As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread. Use the newer, cooler thread.

ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Games and Technology

1051 Downloadable songs as of August 17th, 2010.
55 of 58 Rock Band 1 tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)
84 Rock Band 2 on-disc tracks
18 AC/DC Live tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)
45 Lego Rock Band tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)
47 Green Day Rock Band tracks exportable to Rock Band 2 (360/PS3)

1300 Total tracks available for Rock Band 2 (not including RBN)

Wanna check out RBN tracks? GO HERE

This Week's DLC

Ministry 01
  • “Stigmata”
  • “Thieves”
  • “Jesus Built My Hotrod”

These tracks will be available for purchase as “Ministry Pack 02,” as well as individual tracks, on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 system, and as individual tracks only on Wii.

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per track
$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points) for Ministry Pack 02
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

Next Week's DLC

The Black Keys
  • “Strange Times”
  • “I Got Mine”
  • “Your Touch”

Neon Trees
  • “Animal”
  • “Sins of My Youth”
  • “1983”

Price:
$1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points) per track
$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track
$5.49, £2.49 UK, €3.99 EU (440 Microsoft Points) for The Black Keys Pack 01 or Neon Trees Pack 01

Future DLC

Confirmed by artist/band and developers/MTV:
  • Snoop Dogg
  • More Jimi Hendrix DLC
  • Pearl Jam (more live stuff or a standalone game)

FREE STUFF
The following songs are available for free download via the Rock Band Music Store for the PS3, 360, and the Wii (those not on the Wii are noted):
  • "Still Alive" by GLaDOS and Jonathan Coulton
  • "Promised Land" by Vesuvius *not on the Wii*
  • "Charlene (I'm Right Behind You)" by Stephen and the Colberts *not on the Wii*
  • "Headphones On" by Miranda Cosgrove
  • "Dreaming of Love" by Lights Resolve
  • "Am I Crazy" by Little Fish

If you purchased Rock Band 2 brand spanking new, you are entitled to an additional 20 free tracks, mostly from Indie bands. Check the back of the manual for instructions. The code is a one time use. The pack includes:
"Ashes to Fire" by Ghost Hounds
"Bounce" by the Cab
"Burn You Down" by Opiate for the Masses
"Crazy Tuesday" by Thenewno2
"Database Corrupted" by Dealership
"Desperate Times, Desperate Measures" by Underoath
"Get It On" by the Chevelles
"Give It to Me" by the Cocktail Slippers
"I Wanna Be Your Man" by Endeverafter
"I'm Gone, I'm Going" by Lesley Roy
"I.V." by X Japan
"If I Ain't Got You" by the Len Price 3
"Like a Fool" by Shaimus
"Magnetic Baby" by Semi Precious Weapons
"No Regrets" by Authority Zero
"Prequel to the Sequel" by Between the Buried and Me
"Sons and Daughters" by the 88
"The Feeling" by Kutless
"The Time Is Wrong" by Tickle Me Pink
"Young" by Hollywood Undead

HARMONIX PODCAST
The podcast is linked up on the 'Zine page of the RockBand.com page. Subscribe via iTunes

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
Rock Band DLC list via WikiPedia
Rock Band Unplugged DLC list via WikiPedia

Albums available for download so far:
Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest
The Cars by the Cars
Doolittle by the Pixies
Peace Sells...But Who's Buying by Megadeth
Moving Pictures by Rush
Blood Sugar Sex Magick by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dr. Feelgood by Mötley Crüe
The Colour and the Shape by the Foo Fighters
The Singles 1992-2003 by No Doubt
Texas Flood by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble
Ten by Pearl Jam
Chinese Democracy by Guns 'n Roses
Nothing's Shocking by Jane's Addiction
Back from the Dead by Spinal Tap
Backspacer by Pearl Jam
Rust in Peace by Megadeth
Axis: Bold as Love by the Jimi Hendrix Experience
Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt
British Steel 30th Anniversary by Judas Priest
The Great Southern Trendkill by Pantera

PLAYING WITH PA FOLKS
If you're on Xbox LIVE, go ahead and add Rock Band PA as a friend. Then look at that gamertag's friends list and send out messages to people to coordinate a band or you can post in this thread. If you want to find people with DLC, it helps to know what you have and you can go to DLC Quickplay and make your own list (and tag it in your sig like some people). It is generally accepted to play in your difficulty range (i.e. not constantly failing out) and it's cool if you have a headset to be able to talk to people.

