played these games. I made everyone into the most Japanese class possible and pretty much only ever auto-attacked. Go! team of 3 samurai and a ninja! Auto-attack the bosses to death. Though I have to say that Golden Sun had one of the most interesting class systems I've ever played with.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Most of the people I hear complaining about this game, in this thread and everywhere else, got it because they heard the hype first.

I got GS:TLA at random because I was young and the art on the cartridge looked cool. Knew nothing about it.

I fucking loved that game.

Silven on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The presentation was definitely one of its major strengths. You have to remember that the first one came out just five months after the Game Boy Advance got released. The visuals were absolutely stunning back then and still is. Backgrounds are lush, sprites are detailed and the music is gorgeous. It's an absolute marvel from beginning to end.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

what do you mean?
    There are super effective/not very effective elemental attack bonuses, but I never found them to make much of a difference. I've beaten the game a few times and never bothered trying to use elemental advantages except against Saturos et. al., because they didn't seem to help much.

The djinni system, where you can pull off high-damage summons at the expense of your stats is a great idea, but the great risk/reward only ever comes into play during a few boss battles. In most battles (e.g. every generic random battle), there just isn't enough risk to it, and the battles are way too short for it to affect strategy.

Regular weapon attacks and weapon unleashes drastically outclass psynergy and djinni attacks later in the game. This takes out a lot of depth to the battles.

Area-of-effect psynergy attacks, where farther enemies take less damage, are a good idea in theory, but in most battles, I found that there wasn't a significant enough of a difference in damage between the middle targets and end targets. Usually, if the middle target dies, the end targets die too, or the end targets are at most one more hit away from death.

Basically, most battles can be won by spamming the normal attack, and only bosses tend to be fun to fight. This is all IMO, of course.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    well, that's only if you spam the normal attacks. for me, djinn attacks just looked so badass that i used em on a regular basis. and sure, weapons unleashes got pretty superb by the end of the game, but they weren't exactly reliable. the sol blade's megiddo was a free ~1000 points of damage, yeah, but you could get a guaranteed 700 or so by using flint.

plus, so many of the djinn's functions were great. say you're in a battle and your party take a hit or two. you don't need to use psynergy to heal, just use a djinni unleash. i was constantly using djinn in both games. i don't think i used battle psynergy except during boss fights where it was better to keep your djinn-boosted stats.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So PP restores constantly by walking around or something? That is great. Makes Ivan less of a chump.

captaink on
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The main reason most Psynergy sucked was that it barely scaled as you leveled/got better gear. There was the occasional spell that was modified by your ATP(Ragnarok, Heat Wave, notably Shuriken as the only ATP-based area spell), and those stayed very useful throughout the game. I'm sure they'll either make all psynergy ATP-based or make elemental power scale in the new game. They've had plenty of time to go over the flaws of the previous games.

Mars on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    sol blade unleashed like 90% of the time. plus it sent a giant meteor at someone

Jars on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I finally got around to beating GS1. I hear that the items carried over are pretty lame. I never did much with peppers/other stat items that I can remember, I might just use the Bronze password.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, all of the GS1 weapons will be underpowered by the time you get to them in GS2.

Arteen on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    You'd pretty much just want to transfer levels, Psynergy Items (though I think only the Orb of Force is used in TLA), and Djinn.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I went ahead and used silver. Some extra stats can't hurt. It apparently worked okay. I got all my Djinn, that's what really matters.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think the cleric's ring is pretty good because it lets you use the dark mater items. But you have to beat skull rock or whatever it is.

Jars on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh man
    ohhh man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZiA2CbIwQ

kotaku says it's delayed, but this new footage is making me misty

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Dammit, now I wanna go replay the GBA games even though my backlog's pretty bogged down.

Mx. Quill on