As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wonder Woman, or How Hippolyta Got Her Groove Back

Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's StockingNorth PoleRegistered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
hello friends

I have a lady who I am getting into the wonderful world of comics, and it seems she has taken a shine to the big tittied greek chick.

Now, I know DC, but my knowledge mainly lies in the Marvel spectrum of things.

That said, I would like to know of a good modern origin story

if there is one to be had

if not, what is the best introduction other than the new series?

also what are some good graphic novels and the like

thank you

xmassig2.gif
Kuribo's Shoe on

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rucka's entire run was pretty awesome. And I heard good things about Perez and Jimenez's runs as well.

Also the story "The Hiketeia" was pretty good too.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is one of the harder recommendation topics because there just doesn't seem to be a lot of great Wonder Woman material.

In 52 week 12, Mark Waid suggests "Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals" by George Perez and "Wonder Woman: Eyes of Gorgon" by Greg Rucka, though.

I will also second The Hiketeia, if only for the JG Jones art.

Lux on
  • Options
    Ani_BAni_B Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am disappointed in the choices available, in our local comic store, there are origins available for just about every older superhero, it's just so much harder to find origins for super heroines.

Is there an original reprint origin available? Or would no such thing exist?

Cause there is a Spider-Woman origins, while I do apreciate the arachnid ladies of super powers, I much prefer the big busted Creek lady like shoe so eloquently said.

Ani_B on
    Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As everyone else has said, anything by Greg Rucka is good. His entire run's been collected in trades that can easily be found on Amazon (heehee Amazon heehee). Start with Down to Earth, then read Bitter Rivals, Eyes of the Gorgon, Land of the Dead, and Mission's End. Avoid anything written by Allan Heinberg or Jodi Picoult, as their only saving grace is good art.

I'd also recommend Trinity by Matt Wagner. It's a story about Wonder Woman's first meeting with Batman and Superman, and a pretty good primer on all three heroes.

Edit: If you want reprints of her original stories, you'll unfortunately have to settle for DC's Wonder Woman Archives. They're good, solid hardbacks with fully restored coloring all kinds of jazz, but they're really expensive. Or you can go with the much more reasonably priced Showcase Presents: Wonder Woman, due out in a few months. The Showcase books are in black and white, and come in big volumes that resemble telephone books. The paper quality isn't all that great, but they're really affordable and the art's still been cleaned up to look really good

Munch on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do not get any of her current run (all 8 of them in a year...) or Amazons attack.

If Wonder Girl would be acceptable, Young Justice is pretty damn awesome.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Do not get any of her current run (all 8 of them in a year...) or Amazons attack.

If Wonder Girl would be acceptable, Young Justice is pretty damn awesome.

I didn't think there was anything terribly wrong with the Allan Heinberg arc, aside from the fact that it was terribly late and still unfinished. Had it come out on time, before the start of JLofA like it should of, nobody would have complained. And from what I hear issue 8 (which I havent read yet) of the Picoult arc is actually pretty good, and leads right into Amazons Attack. Amazons Attack Im still undecided on, as the first issue was pretty much "here comes the Amazons, with a dash of Black Lightning" so Im reserving judgement on that (which is always perfect by the way). Plus, it's a Pfeifer and Woods story. Pfeifer and Woods.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm gonna go ahead and reccomend Gail Simone's run on WW... which won't start until towards the end of this year.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And of course there's the alternative in Alan Moore's Promethea.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Promethea's really not a superhero story. Have her tackle some Birds of Prey trades. Might not have Wondy but it showcases the other big-hitter lady heroes.

Red or Alive on