IF YOU WANT YOUR HANDLE HERE, PM ME

PSN... tumbleweed...
Forum Handle / PSN Name
midgetspy / Fiddlehumper
Ketar / Ketar
toolbert / toolbert
Junior Yank / junioryank
GarethMagis / garethmagis
dergderg / GorenGhast

Wii Number Insanity
Homestar Gunner 3336-5117-8458
zimfan 0372-9861-1361
MetroidZoid 0759-5314-6010
psych0 0759-5338-3394
Remington 1103-1229-7404
Joe Dizzy 0673-6361-3795

========================

Rock Band 3
October 26, 2010
Xbox 360, PS3, Nintendo Wii, and a DS version
Rb3_box_art.jpg

WHAT'S THIS?
Rock Band 3 will include several new features to the current selection of gameplay modes:
  • Vocal Harmonies - Continuing from Beatles Rock Band and into Green Day Rock Band, these are now a staple allowing up to three people to sing three distinct parts.
  • Keyboards - An actual midi keyboard will be sold that can be worn like a keytar. Two full octaves.
  • Hook Up Your E-Kit/Keyboard - Got an electronic keyboard or an electronic drumkit? A MIDI converter box will be sold after RB3 releases to allow the use of your own real gear!
  • Revamped World Tour Mode - What has been mentioned is that you can go on actual tours through cities and play through setlists rather than just sitting in one area and clearing out setlists.
  • Drop In and Out - Players can jump in or out of songs without interrupting a song already in progress. They can also change instruments or difficulty settings during a song without pausing.
  • Song Filtering - With the new system, "you can say, 'only show me songs in Rock Band 3' or 'only songs under three minutes' or 'Eighties metal songs from my (downloadable) collection,' " Teasdale says. "It's a really cool way to take your full library down to a manageable list of songs." There is also song voting (similar to RBN with the lighters) with higher rated songs showing up in random setlists.
  • Pro Mode - Learn to play songs with actual instruments! Will have it's own difficulty tier and two versions of guitars will be sold, one with 100+ fret buttons and an actual guitar with touch sensors. Drums and Vocals will have Pro Mode but don't require new peripherals. There is bass pro mode but you use either of the two guitars they sell for it.
  • Legacy Content - A large amount of current DLC and playable tracks have had their charts updated for Pro Mode and to integrate keyboard and other new designs. Go to the RB forums and vote for them!
  • Revamped Scoring - The game still grabs your individual instrument score even when playing in a band.

rockband30610x-large.jpg

INSTRUMENTS
Keyboard/Keytar
rb3-keyboard.jpg
  • Fully functional 360 wireless controller (dongle for PS3 and Wii)
  • Has a MIDI out so it can be used with other programs
  • Can be worn as a Keytar

Guitars
rock-band-3-squier-controller.jpg
Rock Band 3 Squier Stratocaster (no price yet)
  • It is an actual guitar with fast sensing technology that reads the frets before you strum
  • For Pro Mode playing

rock-band-3-mustang-controller.jpg
Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller (~$150)
  • It has 102 buttons for the frets
  • It is smaller than the Squire but is essentially the hassle-free option for Pro Mode (i.e. tuning, strings, etc.)

Drums
  • No new drumkit will be released
  • Rock Band 2 kit's "mystery port" will be opened up for a 2nd pedal (2nd bass or hi-hat) that will only function for fills or free play
  • Charting in-game will have new icons for cymbal hits to encourage correct hits in normal mode but is vital in Pro Mode
  • Unfortunately, GH drumkit won't be supported in Pro Mode

MIDI Converter Box
midi-pro-adapter.jpg
  • Allows you to use any keyboard or drumkit with a MIDI out to be used in Rock Band 3.
  • Can be worn on your belt

SONG LIST
2000s
"Killing Lonliness" by HIM
"Oh My God" by Ida Maria
"Me Enamora" by Juanes
"Combat Baby" by Metric
"Lasso" by Phoenix
"Antibodies" by Poni Hoax
"Portions for Foxes" Rilo Kiley
"Before I Forget" by Slipknot
"Dead End Friends" by Them Crooked Vultures
"Humanoid" by Tokio Hotel
"Get Free" by the Vines
"The Hardest Button to Button" by the White Stripes

1990s
"Oye Mi Amor" by Maná
"Been Caught Stealing" by Jane's Addiction
"The Beautiful People" by Marilyn Manson
"Hey Man Nice Shot" by Filter
"Du Hast" by Rammstein
"Walkin' on the Sun" by Smash Mouth
"In the Meantime" by Spacehog
"Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots

