As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 4e PbP] The Gladiators TA - Looking for players!!!! (again)

ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
UPDATED 08/19/2010

THREE of my players for The Gladiators have gone MIA. So we're down to 3 players and need to fill the spots. Here's the OP from the thread, to give you an idea of the game. If you're interested, just roll up a character and post it in this thread. I've posted the MIA characters below so you know what races/classes went missing, and below that in the OP are the three remaining characters. Preferably I'd like to have some complimentary races/classes added in.

Thanks!

MIA Characters:
Erevan - Eladrin Wizard
Rubjo - Goblin Warlord
Canderus - Minotaur Barbarian

OPTitle.jpg

Welcome, Gladiators!
Hippofant - Odunn - Human Seeker
Tzeentchling - Dakketh Mulbari - Githzerai Monk
PepiPopa - Sickle(51ckle) - Warforged Warden

Thread Rules:
In-Character Posts: Any spoken lines by your character should be in italics. Everything else your character does should be in standard text, and you may use color, bold, underline, whatever for fun/emphasis.

Out-of-Character Posts: Anything out of character, please put behind
spoiler tags.
This keeps it a bit easier to read and I know what you are doing and what you may be planning to do or whatever else is said out of character.

Rolls/Actions: Links to rolls, which attacks you use, etc should be placed in spoilers after you state your actions.

Example post:
Thrynyysy swings her rapiers at the human bandit that just cut her shoulder. He ducks her first strike, but the second blade cuts into his neck, causing him to bleed profusely. You will die here today, vile scum!
Twin Strike - 1d20+4-1=9 MISS
1d20+4-3=19 HIT
1d8+4=11 DMG
These guys are so easy, and I love twin strike for when I miss.

Campaign Rules:
We're using standard 4E rules. Depending on your character race/class, I may need you to type out/link a description of whatever power you are using. I've managed to borrow some of the other books from a friend, so I have PHB1-3 to look up stuff. I haven't read up though on all the new powers and classes.

This is going to be a lot of battles, as you are gladiators, but there will be times where you can plan, talk, and do things other than fight. As there are a lot of battles, and as I am impatient, experience is going to flow pretty easily and your characters will level up faster than normal.

We are playing by posting, which just means we are using these forums and anytime you need to do something you post it here. In character and out of character posts will be in the same thread, just spoiler the out of character stuff, please.

I expect everyone to post around once a day. I'm running EST, so I'll be running days according to my clock, but I'll be lenient and fair for other time zones. If you miss a day and it is your turn, your character will be readied and we'll move on to the next in initiative. Whenever you post you will be moved to that spot in the initiative and will have to deal with whatever happened during your absence. ie: Tuesday morning when I get online at 8:30AM EST, it's your turn in combat. If you do not post by 8:30AM EST on Wednesday, your character is considered "readied" and we'll move on. So essentially, once it's your turn, you have about 24 hours to get a post up. It may be more than 24 hours depending on when I can log in. Weekends you are free to continue, but I won't require it. If you need to be away for a long period of time, let me know and we will work around it.
The Story:
You wake up in chains and on a cold, damp stone floor. It is very dim with only a little light provided by the torches on the wall. You see there are others around you as well as a few corpses. A bent, old man approaches you. You see he is beaten, bruised, and has only a few teeth remaining and many scars across his face and arms. He walks with a limp from what was probably a broken leg that never healed properly.

Ahh, good, you are awake! Today is going to be a GREAT day you see. The king wants to see a fight, and a fight the king will see. I am Gulleam and I will help you prepare for the battle ahead of you. I hope you have some strength left after they beat you and brought you here, or else you won't please the king. And trust me, you will want to please the king. There is not much time, get up, get up! Let's get you in some armor and a sword in your hand. Once the doors open, you will not return until the creature is slain. If you can slay it, that is... hehehehe

He laughs and snorts as he glances over to the corpses in the room. He unlocks your chains and offers a hand to pull you to your feet. Despite appearing bent and broken, your weight does not make him falter as he pulls you up. You feel there is a lot of strength hidden in his frame.

