As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Red Dead Redemption] Co-op DLC available now.

• DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Where is the first part of "I Know You"? I just finished Mexico, there's no sign of it on my map, and the stats window doesn't mention it.

e: Nevermind, finally found it.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • [toj.cc]blackgravity[toj.cc]blackgravity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    sent friend request to 2nd metatag.

i don't have a LOT of time to play stuff extensively online, as I work a ton and have a 3 year old, but I should have a week off from work here in about a week and a half, this seems pretty cool online. i actually just started playing online tonight, and spent about 30 minutes in a gauntlet of 3 level 50 people. they seemed to be banded together in the goal of raping my face, so every kill i got was celebrated

:D

[toj.cc]blackgravity on
    blackgrav1ty.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think there are only a set number of Stranger missions. You can do the before the final story parts or after, I don't think it matters.

DouglasDanger on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just killed a few hours and a few hundred lowlifes, I must say I'm glad I finally got around to buying this. One weird thing though:
    I lost my very first horse rather quick in a wolf attack, and when I found my way back to Armadillo I came across a saddled, unowned horse, twice as good as the one I had with more muscle and similar colours, just sitting in front of the Sheriff's office waiting for me. I was happy and scratching my head at once, but didn't question it.

A few hours in I get around to learning the lasso and getting another new horse after leaving the first horse back at the ranch. I had it for about 10 minutes, then went and did a quick mission with Seth. The one where you steal a horse to get the lawmen away from Seth so he can talk to Moses. When I got back to the meeting point on the stolen horse, my new lasso'd horse was gone and my first horse was back. I had already by this point been whistling this new lasso horse to me so I was surprised to see my other horse back.

I assume you can only have one horse at a time in this game so I am left to conclude that my steed is stalking me and killed my lasso steed, which was pretty much on par with him anyways.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    So I just killed a few hours and a few hundred lowlifes, I must say I'm glad I finally got around to buying this. One weird thing though:
    I lost my very first horse rather quick in a wolf attack, and when I found my way back to Armadillo I came across a saddled, unowned horse, twice as good as the one I had with more muscle and similar colours, just sitting in front of the Sheriff's office waiting for me. I was happy and scratching my head at once, but didn't question it.

A few hours in I get around to learning the lasso and getting another new horse after leaving the first horse back at the ranch. I had it for about 10 minutes, then went and did a quick mission with Seth. The one where you steal a horse to get the lawmen away from Seth so he can talk to Moses. When I got back to the meeting point on the stolen horse, my new lasso'd horse was gone and my first horse was back. I had already by this point been whistling this new lasso horse to me so I was surprised to see my other horse back.

I assume you can only have one horse at a time in this game so I am left to conclude that my steed is stalking me and killed my lasso steed, which was pretty much on par with him anyways.
    You need to hitch a horse after breaking it, that saves it as your steed.

-SPI- on
  • MR445MR445 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Hm, I may have glitched things out.

Level 10 Hunter Spoilers:
    So I was on the final bear for my Hunter Challenge, and I camped out near that rock, because I wanted to search for the Bear in daylight. I wake up, and instantly it says "You have found the legendary bear."

We fight, and I shoot it with my pistol, and start skinning it when about 4 wolves come running up during the skinning animation. So I immedately spin around and shoot them all. Because of this, I never got any message about leveling up. It just saved and moved on. I even checked the Brief section of the journal to see if I missed it and nothing. I looked up what it did, and saw I can now make Vittles. So I went and killed something and got me some vittles.

Since then however, Ive killed about 4 wolves (random event, they were chasing a guy), and didnt get anything from them. No Vittles. Is this a glitch or a bug because I didnt let the messages play out? Or do you just get vittles randomly from animals?

I've noticed that too, it's only said I've received vittles and tonic the first time I got them. If you check your bag they should be there, max stack of 5, although I don't think you get them every single time.

Level 10 treasure hunter spoiler
    I think you can carry 10 with the treasure hunter's satchel but I can't confirm it. The game has been giving me the glitch where it randomly decides I don't have the increased consumable space and drops all my consumables from 10 back down to 5.