1980s
"Just Like Heaven" by the Cure
"Rainbow in the Dark" by Dio
"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears
"Foolin'" by Def Leppard
"Need You Tonight" by INXS
"Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake
"The Power of Love" Huey Lewis and the News
"I Love Rock 'n' Roll" by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
"Sister Christian" by Night Ranger
"Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne
"The Look" by Roxette

1970s
"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
"Get Up, Stand Up" by Bob Marley and the Wailers
"Cold as Ice" by Foreigner
"Low Rider" by War
"Rock Lobster" by the B-52s
"Roundabout" by Yes

1960s
"Break On Through" by The Doors
"Crosstown Traffic" by Jimi Hendrix
"Space Oddity" by David Bowie

========================

The Beatles Rock Band
09/09/09
Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii
The_Beatles_Rock_Band_box_art.jpg
WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Compatibility - Due to restrictions by Apple, on-disc and DLC tracks for the Beatles Rock Band will not be compatible with any other Rock Band game.
  • Harmonies - Two additional people can sing back up vocals. All microphones are tied to one controller allowing for any combination of singers, potentially up to 6 people (3 singers, 3 instruments) can play because of this.
  • Overdrive/Beatlemania! - Due to restrictions by Apple, it seems the freestyle drum fill to activate Overdrive/Beatlemania! on drums no longer exists. Instead, you're given a glowing green gem to hit to activate it minus the drum fill.
  • Effects - Guitar switch effects are disabled in-game. Whammy doesn't always produce a modified noise. Most of this has to do with the lack of split tracks. Opening/Closing drum fills are silenced as well.
  • Unlockable media - Never before seen videos, photos, and other neat goodies relating to the Fab Four.
  • Dreamscapes - While the game follows the Beatles' career at the start, they end up being cooped up in Abbey Road Studios in the later half. In order to present better visuals than just strumming in the studio, Harmonix has gone ahead and created these dreamscapes - imagined cinematics of the song that plays out while you play.
  • Downloadable Albums - Abbey Road has been announced to be the first full album with more full albums to come after the game's release. See below for release dates and albums.
  • New Instruments - Based on the Beatles' own gear:
    • John Lennon’s Rickenbacker 325 guitar
    • Sir Paul McCartney’s trademark Höfner bass
    • George Harrison’s Gretsch Duo Jet guitar
    • Ringo Starr’s drums with classic black oyster pearl finish and Ludwig-branded Beatles kick drum head

Hidden Photos
Unlock some hidden photos that show some bonus Beatles photos along with development artwork and planning by quickly entering this at the start menu:Blue, Yellow, Orange, Orange, Orange, Blue, Blue, Blue, Yellow, Orange.

Tracklist
* I Saw Her Standing There
* Boys
* Do You Want To Know A Secret
* Twist And Shout
* I Wanna Be Your Man
* I Want to Hold Your Hand
* A Hard Day’s Night
* Can’t Buy Me Love
* I Feel Fine
* Eight Days A Week
* Ticket To Ride
* Day Tripper
* Drive My Car
* I’m Looking Through You
* If I Needed Someone
* Paperback Writer
* Taxman
* Yellow Submarine
* And Your Bird Can Sing
* Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band
* With a Little Help from My Friends
* Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
* Getting Better
* Good Morning Good Morning
* I Am The Walrus
* Hello Goodbye
* Revolution
* Back In The U.S.S.R.
* Dear Prudence
* While My Guitar Gently Weeps
* Birthday
* Helter Skelter
* Hey Bulldog
* Don’t Let Me Down
* Come Together
* Something
* Octopus’s Garden
* I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
* Here Comes The Sun
* Dig A Pony
* I Me Mine
* I’ve Got A Feeling
* Get Back
* Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows
* The End

Album DLC
Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg
Abbey Road (1969)
Release Date: October 20, 2009
Pricing: $16.98 (or 1360 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for album
$1.99 (or 160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) for individual tracks

• “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer”
• “Oh! Darling”
• “Because”
• “You Never Give Me Your Money”
• “Sun King”
• “Mean Mr. Mustard”
• “Polythene Pam”
• “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window”
• “Golden Slumbers”
• “Carry That Weight”
• “Her Majesty”

In addition, purchasers of the full album download of Abbey Road will have the option to play the famous 16-minute B-side medley as a single continuous track. The medley includes “You Never Give Me Your Money,” “Sun King,” “Mean Mr. Mustard,” “Polythene Pam,” “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window,” “Golden Slumbers,” “Carry That Weight” and “The End."

