As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Split/Second = Burnout Revenge & Excite Truck with Michael Bay riding shotgun

2»

• Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Glad I rented this but am loving while I still have it. Feels a whole lot like burnout to me too. Just less smashy and more explodey.

Seems like it's pretty important to snag the 'instant replays' when you activate a power play (I'm not positive exactly when it shows up). Besides the awesome little cutscene it seems to automatically keep you safe from the havoc you've caused, spitting you out in front of the carnage after you watch it

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying to decide if I want this or wait for Criterion's new Need for Speed title.

I trust them due to Burnout Paradise...but I kind of want an over the top racer to play with.

I'm so unsure. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Its 40 dollars on Amazon right now. Its time to scoop it up.

I got it for 9.99 thanks to some amazing gift certificates from recent bought games : )

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, rented this today. Pretty sweet.

The demo level was pretty tame compared to some of the other tracks.

I am most definitely impressed.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Big Rig Boom - Airplane Graveyard - Detonator

Without that top speed start, it is pretty much impossible to get first place unless you do a perfect run. I mean perfect as in no fuck ups on any sector. That wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have such a shitty car (a truck of all things).

If I have to do another one with another piece of shit car, I'm going to give up on the game. Time trials are definitely not fun in this game. I mean, I rather be blowing fools up.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2010
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Big Rig Boom - Airplane Graveyard - Detonator

Without that top speed start, it is pretty much impossible to get first place unless you do a perfect run. I mean perfect as in no fuck ups on any sector. That wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have such a shitty car (a truck of all things).

If I have to do another one with another piece of shit car, I'm going to give up on the game. Time trials are definitely not fun in this game. I mean, I rather be blowing fools up.

I disagree about the time trials not being fun. Yes, getting first place is difficult, but I am getting 2nd or third on my first try on all of them. I think it's sweet how the course is going apeshit trying to slow you down during the time trials.

I just finished the final "episode" and have to say I had quite a bit of fun. My wife did too. I do however wish that for the final episode they had a new course that had every single power play be some epic building-collapsing explosion.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited June 2010
    Since I'm a stubborn person, I won't move on until I get first on an event. The time trial times for first are just too stupidly difficult. All that stuff you mentioned about how it's cool that shits going crazy on the track? Well, that just becomes part of the track after your fifth or so attempt. It almost made me forget how awesome that stuff is during an actual race.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2010
    Since I'm a stubborn person, I won't move on until I get first on an event. The time trial times for first are just too stupidly difficult. All that stuff you mentioned about how it's cool that shits going crazy on the track? Well, that just becomes part of the track after your fifth or so attempt. It almost made me forget how awesome that stuff is during an actual race.

I understand completely. I only didn't go for first in every event because I was alternating turns with my wife, and wanted to unlock more tracks for split screen. I got first in everything for the first 3 episodes, and I don't think I had to try more than 5 times for any of those 3 detonator events to get first. While difficult, simply memorizing the track, and driving to the cars strength (not driving in your own style regardless of the car) should get you a first place without too many attempts.

edit: I do have to say it was mildly frustrating on the third one because 3 times in a row I was less than a second short of getting first, and the fourth try when I finally got it, I beat the time by 4 seconds.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited June 2010
    Nope, sorry, but this game is junk. I've never seen such awful rubber band AI since Burnout 3 and even then it wasn't so one sided. I literally spent an hour coming in second always losing by a fraction of a second. The AI always zoomed out of nowhere and won the race. Even if I had a five second lead, it would evaporate in seconds since they some how have faster cars than me even though they really don't.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2010
    Nope, sorry, but this game is junk. I've never seen such awful rubber band AI since Burnout 3 and even then it wasn't so one sided. I literally spent an hour coming in second always losing by a fraction of a second. The AI always zoomed out of nowhere and won the race. Even if I had a five second lead, it would evaporate in seconds since they some how have faster cars than me even though they really don't.

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I only had the problem when I was drifting a lot. Drifting slows you down considerably, even though it doesn't look like it. If you can take the turn without drifting, and you are more concerned with speed than getting power, do it.

Also, I forgot you said you weren't continuing on until you got first, but the later unlocked cars are WAY faster, so another reason to just fly through every event to unlock as many cars as you can, then go back and try to get first in them. I went back and did some of the earlier events with elite cars I unlocked and was beating second place by more than 10 seconds.

Honestly I'm not sure how I unlocked the elite cars. I think it was from getting first in the elite races. After the final episode I had gotten first in the elite tournament by 6 points.

ghost_master2000 on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah I noticed the same thing. I only had the problem when I was drifting a lot. Drifting slows you down considerably, even though it doesn't look like it. If you can take the turn without drifting, and you are more concerned with speed than getting power, do it.