MR445 on
    XBL: MR445
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well shit

I finally finished the last mission last night
    Great ending, I was expecting Abigail to die and for John to be wracked with regret at being unable to save her

When John opened the barn door I was like, "No, what the fuck are you doing, we can take these guys if you don't act like a dipshit!"

Anyways, I just found out today that Jack can get revenge, so I'll probably do that when I get off work

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2010
    Endgame
    I think John sacrificed himself so his family could have peace. He knew that if he ran Ross would find him. And Ross couldn't let him go, you can't retire with a loose thread like that hanging out

John couldn't shoot it out of there because Ross brought the goddamned Army after him, just like he did to Dutch. Sure, maybe you could have taken out the first 50 guys, but that is only a couple platoons.

DouglasDanger on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endgame
    I think John sacrificed himself so his family could have peace. He knew that if he ran Ross would find him. And Ross couldn't let him go, you can't retire with a loose thread like that hanging out

John couldn't shoot it out of there because Ross brought the goddamned Army after him, just like he did to Dutch. Sure, maybe you could have taken out the first 50 guys, but that is only a couple platoons.

Yeah, I got that and thought it was great, but my gut reactions upon it happening were along the lines of
    "You idiot! We can still salvage this!"

joshofalltrades on
    edited June 2010
    Endgame

Yeah, I got that and thought it was great, but my gut reactions upon it happening were along the lines of

It is hard to not to think like that, especially when some of the missions have a huge body count. I know RDR is an action movie spagetti-western influenced fantasy, but I wish there were less goons.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, pretty much.
    Even on some of the minor missions I killed more mooks than the paltry amount standing outside my barn. Plus, I got used to being able to take a bullet here and there. Regardless, it ended up a lot better than if everything had just been sunshine and rainbows.

joshofalltrades on
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Endgame

But John doesn't want to salvage it. His family is escaping, if he escapes too they'll just be captured again and used as a tool against him. And it's clear now that the government is never going to let him live in peace. Killing those soldiers outside would have been the epitome of futility.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You guys were so right about cougars. I just got straight up assassinated by 2 of them out by Fort Mercer while trying to get a lady's cart back for her.

I couldn't hardly fire 2 shots at them before I got mauled.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ScarboroughScarborough Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just finished game
    please tell me I can go after Ross... PLEASE!

Scarborough on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just finished game

you haven't finished the game

Joolander on
    edited June 2010
    Just finished game
    You can go after Ross

Go to Blackwater

joshofalltrades on
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there a point where the amount of hostile critters in the game skyrockets? Working my way up the Fort Mercer missions, I only saw 10 or so wolfpacks and 5 cougars total, but right before I did the actual assault I encountered atleast 40 wolves and 10 cougar on the way there. Now just leaving town is a risk.

EtherealWalrus on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay I have to be honest here. I'm (probably?) almost out of Mexico and

Plot/Game Criticism
    While I like this game the pacing is just shit. Absolute shit. I was tired of chasing Bill Williamson ten or more missions ago. And it's probably going to be several more before I (MAYBE?) catch the fucker. I am so fucking tired of watching John go "okay" and shoot an implausible amount of people for implausible reasons as an excuse to pad the mission count of this game without actually progressing the plot in any meaningful way.

I think the plot could have benefitted from Johns gang having consisted of more people, and each of them comprising on their own a mission arc that had some semblance of natural progression. Just...ugh.

I like the gameplay, I really do, it's a beautiful world but the missions that are supposed to showcase these things kind of suck. Good narrative concept, terrible narrative execution so far. 7/10 sounds about right

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Okay I have to be honest here. I'm (probably?) almost out of Mexico and

Plot/Game Criticism
    While I like this game the pacing is just shit. Absolute shit. I was tired of chasing Bill Williamson ten or more missions ago. And it's probably going to be several more before I (MAYBE?) catch the fucker. I am so fucking tired of watching John go "okay" and shoot an implausible amount of people for implausible reasons as an excuse to pad the mission count of this game without actually progressing the plot in any meaningful way.