Peppers.jpg
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Release Date: November 16th, 2009

• “Fixing A Hole”
• “She’s Leaving Home”
• “Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite”
• “Within You Without You”
• “When I’m Sixty Four”
• “Lovely Rita”
• “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)”
• “A Day In The Life”

RubberSoulUK.jpg
Rubber Soul (1965)
Release Date: December 15th, 2009

• “Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)”
• “You Won’t See Me”
• “Nowhere Man”
• “Think For Yourself”
• “The Word”
• “Michelle”
• “What Goes On”
• “Girl”
• “In My Life”
• “Wait”
• “Run For Your Life”

========================

Lego Rock Band
Available now
Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and DS
Lego_Rock_Band.jpg
WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Exportable - The entire setlist will be exportable to your hard drive (just like Rock Band) for about $10 (PS3 & 360). Requires a code packed in PS3 and Xbox 360 carts.
  • Importable - Some current Rock Band DLC will be playable in Lego Rock Band once it goes through a content filter.
  • Difficulty - The game is targeting the younger crowd and/or families. As such the difficulty curve is set much lower. This includes Super Easy mode.
  • Gameplay - While the music sections maintain the usual Rock Band gameplay, there are Lego specific challenges that have your band create/destroy buildings. You will also collect Lego Bricks to build and customize your avatars and your "rock den."
  • Nintendo DS version - The handheld version for the DS will be quite similar to the PSP's RB Unplugged. You will switch between the four instruments and play with four buttons.
  • No Online multiplayer - Console versions have no online multiplayer. The DS version offers local, cart required multiplayer.
  • Lego-ized Rockers - Iggy Pop, David Bowie, Blur, Spinal Tap, Queen and others appear in the game.

45 Master Tracks
* = song appears on DS version
"A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend*
"Accidentally In Love" by Counting Crows*
"Aliens Exist" by Blink 182
"Breakout" by Foo Fighters
"Check Yes Juliet" by We the Kings*
"Crash" by the Primatives*
"Crocodile Rock" by Elton John
"Dig" by Incubus
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by the Police
"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix
"Free Fallin'" by Tom Petty*
"Dreaming of You" by the Coral
"Grace" by Supergrass*
"Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr.*
"Girls and Boys" by Good Charlotte*
"I Want You Back" by Jackson 5*
"In Too Deep" by Sum 41*
"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas*
"Let's Dance" by David Bowie*
"Life is a Highway" by Rascal Flatts*
"Make Me Smile" by Steve Harly
"Monster" by the Automatic*
"Naïve" by the Kooks
"The Passenger" by Iggy Pop*
"Real Wild Child" by Everlife
"Ride a White Swan" by T. Rex
"Rooftops (A Liberation Broadcast)" by Lostprophets
"Ruby" by Kaiser Chiefs*
"Short & Sweet" by Spinal Tap
"So What" by P!nk*
"Song 2" by Blur
"Stumble and Fall" by Razorlight
"Suddenly I See" by KT Tunstall*
"Summer of 69" by Brian Adams
"Swing, Swing" by the All-American Rejects*
"The Final Countdown" by Europe*
"Thunder" by Boys Like Girls
"Tick Tick Boom" by the Hives
"Two Princes" by Spin Doctors*
"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves*
"We Are The Champions" by Queen*
"We Will Rock You" by Queen*
"Word Up!" by Korn
"You Give Love a Bad Name" by Bon Jovi

========================

Rock Band Network
Available now on LIVE
Xbox 360 - All features
PS3 & Wii - Limited DLC from RBN after it goes on LIVE, PS3 might get the full RBN later on

Rock-band-network-logo.jpg
WHAT'S THIS?
WikiPedia wrote:
The Rock Band Network is a system designed by Harmonix Music Systems with the help of Microsoft to allow musical artists and record labels to make their music available as playable tracks for the Rock Band series of rhythm video games. The Network was designed to allow more music to be incorporated into Rock Band than Harmonix themselves could produce, and it is seen as a way to further expand the games' music catalog into a wide variety of genres. The Network is set to start beta testing in September 2009, with it becoming publicly available to all Xbox 360 players in November; Harmonix hopes to be able to also bring these songs to the PlayStation 3 and Wii consoles.