Also, I forgot you said you weren't continuing on until you got first, but the later unlocked cars are WAY faster, so another reason to just fly through every event to unlock as many cars as you can, then go back and try to get first in them. I went back and did some of the earlier events with elite cars I unlocked and was beating second place by more than 10 seconds.

Honestly I'm not sure how I unlocked the elite cars. I think it was from getting first in the elite races. After the final episode I had gotten first in the elite tournament by 6 points.

I've been getting first in the elite races without much effort. Those aren't too bad. The AI feels about the same as burnout, but a little tougher. Though since you can blow up the ones that pass you, it's not too bad.

Maybe I'm just used to rubberband AI in racing games. Either way the explosions make everything better.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • SilvenSilven Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has anyone mentioned how annoying it is that you can't physically move the AI at all, but they can bat you around like a ragdoll?

Silven on
    edited June 2010
    That was on Episode 8 I believe. I'm not sure if the patch eased up the AI a bit because I was easily able to do that event after the fact. Then again, I did have that track and trap layout memorized. The rubber band AI is really a problem with this game and not in a good way.

As for actual car aggression, I'm always using light cars so I'm always going to be pushed around and not push anyone else. I'm not sure if the same applies to heavy cars. That would be pretty dumb.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2010
    So, now this game has gotten easy with the top tier cars. I don't know if the patch has anything to do with it, but I'm smoking fools in races now. The only real problem is the cars have no durability and can wreck pretty easily.

I'm also convinced the AI has no actual awareness of you on the track. I am now constantly getting picked up (that is my car goes on top of the AI's car) by other cars. I know for a fact that doing this is way slower than just overtaking me. It more or less reminds of how cars in Gran Turismo 4 would just turn into you as if you weren't there.

Shady3011 on
    edited June 2010
    Unlocked the Power Plant track. This might be my favorite track for not just the explosions, but also the awesome racing the track design yields. I'm going to play some multiplayer this weekend for the first time and I'm really looking forward to crazy amounts of explosions.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited June 2010
    So, now this game has gotten easy with the top tier cars. I don't know if the patch has anything to do with it, but I'm smoking fools in races now. The only real problem is the cars have no durability and can wreck pretty easily.

I'm also convinced the AI has no actual awareness of you on the track. I am now constantly getting picked up (that is my car goes on top of the AI's car) by other cars. I know for a fact that doing this is way slower than just overtaking me. It more or less reminds of how cars in Gran Turismo 4 would just turn into you as if you weren't there.

Agreed. There's practically no recognition of your existence- if you move in a way to block them, they don't adjust at all. They just keep trying to go that same direction in exactly the same away until the track changes and they need to move somewhere else. The AI flaws are really the only thing keeping this game from being some sort of golden god of entertainment for me.

Also, the lack of a way to keep track of speed is surprisingly frustrating.

Silven on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked this up today after forgetting I had the demo and tried it out over the weekend. I love the intense surprise action of the game.

Yeah it might lose its neatness after I get used to it but the power plays coupled with the awesome soundtrack make it extremely fun right now.

Although it makes me wish for a new non-open world Burnout...

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Picked this up today after forgetting I had the demo and tried it out over the weekend. I love the intense surprise action of the game.

Yeah it might lose its neatness after I get used to it but the power plays coupled with the awesome soundtrack make it extremely fun right now.

Although it makes me wish for a new non-open world Burnout...

I would love that. I'm kind of hoping the new Criterion NFS scratches that itch.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I don't care for shortcuts or alternate roots in racing games which Burnout Revenge started showcasing and then of course Paradise had its thing. When you gotta takeout other cars I prefer a fixed path.

I find it odd you can't really do much against the other cars in this game other then the power plays.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Yeah I don't care for shortcuts or alternate roots in racing games which Burnout Revenge started showcasing and then of course Paradise had its thing. When you gotta takeout other cars I prefer a fixed path.

I find it odd you can't really do much against the other cars in this game other then the power plays.

Yeah i would love a mix between split/second and burnout. Being able to trigger explosions, AND smash cars into walls, AND boost would be fantastic.

ghost_master2000 on
    edited July 2010

Yeah i would love a mix between split/second and burnout. Being able to trigger explosions, AND smash cars into walls, AND boost would be fantastic.

That would be awesome. Especially if it was more difficult to take out other cars than in Burnout. In Split Second it feels like the AI can move you so much more than you can move them. That got really annoying toward the later levels of the game.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    edited July 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

That would be awesome. Especially if it was more difficult to take out other cars than in Burnout. In Split Second it feels like the AI can move you so much more than you can move them. That got really annoying toward the later levels of the game.

