As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Sarlacc announced as latest playable race!

1575859606163»

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think the real thing is to ask is:

What can we do to get our hands on BETA invites or improve our odds?

Never tell me the odds.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Any word on how the companion will play? I tend to not like pet classes much, and if it's going to be AI controlled it needs to not suck.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Arkady wrote: »
    Any word on how the companion will play? I tend to not like pet classes much, and if it's going to be AI controlled it needs to not suck.

Hasn't been much talk of that, other than apparently it's good enough to truly fill a missing gap in your party. If you've got 2 Imperial Agent friends and 2 Sith Warrior friends, you can all bring healing companions and be fine in an instance, so the Bioware rep said.

Melkster on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »

Hasn't been much talk of that, other than apparently it's good enough to truly fill a missing gap in your party. If you've got 2 Imperial Agent friends and 2 Sith Warrior friends, you can all bring healing companions and be fine in an instance, so the Bioware rep said.

If that ends up true that will be pretty impressive.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    legionofonelegionofone __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if there's going to be a storyline romance with one of your companions, ala just about every other bioware game out there.

Which has some interesting possibilities behind it, as far as what they could do with it.

legionofone on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if there's going to be a storyline romance with one of your companions, ala just about every other bioware game out there.

Which has some interesting possibilities behind it, as far as what they could do with it.

About a month ago they talked about companions and they said some of them can be romantic options. Some of them can also become your enemy, depending on how you play out your story.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Only the droids.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

About a month ago they talked about companions and they said some of them can be romantic options. Some of them can also become your enemy, depending on how you play out your story.

I'd be nice if they included male gay romances. They were ballsy enough to do it in Dragon Age, but didn't do it in either of the Mass Effect games, sadly. I wonder if Austin studio will go for it.

I'd be okay with my Smuggler tempting a certain Jedi Knight to stray from his vows. :winky:

Melkster on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    But I should warn you that I'm not real. Just an iPad that gained sentience.

qc-fullofmusic-pic.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I'd be nice if they included male gay romances. They were ballsy enough to do it in Dragon Age, but didn't do it in either of the Mass Effect games, sadly. I wonder if Austin studio will go for it.

I'd be okay with my Smuggler tempting a certain Jedi Knight to stray from his vows. :winky:

You think Lucas Arts would go for a gay romance? I don't really know why, but they don't strike me as the type to allow risks that big.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You think Lucas Arts would go for a gay romance? I don't really know why, but they don't strike me as the type to allow risks that big.

We talked about this in the last TOR thread and there is a gay Mandalorian couple with an adopted daughter.

Magic Radio on
  • Options
    Agent CooperAgent Cooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No, Lucasarts will not permit that.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I kinda got petered out on this since the release was so far of, and then I watched the Hope cinematic... gah sometimes Bioware I swear you do these things and release these videos to draw my attention to your awesomeness again.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For every gay male relationship they have I would like to see two lipstick lesbian couple options. Not because I'm anti gay, I'd just have more fun watching all the women on my ship making out. I can see the slogans now. Play ToR, you can have orgies in this galaxy.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Smuggler skill.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    More specifically, Lando skill.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm not sure how big a role Lucas Arts has in the development of the game.

Also, I wonder if it would constitute a significant risk. Yeah, half of the U.S. categorically disapproves of gay relationships from a morality perspective, but (1) the demographic that this game appeals to is more likely to be accepting of homosexuality than any other demographic and (2) if you don't want to pursue a gay romance, you don't have to.

I suppose the only real issue for them is economic: is it worth the development time? At least, that was their justification for not including it in ME2 - they said that since such a tiny portion of the population would get anything out of that content, it wasn't worth putting in.

I wonder if there's any real weight to that argument. Do straight people experience gay content? I know as a gay man I experience some of the "straight" content in games, every now and then, just for fun. I wonder if it goes both ways.

Melkster on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I wonder if it goes both ways.

:winky:

I've done lesbian romance options, but never male gay romance options. Probably indicative of the majority of straight males there.

NerfThatMan on
    PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lucasarts has to clear everything that goes into the game. It's not any different than any other licensed brand out there.

Agent Cooper on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My Dragon Age warrior dude was made a man by Zevran.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I'm not sure how big a role Lucas Arts has in the development of the game.

Also, I wonder if it would constitute a significant risk. Yeah, half of the U.S. categorically disapproves of gay relationships from a morality perspective, but (1) the demographic that this game appeals to is more likely to be accepting of homosexuality than any other demographic and (2) if you don't want to pursue a gay romance, you don't have to.

I suppose the only real issue for them is economic: is it worth the development time? At least, that was their justification for not including it in ME2 - they said that since such a tiny portion of the population would get anything out of that content, it wasn't worth putting in.

I wonder if there's any real weight to that argument. Do straight people experience gay content? I know as a gay man I experience some of the "straight" content in games, every now and then, just for fun. I wonder if it goes both ways.

I have to disagree with you on points 1 and 2. To say the people buying MMOs and SW MMOs aren't full of silly geese that throw bad words around and are more inclined to be accepting of the gay lifestyle without any numbers to back it up is a tough call. But I'll give you, that it's usually not allowed to harass people in these games without being banned etc so you don't really see it. Second, the you don't have to if you don't want to is true except for you to know an option they have to heavily imply it at some point. I played Dragon Age and was a little put off by the gay character, just seemed to come on strong. When my answer was basically, "I'm cool, but thanks" I get negative reaction points with him. Felt like that if I wanted to pursue this character at all it would have to be through a relationship. I guess in Video Games the Just Friends option doesn't work out either.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have to disagree with you on points 1 and 2. To say the people buying MMOs and SW MMOs aren't full of silly geese that throw bad words around and are more inclined to be accepting of the gay lifestyle without any numbers to back it up is a tough call.

I'm assuming the game is trying to reach the young adult male demographic, and they have the highest approval of homosexuality right now, according to Gallup.

Here's the numbers to back that up.

cmgekfr6y0ef3h4efaljog.gif

Source

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wow, very nice. I'm suprised but then realized that adult game men make up the whole of the gay male demographic. But I'm just being a smartass. And you being gay, might notice any anti gay comments in these settings where I might not. If you say that you've never been offended then I believe you. I'm just thinking of times I've seen the words and played with imature players. I'm all for gay relationships in games.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That's kind of depressing that the highest number is 62%

What the hell, Americans?

815165 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    If there are no objections, I'm putting the finishing touches on a new thread and OP.

Melkster on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If there are no objections, I'm putting the finishing touches on a new thread and OP.

Probably a good idea.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
This discussion has been closed.