Let's go, pick what you want and prepare, Gladiator!

You pick your equipment from the selection of items in a pile in the corner, picking through the bloodied and tattered items, trying to find the better selections and finally you are satisfied with what you have. Looking around, you notice that Gulleam is letting others out of their chains and they are preparing for battle as well.

Quickly, quickly! Gulleam shouts, we do not have very long. When the horns blast, the doors will open and you are going to battle, ready or not!

Everyone manages to find the equipment that fits and is to their liking, and an air of unease can be felt throughout the room. You are unsure if you are going to be fighting the person next to you, or someone, or something, else.

The horns sound, and you hear the heavy doors at the end of the room scraping open as sunlight begins to pour into the chamber. You hear the whistling wind and feel a breeze of fresh air flowing in and are almost deafened by the roar of a huge crowd.

Out, out! To the center of the arena! Face the king and heed his command! Please him, fight well, win the crowd, and perhaps you will earn your freedom! Gulleam urges you forward and into the sun.

As you emerge into the arena, you see multitudes of people sitting around the huge arena, with a large ornate section with a covering where the king must be sitting. As you look around, you notice a shimmering effect like looking through the air above a fire in front of the crowds, and especially in front of the king's section. As you approach the center of the arena, a thunderous voice is heard as though it is coming from the arena itself.

Gather, and face the king! You are now gladiators, and you will fight to the death whatever we set before you. Please the king, stay alive, and perhaps you may win your freedom! Now, let the fight, BEGIN!!!!!

As soon as the announcer finishes speaking, the large doors open in the rear of the arena and a group of kobolds rush out towards you.

Roll Initiative!

Map:
GladiatorArenaTA.jpg
Let me know if it's too hard to read the squares and I'll put solid lines in for the grid.

Initiative:
KMinion1 - AC 15 - F 11 - R 13 - W 11
KM2 - AC 15 - F 11 - R 13 - W 11
KM3 - AC 15 - F 11 - R 13 - W 11
KM4 - AC 15 - F 11 - R 13 - W 11
KR(Slinger)1 - HP 24/24 - AC 13 - F 12 - R 14 - W 12
KR2 - HP 24/24 - AC 13 - F 12 - R 14 - W 12
KSkirmisher1 - HP 27/27 - AC 15 - F 11 - R 14 - W 13
KDragonshield1 - HP 36/36 - AC 18 - F 14 - R 13 - W 13
Generally, I'll be grouping all the enemies together at the end of the initiative order just to make things easier on the posts.

Also, as you are slaves, you have no money. So whatever money you have left over from character creation is gone.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
ArcSyn on

• RabidredneckRabidredneck Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    would a human paladin work you? I've got the players guide and martial power 1, never had a chance to play 4ed yet.

Rabidredneck on
    Meanwhile, on the other side of town, our hero; cleverly disguised as a hard-boiled egg...
  • SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're interested, I'd like to play a pretty stereotypical Dwarven Fighter.

Looks like your group REALLY needs a solid defender who can take some hits, based on their healing capacity.

If you want, I can have a build up by the end of the day.

Snowdown on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thanks guys, a paladin or fighter would work fine.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a character to submit. Tough as nails halfling fighter. To describe him briefly, he's a bastard and a killer and cares very little what anyone else has to say about it.

deBaron has a short memory, and a huge problem with object permanence. His temper runs hot, and he is prone to fits of irrational violence at times, but isn't likely to remember the asshole he beat bloody last night for making a short joke.

He is the way he is largely due to a combination of self-loathing and a strong desire to forget his former life. He's been betrayed in the worst way by the woman he called wife and man he called friend, so now he's out solely for himself. If he's got to hurt somebody to get what he wants... well, that somebody should have gotten out of his way or been strong enough to kill him.

