As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kirby's Epic Yarn - more yarn than you can shake a wiimote at

ChenChen Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
Why isn't there a thread for this and Donkey Kong Country rehash does? Easily one of the most pleasant surprises of this E3.

LOOK AND MARVEL AT HIS YARN

It's also cooperative

How awesome is that?

In short, if you don't like this, you should go to a doctor, because you may be dead inside.

V0Gug2h.png
Chen on

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I await the Angry Kirby boxart.

subedii on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is easily the most graphically creative thing Ive seen in a long time. This is impressive.

When he pulled the string, that made the cloth come together to close a gap - that was pretty damn awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Graphics are lovely, but this is by the Brawl team, and the Brawl singleplayer was kind of weak.
    We'll see.

Xagarath on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Things like this make me wish I could still afford games. :(

MKR on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    More gameplay movies at Gametrailers.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-kirbys-epic/700282?type=flv

Looks like Kirby can't fly by himself in this game. I have no problem with this if it means it's easier for them to design creative levels that you can't just breeze through.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    First you draw a circle . . .
    So far this looks like a very interesting take on Kirby - I guess his "versatility" as a character allows Nintendo try all sorts of experimental mechanics with him. It looks pretty Kirbyish to me; the yarn snag is just like the inhale, and I guess the shapeshifting will be tied to certain enemies like the copy mechanic. The art style is what really gets me though, simple yet striking. Good to see Kirby back in an actual console platformer since, what, Kirby 64?

Grimthwacker on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The visual design is just enthralling, especially when it starts bringing out the yarn outline stuff. For some reason I'm thinking of Black Velvetopia from Psychonauts, and that is a very good thing.

Sorenson on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Graphics are lovely, but this is by the Brawl team, and the Brawl singleplayer was kind of weak.
    We'll see.

For a fighting game campaign, I thought it was really good.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The first screen of this game made me go "really?" but omg when he started manipulating the environment. Holy crap.

I also really really love line heavy art.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game is beautiful.

glithert on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The visuals in this game seem to have a lot of character. I love some Kirby games (others are just kind of "meh"). This one looks to be awesome and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    We'll see.

For a fighting game campaign, I thought it was really good.

Yeah, SSE was great for what it was...a fun little bonus

Rent on
  • kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    love this thread

kaleedity on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kaleedity wrote: »
    love this thread

I see what you did there.

And this looks fantastic. Day one purchase.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really didn't have much interest in this. I don't get too excited about Kirby games, but I decided I wanted to know why it was called "Epic Yarn" and clicked in this thread.

This looks stinkin' amazing.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The art is very nice and it's a neat mechanic and all, but...

Am I the only one not seeing this as a Kirby game? He doesn't inhale anymore and just lasso's things and changes form cuz he's a piece of string...? I dunno, Kirby being the crazy cannibal with insatiable hunger and copycat abilities was always his shtick in my mind, so to me this yarn thing would have better with a different main character. Seems like they are trying to use the Kirby name on a different game altogether.

But hey, I love platformers, so I'll prolly still get this.

Galielmus on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Galielmus wrote: »
    The art is very nice and it's a neat mechanic and all, but...

Am I the only one not seeing this as a Kirby game? He doesn't inhale anymore and just lasso's things and changes form cuz he's a piece of string...? I dunno, Kirby being the crazy cannibal with insatiable hunger and copycat abilities was always his shtick in my mind, so to me this yarn thing would have better with a different main character. Seems like they are trying to use the Kirby name on a different game altogether.

But hey, I love platformers, so I'll prolly still get this.

I do see that issue. Kirby lost his core mechanics. It makes me wonder if this started off as something else until they slapped the Kirby IP on it.

EDIT - What am I saying? Everything visually is Kirby. That phoenix boss is Dyna-fucking-Blade. I think they put some thought into it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He still is, it just looks like it's more of a Prototype-ish "absorb the target's biological matter and all of their powers and knowledge" thing instead of him being a miniature black hole as usual.

EDIT: How on earth is it really different? He still absorbs dudes and gains their powers, he still jumps around and explores and fights bosses, it's the Kirby we all know and love but artsier.

Sorenson on
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, this game is just the makers spinning a different yarn on the Kirby franchise.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It would feel more Kirby-ish to me if he lasso'd them into his mouth, but it's a minor issue. So minor as to be almost nonexistent.

glithert on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That video put a big ole smile on my face. So, so charming.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really wanted Kirby to be able swallow people, if only because he is see-through now.

You'd be able to see them being digested.

Blurbl on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kirby's see-through because he consists of a bunch of yarn with eyes, not because of transparency.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I get the same wonderful feeling watching this as I did when Yoshi's Island was first revealed.

It's just so charmingly creative. This was probably my biggest surprise this E3, and now my most anticipated game of the year besides Other M.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Good to see Kirby back in an actual console platformer since, what, Kirby 64?
    Did that Cube game not get released? Or did it just not make it out of Japan? It was near the end off the Cube's life span IIRC.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited June 2010
    I was talking with some people about the new games announced and one started bemoaning that DKCR and Kirby should be WiiWare since these types of games don't belong in retail any longer.

I hate people. :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I was talking with some people about the new games announced and one started bemoaning that DKCR and Kirby should be WiiWare since these types of games don't belong in retail any longer.

I mean, if I can get them for cheaper...

Seriously though, I'd pay $50 for either of these no problem, but I could see either one being a Wiiware title. Hell, I bought Wario Shake It. If that could be a retail title so can these, it's the same style of game.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited June 2010
    They use no less resources than something like Little Big Planet, NSMB or Brawl. Or were they suggested as a download too?