The Rock Band Network is based on the XNA Creators Club model and uses peer review to check songs for playability, copyright violations, and profanity. Harmonix has developed a suite of software tools, including a modified version of REAPER, a digital audio sound tool, and Magma, a metadata packaging tool, for use by artists and labels. In addition, Harmonix has helped to spawn the creation of several third-party companies, based on the previous hacking environment for the creation of custom songs, that will author an artist's song into a Rock Band track. Artists retain full control on their songs, and receive 30% of the sales from the Network. Several artists and labels have already committed to expanding the distribution of their music through the network.

WHAT BANDS ARE DOING THIS?
This obviously gives smaller, indie bands a venue for some cash. There is a list up on the Rock Band forums of bands and labels who may be putting songs up on the Rock Band Network. Expect to see more from Harmonix bands, Johnathan Coulton, and plenty of Indie bands.

I HAVE A BAND!
Great! Have a look at the process and tool you will need over on the RBN page.

HOW DO I USE THIS NOW THAT IT IS LIVE?
As long as you have an Xbox 360, Rock Band 2, and LIVE, the Rock Band Network Store should be under the Music Store after you press start on the opening screen. From there you can preview all the songs, download demos, and buy songs. The demo is basically 30 seconds from the beginning of the song where you can play for free. If you pause the song in there, you can purchase it. Songs purchased from the RBN will show up as their own category in song selection with a tiny RBN logo. RBN tracks can't be played in Tour Challenge mode or via mystery setlists.

I HAVE A PS3/WII AND I CAN'T GET THIS!?
Hold on there. Let's get this out of the way before you start getting the wrong idea. The reason why the RBN is focused on the 360 side is because the tools for developing it were there. LIVE has XNA which allowed for this to happen. Using this service in order to create DLC, having a pricing/royalty setup already, and being allowed to go through the steps to post things on the marketplace thanks to Microsoft allowing Harmonix to self-police RBN content means that everything will run smooth. Neither Nintendo nor Sony allow for such a thing, for the time being. As such, Harmonix will select the top tracks from the RBN and bring them over to the other systems. There have been talks that Harmonix was looking to set up RBN on the PSN if at least to have the DLC available but nothing concrete on either side has been mentioned.

LIST OF RBN SONGS

Here's the WikiPedia list.

========================

Green Day Rock Band
June 8th, 2010
Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii
Green_Day_Rock_Band.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N43SZIbcfvc

WHAT'S THIS?
Basically a game covering lots of Green Day and nothing else. A bit similar to Beatles Rock Band but the amount of polish is yet to be seen. So far the only things we've been shown is that "American Idiot" is playable, it is compatible with all Green Day DLC on the Rock Band Music Store, and that it will have loads of Green Day tracks.

WHAT'S IN IT?
  • Tracklist - Currently, 47 on-disc songs have been promised (if you count Brain Stew/Jaded as two). This is not including any current/future Green Day DLC which will be compatible with this game.
  • Vocal Harmonies - This has been carried over from the Beatles Rock Band to allow multiple vocalists for some tracks.
  • Fully Exportable - It has been confirmed that this game will be fully exportable to allow its tracks to be played on Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and some tracks for Lego Rock Band, of course with a small fee. Pre-ordering at Gamestop will waive this fee via a code.

SOUNDTRACK
These are the songs that have been confirmed:

Dookie
"Basket Case"
"Coming Clean"
"Chump"
"Burnout"
"Emenius Sleepus"
"F.O.D."
"Having a Blast"
"In The End"
"Longview"
"Pulling Teeth"
"Sassafrass Roots"
"She"
"Welcome to Paradise"
"When I Come Around"

Insomniac
"Brain Stew/Jaded"
"Geek Stink Breath"

Nimrod
"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"
"Hitchin' a Ride"
"Nice Guys Finish Last"

Warning
"Minority"
"Warning"

American Idiot
"American Idiot"
"Are We the Waiting"
"Boulevard of Broken Dreams"
"Extraordinary Girl"
"Give Me Novacaine"
"Holiday"
"Homecoming"
"Jesus of Suburbia"
"Letterbomb"
"She's a Rebel"
"St. Jimmy"
"Wake Me Up When September Ends"
"Whatsername"

21st Century Breakdown
"21st Century Breakdown"
"American Eulogy"
"Before the Lobotomy"
"Horseshoes and Handgrenades"
"Last Night on Earth"
"Murder City"
"Peacemaker"
"Restless Heart Syndrome"
"See the Light"
"Song of the Century"
"The Static Age"
"¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)"

========================

Other Rock Band Games

Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP - Gameplay is similar to Frequency/Amplitude. Has it's own DLC.
Rock Band for the iPhone - Similar to the PSP but can also allow 4-way multiplayer. Also has its own DLC.

