As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kirby's Epic Yarn - more yarn than you can shake a wiimote at

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shoot, my dad still does. He loves Call of Duty and will occasionally partake in some Rock Band.

My mom still tells me to turn that fucking thing off and go outside, however. Except now she adds in "You're 27 years old, time to grow up!"

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Man, I have nothing to add to this thread other than a bunch of gleeful squeeing.

Kirby just makes me irrationally happy in a way no other videogame character can.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think it's perfectly fine to change up the formula a little bit. Plus, I love how creative the art style is. It's on the top of my list for games to purchase.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Wait, your parents played videogames with you?

:cry:

Limed for sad truth. :(

Jealooooous. My [divorce] dad still tries to get me to see sports games. He just doesn't get it.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My dad will still play champions of norrath and perfect dark, among other things. He almost picked up a 360 for the xbox live version of PD.
    Voth wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly fine to change up the formula a little bit. Plus, I love how creative the art style is. It's on the top of my list for games to purchase.

Also, this. I see where people are coming from, in the "it's not really kirby" arguement, but I'd be less interested if they hadn't tried something new.

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Graphics are lovely, but this is by the Brawl team, and the Brawl singleplayer was kind of weak.
    We'll see.

Pretty sure Kirby's Epic Yarn is in development by Good-Feel, which made the awesome Wario Land: Shake It!

So I'm not concerned in the least.

This is my best news of the day. Thankyou.

Wario Land: Shake It! is an absolute gem.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game looks so cute, somehow I've never really played a Kirby platformer.

I've missed so much!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game looks so cute, somehow I've never really played a Kirby platformer.

I've missed so much!

I prescribe Kirby All Stars, stat.

That'll get you caught up.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh damn, I forgot about that game. I'll search for it ASAP.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Play Power Paintbrush/Canvas Curse instead.
    Much better game.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You lie, sir.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks adorably awesome.

simulacrum on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you got a DS Squeak Squad/Superstar/Canvas Curse are all good choice. Canvas Curse doesn't really represent the Kirby Platformers though. If all you have is a Wii Super Star is on the VC now. Kirby's Adventure (another VC title) is also quite good. The other VC titles are Dreamland 3 (kinda meh) and Kirby 64 (I've never played that one).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    If you got a DS Squeak Squad/Superstar/Canvas Curse are all good choice. Canvas Curse doesn't really represent the Kirby Platformers though. If all you have is a Wii Super Star is on the VC now. Kirby's Adventure (another VC title) is also quite good. The other VC titles are Dreamland 3 (kinda meh) and Kirby 64 (I've never played that one).

Stay Away from Squeak Squad, or at least make it your last choice.

It's not a bad game, not at all. It's just way, way too easy.

If you can find Kirby & the Amazing Mirror that's probably my favorite traditional one made recently.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'll take a look at these title, thanks for the suggestions!

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This does look pretty excellent. They visuals remind me a bit of Little King's Story, which is excellent! At first I was disappointed that it didn't use the Melee engine, but this looks way better.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Did Kirby even get his different powers in that game by absorbing enemies? I couldn't tell.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Dritz wrote: »

Stay Away from Squeak Squad, or at least make it your last choice.

It's not a bad game, not at all. It's just way, way too easy.

If you can find Kirby & the Amazing Mirror that's probably my favorite traditional one made recently.

Amazing mirror is one of the best. Simply for the Metroidvania aspect of it.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drswords wrote: »
    I have a story. This is a story of the NES, a young boy, and a single mother looking to reach out to her child.

~ Dr S Words, June 17th 2010

I am feeling all fuzzy inside! Don't do this to me! D:

As for recommendations, any argument that Canvas Curse doesn't represent Kirby games is nullified by the extreme amounts of awesome that the game contains.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    So the blue guy is US Kirby, obviously.

And I never played the original Kirby, but I'm pretty sure his ability to copy powers was something that came in later games.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    So the blue guy is US Kirby, obviously.

And I never played the original Kirby, but I'm pretty sure his ability to copy powers was something that came in later games.

It actually came about in his second game. Kirby's Adventure.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game is absolutely beautiful. Between this, Rayman and Donkey Kong we'll have our hands full with great 2d plaformers this year.

Judging by the coop videos it would seem Kirby can't puff to fly in this game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kirby's a nice sandbox for developers.
    Dev:" oh I have this Yarn idea. I don't think it'll work as a stand alone IP"
    Nintendo: Use Kirby
    Dev: cool

Squeak squad showed me traditional Kirby cannnot work unless they shake up the formula in some manner .
    It was so bland even the ultimate star macguffin was a fucking gold butter churn

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love the angry blue crown wearin' Kirby for Player 2.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My concern with this is that it will probably be incredibly easy, at least if Squeak Squad is anything to go by.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Rami wrote: »
    My concern with this is that it will probably be incredibly easy, at least if Squeak Squad is anything to go by.

I wouldnt use Squeak Squad as anything to go by in Dreamland.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    must...resist....hanging by a thread joke...

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't know, does anyone else think the characters look a little
    8-)
    hollow.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope this game turns out to be great. I'd be crushed if Nintendo was just
    8-)
    stringing me along

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I hope this game turns out to be great. I'd be crushed if Nintendo wasn't just
    8-)
    stringing me along

To get this game is going to be difficult for me.

I might have to...

pull some strings...

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Seems like this new design aesthetic allows for some interesting story opportunities. Hopefully they come up with an interesting one that is self-contained. I'd hate for any potential sequel to have to...
    8-)
    tie up loose ends...

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have opinions about this game that I am gonna post in this...
    8-)
    thread...

Too obvious?

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Why there are 74 posts in the Kirby Epic Yarn thread.

Just look at that

thread count.

( KILLED IT )

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This game does knot look bad. The gameplay will probably leave us in stitches.

I don't want to knit pick, but the physics are only sew sew, and it doesn't look like Kirby can scarf down enemies anymore. He also can't zip around like he used to, but hopefully the devs can button up these issues before release. Hopefully they won't have to patch it later...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't want to knit pick, but the physics are only sew sew, and it doesn't look like Kirby can scarf down enemies anymore. He also can't zip around like he used to, but hopefully the devs can button up these issues before release. Hopefully they won't have to patch it later...

Excuse me. Im going to go hang myself.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010

You needle-ittle perspective on these things. Your comment on the physics is pure fabrication, the physics looked seamlessly integrated into gameplay. Eating enemies is old hat, kirby has moved on to bigger and better things. I'm sure they can mend any flaws between now and release time. I'll be darned if they give us a sub par product.

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Drswords wrote: »

Excuse me. Im going to go hang myself.

I'm just saying it doesn't quite have the fabric that makes up a Kirby game, they haven't crafted it quite the same way. But I guess none of us have plaid it yet.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    STOP IT.... you are tearing this family apart....

thread by thread!

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You're coming apart at the seams, pull yourself together!

pyromaniac221 on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This looks like it's gonna' be a ball and I can't wait to take it for a spin. :D

Also, am i the only one who's got Winter Wonderland stuck in their head for some reason after watching that trailer?

Sorenson on