Graphically they're just as good as any other game, if not better since they can put textures to better use with a locked camera view. None of them would fit in the Wii's size limit for downloadable games, or even the Wii's total system memory.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I also hate those people and want more platformers to get retail releases.

That said, I do think some of the critics have a point that 2D platformers can be a bit lacking in the replayability factor. Higher difficulties don't do a whole lot, since the challenge of a platformer usually comes from the stage itself. At least, that's part of the challenge anyway. And asking for whole new levels for higher difficulties is a bit unreasonable. Hiding a ton of hidden stuff in levels in another popular route, but those can feel a bit like time sinks.

So that said, what kind of fluff would people like to see added to this game?

Rex Dart on
    edited June 2010
    This same person said the same thinga bout NSMBWii.

I just hate how 2D seems to have been relegated to many to downloadable. I'm glad Nintendo still feels this type of game is important enough to be a major release.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We'll see.

Pretty sure Kirby's Epic Yarn is in development by Good-Feel, which made the awesome Wario Land: Shake It!

So I'm not concerned in the least.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited June 2010
    Yea, Good-Feel are doing the game as far as I know, it's just being overseen by Hal.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a story. This is a story of the NES, a young boy, and a single mother looking to reach out to her child.

I was born with a large amount of hearing loss. I had several surgeries as a small child to restore my hearing. I was sick a lot too. Ear infections, bronchitus. I was not a well child.

When i was 2, my grandparents bought me an NES. The year was 1988. They bought me the NES that came with Mario Bros and Duck Hunt. I learned to play video games very fast.

A few years later i underwent a complicated and painful surgery to restore my hearing. It was successful but the recovery would last through my 7th birthday. At that time a new game was being advertised on tv. A new game in a series i had played the first of on my Game boy. It was called Kirby's Adventure.

My mother knew i liked Kirby from the first game. As a child i blathered on about it constantly, in my broken and hard to understand near deaf english. So on my birthday... I was given a gift. I always received gifts on my birthday... being the only grandson and only nephew, well lets face it... only child in the family. But my mom, not being wealthy like the rest of my family, bought me few gifts. It was not something i ever put any thought into. I understood from a very young age that we had to save and work for money.

But she bought me a gift that year. It was a small rectangle wrapped in hand drawn paper. My mom always designed her own wrapping paper for gifts, and this one had a little pink puffball on it. I recognized him instantly. Carefully removing the paper tied with pink string... i found a copy of Kirby's Adventure inside the paper. I was ecstatic.

After the party was over and the grandparents and aunts and uncles had all left.. me and my mom played the game that night. We took turns. You die, you switch turns. I was better at the game than her, but i always insisted she take a turn.

We played that game off on on for weeks, beating it several times, and figuring out every secret in it.

It became our game.

My mom was not a platformer type of person. She plays video games, but she always liked shmups, cave shooters, and bullet hell shooters. Galaga is still her favorite game to this day.

But every kirby game that ever had two players in it we played together. And those that didnt, we would trade turns in. Kirby's Super Star was an exemplary game for us. It came at a time when i was struggling with school, both socially, and fighting serious illness.

Kirby and the Amazing Mirror was another landmark. I had grown up quite a bit... but me and my mom still spent time together. I bought her a GBA that time. It was a gift to her, though to be honest the gift gave so much in return that i cant honestly say i did do it selflessly.

Yesterday i showed my mom Kirby's Epic Yarn. My mother is 53 years old now. Her console is the Wii. I stick to my pc most of the time, and she sticks to the classics on the virtual console.

After i showed my mom that game... she said something. Something that surprised me.

"This time... I get to be Kirby."

I smiled. Its a concession im willing to make to keep a long standing tradition going in this household.

For 17 years now... Kirby has been a part of my life in a deep and profound way. The Orange Ocean selection screen music from Kirby's Adventure still makes me tear up, when i think about those times i played the game with my mom.

This is my game of E3 this year. I give it my stamp of approval.

~ Dr S Words, June 17th 2010

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Funny, I seem to have something in my eye....

Heh, I found a copy of Kirby's Adventure for $4 a few years ago. Mint in box, WITH the styrofoam insert. Still a great game--the last really big NES release. They pushed that hardware to the limit.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    edited June 2010
    He, I still play the original Kirby's Adventure on my NES.

Fantastic game, touching story good sir. :up:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited June 2010
    Playing video games at a young age with your parents is always a special thing for some reason. These days my parents just plain don't play anything, but back in the day we shared a lot. I remember them all very specifically: with my mom, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Mickey's Castle of Illusion, Toejam and Earl...later on with my dad, Metal Gear Solid and Tomb Raider. I have great memories from all of them.

I remember my mom was really good at Castle of Illusion but she just couldn't beat the pink dragon boss, and I begged her for a try on her last life...and I beat him first time (because I had seen the pattern). She was impressed and I was so proud.

UncleSporky on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Me and my dad's game was Heavy Barrel. Me and my mom's game was "Shut that fucking thing off and go outside!" I didn't like that game so much.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, your parents played videogames with you?

:cry:

Blurbl on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We'll see.

Pretty sure Kirby's Epic Yarn is in development by Good-Feel, which made the awesome Wario Land: Shake It!

So I'm not concerned in the least.

Much better, in that case.

Xagarath on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Wait, your parents played videogames with you?

:cry:

Limed for sad truth. :(

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.