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
Arikado on

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought the folks at RB Forums (and Scorehero) hated everything, up to and including the particular shade of blue chosen for the box art.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I want my

I want my

I want my Rock Band 3

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is true. I believe Santa is working on a thesis regarding the hive mind of the RB forums.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So they've mentioned being able to buy the new cymbals separately, but what about a second pedal? I have one from my Rock Band 1 kit, but what if one breaks, or if someone only has 1?

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You can already buy standalone pedals.

See here.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I did not know that. I thought there was only the crappy one or the expensive ones. Awesome.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Reading rumors that the real guitar won't be ready for RB3 launch. Boo. Guess I will be focusing on drums first.

corin7 on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was hoping there would be a nice bundle for RB3 that included updated drums, since I'm still running on RB drums 1.0. Kind of sad to hear the only bundle is going to be game + keyboard (which is also crazy expensive).

My plan now is to buy a new set of drums with cymbals, keep using my Rickenbacker for normal guitar, and then later on decide if I want the pro guitar or spring for the real guitar controller. I'd like the keyboard peripheral, but $80 is just so much more than I'm wanting to spend.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My drums and guitars are in good shape. I'll be grabbing the keytar pack and maybe the new cymbal pack when it come out.

Arikado on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really can't recommend the Ions enough omeks. You should really just look for a deal on those. So much better than the standard drums.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    corin7 wrote: »
    I really can't recommend the Ions enough omeks. You should really just look for a deal on those. So much better than the standard drums.

I probably would have bought the ION kit long ago if it weren't for the fact that I have pretty limited space. As it is, the RB drums pack up nicely and fit on the top shelf of my closet, but the ION doesn't really pack up and I don't have the room to store a large drum kit in my room on a permanent basis.

Whenever I finally buy my own home, IONs will probably be one of my first purchases.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been meaning to buy an electric drum kit for a while. Since you can hook an electric kit up to work with RB3, I may finally get around to it.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have never been so tempted to bother to try and learn an instrument, honestly. The Squier looks so delicious if it works well.

Though, I wonder if after this we might see someone bring out XBL/PSN instrument teachers? Like something designed to hook up to a full keyboard and teach you how to play. Something that isn't marred by Rock Band's need to be a game and make things harder than they are in real life.

I would totally be into learning piano on my PS3.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Video of the ENTIRE Rock Band 3 E3 Demo. shows the first look at what appears to be the intro to the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzUFjH1_AOU&feature=player_embedded#!

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Has it been mentioned before that Rock Band 3 will have song ratings? This is from the e3 demo:

-You can rate each song after you have played it
    -Ratings go from 1 to 5 "lighters"
    -These ratings will impact how often a song comes up in random play

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I have never been so tempted to bother to try and learn an instrument, honestly. The Squier looks so delicious if it works well.

Yeah. Though... it's kinda odd that they can't seem to find anyone at Harmonix that can play Pro mode well. Pretty much every video of Pro mode, especially Expert, has the person playing missing stuff left and right. I'll be very interested in reviews of the Squier contra the MadCatz MIDI guitar.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    David_T wrote: »

Yeah. Though... it's kinda odd that they can't seem to find anyone at Harmonix that can play Pro mode well. Pretty much every video of Pro mode, especially Expert, has the person playing missing stuff left and right. I'll be very interested in reviews of the Squier contra the MadCatz MIDI guitar.

I haven't seen much, but I'm sure some of that stuff is really hard to play without a lot of practice. So I guess it would depend on what you're talking about specifically. The rhythm portion of a punk song? Shouldn't be difficult. A solo in a Mercyful Fate song? That's a whole other realm of difficult.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I haven't seen much, but I'm sure some of that stuff is really hard to play without a lot of practice. So I guess it would depend on what you're talking about specifically. The rhythm portion of a punk song? Shouldn't be difficult. A solo in a Mercyful Fate song? That's a whole other realm of difficult.

Not to mention I'm sure that most pro musicians would be hard-pressed to recreate the studio versions of their songs absolutely note for note, with ZERO variation, in a live performance.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mantis23 wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned before that Rock Band 3 will have song ratings? This is from the e3 demo:

-You can rate each song after you have played it
    -Ratings go from 1 to 5 "lighters"
    -These ratings will impact how often a song comes up in random play

That's gonna be an awesome feature to have. I wonder if it will tie back into DLC that they'll produce.

toolbert on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As someone who is ridiculously obsessive-compulsive about his iTunes having every song have some kind of rating (not to mention having album art, proper song listing, having MP3's ripped to the highest bit rate), the rating feature excites me greatly.