I think the plot could have benefitted from Johns gang having consisted of more people, and each of them comprising on their own a mission arc that had some semblance of natural progression. Just...ugh.

I like the gameplay, I really do, it's a beautiful world but the missions that are supposed to showcase these things kind of suck. Good narrative concept, terrible narrative execution so far. 7/10 sounds about right

You should go read my post like a page or two ago because I agree with you. The story bored me most of the time becausye John just kept doing silly things to get at people you don't care about finding.

DarkWarrior on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I can't believe I actually forced myself through those last terrible missions for an equally terrible ending, dont think I've been this disappointed since KOTOR 2

If anyone gets to missions where they have to start rustling cattle and transporting grain near the end - just stop there and save yourself a few hours of boredom

override367 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ^ Do not listen to this man, his opinion is the minority.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2010
    Rustling cattle is annoying. And from having just started Mexico, I entirely agree even now with Fiaryn on the story progression. It's noticeably lacking compared to the rest of the game and the setting.

So I just did a pickup Free Roam. First one I got in I dropped right into a firefight in Chuparosa and was like "Sweet!", and I spent about an hour there killing boatloads of mexican banditos and 3 other guys. After that a few left and the other guy went off to do his own thing, and I went off to clear off some bandits in Gaptooth Breach before hopping to another Free Roam.

A few boring hops later I decide to settle on a quiet one with only 2 guys all the way out in Mexico, who ignored me the whole time. I went into the Armadillo Saloon and shot up the place for a good 20 minutes, killing waves of lawmen, and getting wanted and public enemy quickly, in an attempt to get the Wanted trophy. As I go to make my escape I get swarmed by the train station by a good 8 guys and kill most of them before getting shot in the back.
    I'm thinking I might need to get really lucky, on foot or with finding a steed, to get that trophy down, or get someone to help me out. Other then that though, I enjoyed Free Roam for what it is and see that it clearly needs more content.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2010
    Rustling cattle is something you kill the shit out of the gang in Pike's Basin for.

Herding cattle is a gameplay mechanic. I think it is fine. It is fun and easy and really sets the atmosphere and setting. You just have to slow yourself way down. Stroll your horse around the back of the herd. That's all there is to it.

The guy saying the end of the game is awful is a goddamned silly goose.

DouglasDanger on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rustling cattle is something you kill the shit out of the gang in Pike's Basin for.

Herding cattle is a gameplay mechanic. I think it is fine. It is fun and easy and really sets the atmosphere and setting. You just have to slow yourself way down. Stroll your horse around the back of the herd. That's all there is to it.

If I could lime this shit twice

You know what bitches

I just did

Kazaka on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Anyone who says the ending to this game is bad is wrong

Objectively

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited June 2010
    I won't comment on the ending till I reach it over the dead bodies of at least a thousand dead scumbags and maybe some cougars, boars and bears for good measure.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited June 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Rustling cattle is annoying. And from having just started Mexico, I entirely agree even now with Fiaryn on the story progression. It's noticeably lacking compared to the rest of the game and the setting.

Even before Mexico it was kind of beginning to drag. Mexico was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I cannot fucking wait for Mexico to be over.

Fiaryn on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The story does pick up after Mexico

But Mexico gives you the poncho so it's okay

In fact, I might be totally off base here, but I almost feel like the three different areas of the game correspond to different eras in western film - New Austin is the spaghetti westerns, Mexico is the meaner, bloodier Peckinpah stuff, and West Elizabeth is revisionist

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that's how I read it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2010
    Dammit, my Gentleman's Attire isn't available for some reason even though I've finished the game and have been signed up to Rockstar's Social Club since the very first mission.

Bogart on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

In fact, I might be totally off base here, but I almost feel like the three different areas of the game correspond to different eras in western film - New Austin is the spaghetti westerns, Mexico is the meaner, bloodier Peckinpah stuff, and West Elizabeth is revisionist

Now that you say it

I agree

Dox the PI on
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is anyone else annoyed that
    Ross isnt the least bit worried/bothered that I have his wife on the back of my horse when i show up?