Exactly! When you start unlocking the really fast cars, you veer of course and start drifting uncontrollably every time they so much as nudge you. They're as unmovable as the walls of the track, practically, and it's ruining the game for me

Silven on
    edited July 2010
    Ahahahaaa

Yeah...I just went an 180 on this game. Got to that point where you get some speed too and now its just aggravating to play where unlike Burnout speed only adds to the excitement. I treat the other cars as things to dodge now which I think is fun but still.

Also drifting is confusing in this game. It seems like a lot of trouble to do it but its one of the tree ways to build your meter. Arcade games are supposed to have fun crazy drifting not fuck I drifted so I am in last place now type.

I love the presentation of the game and knew it would get old fast but damn I was thinking in explosions not annoying gameplay. Thankfully Burnout 3 is still playable.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Woop, got the perfection achievement. I left a few of the detonator events till the end but the event that gave me the most trouble was the last air revenge. Had to get the drifts just right and never get caught in the wake of the missile explosions.

Now that I've got the Firestorm gonna start working on my online form factor. Shouldn't take too long, at 43 now.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone still playing this?

I picked it up a few weeks ago on a strangely unadvertised sale at Best Buy. It's strange how much it actually feels to me more like Blackrock's previous title PURE (of which I am a big fan) than Burnout (of which I am also a big fan), despite having fast cars and destruction rather than ATVs and tricks.

It's a great game to play in short bursts.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited November 2010
    I liked it quite a bit and it was very intense. The music is amazing in it and I love the ABC or NBC like reality show presentation.

Then the AI started cheating in the higher levels and I said fuck you. Sold it off. But hey I hear there is new DLC around.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The music was one of the best parts.

Speeding along at stupid speeds, powersliding around a collapsing cooling tower then dropping a platform on the guy in front with the movie style soundtrack was badass.

Being first place in an online race is also fucking scary.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited November 2010
    After having played for a couple of weeks now, I think the highest compliment I can pay Split/Second is this: With none of its central gimmick of cinematic destruction, the game could still stand as a fine arcade racer. The tracks have a real flow and variety to them, the physics walk that line between punishing and forgiving, and the AI is just cheap enough to keep things interesting without being totally douchey (or, at least, so far, about halfway through the campaign; does it get really bad?). The key achievement here is that the power plays are a layer of over-the-top awesomeness on top of some already great racing, rather than an attempt to make dull racing more interesting.

And the music is pretty awesome.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    edited November 2010
    After having played for a couple of weeks now, I think the highest compliment I can pay Split/Second is this: With none of its central gimmick of cinematic destruction, the game could still stand as a fine arcade racer. The tracks have a real flow and variety to them, the physics walk that line between punishing and forgiving, and the AI is just cheap enough to keep things interesting without being totally douchey (or, at least, so far, about halfway through the campaign; does it get really bad?). The key achievement here is that the power plays are a layer of over-the-top awesomeness on top of some already great racing, rather than an attempt to make dull racing more interesting.

And the music is pretty awesome.

This is pretty much how I feel. Though I don't think there are enough courses, especially if you take away the crazy explosions and course changes.

Also, prepare for the AI to get a lot worse. The last 2-3 seasons are controller through TV annoying. The AI cars seem to go way too fast.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, a quick google turned up nothing, so I'm asking here:

Is the online mode cheated all the way to hell?

I ask because we're playing on Live right now on a friend's machine and all other online opponents have one lousy bar on the car stats meter (and the car looks exactly like the worst car in the game, except without the rear wing), and they just disappear, having seemingly insane top speeds, and winning races with 10-40 seconds, sometimes not even allowing us to finish a race...

...what the fuck is going on? (Yes, we tried the worst car ourselves, and we lost even worse.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    Poor, benighted Blackrock Studios and their fatal failure to make enough money for Disney Interactive. They will never grace our consoles again with a fine and unusual racer like Pure or Split/Second.

However, for this Black Friday week at Amazon, you can pick up the 360 version of Split/Second for $12.99. If you lack this lovely game, and do not hate quality arcade racing or great deals, you really should cruise on over and pick it up.

valar-moreshellus.png
    If anyone picks this up, you should also get the awesome Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. That game makes this year's NFS look like shit. Actually, Split/Second does that quite easily and that isn't saying much as The Run is fucking junk. Even with Split/Seconds problems, it is miles ahead of The Run and so is Hot Pursuit. I guess I might as well throw in Dirt 3 since I hear it is just as good as Dirt 2, which I enjoyed from what I played. Lots of good deals on arcade (which is what I like about Dirt since it can feel just like it ala Forza 3/4) racers.