I also wonder if the keyboard we got my dad years ago is MIDI...

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »

Not to mention I'm sure that most pro musicians would be hard-pressed to recreate the studio versions of their songs absolutely note for note, with ZERO variation, in a live performance.

I'm not "pro" pro, but I've been playing for 15 years and you are right sir. Trying to see chord names on that highway looked kind of hard to make out, but we'll see further on in development, the video conditions weren't exactly as clear as they could be.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think pro mode is going to make sight reading harder, but I think it's going to force you to actually learn the song, so you'll know if a C chord is coming up or whatever. I think it's kinda cool. Actually learning the songs was something I had thought about in the previous games, but learning the colors didn't really work. If you stick with pro mode, the scrolling will only be to keep your rhythm and the occasional reference.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So uh

I went on PSN last night and the Ozzy tracks weren't up yet

Not that I was going to buy them, but I wonder what gives?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Probably a delay due to E3...wasn't there a delay last year?

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    excited for this game. Also, I was dumb and brought a set of E-drums a while ago so I'm super psyched for the midi converter.

belligerent on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    This is true. I believe Santa is working on a thesis regarding the hive mind of the RB forums.

Not really a thesis. More like a living theorem. One that extends from the base thought that 'nothing is ever good enough'. I don't even check the B:RB sub-forum anymore.

By the way, I don't know if this came up in the last thread (I only skimmed the last few pages), but the final Miley Cyrus song is Start All Over.

And I dove back into that thread I linked in the last RB thread. I didn't have to go very far to find this pearl:
    Bloody hell, theyve really given up with the DLC have they not - for months now its been bad choices of bands getting packs or decent well recieved bands getting packs and albums but terrible choices.

I used to be all for anyone and everyone getting a crack at being RB DLC but since RBN i find myself more and more disgusted at how much ive grown to hate weekly announcements... from what the last couple of months i only hold Ozzy and Grateful Dead in high regard (they gave us a ****ty version of British Steel so i cant even be content with Judas Priest getting another album).

I actually dont think ill even bother with Rock Band 3 now - i play Rock Band 2 only once a month now... whats the point of getting the latest update if they are single handedly removing my will to make an effort if they aint. Cant say im excited about another Country track pack either - far from it... ive always found the country songs to be for the best part fun in the game but take out three of the country songs released on the entire platform ive never heard of any of them - why would i? its not like its a thriving genre over in Scotland.

How about some decent British DLC thats a bit different (we have more than just metal bands you know HMX)... what happened to the stellar peak when i was seeing everyone from Snow Patrol to Franz Ferdinand to Gorrilaz coming as DLC. Miley Cyrus is some sprog of yet another country artist - you know what that means, another five bloody songs ive never heard of from an artist ive only heard of because she has a famous old man (ala Kelly Osbourne all over again)

He's one of the resident metalheads, for what that's worth. Oh, and he has a signature...
    X, Spoon and Miley Cyrus... finally HMX have given us the three most demanded bands ever for DLC - sure beats Rolling Stones, Muse and Guns N Roses

Entitlement Fail

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    I'm not "pro" pro, but I've been playing for 15 years and you are right sir. Trying to see chord names on that highway looked kind of hard to make out, but we'll see further on in development, the video conditions weren't exactly as clear as they could be.

This. Even someone who can play a song amazingly well every time on a real guitar would likely have difficulty playing exactly on for every note.
    Entitlement Fail
    Yeah, some people are way too entitled, but there are always going to be some people like that. It's best to just ignore them.
    It's not just metalheads either. I think it would be safe to say that there were probably indie rock fans who had that kind of reaction when Moving Pictures was announced as DLC, for example.

There will always be someone out there who thinks that it should be completely tailored to their specific tastes, and that anything else is a terrible decision worth rioting over. It's best to not bother wasting energy even listening to them. People like you and I understand that Harmonix is naturally going to provide a variety of music, to appeal to a wide array of tastes. Those who don't understand that never will.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The idea of having weekly DLC in any other game is lost to those people.

Arikado on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question. My keyboard has a usb-midi out, not a regular midi out. Will that work with the midi adapter thing?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    500x_e3-129.jpg

Don't know. Maybe? Are there USB -> MIDI converters?