Visually, he's battle-scarred halfling with a clean shaven head, and the scraggly shadow of a beard (unusual among halflings, who almost never have much facial hair). In halfling terms, he's a giant and muscled like an ox. To the larger folk, he probably looks just as short as any other halfling.

I'll get a character sheet up later (level 2, right?).

immortal squish on
    <3
    edited June 2010
    Here is a link to the character.

What program do you use for dice rolls?

The only thing remaining is to pick equipment for him.
    (not sure what you'd want him to start out with...complete mundane, or what)

Kilain Brighthammer

And a short history

Snowdown on
    edited June 2010
    Oh, right, some details:
    Start at level 2, and you have 1,000gp to purchase your equipment. Magic items are fine and you can select from any book or Dragon or Dungeon, but if you go outside the books, please copy the text for me as I don't have a subscription to Dragon or Dungeon.

I have a mix of people using Invisible Castle/Mythweavers and Orokos. Either is fine.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2010
    Okay, Kilain is pretty much done. I have 110 gold, I might spend.

And of course, after lunch, I'll write his brief history up.

Snowdown on
    edited June 2010
    I'll start writing up the paladin, should have him posted later.

Rabidredneck on
    Meanwhile, on the other side of town, our hero; cleverly disguised as a hard-boiled egg...
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Zomg, can I submit a defender too? :P

hippofant on
    edited June 2010
    hippofant wrote: »
    Zomg, can I submit a defender too? :P

Sorry, I have a strict 1 character per person per game rule. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2010
    Okay, here he is!

Kilain Brighthammer, Fighter 2 of Kord

Picture:

Kilain was born 23 years ago, the only sun of a prodigous smith of clan Brighthammer.

Clan Brighthammer is a tight knit clan of Dwarves known for their excellent smithing who trade with the world near their ancestral home.

Kilain never inherited his father's skill at the forge. He was downright terrible at it. In fact, Kilain's skill lay not with metal, but with flesh. To be more specific, into turning it into a fine pulp by way of his hammer, fists, or whatever other implement he held at the time.

Instead of the forge, Kilain reveled in his guard duty. He looked forward to every chance to test his mettle and show his strength. "Cracking Skulls" as he would say was his favorite past time, only slightly above brewing and drinking Dwarven Ale.

With his lack of an artisan skill (and proficiency with a martial one) Kilain felt much more of a connection to the god Kord than Moradin, a fact that would likely have gotten him ostracised from most of the clan if he had not kept it a secret. As a matter of fact, Kilain feared that it was his worship of Kord that may have caused his lack of skill at the forge.

Whatever the reason, it didn't stop many members of his clan from gifting him with small trinkets that they all hoped would bring him favor with the AllFather, Moradin. He has many small metal trinkets, from holy symbols, hammers, axes, miniature skulls, etc attached to his chainmail and braided throughout his beard.

Kilain is a rough looking, stocky Dwarf nearly as wide as he is tall. He is heavily muscled with a rotund belly and Fiery Red hair. His beard is long, partially wild and partially braided, with many trinkets tipping the end of each braid. The hair on his head is shortly cropped. He is loud, boistrous, rough, and his love of Dwarven Ale is only outshone by his love for a good battle. He is ferocious and unrelenting, and his ferocity only grows with each hit he takes. It is safe to say, he is NOT the quiet type.

Snowdown on
    edited June 2010
    Valus Caine
    Human Paladin of Bahamut (2)
    Lawful Good

HP: 35 Healing Surge/Day: 12

AC 19 (21 w/ shield)
    Fort 15
    Ref 14 (16 w/ shield)
    Will 15

Languages
    Common
    Dwarf

Skills
    Religion
    Diplomacy
    Insight
    Endurance
    Heal

Feats
    Healing Hands
    Action Surge
    Armor of Bahamut

Class Features
    Channel Divinity
    Divine Challenge
    Lay On Hands

POWERS

At Will
    Bolstering Strike
    Holy Strike
    Valient Strike

Encounter
    Radient Smite

Daily
    On Pain of Death

Utility
    Astral Speech

Gear
    +1 Frost Warhammer
    Plate Armor
    Hvy. Shield
    Standard Adventurers Kit
    3 Healing Potions
    95 Gp

