As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

white pigment in finger nails

blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I was looking at my thumbs today and just noticed a half val of white forming under the nail. It's only on my thumbs and bigger on the left one, is this like too much calcium or something? Should I be worried, I know some bad things can show signs like this.

blue powder on

• Options
    Ain't No SunshineAin't No Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I was looking at my thumbs today and just noticed a half val of white forming under the nail. It's only on my thumbs and bigger on the left one, is this like too much calcium or something? Should I be worried, I know some bad things can show signs like this.

Don't be worried.

Ain't No Sunshine on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    nothing to worry about, but they're more common if you're a little lacking in calcium, IIRC. Do you take a multivitamin?

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZsetrekZsetrek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Can't they also be caused by trauma to the nail-bed (ie, slamming your finger in the door)?

Zsetrek on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    yup. although not always, you can just as easily get a good old blood blister from that. Most nail deformities (ridges, dents, marks) are indicative of a mineral deficiency as far as I know. The wiki page is interesting, if lacking in specificity.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Don't be worried.

He's a doctor.
    Though he can't diagnose you over the internets. :rotate:

But yeah... just white pigment? Meh. It is normal for nails to grow faster on one hand as well.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    Ain't No SunshineAin't No Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cimmerii wrote: »

Don't be worried.

He's a doctor.
    Though he can't diagnose you over the internets.
    :rotate:

But yeah... just white pigment? Meh. It is normal for nails to grow faster on one hand as well.

Limed for ad nauseam. Really, though, there's a protocol to be had about what I can say 'on the record' and 'off the record' and how that reflects on me if someone were to, say, come to H/A, hear from me, have something bad happen to them, and blame the bad doctor on the webcomic forum.

To give some more detailed information, white or clear spots in the nails correlate poorly to actual physical states or diagnoses. It can be a slight separation of the nail from the nail bed as a function of growth or slight trauma (asymptomatic); a mark of an anemia (presenting with fatigue, general paleness, clear sclera); a temporary lack of calcium as mentioned above (asymptomatic), as well as a few others. I checked out the mentioned wiki, and it seems thorough, if a bit...serious.

Without other symptoms, nobody should worry about this.

Ain't No Sunshine on