Arikado on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm in the same situation, SniperGuy. I don't believe there's a USB interface, so I'm looking around to see if there's a cheap converter.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, some people are way too entitled, but there are always going to be some people like that. It's best to just ignore them.
    It's not just metalheads either. I think it would be safe to say that there were probably indie rock fans who had that kind of reaction when Moving Pictures was announced as DLC, for example.

Just to be clear, I wasn't specifically calling out metal fans. I was merely pointing it out since Over There, they've got a particular breed. Most hate on anything that isn't quote-unquote rock. But the metal fans over there are particularly aggressive in their dislike.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    npreecsnpreecs Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait...did someone mention double kick pedals? Is this a thing? I love how realistic the game is getting (I'm going to learn to play keyboard!) and thought they missed a step by either not including another pedal for open-closed hi-hat or for double-kick, perhaps, depending on the song. Is this a real thing? I hadn't heard.

Also, my midi drum set says "high there, converter." So excited for RB3.

And if it's feasible, I would totally get a midi guitar and just start working on getting good at that. After all: why not. The many-buttoned monstrosity they've shown seems intriguing.

npreecs on
    Xbox Live: Spunkrake -- Looking to build a friend list!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No songs will be charted for double-kick. (At least not without some kind of toggle setting since all songs must be playable on stock kits.)

However, you can already use two pedals for kick right now and RB3 (I think only via Pro Mode) will support the second pedal as either a kick or a hi-hat.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They've said that the spare port on the back of the RB2 kit would be recognized in RB3, and serve as a second kick or hi-hat. However, it doesn't sound like pro mode will chart for these things, so the only gameplay impact will be another way to approach the existing fast kick parts. They specifically said "during fills" for the hat, sadly; I think that's a vital piece of the puzzle missing from pro drum mode.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I hadn't heard all of that. But then, I'm not a 'drummer' so I'm not paying that kind of attention. As it is, I'm only barely concerned about what they're doing with the guitar.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Just to be clear, I wasn't specifically calling out metal fans. I was merely pointing it out since Over There, they've got a particular breed. Most hate on anything that isn't quote-unquote rock. But the metal fans over there are particularly aggressive in their dislike.

Oh, I know. Don't worry about it. I was mainly just expanding on the point.
    Plus, I have definitely seen metalheads who do act like that. It's pretty annoying, especially because they tend to make all metal fans look bad.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm updating the OP with more info at the moment. Mostly from that plasticaxe interview and what was explained in those USA Today stories.

Arikado on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OK, I'm dying to get my hands on Rock Band Pro for guitar. It occurrs to me that I took to drums with such passion -- spending nearly $1000 on a game drum kit for example -- because it is the only "realistic" instrument in the game, and that feeds into some sort of misguided "I could really be a musician!" fantasy that will never come true.

Plus, a guitar on a guitar stand will take up SO MUCH LESS floor space than my Ion kit, three pedals (hi hat, kick, slave kick), kickboxes, and cymbals.

So I have some questions for people who understand the process of playing real guitar, and learning real guitar:

1) What are the various skills you have to learn? Ideally is there a document or page you can link me to where I can RTFM? I don't want a document that'll try to teach me the skills, I just want to understand the shape of the things I don't yet know.

2) Of these various skills you have to learn, how many feel like they can be greatly improved by the tighter feedback loop a game can offer? For example, getting practice fretting chords: if you can see visually on-screen that your fingers are in the wrong place before you strum, you can adjust two or three times before the note arrives. The way I imagine traditional learning, you wouldn't notice the problem until after you strummed.

3) It doesn't seem like RB Pro will teach you to read sheet music. Is that a huge handicap? Is that an easy skill to pick up outside of the game? If it's true that even expert guitarists never just sight-read a piece of music, you practice in pieces and memorize and THEN perform . . . then reading sheet music is a skill you can take your time learning, not one where you'll regret not reading sheet music from day 1. Right?

4) 102-fret-button guitar versus Strat. If I get the Strat, how much finger pain am I really in for? I know if you don't press hard enough on the frets you mute the strings and don't get much sound. And I know from attempting to teach myself guitar, and failing, as a 10 year old, that my 10 year old fingers had to press down pretty hard to alter the resonance of a string. How hard is it for adult hands?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Nah the gauge on the squier strings should be pretty narrow. Gotta build up them callouses either way

BlindPsychic on
This discussion has been closed.