I dont endorse gunning ross down in front of his wife and then putting a bullet in her so they can both be gone, I was hoping for added dialog...

However it would have been from "cracker" jack marston... damn it john marston has no son!

farbekrieg on
  • Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes people's complaints on the internet make me feel far too easy to please.

I expected GTA4 in the West. That's pretty much what I got, but with some neat surprises and twists.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sometimes people's complaints on the internet make me feel far too easy to please.

I expected GTA4 in the West. That's pretty much what I got, but with some neat surprises and twists.

I expected western GTA 4 but without horribly annoying missions that involve Jumping into a Helicopter and having no checkpoint before that jump that cause you to replay the precedeing 20 minute segment over and over again.

So I won too.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I've only had two vittles at the same time, so there may be a limit.

Also,
    Jack's 'YEEHAW!!!"'s are getting really old. Also, how many stranger missions are there after you become Jack? I wasn't even aware there were any but lo and behold, The Wronged Woman. Also, I was confused by the way that ended.
    The knocked up girl was laughing at the funeral? That doesn't jive at all with her reactions beforehand. If she was supposed to be some kind of con-artist, it wasn't pulled off very well.
    I did "The Wronged Woman" as John. So its not Jack's specifically.

And she was a con woman, and I only realized it after trotting away and thinking that I was confused.

She names him, names where he's at and tells her sob story.
    You go find the guy, and he has no idea what youre talking about. As John Marston, John said "Listen I know you want to keep this quiet so lets just get her on her feet, ok?" and the guy was like "What the hell is your problem? I dont know any Clara!" and John was like "LISTEN, I KNOW. So lets not make this harder, do the right thing." And the guy challenged John to a duel for implying he wasnt faithful.

So after seeing the guy's wife, and she says she saw that slut Clara there and doesnt even know why she'd be there, let alone laughing, I started to realize --- the dude was telling the truth. He had no idea who she was. She just named a guy that she knew frequented the bar, so I'd rob him.

I am still looking for Clara so I can fucking shoot her.
    That, or the guy denied it to the end. He challenged John to a duel to keep him quiet and scare Clara (so she doesn't get anyone else to help). Why would the wife know Clara and why she was there? It's not like cheating husbands fill their wives in on who they are sleeping with.

If you go to your stats you can see notes on your finished Strangers missions.
    The notes straight up say that Clara was a con artist.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited June 2010
    I'm a bit puzzled now by all the "How do you get High Roller" posts I'd seen in the past. Seemed pretty simple to me

Step 1: Play Poker at Black Water

That's it. That's all you need to do. I cleaned out everyone at a Poker table in Blackwater, which was way more than I needed, and actually got it on my first winning hand with their tendency to bet huge there.

Fiaryn on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i FINALLY beat Red Dead last night, and well no spoilers, just: awesome

Hawk on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I've noticed that, after downloading the last patch for RDR, my game is BONKERS glitchy. Before the patch I had rarely seen a glitch happen, not it's pretty much constant. There are side quests I can't finish in Blackwater because the NPC's are glitched and the buildings in towns are appearing like they should (i.e. in Blackwater, the building walls are see-through if I turn around too quickly). This is crazy... (I'm on the 360 for comparison)

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

I'd agree as well, but then again Mexico couldn't be a more obvious Wild Bunch tribute if it tried.

Xagarath on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is there's any kind of trick for getting bounties to appear? On my checklist for %100 completion its one of the only things I'm really lacking in. I still needa bunch of bounty locations. I feel like I do them every time they're available though. Any way to make them show up more? I'm doing a lot of standing around now...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    You need to do 8 in Austin, 8 in Mexico and 4 in Elizabeth. Cant have the bandana on. Sleep, I tend to save twice to get it back to daylight, then if its around after 9 if you go over to where theyre posted a cop will eventually come and put them up.

DarkWarrior on
This discussion has been closed.