As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Karaoke Recommendations (In Japan)

Bebop7Bebop7 Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'll be in Japan for 8 weeks this summer for a study-abroad program, so I'm sure I'll have numerous opportunities to embarrass myself on a karaoke machine (drunk or otherwise).

What I'm looking for are some suggestions for easy-to-sing songs that are popular in Japan. It doesn't matter to me whether they are in English or Japanese, but I would prefer them to be songs sung by men, since I am a dude.

I've already checked the most recent Top-20 charts for Japan, but it seems like most of their recent singers with any talent are female. If you find anything, a Youtube link or song/band name would be great. Thanks guys.

DesolationJones.png
Bebop7 on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Turbo is always popular

seemingly in every asian country

Raneados on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    'Choo-Choo Train' by Exile, 'Snow' by Red Hot Chili Peppers, 'Bad Day' by Daniel Powter, 'Lovin' Life' by Funky Monkey Baby's, 'Change' by Monkey Majik + Yoshida Kyodai 'Sotsugyo, Soshite Miraihe' by Monkey Majik + SEAMO and 'Koukou sannensei' by whoever (it's an old song that's been covered several times and will surprise whoever you're with if you sing it) are all pretty popular at kareoke right now.

Just because '8 weeks' and 'summer' strike a chord of familiarity, you're not going to the Michigan Centre in Shiga, are you?

Change
    Choo Choo Train
    Sotsugyo, Soshite Miraihe

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2007
    Bebop7 wrote: »
    What I'm looking for are some suggestions for easy-to-sing songs that are popular in Japan. It doesn't matter to me whether they are in English or Japanese, but I would prefer them to be songs sung by men, since I am a dude.

Karaoke-ing something ridiculous is actually a lot easier because nobody takes you seriously

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bebop7Bebop7 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Just because '8 weeks' and 'summer' strike a chord of familiarity, you're not going to the Michigan Centre in Shiga, are you?

Nope, I'm going to the IJST program at Kanazawa Institute of Technology. Thanks for all the suggestions!

And yeah, I'm hoping that there's some random/crazy English songs on the machines so that I can hide the fact that I'm a bad singer. D: :whistle:

Bebop7 on
    DesolationJones.png
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ArcticXC on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Bebop7 wrote: »

Karaoke-ing something ridiculous is actually a lot easier because nobody takes you seriously
    From what I understand, the rest of the world isn't like the US when it comes to Karaoke. In other words, getting plastered and then belting out the worst rendition of "Total Eclipse of the Heart" isn't looked upon kindly. When I was in Portugal, they treated it like a mini-American Idol.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Usually in Japan, Karaoke is something you do in a private 'box' with your friends. People kinda take it seriously, but have fun and have very low standards.

So it's not something you'd be doing in front of a bar. If you hang out with Japanese friends, then you can go to a Karaoke box, and the machines have a shocking amount of songs to choose from.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.