Valus started out the son of a farmer. He grew up believing he would carry on like his father, but as he grew older he began having prophetic dreams, and slowly began to believe some other fate awaited him. When he was old enough he traveled to a nearby city and was soon drawn to a temple of Bahamut. At first he thought he was being called to be a priest, but after some tests done by the priests, he finally understood Bahamut was calling him to become a warrior in his name. After years of training, the day he took the paladin oaths was the proudest of his life.

Rabidredneck on
  • PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I probably missed it but what's the deadline?

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    I have a character to submit. Tough as nails halfling fighter. To describe him briefly, he's a bastard and a killer and cares very little what anyone else has to say about it.

[spoilered for space]
    deBaron has a short memory, and a huge problem with object permanence. His temper runs hot, and he is prone to fits of irrational violence at times, but isn't likely to remember the asshole he beat bloody last night for making a short joke.

He is the way he is largely due to a combination of self-loathing and a strong desire to forget his former life. He's been betrayed in the worst way by the woman he called wife and man he called friend, so now he's out solely for himself. If he's got to hurt somebody to get what he wants... well, that somebody should have gotten out of his way or been strong enough to kill him.

Visually, he's battle-scarred halfling with a clean shaven head, and the scraggly shadow of a beard (unusual among halflings, who almost never have much facial hair). In halfling terms, he's a giant and muscled like an ox. To the larger folk, he probably looks just as short as any other halfling.

I'll get a character sheet up later (level 2, right?).

Here it is. Let me know if you're interested or want more background info.

deBaron "Little Bull" Redspear

immortal squish on
    <3
    edited June 2010
    PepiPopa wrote: »
    I probably missed it but what's the deadline?

Let's say that midnight Friday night is the deadline. We don't require posting in the thread over the weekend, so if we can look through and pick someone and start up Monday again that would be good.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited June 2010
    Mkay i will post something later today.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
    edited June 2010
    Sickle(51CKLE), Warforged Warden

Backstory :
    .... " This unit is excellent.Made by one of the best makers Sickle here can take a dragon on if needed." - The shabby gnome slave peddlers' nose was dripping all over the market place leaving snott everywhere. Except on the perfectly dressed buyer in front of Sickle.

" This will have to do, i guess. How much does this cost?"

" One thousand gold miss and it comes with free equipment on it. A hammer a shield an old armor and a trinket i found him with 3 months ago."
    " Eight hundred gnome and you might keep your ears."The rich woman snarled at him as he again brushed his dripping nose.
    " Yes, yes eight hundred, deal."
    After the gold was payed the war forged turned around and finally spoke.
    "Hello. I am designated unit 51ckle or Sickle whatever is easier for you madam. I am here to serve you until freed or said otherwise." He got close to his new master and whispered.

" And thank you for buying me from that little spewer."
    " Yes, yes machine you just need to know two things about what you will be doing. You WILL be fighting to make my name popular with the common folk and gain the favor of the King. That is what you need to know.If you fight well you will be rewarded by the King himself. If you dont.. You die. If you even understand the term."
    And with that Sickle was loaded into the caravan with the other "luggage" of the madam.

Picture
    Warforged_by_liodain.jpg

There is something about warforged i really like.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
    edited June 2010

I fixed a few things on my character. Previous link should be good to see the updated sheet.

For good measure, I'll include a little additional background explaining why deBaron is the way he is:
    deBaron's mother was obsessed with a human warrior who saved her life, got her pregnant, and left the same day. She didn't even know his father's real name, but she'd made sure deBaron knew that it was his job in life to live up to everything she imagined this man to be. deBaron spent the first 15 years of his life living in this mythical man's shadow, reminded every minute of every day that he was not strong enough, not handsome enough, not chivolrous enough, not tall enough... Even on her deathbed, his mother's last words were that "you arn't half the man your father is..."

His mother passed when he was young, barely the equivalent of a human teen. Even so, deBaron was bigger and stronger than any adult in his halfling village, so he lived by doing odd jobs and menial labor. Though he had plenty of martial training (his mother had made sure of that), deBaron had long ago lost any desire to pursue such a path. He married a halfling lass by the name of Juliette, who was of a similar age. They met when he was hired to do some labor at her family's farm. She had a 'thing' for guys with muscles.

Unfortunately, after a year of being married to a menial laborer with no aspirations, her affections turned to another. Even more tragic, this other man was the only person deBaron considered a friend. deBaron didn't notice the talk around town, he didn't take note of his wife's late night disappearances... but he did notice the other halfling in his bed when he came home early from a cancelled barn construction.

That was the first man he'd ever killed.

That would also have been the first woman, but Juliette was out the door screaming bloody murder while he finished choking the life out of the man he had called friend.

Well, as you may be aware, halfling communities are not accustom to violent crime, especially committed by one of their own. No matter the justification, killing a man and maiming half a dozen guards is the kind of activity that will ensure a prompt removal from the community. And so it was with deBaron. But that was fine by him, he was done with that domestic living crap.

immortal squish on
    <3
    edited June 2010
    Looks like everyone who was interested has gotten their character submission in, so I'm going to go ahead and call this closed. We'll be looking them over through the weekend, and hopefully get back to you soon. Thanks everyone for the great submissions! They look like they are some really nice characters!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited August 2010
    UPDATED 08/19/2010

THREE of my players for The Gladiators have gone MIA. So we're down to 3 players and need to fill the spots. OP has more details and the OP from the thread, to give you an idea of the game. If you're interested, just roll up a character and post it in this thread. I've posted the MIA characters below so you know what races/classes went missing, and below that in the OP are the three remaining characters. Preferably I'd like to have some complimentary races/classes added in.

Roll up a level 4 and use starting gold + 3,200gp for higher level equipment.
    Anything in the books/dragon/dungeon is fair game. If you use Dragon/Dungeon, please copy/paste it for me since I don't subscribe.

Thanks!

MIA Characters:
    Erevan - Eladrin Wizard
    Rubjo - Goblin Warlord
    Canderus - Minotaur Barbarian

Remaining Characters:
    Hippofant - Odunn - Human Seeker
    Tzeentchling - Dakketh Mulbari - Githzerai Monk
    PepiPopa - Sickle(51ckle) - Warforged Warden

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll save you! Maybe?

Kharom, Tiefling Warlord

Image/Token:
    11kzE.png

(Quick) Background (Because I'm seeing this as I leave work):
    Kharom was once a noble in his homeland, and trained as an officer in his kingdom's army, showing a great aptitude for tactics. His understanding of position and movement gave him an invaluable advantage over those he faced. He lived for battle and found solace in the guidance of Kord.

I can flesh this out later if you like.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
    edited August 2010
    So we have a warlord submission, any others interested?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BurningChromeBurningChrome Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am interested, I've rolled a Wizard : Magoria . Let me know if this character will work for you if there is a slot available for me.

-BC

BurningChrome on
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm interested and should have a submission in later today.

ronrab on
  • ahcobrasahcobras Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I am interested as I haven't done one of these yet. I'm thinking about a Kalashtar Ardent or a Battlemind of some sort.

I do have one question: do we get an Expertise feat for free? I've noticed quite a few of the other PbP's here do that.

ahcobras on
  • UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'd like to be considered. I have a minitaur barbarian that I'm playing in Encounters. Is this a level 1 campaign? I can email the .dnd4e file or post character summary if need be. He's a dual wield ragin' cajun type.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I will probably not be submitting a character after all; my apologies. Carry on!

ronrab on